All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Opheim/Oppheim, Kvamme, etc.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

North
Starting member

5 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2007 :  03:23:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Being usually interested in adding to the info. I have of my family tree, I figured I'd throw out some names here in case there is any body else that checks out these forums that recognizes the names, or are possibly even related. Going a couple generations back I have the family names Opheim (also spelled Oppheim), Kvamme, Lothe, & Nelson. Nelson's a very common name I know, the Nelson branch here though does not go far back, because the man was literally Nel's son & if he hadn't changed his surname it would've been Blihovde. I think I would find any Blihovde info more interesting then Nelson, but if somebody else thinks we share the same Nelson family in our trees, I'd try to provide any missing info for them. I think I have more information on Op(p)heim & Kvamme then Lothe, so would really appreciate any & all info on that name in particular (I believe the Lothe farm was somewhere in the Hardanger area, if that helps), & of course am willing to share info with any distant Opheim or Kvamme relatives out there. Going back another generation I have the family names Aanonson, Berge, Hage, & Olson (also a very common name I know, this one was a "Mathias" & an only child, as far as I know). Yet another generation back I have a the family names Bagstad, & Bolstad among others I don't know of at the moment. I did come across the Bolstad thread while I was looking a little around the forums for anything that rang a bell in my mind, but apparently that family went to Australia & New Zealand area of the world & I don't know of or see any connection to them (yet, at least).

Siden jeg er vanligvis interesert i å fine mere ut om min familie, og slektshistorie, jeg lister her noen navner i tilfelle noen andre ut der leser disse sidene, kjenner igjen noen av navnene, & kanskje er til og med i slekt med meg. (Vil gjerne se eller høre noe fra deg hvis du tror du er.) Ser særlig etter informasjon om familiene Lothe (fra Hardanger), Blihovde, Berge, Hage, Bagstad, og Bolstad. Men hvis noen har mer informasjon om Op(p)heim eller Kvamme eller vet noe om de andre nevnet i amerikanske teksten, er jeg også interesert, & hvis noen letter etter mer informasjon om Op(p)heim eller Kvamme familiene (fra Voss), eller noen av de andre for den saken, skal jeg prøve å hjelpe de.

& if there is a "Cecil Berg" out there that's been working on family trees, I would really appreciate it if you contacted me, the first time I tried to contact you was about four years ago, & I have still not been able to do it

(hvis du heter "Cecil Berg" vil jeg gjerne se eller høre noe fra deg, jeg har prøvd å kontakte deg i forgjeves siden 4 år siden)

"no roots, no tree, no family, no me" - Faithless

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2007 :  13:00:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WHO is it that you are looking for from the Lothe farm? Please include available vital dates (like birth, marriage death) as available to you.
Go to Top of Page

North
Starting member

5 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2007 :  06:33:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
don't really have any dates to go on, besides that my grandmother was born December 13, 1921, as far as I know, she was named Anna, but there are so many Anna's in my family tree, I don't really regard that as helpful, but then again, maybe it is...

Anna Lothe (married & took the name Kvamme), & an older brother (by 7 years possibly) named Olav, the children of a Sjur O. Lothe married to a Brita Graue (spelling very uncertain), who might've had a sister named Guri & that's about as far back as I have it traced at the moment...

Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2007 :  15:26:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That Lothe farm (also found with spelling variation such as Lote) was located in the Kinsarvik/Ullensvang area in Hordaland. (Within the geographic region commonly called Hardanger)

Anna Lothe's parents were Sjur Olsen Lote (1882-1945) and Brita Eiriksdtr. Graue (1882-1966). Sjur had family ties as early as the1750s on the Lote farm in Kinsarvik but his wife was from the Voss area of Hordaland.
Sjur was not living with his parents and siblings on Lothe at the time of the1900 Norwegian census -
http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&sidenr=10&filnamn=f01230&gardpostnr=602&sokefelt=skjul
Sjur was 18 yrs old and then residing in nearby Vikøy (Kvam) area of Hordaland -
http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&sidenr=15&filnamn=f01238&gardpostnr=42&sokefelt=skjul
Sjur's birth/baptismal record is online in the collection of online scanned parish records at the Digitalarkivet website -
http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=2164&idx_id=2164&uid=ny&idx_side=-11
(Source information: Hordaland county, Kinsarvik in Ullensvang, Parish register (official) nr. E 1 (1882-1921), Birth and baptism records 1883, page 10.)

