All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 Norwegians in America
 Desendants of Aksel Aag, Minnesota
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hegeaagfjeld
Starting member

Norway
7 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2002 :  14:43:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi
Im searching for any information regarding Aksel Aag born 1885 and his two younger brothers Alfred born 188? and Johan Aag born 189?. They emigrated from Meløy in Norway right after 1900, Im not sure exactly when, but I was told Johan died in the USA in 1908 so it had to be before that. Alfred returened to Norway after a while, but Aksel married Sadie Olivia in 191? and I think they setteled down in Minnesota. I have found information regarding Aksel and Sadie deaths in a register listed on My Genealogy pages, and when I was searching Ellis Island files I found that Aksel, Sadie and two of their children were passengers aboard 'Bergensfjord' in 1920. I think this is a register of a visit to Norway, so I wonder when Aksel and his brothers first arrived. I've been told Alfred worked in a mine during world war one, but I dont know if that information is correct, and where do I look for that information ?
There has to be decendants of Aksel and Sadie still living in the USA, and I would appriciate any information that leads me to solve this puzzle.

Greetings from Norway
Hege

Edited by - hegeaagfjeld

Brining
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
868 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2002 :  05:41:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Hege On the Minnesota death records site http://people.mnhs.org/dci/Search.cfm
there is a Johan Aag died Nov 1, 1908 in Stearns County MN and a baby boy Aag died July 22 1936 in Wadena county MN (possibly Aksel & Sadie's child)
Here is a site for Minnesota Genweb http://www.rootsweb.com/~mngenweb/ which might have some information.
Also in the Social Security Death Index there is a listing for Sadie, Durvin and Francis Aag in Minnesota http://ssdi.genealogy.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/ssdi.cgi
Searching on http://www.switchboard.com/ I found 2 Aag in MN which are likely descendants since it is not a very common name.
Carla
Go to Top of Page

hegeaagfjeld
Starting member

Norway
7 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2002 :  08:16:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you so much, Brining !
This was so much more than I had hoped for - excuse my english...
Im looking right into it....
Go to Top of Page

Brining
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
868 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2002 :  05:23:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You are welcome. Your english is fine, better than some Americans. I think I may have found when Aksel and brothers came to America. On the Digitalarkivet site http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/index-eng.htm In the 1900 census I found Aksel Elias Antonsen born 1885 on the Gardsnavn Aag. His father was Anton Peterson. Also may have found Johan. He is listed on the Gardsnavn Dalen listed as Tjenestegut. Petter Petterson is the head so maybe a brother to Anton.
Under Emigrants, Registers, Emigrants from Trondheim, I found from Melø
Axel E A Peterson born 1885, date of departure 1.05.1907 going to Decorah Iowa.
Johan Ditlef Antons. born 1888 departure 02.05.1906 going to Decorah Iowa
Alfred Ditlev Petters. Antons. departure 25.04.1911 born 1892 going to Boston.
These are pretty good possibilities since emigrants would often change there name after coming to America and the destination wasn't always the final destination. You might be able to find them on the Ellis Island files using the last name Antonson(sen) or Peterson(sen) or a similar spelling.
You mention Alfred may have worked in a mine. There was mining there and this site will give you some information on it. http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/minerals/digging_minerals/mined.html
Hope this turns out to be the people you are looking for
Carla
Go to Top of Page

hegeaagfjeld
Starting member

Norway
7 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2002 :  08:27:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you again...
by the way, I noticed Alfred worked in a mine during world war three.....
excuse me.
Hege
Go to Top of Page

Borge
Veteran Moderator

Norway
1293 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2002 :  08:37:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hege

Did you know:

You may edit your own posts at any time. Just go to the topic where the post to be edited is located and you will see an edit icon on the line that begins "posted on..." Click on this icon to edit the post. No one else can edit your post, except for the forum Moderator or the bulletin board administrator. A note is generated at the bottom of each edited post displaying when and by whom the post was edited.

Børge Solem
Go to Top of Page

Luvatdusk
New on board

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2008 :  21:10:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am a decendend of Aksel and Sadie Aag. They were my Great Grandparents. I never met them. My grandfather was John K Aag. He married Delores O'Hern and had three children that I know of. Steven (my father), Mark and Karen. My grandfather just passed away on Feb 28 2008. If you do a search right now you can find his Obit on legacy.com. It tells more about him. I have been trying to find out more about my ancestors too but it has been hard. My parents divorced when I was a baby and I did not see my fathers side of the family very often. Plus the farther you go back the more confusing it gets. I wish you luck and if you want more information I will share all I have.
Go to Top of Page

Graceaag
New on board

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 27/09/2019 :  23:54:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My great great grandfather was Axel Aag

Grace E Jenson
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article