All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Ingebjorg and Kristen Svinson Sexe -Nedre Sekse
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

kmn24
Starting member

20 Posts

Posted - 17/11/2006 :  08:05:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am lookiing for Ingebjorg (1845 - ) who married Kristen Sveinson. Ingebjorg would be Amund Jakobson and Gunnhild Persdtr , Fresvik son... Bygdabok says they moved to Spring Valley , Wisc. Any living family???

I am also looking for Anna (1862 - _ same parents as Ingebjorg.. Anna m Teodor Tobiassen, Haugesund. Any information ??

Also Asmund Asmundson (1858 - 1938) who married Gurid Persdtr (1854-1937) family information

My Great Grandfather was Per (1850) from this same family.. thank you....KIM

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 17/11/2006 :  15:31:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kim - Ingebjorg is a feminine name - Her mother, Gunnild Persdatter was from the Fresvik farm in Ullensvang and her father, Åmund Jakobson from the N. Sekse farm.
Christen and his wife, Ingeborg, left from the port of Bergen, Norway on or about 10 July 1875. They had three young children with them -
http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&sidenr=8&filnamn=EMIBERG&gardpostnr=2321&sokefelt=skjul

Gunnild and Åmund are here in 1865 with very young daughter Anna, and sons, Asmund and Per.
http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&sidenr=22&filnamn=f61230&gardpostnr=699&sokefelt=skjul

This young boy on the Aarstad farm in Rogaland (but not in Haugesund) might prove to be of future interest -
http://www.rhd.uit.no/folketellinger/ftliste_e.aspx?ft=1865&knr=1111&kenr=002&bnr=0027&lnr=000

I don't recognize the farm name Nøstteigen in Kinsarvik - which bygdebok volume, farm and page number did you find mention of Spring Valley, WI?
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 17/11/2006 :  15:58:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are you the same Kim who never responded to this posting on another forum?
http://genforum.genealogy.com/norway/messages/11636.html

Edited by - Hopkins on 17/11/2006 18:39:01
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 17/11/2006 :  16:27:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
''Nøstteigen" was the name of a plass under the Sekse farm in Ullensvang.

Another of the children of Åmund Jakobson and Gunnhild Persdtr. emigrated to the US about 1874 - son, Hans born 1855. I remember assisting a descendant of his a number of years ago, about 1998. I do remember that she said that a family story was that Hans had come to the US with brothers and/or other close relatives. We found him living in Story Co. IA in 1900 but were informed that he died in Lake Crystal, Minnesota.
Another brother, Henrik/Henry settled in Hamilton Co., Iowa.

Edited by - Hopkins on 17/11/2006 18:51:43
Go to Top of Page

kmn24
Starting member

20 Posts

Posted - 17/11/2006 :  19:45:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hopkins --Thank you for clearing me up.. feel so silly..thinking Ingebjorg was male and Kristen female.. I am new forgive me.. I have some information and found census for Amund Jakobson (1797 - 1892) family back to 1801...I also have found Henry's family in US.. I also know Hans was in Minn. and have contacted a couple of Hans living family members.. but working on these things..
I have book #4 Vol.II Odda, Ullensvang, Kinsarvik.. page 352.. probably me misreading ...about Spring Valley Wisc..??
I knew nothing of Anna or Ingebjorg ... gaining knowledge on the other siblings yet..
thank you for the digitalarchive on Christen and Ingeborg.. very treasured..I would have never found it...
I am the one on the other site.. too.. sorry for not getting back to you.. you are so kind to help me!!!KIM
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 17/11/2006 :  20:53:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I finally found Nausteigen (a small plass attached to the older, larger Sekse farm) and it does read that Kristen and Ingeborg did live in Spring Valley - but I don't know what county that is in. The book is "Odda, Ullensvang og Kinsarvik i gamal og ny tid", Volume IV/2 (4-2), page 352. You'll see them mentioned again with slightly more detail on page 310 of that same book in the section about Kristen's parents (Børve farm).
Kristen/Kresten in the 1865 census -
http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&sidenr=4&filnamn=f61230&gardpostnr=685&sokefelt=skjul
Ingeborg works on a farm not too far from her family's home in 1865 -
http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&sidenr=11&filnamn=f61230&gardpostnr=640&sokefelt=skjul

You are working to make a collection of living relatives? That is a project I've never understood or undertaken. I only 'run into' distant relatives entirely by accident. Most of us with ancestors from that fjord area end up being distantly related somehow. So just assume that I'm also about your 7th or 8th cousin.
Am I correct that your 'Per' was in or near Ellsworth, Hamilton county, IA?