This MIGHT be Sjur's future wife Brita residing on the Kvalheim farm in Voss area in 1900 (note the younger sister named Guro) -
http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&sidenr=26&filnamn=f01235&gardpostnr=204&sokefelt=skjul
Brita married Sjur in her home parish (Voss) -
http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=2167&idx_id=2167&uid=ny&idx_side=-89

You will find HUGE amounts of original records and published histories available for both the Kinsarvik/Ullensvang and Voss areas of Hordaland. I'd recommend that you study the LDS Library catalog and begin your 'research plan' when you finish your study of the good online 'how-to' materials specific for Norway (also as listed in the links on this website).

http://www.rootsweb.com/~wgnorway/good-queries.htm
http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~norway/articles.html

Go to Top of Page

rkjone01
Starting member

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2007 :  16:16:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My Grandmother was a Kvamme and married a Kjonegaard and came to America in 1880.

Ron Kjonegaard
Go to Top of Page

North
Starting member

5 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2007 :  23:30:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thank-you very much, Hopkins, for those links, & the info

I realize that to get more specific answers, I should ask more specific questions, & I'll do that if I get stumped on something in particular, but for now I'm just exploring at my own pace, in my own way, & like I said, I'm throwing those names out there in case there are people exploring similar areas, know a lot about these families &/or are possibly even related

& rkjone01, I think there's a good chance that we're related, although it's a little ways out there

according to the info I have, there is a Brita (born in 1854) that married an Endre Sveinson Kjønnegard in 1874 & went to America in 1880, & Brita's mother, Ingri K. Kvamme was the daughter of Knut S. Kvamme, who was the son of Svein V. Kvamme, whose sister was Anna V. Kvamme who married Nils Nilsson Berge & their son was Knut N. Berge who married Guri Olsdtr. Kvamme, & they had a daughter named Ingri who went on to marry Ola E. (nedre) Oppheim, & they are/were my great-great-grandparents)

so, if it's the same Brita, we might be something like 5th or 6th cousins once removed:

the scions of: Viking Daveson Kjønnegard & Kristi Sveinsdtr. nedre Fenno
siblings: Svein (V. Kvamme) & Anna (V. Kvamme/Berge)
1st cousins: Knut (S. Kvamme) & Knut (N. Berge)
2nd cousins: Ingri (K. Kvamme) & Ingri (K. Berge)
3rd cousins: a grandmother of yours (Brita) & a great-grandfather of mine
4th cousins: a parent of yours & a grandfather of mine
5th cousins: you & a parent of mine
6th cousins: any child of yours & me

& also, would like to post another name out here now, I discovered I have some relatives that settled around Yankton, South Dakota, but instead of keeping their last name Op(p)heim after they arrived in America, the mother used the last name Sampson for her & the children (apparently the father, Samson, had passed away in Norway(?) (I think)) at least that's the name she used until she married a "Per Steffason Hole", as for the kids, they were Gjøri, Eirik, Ola, Ola, (one died young), Ågota, Synneva, Marta, & Lars & as far as I know all born in Norway but wound up in America with the last name Sampson, So if there are any Sampsons out there that can trace a bit of their history back to Yankton or recognize any of those names, it would be interesting to see or hear something from you!

Go to Top of Page

anneg
Starting member

Norway
6 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2007 :  23:51:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by North

Being usually interested in adding to the info. I have of my family tree, I figured I'd throw out some names here in case there is any body else that checks out these forums that recognizes the names, or are possibly even related. Going a couple generations back I have the family names Opheim (also spelled Oppheim), Kvamme, Lothe, & Nelson. Nelson's a very common name I know, the Nelson branch here though does not go far back, because the man was literally Nel's son & if he hadn't changed his surname it would've been Blihovde. I think I would find any Blihovde info more interesting then Nelson, but if somebody else thinks we share the same Nelson family in our trees, I'd try to provide any missing info for them. I think I have more information on Op(p)heim & Kvamme then Lothe, so would really appreciate any & all info on that name in particular (I believe the Lothe farm was somewhere in the Hardanger area, if that helps), & of course am willing to share info with any distant Opheim or Kvamme relatives out there. Going back another generation I have the family names Aanonson, Berge, Hage, & Olson (also a very common name I know, this one was a "Mathias" & an only child, as far as I know). Yet another generation back I have a the family names Bagstad, & Bolstad among others I don't know of at the moment. I did come across the Bolstad thread while I was looking a little around the forums for anything that rang a bell in my mind, but apparently that family went to Australia & New Zealand area of the world & I don't know of or see any connection to them (yet, at least).

