All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 Norwegians in America
 Samson Nilsen Helland
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

NancyC
Medium member

Norway
198 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2005 :  15:13:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can anyone help me find an arrival record to the US for Samson Nilsen Helland? He is listed as "Simson" in the 1900 census in Red Lake, MN, living with his son Nils (Nels) Bertinius Helland, and the year of his immigration is listed as1898. Samson was born Samson Nilsen Slogvig in 1834 in Tysvær, but moved to Sand, Rogaland, in 1861. He married Ambjørg Tormodsdotter Helland, and after his marriage, the family used her surname. Ambjørg was apparently dead when Samson emigrated. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find her death in church records. Thanks for any help!

Jo Anne Sadler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
1100 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2005 :  19:41:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did you find their moving out record? In the 1900 census, Simson is listed with his wife, Andrina, born June 1837, married 35 years, immigrated 1898, 2 children, 2 living. It would seem that Andrina is Ambjørg.

In 1910 son Nils & family are in Parkland Pcty., Pierce, Washington, no parents, three children born in Washington starting in 1906 so they must have moved there about that time. In 1920 they are in South Union, Thurston, WA and in 1930 in Offret Lake, Thurston, WA.
Go to Top of Page

Jo Anne Sadler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
1100 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2005 :  19:49:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is someone in Red Lake County, MN researching the Helland name:

http://www.rootsweb.com/~mnredlak/snamrl.htm

Go to Top of Page

NancyC
Medium member

Norway
198 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2005 :  23:54:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have read the church book for Sand for this period, but I have not found a moving out record for either Samson or Ambjørg, or a death record for Ambjørg. The census taker in 1900 was certainly a bit confused. Andrina Bak was the mother of Ingeborg, wife of Ingeborg Bak Helland, whereas Samson was the father of Nils Bertinius Helland. Andrina immigrated with her husband and twin children in 1881. The husband and son died, and when Ingeborg and Nils married, Andrina moved in with them. I am assuming the 1898 immigration year for Samson is correct, even though the census taker apparently mistook Andrina and Samson for a couple.

It is correct that the family moved to Washington about 1905, and that Nils and family were living in Pierce in the 1910 census. But Samson was still alive and living with Nils' brother, Tom or Tormod: http://www.secstate.wa.gov/history/search_detail.aspx?r=59&id=321064 This information is provided by the Secretary of State, but there is no information on immigration. If you have access to all the information, perhaps I could ask you if the immigration information jives with the information in the 1900 census.

As for Arloah at rootsweb, I have been corresponding with her. Unfortunately, she knows less than I do!

Thanks for your efforts here! I appreciate your messages!
Go to Top of Page

Jo Anne Sadler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
1100 Posts

Posted - 31/10/2005 :  02:28:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In 1910, Samson N. Hilland, 80, born Norway, immigrated 1897 was living in Parkland, Pierce, WA with son Torv, 41, single, immigrated 1891.

In 1920, T.S. Helland is a boarder in Parkland, 50, single, immigrated 1889, logger in a logging camp.

Can't find Samson in any passenger list sites I have access to.
Go to Top of Page

NancyC
Medium member

Norway
198 Posts

Posted - 31/10/2005 :  11:27:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks so much for your help. I'm glad to get more information from the 1910 census, and also the information in the 1920 census. So now I have two possible years for Samson's immigration. I suspect this family had some language problems, as the dates they are quoted with (birthdays, immigration years, ages) always seen to vary, and also to stray from the truth. I think Samson's daughter Lena purposely lied about her age! But then she was several years older than her husband. But the others may have lacked the ability to communicate well in English, leaving the census taker to guess and add and subtract to get his answers.

Most of the other people who immigrated from Sand during this period landed either at Boston or in Quebec. Does that give me any leads?

Thanks again for help from Jo Anne Sadler or anyone else!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article