All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 PASSENGER LISTS AND EMIGRANTS
 Hunting Passenger Lists
 Seeking help with passenger lists!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2011 :  09:55:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When Sophie Jacobsdatter was confirmed, the parents were living at Nordvolden, see #47.
quote:
I know that his wife, Josephine Magdalene Hanson, was born in Norway on 20 August 1849
- the baptismal record for Josephine Magdalene Olsdatter is #84.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 10/05/2011 10:04:11
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2011 :  11:12:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree Hopkins, perhaps Sophia Jacobsdatter Norvold brought a daughter Lina with her.

I ignored the information Einar and Hopkins, was to eager.

Nordvold was probably a subfarm under Skedsmovold.

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 10/05/2011 16:08:58
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2011 :  14:57:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
While I slept through the night Einar has found the proof that Josephine Magdalene Olsdatter was the legitimate child of Ole Hansen and Sofie Jakobsdtr in Skedsmo. Great find!

With the proper locations in Norway now identified Sherri Long, family and those others interested will have a much easier time to research more of the family history in the same manner we have all done in our own research.

It has been an interesting trip to search out the little details from US records to try to find the hints for these confusing families that could lead to this result. I have enjoyed it. Kåre and Einar make good partners for such an endeavor.
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2011 :  15:51:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sophie Jacobsdatter and Ole Hansen Norvolden em. Mai 1851 with two daughters, Martha Birgitte and "Lina" Josephine Magdalena and Sophie´s parents with two children, Hellene 19 and Hans Petter 9, see right page #2&3

Ole Hansen died 1854, more family information in connection with his son Olave´s gravestone here

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 10/05/2011 16:12:19
Go to Top of Page

Sherri Long
Starting member

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2011 :  05:56:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yes he did die in 1912 as the date on his tombstone in the rose dell trinity cemetery and the listed children are his otto is my grandfather sophia is the daughter of jens and josephine
quote:
Originally posted by Hopkins

Did Jens and Josephine have children named Otto, Sofie M., Carl P., George O. and Martha? (listing in Rock Co. Minnesota 1880 US census)

FamilySearch indicates a Sophie M. Houg married in Rock Co. Minnesota in Sept. 1900 but is listed in the 1900 census there as "Sopha Houg" whose father is indicated as a "Jense Houg". That census shows several additional siblings (or perhaps name changes) -- Oliver, Arthur, and Laurits.

If this is the same family - then it should be noted that in the 1880 census Jens lists himself as Jens Peterson! He is listed as "Jense Houg" in the 1900 census, lists his year of immigration as 1868 and his birth as May 1840 in Norway.

There are a number of matches in the information - but also a number of differences.

Also, did Jens Houg die 1912 in Rock Co. MN?

history is the key
Go to Top of Page

Sherri Long
Starting member

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2011 :  06:39:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thank you all for your insight jens j houg married josephine "lena" who is daughter of sofia and ole hanson also from this marriage is mathea and olaves, ole died and sopia married peter monserud and had several more children that should clarify that line all my grandfather could remember is that Jens father was also Jens we have not been able to find any record until your help here I have recently found put alot about the sopia and peter monserud connection Jens was a farm labor and lived with the monserud family ie the census the jacob and marthe norvold from Sørumseie as that is the maiden name I found in a book on the family farm..I am still looking for proof the the name was changed from haug to houg. Thank you all so much

history is the key
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2011 :  09:58:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You are welcome.
There were most Haug farms in 1865, but in 1801 there were almost as much as three times as many farms started with Houg as Haug.

Haug and Houg were used interchangeably in everyday speech and Norway has hundreds of dialects, often many within the same municipality.

The pronunciation in the alphabet is quite different, the Norwegian letter a in Haug has a long A as a in bar and o in Houg has a long O as o in tow.

Sørumseie was a sub farm under Sørum, the farm if it still exist has another name today
Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 11/05/2011 10:02:00
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2011 :  10:28:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sørum today is a leasure farm with with livestock, mostly horses, open for public.
Some pictures here, only information in Norwegian.

Sørum was court site in the 1790s

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 11/05/2011 10:30:10
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2011 :  13:18:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
I am still looking for proof the the name was changed from haug to houg.

There may not be any "proof" and I do not know what type of documentation of such a change you could be hoping for. He could have called himself anything he chose to when he emigrated and settled in America. He could have identified himself differently in many different records.

The Minnesota death certificate for Jens (1912 Rock Co.) should probably be obtained and studied for any additional information which could help you in your research.

Consider editing your last posting to include punctuation and capital letters where necessary.
Go to Top of Page

Sherri Long
Starting member

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2011 :  06:12:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I appreciate all of your help while learning how to read the norweigen records and using a translator to translate, I am finding the research interesting and a challenge. I do have a question on the babtism records is there a place to go where they are typed or where I can zoom to try and read them better.

history is the key
Go to Top of Page

Sherri Long
Starting member

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2011 :  06:28:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
But the births/baptism in Norderhov in 1840 show your very very interesting find for Jens Jensen.
http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=1111&idx_id=1111&uid=ny&idx_side=-51

I am having trouble reading the names on the second page next to the parents names. I am hoping that these names might help me in the right directions on futher research into the past.

history is the key
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2011 :  07:29:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On top of that column you can read "Faddernes Navne" - The names of the witnesses.
For Jens baptism they are (to the best of my ability) Mari Pedersdatter, Kragstad, Karen Hansdatter, Klækken, Karen Jensdatter, Haug, Anders Larsen, Kragstad and Mikkel Hansen, Klækken.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 12/05/2011 07:40:08
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2011 :  11:23:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
I do have a question on the babtism records is there a place to go where they are typed or where I can zoom to try and read them better.

At the top of the webpage when you are looking at a scanned church record on the Digitlarkivet website there is a blue banner line across the very top of the window. See the % sign in one box? (it doesn't matter if the words across the top are in Norwegian or in English - it works just the same). Pull down the little down indicator to choose another zoom percentage.

You MIGHT find that some Norwegian church records you are interested in have been extracted and entered into the free searches at Familysearch.org (the website for family search through the LDS church). They have an ongoing project manned entirely by volunteers who are trying to read the original records and enter them into a searchable online database. (I've found that sometimes the volunteer trying to read a record must have had a very difficult time with some handwriting too and occasionally I find an error there.)

Good information about translating the formats of Norwegian parish church records during various time periods, many of the basic terms used and understanding how to use the information should be studied at this web site -
http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~norway/na20.html
Go to Top of Page

Sherri Long
Starting member

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2011 :  05:45:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am having trouble reading who the sponsers were for Sofia can you please see if maybe you might be able to read the names please.
Source, LDS records;
Sophia Norvold was Sofia Jacobsdatter born i Skedsmo on farm Sørumseie April 22. 1826 to Jacob Hansen Norvold and Marthe Svendsdatter, right page #25

Jacob Hansen born 1804, no records available, could have been of interest to confirm if he was from Norvold, he married Marthe Svendsdatter Sørumseie 1825.
Jacob died in Beaver Creek, Minnesota Feb. 18. 1878, Marte died Jan. 12. 1870 in Alamakee, Iowa.
Sophia died Feb. 25. 1893, Allamakee, Iowa

Kåre
[/quote]

history is the key
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2011 :  08:24:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mari, Dorthe, Jens, Christopher, Christian all from Sørumseie.
(No last names were given)

Confirmation record for one Jacob Hansen, born in Skedsmoe Nov 25 1804, see #12. He was then a servant on Soelberg.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 06/06/2011 08:46:47
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article