All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 PASSENGER LISTS AND EMIGRANTS
 Hunting Passenger Lists
 Passengers from Oslo via Hull England
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

vmark
New on board

Canada
3 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2004 :  21:53:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My father emigrated form Norway on 23.03.1906 on a ship called Salmo. This ship took him from Oslo to Hull, England.
My Mother emigrated from Norway 25.05.1900 on a ship Called Angelo. This ship also took her from Oslo to Hull.

Would there be any way to find out what port in England those passengers left from to come to North America and also the port/s they arrived at in Canada or the US.

Sherry
Starting member

11 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2004 :  22:12:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know if this will be of help but my great grandparents also came from Oslo to Hull (on the Angelo). They then boarded another ship, the Castalia, out of Barrow, picked up more passengers in Dublin, and sailed to New York City. I believe they traveled by train to Barrow. This was in 1880, though, so do not know how relevant it is to your situation. No doubt you have already done so, but if not, check the Ellis Island website. I believe their records begin in 1892.
Go to Top of Page

Borge
Veteran Moderator

Norway
1293 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2004 :  22:51:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you post names and other information we might be able to find them in the online emigration records at Digitalarkivet, additional info in that source might help us help you.
Go to Top of Page

vmark
New on board

Canada
3 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2004 :  00:27:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Digitalarkivet is where I found the information I have, but it doesn't take me any farther than Hull.
My Fathers name was Lars Halvorsen Løken #178346 in the Digitalarkivet:Emigrents from Oslo.

My Mother is listed as Randi Haugen (not her real last name) #127378 in th Digitalarkivet. I am not sure if they landed in Canada or the USA, but if they landed in the USA I don't think it was New York.
Go to Top of Page

Borge
Veteran Moderator

Norway
1293 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2004 :  16:24:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It takes us a little further, as we can find the name of the agent where he purchased the ticket (registered under "Line" in the DA record): M. R. Raffel

M. R. Raffel was the general agent of the Cunard Line in 1906 . He was authorized to convey emigrants by steamship to Hull, by railway to Liverpool and by steamship to New York or Boston and from there on to the final destination.

The transcribed source showing Randi Haugen is only partly transcribed at DA, and unfortunately they did not include the information about agent or line, so you will have to get the film to look at the original information if you can. A great number of Norwegians entered the US vi Quebec.
Go to Top of Page

vmark
New on board

Canada
3 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2004 :  22:56:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Borge. That will give me a little more to go on. I expect I have a lot of work ahead of me though. Thanks again.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article