Go to Top of Page

kmn24
Starting member

20 Posts

Posted - 18/11/2006 :  00:39:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yes, I am looking for both of sides of relatives..living and nonliving..My Per was from Hamilton Co...
Thanks for the digital archives again.. awesome!!!.. I guess I didn't write the entire title of the book.. I found what you discovered on pg. 352.. i take it you are from Norway and in the fjord area now.. it is all so interesting. I also let Henry's family member know of my posting on this site.. so they are monitoring what you find also. Thank you so very much my 7th or 8th cousin.. we deeply appreciate all this wonderful help..You are very knowledgeable on this stuff....KIM
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 18/11/2006 :  02:51:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kim - No. actually I am also an American descendant of Norwegian emigrants. I've just been working at this a few years longer than you.
The woman (descendant of Hans Sexe) that I had contact with back in 1998 has a website -
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~patc/

I don't agree with 100% of the data she has posted - but it's pretty good. She doesn't go into historical detail about the ancestors of Åmund Jakobson and I think that is where I probably have a link to a common ancestor about 1690 to 1700. You'll be able to use some of that information as a roadmap to verifying it to the degree you decide necessary. Have fun!!
Go to Top of Page

kmn24
Starting member

20 Posts

Posted - 18/11/2006 :  04:10:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yes I have found that site.. i have tried emailing her.. I also found another descendent I saw a familiar name.. Peter Sexe -a living one.. yes..
I found his address and snail mailed.. he emailed me recently saying he was from Hans side.. He has a Aunt who has some family history and she has visited Norway.. I do think this is fun - thanks for your advice and help. KIM
Go to Top of Page

kmn24
Starting member

20 Posts

Posted - 29/11/2006 :  05:54:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks again
Go to Top of Page

mikesexe
New on board

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2006 :  23:22:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hopkins

''Nøstteigen" was the name of a plass under the Sekse farm in Ullensvang.

Another of the children of Åmund Jakobson and Gunnhild Persdtr. emigrated to the US about 1874 - son, Hans born 1855. I remember assisting a descendant of his a number of years ago, about 1998. I do remember that she said that a family story was that Hans had come to the US with brothers and/or other close relatives. We found him living in Story Co. IA in 1900 but were informed that he died in Lake Crystal, Minnesota.
Another brother, Henrik/Henry settled in Hamilton Co., Iowa.

Go to Top of Page

mikesexe
New on board

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2006 :  23:28:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I saw this message and had to reply. Hans Sexe is my great grand father. His son Alfred Sexe was my grand father and Alfred's Son Albert, was my dad. Albert and Evelyn had 12 children. There are 10 boys and 2 girls. Al and Evy had a farm outside of Cleveland Minnesota. I am the seventh of twelve children and am interested in finding out about where my family came from.

Edited by - mikesexe on 27/12/2006 15:59:17
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 27/12/2006 :  19:25:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There was also an earlier thread of discussion about this Sexe family and their origins in Norway.
http://www.norwayheritage.com/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3035

They came from Ullensvang district of Hordaland, Norway - within the area commonly called Hardanger.

I gave the best advice and most useful links I could in these two threads about the Sexe family.
Go to Top of Page

kmn24
Starting member

20 Posts

Posted - 27/12/2006 :  21:16:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks again hopkins.. this all helps...
Go to Top of Page

kmn24
Starting member

20 Posts

Posted - 27/12/2006 :  21:19:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i went there and this is what I wrote also..both threads.. i did find the person who posted for Knute Jorgenson though for Oppedahls that you helped me with.. finally.. i had to jump ropes and try going through others on the internet to get them to respond.. they have their email address so only certain people get through.. so a lead there...
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 28/12/2006 :  00:18:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kim - Mike Sexe had tried to post a message to this thread twice and edited the last one again just earlier. I was only trying to let him know his message had been read and that the information was contained in the two threads on the subject of the Sexe family.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article