All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 Kiwi Vikings & Aussies
 Roald Amundsen (1872-1928), Norwegian Explorer
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 8

NearNorsewood
Kiwi Viking special member

New Zealand
138 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2008 :  01:55:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have started a new thread about Amund AMUNDSEN here:

Amund AMUNDSEN & Elise LARSDATTER: Grue to NZ
www.norwayheritage.com/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3794

Pip
=====
Norsewood Cemetery & Settlers' Genealogies Project
www.norsewoodcemetery.co.nz

Edited by - NearNorsewood on 17/05/2008 01:57:35
Go to Top of Page

Steve Little
New on board

Australia
4 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2008 :  12:56:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Terry, have received your personal email courtesy of the webmaster on this site. My Mum has often spoken of you but didn't know where you where. I have responded to your email - hope you get it ok. Look forward to sharing info. Steve

Steve
Go to Top of Page

terry emerson
Starting member

Australia
6 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2008 :  08:52:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pip
I am confused here, as when I click on the above topic 3794, it takes me back to the topic on Roald Amundsen, not AMUND AMUNDSEN? Am I doing something wrong here?

I am still working on the descendents of LARS AND ELISE AMUNDSEN, my Grandparents, one noteworthy change which I can confirm is that CYRIL PERCY EDWARD, and Mick or Michael AMUNDSEN is the same person. he was also known as HARRY EDGAR EMERSON = I have a reference to this info from the Public Trustee, Napier.

thanks for all your work and help

terry emerson

terry emerson
Go to Top of Page

NearNorsewood
Kiwi Viking special member

New Zealand
138 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2008 :  11:14:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The link is working here. You could try right-clicking to open in a new tab or window.

Thanks for the additional info.

Pip
=====
Norsewood Cemetery & Settlers' Genealogies Project
www.norsewoodcemetery.co.nz
Go to Top of Page

GeraldoCabeceiras
New on board

1 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2009 :  04:01:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been doing research on Roald Amundsen's life since I was 13, that is more than 30 years ago. I have managed to acquire all of the books he authored but "The Northeast Passage", and I am developing a site comemorating his life and achievements.
I have read here that Shirley Early, for instance, has lots of info on his genealogy. I would be very much interested in that, in case se or anyone else here would be willing to share it.
Thanks very much indeed.
Go to Top of Page

mkeys

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2009 :  20:50:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am related to Roald Amundsen on the Botne side of the family from Hvaler. Am glad to share the information with anyone interested. Shirley Early is also my 'cousin' from that side of the family. Mary

Mary L. Keys
Go to Top of Page

Beverly Hiatt
Starting member

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2009 :  16:15:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anna, Johan and Agnes were placed in an orphanage in Lyon County Iowa after the death of their parents, Amund Amundson and Emma Christine Johnson both from Norway. The Iowa census of 1900 shows the children on the list of residents.
There are many Amund Amundsons (sen) with the spelling poss. chgd at the time of immigration. My family only has a verbal story from my grandmother Agnes, now desceased] of the Roald connection. Agnes was b. in either North Dakota,USA or Dakota terr.
I am a friend of the granddaughter of Torkel Oftelie who wrote and was a friend of Roald A, However with so many years passed we cannot find any history of my greatgrandparents.

Beverly J
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2009 :  17:57:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Beverly,
some LDS records (www.familysearch.org) indicate that the children of Amund Amundson & Emma Johnson are born in South Bend, St.Joseph, Indiana. In addition to Anna, Johan and Agnes, they also list one Anton Emil Amundson, born 07 Sep 1881 in South Bend, St.Joseph, Indiana, dead 15 MAY 1973. Anton Emil married Alma Augustsson Johansson (of Swedish descent) on 15 Dec 1909 in St.Paul, Ramsey, Minnesota.

Father Amund Amundson is listed as born 19 May 1852 in Trondheim, Trondelag, Norway, dead 19 Jan 1892 in Hillsboro, Traill, No.Dakota

I found one Amund Amundsen, born May 19th, 1852 in Norway!

Amund Amundsen
Birth: 19 MAY 1852
Christening: 27 JUN 1852, Kvernes, Mĝre & Romsdal
Parents: Amund Rasmussen & Else Anna Johannesdr
Source: Mĝre og Romsdal county, Kvernes, Parish register (official) nr. 568A10 (1830-1853), Birth and baptism records 1852, page 163.

Amund is a twin with Ane Olava Amundsen. Amund and Ane Olava are listed as illegitimate childs, ie. parents are not married.

Here is Amund and Olava on the Stakvik farm in Kvernes, census-1865.
Their mother has married Ole Paulsen, and Amund and Olava are listed as his stepson (-daughter).

