All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Ole Halstad
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Debra

USA
71 Posts

Posted - 25/09/2003 :  15:56:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking for information regarding Ole Halstad. Halstad MN USA is named after him as he was one of first settlers there in 1871. He married an Anne Nelson who was either my grandmother's sister or aunt. I believe they lived in MN most of their lives? Both Ole and Anne came from Norway. Two of their children may have been named Louise and Olea but I am not positive about this. Any information to help me fill in these pieces would be appreciated. Debra (yes, this is me still trying to put my grandmother's life pieces together)

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 25/09/2003 :  17:24:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
I guess this must be your Ole Halstad living in Halstead, MN in the 1880-census:

• Ole Halstad, male, 35y, farmer, born in Norway, living in Halstead, Polk, Minnesota
  • Anne G Halstad, female, 36y, born in Norway, living in Halstead, Polk, Minnesota
  • John O Halstad, male, 12y, born in Mn, living in Halstead, Polk, Minnesota
  • Baerent O Halstad, male, 7y, born in Mn, living in Halstead, Polk, Minnesota
  • Richart Halstad, male, 1y, born in Mn, living in Halstead, Polk, Minnesota

Btw; there are 289 people living in the Township of Halstead in 1880...

Since their oldest son is born in MN, I would guess they've emmigrated around 1860-1867.

I couldn't find him in the norw. 1865-census, so he might have left just before. There is one Ole Indor Halstad living in the city of Trondheim, but he is but approx. 11 years older than your Ole. He is born in Beitstaden, Nord-Trøndelag county.
There is also one Hans Halstad, born ca. 1823, but he is not married. Your Ole looks to be born in 1845. It could of course be a link.... View the norw. 1865-census here.

Jan
Go to Top of Page

Jo Anne Sadler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
1100 Posts

Posted - 25/09/2003 :  19:32:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
By 1900, Halstad is now in Norman County, MN. If it is the same Ole in the 1880 census, it appears Ole was married twice, both times to women named Anne:

Halstad, Norman County, MN, ED 125, page 10 dated 6-25-1900:
Ole Halstad, born June 1844, 55 years old, born Norway, married (22 crossed out) 7years, immigrated 1865, years in US 35, (NA-Naturalization applied for), Farmer.
Anne, wife, born Aug 1869, 30, years old, married 7 years, number of children 4, number of children living 4, born Norway, immigrated 1892, years in US, 8.
Olaf-born May 1872, Alfred-Sept.1886, Carl-June 1894, Oscar-Feb. 1896, And?-son, Sept. 1897, Nicholas, Jan 1900. - all children born in Minnesota.

The Polk & Norman County Historical Societies may be of assistance. In 1895, there was a federally funded project for all counties in the US to publish county histories and as an early pioneer, he would most likely would have been included.

Go to Top of Page

Brining
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
868 Posts

Posted - 25/09/2003 :  21:41:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The 1885 Norman County Census has him married to Anne age 41 born in Norway. There is also a Maria born Norway age 20 listed with them but I wonder if this is a daughter or servant or other relative.
The Norman County Marriage Index has him marrying Anne Nelson June 21 1893.
I didn't find the 1st Anne in the death record index but if you look under cemeteries there is a referance to a grave on the Ole Halstead farm. Norman County
Carla
Go to Top of Page

Jo Anne Sadler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
1100 Posts

Posted - 25/09/2003 :  22:41:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Under the Norwan County (link provided by Brining) the Death Index lists an Ole Halstad, died July 6, 1893, a date which is prior to the MN Historical Society Death Index which starts in 1907.
I did a quick search for the 1910 Halstad, Norman County census but could not find Ole Halstad so there is a good chance that he did die in 1893.
There are Norman County marriage indexes for Carl & Nicolai. Found some of the children in the MN Death Index 1907-1996:
http://people.mnhs.org/dci/Search.cfm.
Go to Top of Page

Debra

USA
71 Posts

Posted - 26/09/2003 :  03:19:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am so confused! I found the same info about Ole and got confused about the dates too until you mentioned he was maybe married to two Anne's but some of those dates are confusing too. Then to add to the confusion, I listened to my video with Mom telling about her Undlce who Halstad MN was named after and says on there that her mother's sister SARAH was married to him!! That makes everything even more confusing AND that they had two daughters Louise and Olea (named after Ole). I found Louise's marriage license to Edwin Nelson in Norman county stuff on the Internet but I can't seem to find anything more out about any of them. There must be another Ole about that time (grandmother came over about 1897 from Norway and I thought her sisters came with her but not positive?). The more I get in to this family tree, the more confused I am getting BUTit is very addicting lol!!

