All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 PASSENGER LISTS AND EMIGRANTS
 Passenger List Transcription Project
 Possible error in passenger list?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Judie
Starting member

18 Posts

Posted - 15/07/2004 :  07:45:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Please respond to judieco@yahoo.ca.

I found the following information at:
http://www.norwayheritage.com/p_list.asp?jo=1573

Passenger list 1866 - bark Rhea
Captain Departure Arrival Source
S. Christensen Drammen May 1 Quebec June 7 NAC C-4521 list 42
[b]191 Anne Botnen 30
192 Maret Botnen* 11

This sounds very much like my ancestor Anne Lodversdatter Brynshagen and her daughter Marit Engebretsdatter from the Botten farm in Nord Fron, Oppland County (nee Christians Amt). Marit was born May 21, 1855 which would make her 11. I note that there was also a Paul Brynshagen traveling on the same ship - possibly Anne's brother. The emigrant lists in the church records printed in the local history "Garder og slekter i Fron. II. Nord-Fron / Einar Hovdhaugen, 1974" tell that: Anne Lodversd. Botten and her daughter Marit registered as emigrants in 1866, but it's not certain that they ever left. This all seems to point to Anne EXCEPT the passenger Anne is 30. My ancestor Anne was born Abt. 1806 therefore she would be 60 in 1866. Is it possible to verify that the information on the passenger list is correct?

Thank you for looking into this.

Judie Coleman

Jo Anne Sadler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
1100 Posts

Posted - 20/07/2004 :  18:43:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You may wish to rent the passenger list microfilm at a local Family Center Center and view the film yourself. Passenger list records have poor handwriting, faded ink, obvious errors. They were meant for temporary customs use only.

You could also see if the appropriate Norwegian church records have been filmed by LDS and view the microfilms, the actual "moving out" notations, etc. and any future notations if she did not emigrate. There is usually more information on them then is indicated in the local history books.

Also, all records in the U.S. including state census. Have you found them in the 1880 census? Obituaries, death certificates can lead to clues for the date of immigration.
Go to Top of Page

Borge
Veteran Moderator

Norway
1293 Posts

Posted - 30/07/2004 :  15:21:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I transcribed this list some time ago, and did so directly from the microfilm. At that time I did not have the equipment to make copies of the lists. As Jo Anne pointed out here, some of the lists have poor handwriting, and in addition to that, some photographers did a quite poor job when filming the lists, and yet other lists were faded already when filmed. In addition to that, some of the films are in bad condition, they might be worn and have stripes and dirt to complicate it further. Another thing we experience when working on passenger lists is that some of the people making the lists were not very concerned about being accurate with names, genders, ages, occupations and so on. It might be your people on that list, check it out!

Børge Solem
Go to Top of Page

Judie
Starting member

18 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2004 :  04:31:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for answering my post.

I have not had time to follow up on all your suggestions but will do that since the church records state that Anna and Marit did register to leave and a family ledger written in Wisconsin talks about going to visit Grandma in New Richland. We have looked in the Wisconsin census but with no luck. It is very possible Anna changed her name upon arrival. Her son Anders went by Engebretson and Bothne but we found neither Anna Engebretson nor Anna Bothne.

I think I have some information on passengers 188, 189, 190 at http://www.norwayheritage.com/p_list.asp?jo=1573

Passenger list 1866 - bark Rhea

Paul Lodversen was born 07.19.1817, and married 05.04.1843 in Sødorp Church to Sigri Pedersdatter Skinnihaugen. They had two children - Lodver Paulsen b. 03.12.1843 and Anne Paulsdatter b. 07.17.1853. Anne was the only child who emigrated with them to US 04.15.1866.

Judie

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article