All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 Kiwi Vikings & Aussies
 Lost family from Norsewood New Zealand
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

NearNorsewood
Kiwi Viking special member

New Zealand
138 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2005 :  11:26:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anne Marie MORTENSEN was buried at Norsewood Cemetery. The records name her as Anne Mary. She was known to our family as Anna Maria.

Headstone inscription recorded as: Johan Fredrick MORTENSEN died 1886 aged 61, at rest, his beloved wife Anne Mary MORTENSEN died 1893 aged 72, at rest. (I plan to check this by going to the cemetery.)

quote:
Originally posted by Brining

Hi Natalie, Are you sure that Oline was Fredrick's 1st wife? On the Digitalarkivet there is a Fredrik Mortensen, wife Anne Marie and 5 children sailing on the Hovding Click Here
In the 1865 census they are living in Christiana (Oslo) with 6 children Click Here so Marthe Mathilde either stayed behind, died or possibly married and is sailing under a different name. Carl Fredrik/Fritjof could be your Fritjof. If you have any birth years, maybe you can confirm if this is your family. Also you should see if you can find a death record for Anne Marie or marriage for Fredrik and Oline
One of the children's birth record is on the LDS Click Here which lists Anne Marie's last name as Halvorsdatter
Carla

Marthe Mathilde came to New Zealand via Australia. She was widowed (in Australia?), then married a SOWRY.

There is a Martha Matilda SOWRY (38yrs) buried in the Old Gorge Cemetery near Woodville (Woodville is south of Norsewood).

The date of death is not recorded, but the funeral date was 28/10/1890 (D/M/Y). Particulars furnished 27/10/1890 by Joseph SOWRY.

Pip
=====
Norsewood Cemetery & Settlers' Genealogies Project
www.norsewoodcemetery.co.nz
Go to Top of Page

NearNorsewood

New Zealand
138 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2005 :  11:33:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Borge

I can supply the names for the above photo which was taken on 20th Sept 1922.

BACK ROW: Ole LUND, O.O. NORDBYE, C.A. PETERSEN, E.A. (Edvart ANDERSEN) LARVIG (?? LAURVIG), Emmanuel FREDERIKSEN, Christian CHRISTIANSEN, Knud ANDERSEN.
FRONT ROW: Ole JOHANSEN, Mrs (Maren Helena HALVORSDATTER) MANDELL (?? MANDAHL), Mrs Ole GUNDERSEN, Mrs Jens NEILSEN, Mrs Hans OLSEN, Mrs Ole CHRISTOPHERSEN, Mrs Peter LARSEN, Mrs John PETERSEN, Mrs Theodor ANDRERSSON (?? Maren (HANSDATTER) ANDREASEN), Mrs HERBERT, Mrs (Johanne JOHANSDATTER) CHRISTIANSEN.

The names recorded in brackets like "(?? NAME)" are corrected spellings of the names recorded in the book "NORSEWOOD, the Centennial Story" by A.L. ANDERSEN
(See http://www.norsewoodcemetery.co.nz/resources/book-norsewood-centennial.php for book details)

Pip
=====

Edited by - NearNorsewood on 08/01/2010 01:29:10
Go to Top of Page

knut storerud
Starting member

Norway
13 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2005 :  23:12:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you know if there where any familys from Grimstad or Landvik who emigrated to New Zealand
Go to Top of Page

NearNorsewood

New Zealand
138 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2005 :  00:51:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, Knut.

quote:
Originally posted by knut storerud

Do you know if there where any familys from Grimstad or Landvik who emigrated to New Zealand

I cannot find any in the records from the 1872 or 1873 sailings of the Høvding from Kristiania to Napier. Cannot comment on other immigrants.

Pip
=====
Go to Top of Page

lolomaredward
New on board

Australia
3 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2005 :  16:49:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Natalie

Dear Kay
Yes my Grandfather got the information you sent, thanx.

how far can you trace the family back in Norway? This seems to be the re-ecurring promblem i have been facing, i can't go any further back than Fritjofs parents. I have all the records of them and thier children, but thats it. I t seems to be a bit complicated with their last names as i have many alternatives for Karl Fritjofs mothers last name; Halversen, Halversdatter, Alversen etc

However the good new is, you must be my about my half 3rd cousin or something, you are equivelent to my Father in the generations.

Nice to finally have found someone related to us, my grandfather was very happy.