Mom was getting old when I taped some of this stuff but she sounded quite definite about Ole and Sarah and the kids Louise and Olea. If anyone can find this bunch of people I sure would appreciate it. This has become very interesting trying to figure out what happened to Ole from Halstad and his family--or was Sarah's REAL name Anne LOLOL. I just don't know what is going on there.

Thanks for the help, Debra
Go to Top of Page

Brining
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
868 Posts

Posted - 26/09/2003 :  07:11:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Debra, A couple of possibilities, there was a son Ole(Olaf) who could have married a Sarah and had the daughters. If Ole Sr died in 1903 (Jo Anne miss typed the date) there was still time to have had 2 more children or the death is for Ole Jr. His second wife could have been Anne Sarah or they just called her Sarah to avoid confusion because his 1st wife was Anne. Hopefully copies of the death certificate and marriage records will tell you more.
Carla
Go to Top of Page

Debra

USA
71 Posts

Posted - 26/09/2003 :  15:45:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Carla, My sister and I have been trying to think this out and we came up with something like that too although some names and dates weren't quite right. She is going to try to find something in Mom's papers that will help us. She has all of Mom's stuff and there may be things in there that will help with everything but she is just too busy to go through it all and it is old. I would love to right now as I am really getting in to all of this. We are thinking that Sarah would have came over with grandmother but not sure and that would make the first dates too early (grandmother came over in 1897 according to the census). We have lost several of her sibling, Mom only remembered Mary and Sarah but said she (grandmother) had five girls and three boys in family. I don't want to lose all these people. This list has been so helpful although I realize I don't have enough reliable information to go on to help you all help me. Mom made that definite statement on the video though that her Uncle Ole was who the town was named after and he was married to her Aunt Sarah? It just doesn't seem to quite all fit and it has got me really searching and my sister is bugging me every night about what I have found as she is fascinated about the whole thing too.
Debra
Go to Top of Page

Debra

USA
71 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2003 :  03:45:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all your help. I have found the granddaughter and grandson of Ole and Anna Halstad. I talked with the grandson last night and hope to talk to the granddaughter tomorrow. You were right than Ole was married twice and both were Anne's, well my grandmother's sister that was married to him (2nd marriage) was Anna. I didn't find out any good information so far about my grandparents as their grandparents were dead by the time they were born (they are in their 70s). Anyway, I am quite excited I have found someone anyway and maybe we can find out something from that? That Carl and Nicolai that were mentioned were Anna and Ole's sons so they were my mother's cousins. I am hoping to get dates on them now too. This is fun, putting the puzzle together. Deb
Go to Top of Page

Debra

USA
71 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2003 :  15:42:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just wanted to add an udate here. I have since found the family of Anna (my relation) and Ole Halstad. I have actually talked to their grandchildren on the phone and have found out lots of information about their families and Halstad Minnesota but still haven't been able to find out much about my grandmother (Anna's sister) as they didn't know any more about her than we learned about our grandmother! I am still working on it, have sent for Anna's marriage license and death certificate hoping some names will be on one of them? Thanks for all your help but as far as this part of my searching, I have found what I need to know, thanks. Debra
Go to Top of Page

Tricia_M
New on board

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 21/09/2005 :  01:33:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey, my name is patricia may and i know a josh halstad that is my age (15) and i know that his great great grandfather (or something like that) is Ole Halstad and he lives in hendrum. I only know that his step-mom is named Echo something or other and their phone # is ***********
I would also appreciate it if you did not tell them who you have recieved this info from.

Edited by - Borge on 21/09/2005 21:26:57
Go to Top of Page

Jo Anne Sadler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
1100 Posts

Posted - 21/09/2005 :  17:39:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is not good manners to publish another person's phone number on the Internet without their permission and then don't want your name mentioned. I did not think you would appreciate someone doing this to you.

You can send emails on this forum offline.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article