Jan Peter

Edited by - jwiborg on 09/05/2009 17:58:22
Go to Top of Page

Beverly Hiatt
Starting member

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2009 :  18:47:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you so much. This makes sense as I suspected an older son was previously at the same orphanage due to writings from orphanage material. I am going to check all of this out in detail. Thank you again. I am also going to try to now move this to the Amund/Norwgian ln America link. New here so not quite sure about navigation.

Beverly J
Go to Top of Page

JackieAmes
New on board

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2009 :  18:28:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Shirley!

I am the great great grand daughter of Ole Jacob Amundsen - allegedly Roald Amundsen's first cousin who immigrated from Norway to North Dakota (and then into Canada). I'm trying to find that connection, however. If I understand correctly, Roald's father was Jens Amundsen and Ole Jacob's father was Ole Amundsen - I'm assuming Ole and Jens were brothers. Do you know who their parents were? I'd be grateful for any information. I'm completely new at this!

Thanks,

Jackie Ames

quote:
Originally posted by Shirley Early

Hi Pip,
well I would just like to add my little bit of informatin,
Roald Amundsen appears on my family tree, as he is my great grandmother Andrine Marie Thorstensen (who lived in Norsewood NZ,) 3rd cousin, I have the whole family well documented with all the birth death and marriage dates as well as places, I am pretty much assured they are correct, they were sent to me via a relative in Norway, and the informtion is also in the Bydeboks that I have his mothers name was
Hanna Henriette Gustava Sahlquist born 16 Feb 1837 in Glemmen she died 9 Se[t 1893 in Kristiania (Oslo) his father is Jens Engebreth Amundsen born 27 Dec 1820 in Snekotta Hvaler he died 15 Aug 1886
I have tons more information on the family, and would really love to hear from you via my email address, as I too am in NZ
it is all very exciting, I have done a lot of Norwegian research, and of course would love to help fill in some gaps esp. for my personal family cheers Shirley.

Go to Top of Page

terry emerson
Starting member

Australia
6 Posts

Posted - 23/11/2009 :  00:57:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Pip,
Re AMUND AMUNDSEN, my Great Grandfather,
according to papers sent to me some years ago by second cousin Noel Murray of Auckland (now dec'd), AMUND was born on 06.11.1841, his father was AMUND PEDERSEN KALNESET MOLDUSBRATEN, who died on 17.12.1876; and his mother was KARI DANIELSD MULDUSEN die 10.01.1808. (I also have AMUND's death cert which shows his father as AMUND AMUNDSEN0.

There is a lot of info in these papers and I would be happy to post you a cop[y if you would like to check them out for accuracy etc? if you would email me your postal address Ill post a copy off to you. I haven't done much on this side of the family for some time, so am trying to catch up now. (I have just ordered a copy of WW1 service records for Albert Alfred William (George) AMUNDSEN - my Uncle)
many thanks for your work, regards

terry emerson

terry emerson
Go to Top of Page

Kċarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 23/11/2009 :  13:45:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jackie,
the explorer Roald Engelbrekt Graving Amundsen was born to skipowner Jens Ingebrekt Amundsen and Hanna Henrika Gustava Salquist.
They married in Sarpsborg March 15. 1863, see #2

Bachelor and Skipper Jens Enebrekt Amundsen from Hvitsteen on Hvalerĝerne, current Hvaler and maid Hanna Henrika Gustave Salquist from Nygaard in Glemmen.

Fathers: Skipper Ole Amundsen and "Fogd" Bailiff Gustav Salquist

In 1866, six years before Roald was born, he was invoved in the transportation of Chinees workers to the Carribean with the Full rigged ship Constantin. During a revolt on board he was rescued by the mate, but carried with him a characteristic scar from the ear down to the mouth.
Source: Norwegian Department of Foreign Affairs.

Kċre

Edited by - Kċarto on 23/11/2009 14:19:10
Go to Top of Page

Kċarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 23/11/2009 :  14:35:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jens Engebreth Amundsen was born on Snekotta, Hvaler, Dec. 27. 1820, bap Jan 30. 1821 to Ole Amundsen and Anne Kristine Amundsen, see #3

Kċre

Edited by - Kċarto on 23/11/2009 15:10:54
Go to Top of Page

Beverly Hiatt
Starting member

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 23/11/2009 :  16:19:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can the nwest be posted first?

Beverly J
Go to Top of Page

Kċarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 23/11/2009 :  16:44:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jackie.
I missed that you had all the answers from Shirley, sorry.

Well, interesting answers may not be repeated to often (Norwgian saying)

I think I have been working with Snĝkotta in an earler topic here in Norway Heritage.

Kċre

Edited by - Kċarto on 23/11/2009 16:46:39
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article