Talk again soon,
Nat

Go to Top of Page

lolomaredward
New on board

Australia
3 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2005 :  17:04:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
I am the great granddaughter of Augusta Frederika Mortensen and Frederick William Redward. Augusta's parents were Johan Fredrik & Anne Marie Mortensen. Augusta was the sister of Carl Fritjof Mortensen. The one that took of to Australia and left his wife Julia and kids.
My grandfather was their youngest child Francis Huia Redward. I think he died in 1960 at the age of 56 and was buried in Dannevirke.
I live in Perth, Western Australia, am 55 years old and didn't know any of you existed until tonight. I was told that my grandfather was illegitimate and that where his history stopped, and it was never spoken of again. Pleased to know that you are all out there and would like to hear from any other family. My husband and I hope to visit Norway at the beginning of next year and would like to find any lost family.

ola <prtemsem
quote:
Originally posted by NearNorsewood

Anne Marie MORTENSEN was buried at Norsewood Cemetery. The records name her as Anne Mary. She was known to our family as Anna Maria.

Headstone inscription recorded as: Johan Fredrick MORTENSEN died 1886 aged 61, at rest, his beloved wife Anne Mary MORTENSEN died 1893 aged 72, at rest. (I plan to check this by going to the cemetery.)

quote:
Originally posted by Brining

Hi Natalie, Are you sure that Oline was Fredrick's 1st wife? On the Digitalarkivet there is a Fredrik Mortensen, wife Anne Marie and 5 children sailing on the Hovding Click Here
In the 1865 census they are living in Christiana (Oslo) with 6 children Click Here so Marthe Mathilde either stayed behind, died or possibly married and is sailing under a different name. Carl Fredrik/Fritjof could be your Fritjof. If you have any birth years, maybe you can confirm if this is your family. Also you should see if you can find a death record for Anne Marie or marriage for Fredrik and Oline
One of the children's birth record is on the LDS Click Here which lists Anne Marie's last name as Halvorsdatter
Carla

Marthe Mathilde came to New Zealand via Australia. She was widowed (in Australia?), then married a SOWRY.

There is a Martha Matilda SOWRY (38yrs) buried in the Old Gorge Cemetery near Woodville (Woodville is south of Norsewood).

The date of death is not recorded, but the funeral date was 28/10/1890 (D/M/Y). Particulars furnished 27/10/1890 by Joseph SOWRY.

Go to Top of Page

NearNorsewood

New Zealand
138 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2005 :  10:21:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, Loloma.

It was good to get your email.

I have been contacted by a distant Norwegian relative - a descendant of Andrea Lovise HAGEN (daughter of Anne Marie MORTENSEN nee HALVORSDATTER) - who lives in Oslo.

Pip
=====
Go to Top of Page

lolomaredward
New on board

Australia
3 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2005 :  14:22:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi and thank for your reply. I would like to contact the distant Norwegian relative in Oslo or she can contact me. Can you arrange that? I would also like to know more about the Frederick William Redward my ggf as I have not been able to find out anything much about him? Would appreciate any help!
Go to Top of Page

cbright
New on board

New Zealand
2 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2005 :  20:52:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello to members of this Mortensen and Redward (Norsewood) Forum.

Anyone wanting assistance you are most welcome to contact me.
Go to Top of Page

tracyd
New on board

New Zealand
1 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2006 :  05:02:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are any of these Mortensens from the same branch as Tom or Vi Mortensen (Eketahuna/Masterton/Mauriceville area possibly?). My great Grandmother (Grace May Goodgame) was married to a Mortensen who died tragically in a fire apparently. Desperate to find a link somewhere - all help and advice gratefully received

www.tracyduncan.co.nz
Go to Top of Page

cbright
New on board

New Zealand
2 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2006 :  01:11:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No. The Mortensen family from Mauriceville area are Danish not Norwegian. I have sent information direct by E-mail to assist in your research tracyd.
Go to Top of Page

JPWinger
New on board

New Zealand
1 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2021 :  19:44:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, I'm new to this forum - my 4yr old 2nd Great Grandfather Gustav (Ludwig) Daniel Winger emmigrated on the Hovdig in 1872 - here is a link to the passenger list for the Hovdig - https://www.geni.com/projects/New-Zealand-Settler-Ships-H%C3%B8vding-1872/12817, hope it helps. Regards, JP
quote:
Originally posted by Borge

quote:
Originally posted by Natalie

ok thankyou, very much. do you know of any people on this site who are realated to the norsewood pioneers, do i have to look them up on the members index?

The best thing is just to be patient and let them find you. There is no passenger list as I konw of for the Høvding, but the passengers can be found in the lists of emigrants made up by the Norwegian police. You will find Fredrik Mortensen and family leaving from Kristiania (now Oslo) registered there (just follow the link). Here is the Fredriksen family

I have to ask that all postings regarding the Mortensens on the Høvding in 1872 are kept to this tread from now on, this to make it possible to keep the structure on the board here. I will delete any other posts regarding the same topic posted elsewhere. Please read the Posting Guidelines

JP Winger
lavidalocations@gmail.com
Norway - New Zealand - USA
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article