All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 MISCELLANEOUS
 General misc...
 Norwegian nick names
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

das
Starting member

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 28/09/2005 :  22:45:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My grandmother used to call my mother Kreinnata? I'm not sure on the spelling.Sounds like Kree-enn-nata. I've tried internet translations but to no avail. Mom said that grandma would say "oh kreinnata" very lovingly. Like a term of endearrment. Does this sound like anything to anyone out there?

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 28/09/2005 :  22:54:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
???

What's your mother's name then?

It could be a variant of Kristianne or something...

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page

das
Starting member

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 28/09/2005 :  23:30:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mom's name is Donna Marie. I thought about that too Jan Peter but I don't think that has anything to do with this mystery. Perhaps it is spelled with a "C" as oppossed to a "K" . Just a shot here does "Cri" or "Cree" mean anything? Thanks.

Edited by - das on 28/09/2005 23:32:30
Go to Top of Page

einarh
Medium member

Norway
77 Posts

Posted - 29/09/2005 :  11:08:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If your mother had been an unruly person which is not very likely, the word for cree-enn-nata could be crenated - meaning jagged, toothed, indented or barbed....

This is about how far my imagination could stretch at the moment.

Einar

Einar Kr. Holtet
Go to Top of Page

das
Starting member

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 29/09/2005 :  14:30:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got a lead on this "nick-name". How about "Cry-baby". Does this sound like a plausable name? I just wish I could speak this word to you because I could put the right emphasis on it.
Go to Top of Page

Brining
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
868 Posts

Posted - 30/09/2005 :  04:41:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe kieriste nøtt - dearest nut?? I don't know exactly how it is pronounced. Maybe one of the Norwegian posters could let us know if it would be close.
Carla
Go to Top of Page

einarh
Medium member

Norway
77 Posts

Posted - 30/09/2005 :  10:15:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If we deared suppose that this is a mix of English and Norwegian language, it could be something like "cry" as the first syllable and "i" (pronounced in Norwegian as English "e" ) and then "natta" as second and third syllables, pronounced in English not much different from the Norwegian pronounciation of it. "Cry-i-natta" or "cry-om-natta" in Norwegian is "gråte om natta" and in English "crying in the night"....

Einar

Einar Kr. Holtet
Go to Top of Page

das
Starting member

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 30/09/2005 :  14:25:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brining

Maybe kieriste nøtt - dearest nut??

I had to laught out loud. You must know my mother! Great stab at it but I think that Einar has probably figured it out.
Go to Top of Page

das
Starting member

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 30/09/2005 :  14:52:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by einarh

If we deared suppose that this is a mix of English and Norwegian language, it could be something like "cry" as the first syllable and "i" (pronounced in Norwegian as English "e" ) and then "natta" as second and third syllables, pronounced in English not much different from the Norwegian pronounciation of it. "Cry-i-natta" or "cry-om-natta" in Norwegian is "gråte om natta" and in English "crying in the night"....

Einar

That is just how the emphasis would be on the syllables and how I understand it to be pronounced!
I wonder now about the usage of this "term" or "name" by a parent for one of their children? My grandma wouldn't have called her "crying in the night"? I think this is a true "nickname" or "slang" with the meaning implied to mean a little something else. Interesting how this may be a Norwegian/American usage.
Go to Top of Page

Svanhild
Starting member

Sweden
10 Posts

Posted - 30/09/2005 :  15:40:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe the norwegian word 'grinete'...the meaning is about the same as cry baby....
Svanhild
Go to Top of Page

kaare n
Medium member

Norway
114 Posts

Posted - 30/09/2005 :  22:06:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I though I also put in my meaning.
If it was said about a small child maybe it was a crying child, about an adult then I think it was maybe something that it was said about a person that was nagging about everything and anything (pessimist)

Kåre
Go to Top of Page

das
Starting member

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 30/09/2005 :  22:20:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well now. If this word has the three syllables it just could be the "nickname". My Grandma was full Norwegian and 1st generation American/Norwegian(born in America). Two of her sibs (twins) were born on the boat coming to America. They were listed as being born in Norway as they hadn't arrived here yet. Now, the reason for my mentioning these facts is that I know for a fact that Norwegian was the language spoken in the home. Maybe, as Einar hinted, we dare not suppose that this is a mix of English and Norwegian. and perhaps this is a word that starts with the letter "G" and not a "C" or "K" at all. Gri-n-ete? How about this for the "nickname"? Does it fit. ? As for Mom the "un-ruly", "crying in the night" or, "dearest nut" doesn't fit, although I like the latter.LOL. The "cry baby" speaks volumes. Keep in mind the person that was calling her this ( my Grandma) wouldn't speak ill of anyone let alone her own. And my Mom remembers it as a "nickname" and not a derogatory comment.

Edited by - das on 30/09/2005 22:21:31
Go to Top of Page

Borge
Veteran Moderator

Norway
1293 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2005 :  11:20:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If they were still talking their native language it could be of interest to know where in Norway they came from, as this could be a dialectic expression.
Go to Top of Page

das
Starting member

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2005 :  15:33:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning all. For the sake of interest but at the risk of "rabbit trailing" I'll gladly share this side of my families origins. Grandpa was the Lewison side of the family (Hengesteg/Boyum). Grandma's maiden name was Iverson. she, as I had stated earlier, was born to emigrant parents who both hailed from the Sandnaesseter(?) farm in Nannesstad. I've no idea where this is. Their parents hailed from the Jeppedahle and Westlien farms in Hurdal. Again no idea where this is. I've much more family info beyond them but this serves the purpose that Borge was asking about.

Edited by - das on 01/10/2005 15:55:40
Go to Top of Page

einarh
Medium member

Norway
77 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2005 :  12:59:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I do not pretend to know much more than a fragment of the dialectic rooted nick-names in Nannestad and Hurdal, which are separate municipalities, 50 - 80 kms to the North of Oslo. But as I was lying awake last night, thinking of what could possibly turn out to be the solution to the grandmother lullaby mystery, it struck me that there is a Norwegian name, Jonetta, that could fit into a local nick-name or saying: Kry (pron. "Kree") -Jonetta could be Stolt-Jonetta = Proud Jonetta. But expressed lovingly, as you tell us - I am strongly in doubt anyway. Anyone from Eidsvoll (north of Oslo) around here?

Einar Kr. Holtet
Go to Top of Page

Borge
Veteran Moderator

Norway
1293 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2005 :  14:25:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wonder if the last part of the word could be "jenta" or "jinta", and if it did start on a G it could as simple as "Godjenta" in a dialectic variation.

Børge Solem

Edited by - Borge on 02/10/2005 14:27:36
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article