All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 SHIPS AND VOYAGES
 The ships
 The ship: Hamlet
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bye
Starting member

Norway
14 Posts

Posted - 17/10/2005 :  08:19:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Im trying to find information about a ship called HAMLET and a person who travelled with it in 1920.

In the Galveston Passenger Lists, 1896-1948 i find a relative by the name Willian L. Adolf Bye. He departed from London, England on the 05/05/1920 with the ship Hamlet and his destination were Port Arthur, Texas, USA. He arrived at 05/30/1920 . William L. Adolf Bye was born 1892 in Oslo, Norway. In the passenger list his occupation is "able seaman".

How could i find out more about this person and were could i find information about the boat. Any help is mostly appriciated.

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 17/10/2005 :  12:59:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Young William Bye in the 1900 Norwegian census? -
http://www.rhd.uit.no/folketellinger/ftliste_e.aspx?ft=1900&knr=0301&kenr=367&bnr=0006&lnr=02

Edited by - Hopkins on 17/10/2005 13:06:27
Go to Top of Page

Jo Anne Sadler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
1100 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2005 :  02:49:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Galveston list is interesting, William is the only passenger listed and it is a delayed registration dated 11-15-1900. Says that he voluntarily appeared and paid the Head Tax so it looks like he probably jumped ship. William's nearest relative is indicated as Arthur Bye in Kristiania so the 1900 census link most likely is correct.

It also says he is 28 years and three months old so that would make his birthdate February 1892.

The Ellis Island database indicates a M/S Hamlet, that must mean Merchant Ship. The Hamlet was in Galveston again on May 30.

Tønsberg is in Vestfold and the microfilm church records can be rented at a local Family HIstory Center to find his father's record. Don't know where you are living but there are FHC all over the world.

click here

Doing a search on the Internet is difficult with the name Hamlet but there was a merchant ship Hamlet built in Drammen in 1934 that saw service in World War II, www:warsailors.com

Further research in merchant ship sites might lead to some information on the earlier Hamlet.

Are you looking for information on him in the U.S or in Norway or both?

Edited by - Jo Anne Sadler on 18/10/2005 03:04:20
Go to Top of Page

Brining
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
868 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2005 :  03:23:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is a reference to a Hamlet at Antarctic Explorers Timeline Click Here
Year Leader Outcomes Remarks
1926/27 Dumaresq Measurements of Kerguelen. France (Ship: Hamlet)
and there is this reference in an article about the Graveyard of the Atlantic Museum
"There also are ship models, including one of the Hamlet, an early 20th-century boat that took the first porpoise in captivity to the New York Aquarium for display."

So it may have been used for scientific expolration.
Carla
Go to Top of Page

bye
Starting member

Norway
14 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2005 :  13:45:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Hopkins, yes this is a young William Bye on your link. He lives in the 1900 census together with his brother Arthur Bye and their father in Oslo (Kristiania).

Jo Anne, This was a very interesting reading. You say its a delay registration dated 11-15-1900 (1900?), could this be right, meaning he arrived in Port Arthur, Texas on the 30th May 1920.

Where did you find out that he paid the Head tax and that Arthur Bye was the nearest relative, i was looking at the Galvestone Passenger Lists which are on the web and no such information was available, do you have more information that could be relevant to this.

This could be a list of questions but i will try to keep the list small, im very gratefull for your information and its extremly interesting to follow this trail. I have most information about his father from Tønsberg from churchrecords, so im mainly looking for information about William Bye in the USA. Why he went to Texas, did he stay in USA or did he return to Norway. Did he got married, when did he die, etc.

Not to meantion information about a possible Hamlet ship, very interesting to follow up.
Go to Top of Page

Jo Anne Sadler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
1100 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2005 :  19:12:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did you get your information from the free online Steve Morse database:

http://stevemorse.org/ellis/galveston.html

It is interesting, says he had a star tattoo on the back of his hand, ship Hamlet left London on May 5, 1920.

I have a paid subscription to Ancestry.com and am able to view the original record. He did arrive on May 30 and included the information about his nearest relative being his brother, Arthur Bye in Christiania. There is a written notification written across the list about his voluntary payment of the head tax on November 15.
Go to Top of Page

bye
Starting member

Norway
14 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2005 :  12:24:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I found the information on the Texas Seaport Museum site, they had a search engine there.

Would it be possible to get a screencapture of the original record, that would be really great (trying to gather as much information possible and linking them to the original records, churchrecords, ellis island log pictures, etc.)

Now we know that William Bye arrived 30th May 1920, is it possible to find out where he was going, i know ellis island have column telling the end location of the trip, but iguess its different when you jump ship
Go to Top of Page

Jo Anne Sadler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
1100 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2005 :  18:19:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No there is no information on the list where he was going but he was in Galveston in May and November at least. The 1920 census was done in January 1920 so he would not be there.

Do you know William Bye's exact date of birth? There are two William Bye's born in 1892 on the Rootsweb.com free Social Security database. Do you know for sure that he immigrated to the U.S.?

As far as getting a copy to you I was going to contact you offlist but you do not include your name, country or an email address in your registration which is quite unusual on this Forum. We are nice people here. You can register your email address, it would not show up on the list but a poster can send you a message offlist.
Go to Top of Page

bye
Starting member

Norway
14 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2005 :  20:47:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Im sad to say that i don't know Wiliam's date of birth, somehow i haven't managed to find his birth and in the census for Oslo 1899 till 1902 only includes his birth year. And im not sure if he immigrated or just paid a visit to U.S. So you could say that i haven't got much to go on. From the ship record you said it might be that he was born in February 1892 and thats the closest i have come to a birth month.

My email is now visible at my profile so you can send a copy of the record to my email. Having a copy of the list means alot to me. Thank you for your help so far.

Edited by - bye on 13/11/2005 22:41:37
Go to Top of Page

Jo Anne Sadler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
1100 Posts

Posted - 15/11/2005 :  18:32:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In spite of not appreciating your posting, I will still try to help you. One cannot send attachments through the email on Norway Heritage, it is messages only. If you want me to TRY to send you a copy of the manifest, then you are going to have to give me your email address.
Go to Top of Page

bye
Starting member

Norway
14 Posts

Posted - 15/11/2005 :  19:16:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you so much for your help

Edited by - bye on 17/11/2005 21:54:01
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article