Siden jeg er vanligvis interesert i å fine mere ut om min familie, og slektshistorie, jeg lister her noen navner i tilfelle noen andre ut der leser disse sidene, kjenner igjen noen av navnene, & kanskje er til og med i slekt med meg. (Vil gjerne se eller høre noe fra deg hvis du tror du er.) Ser særlig etter informasjon om familiene Lothe (fra Hardanger), Blihovde, Berge, Hage, Bagstad, og Bolstad. Men hvis noen har mer informasjon om Op(p)heim eller Kvamme eller vet noe om de andre nevnet i amerikanske teksten, er jeg også interesert, & hvis noen letter etter mer informasjon om Op(p)heim eller Kvamme familiene (fra Voss), eller noen av de andre for den saken, skal jeg prøve å hjelpe de.

& if there is a "Cecil Berg" out there that's been working on family trees, I would really appreciate it if you contacted me, the first time I tried to contact you was about four years ago, & I have still not been able to do it

(hvis du heter "Cecil Berg" vil jeg gjerne se eller høre noe fra deg, jeg har prøvd å kontakte deg i forgjeves siden 4 år siden)

Hello.

In the list af all names, i belive i know two of them, Kvamme and Bagstad...STILL, i beive it may be is BYGSTAD?

In the vestern part of Norway, a small village is called BYGSTAD, and its also a family name. (Im born there)
Try this e meil-adress to get more informatin: josteinf@vestdata.no

Anne Grethe
Wish yoy luck!

Anne Grethe Aase
Go to Top of Page

rkjone01
Starting member

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2007 :  15:22:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To North, Thanks for the info. Endre and Britta are the ones you refer to. They are my Grandparents. They came to america with two children and had nine more in south dakota. My Dad was the baby of the family and I am the baby of our family. I am sure we are related. Where are you located?

Thanks again.

Ron
Go to Top of Page

Stephanie Benoit

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 13/01/2007 :  18:36:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
[br
& also, would like to post another name out here now, I discovered I have some relatives that settled around Yankton, South Dakota, but instead of keeping their last name Op(p)heim after they arrived in America, the mother used the last name Sampson for her & the children (apparently the father, Samson, had passed away in Norway(?) (I think)) at least that's the name she used until she married a "Per Steffason Hole", as for the kids, they were Gjøri, Eirik, Ola, Ola, (one died young), Ågota, Synneva, Marta, & Lars & as far as I know all born in Norway but wound up in America with the last name Sampson, So if there are any Sampsons out there that can trace a bit of their history back to Yankton or recognize any of those names, it would be interesting to see or hear something from you!

I have emailed one of the descendants from this line to come to this site and connect with you.

Stephanie
Go to Top of Page

Stephanie Benoit

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 13/01/2007 :  18:53:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
[br

I have emailed one of the descendants from this line to come to this site and connect with you.

Stephanie
Go to Top of Page

North
Starting member

5 Posts

Posted - 13/01/2007 :  22:43:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks, Stephanie Beloit!

rkjone01, I'm in North Dakota for now, but it looks like you're traveling to Norway soon, & I would guess you'd rather get in contact with some relatives that are over there instead, so if that's the case, let me know.

anneg, I don't think I really have any reason to believe that the Bagstads were formerly Bygstads at the moment, but I'll keep it in mind, is the e-mail address yours, or somebody else's?
(jeg tror ikke Bagstad familien het Bygstad i fortiden, men jeg skal prøve å huske på den muligheten når jeg leter etter hvor i Norge de kom i fra, er e-mail adressen din eller noen andres?)

Edited by - North on 13/01/2007 22:53:27
Go to Top of Page

rkjone01
Starting member

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2007 :  17:36:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would also be interested in meeting relatives in this country. I Live in Chamberlain SD at the present time.
Thanks,

Ron Kjonegaard
Go to Top of Page

North
Starting member

5 Posts

Posted - 19/01/2007 :  19:12:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm near Hettinger, which is close to the border between the Dakotas. If you do come around this area, just look us up in the phone book (all the Opheims listed in the book under Hettinger are part of the same family) & give us a call, or send me an e-mail.

Go to Top of Page

rkjone01
Starting member

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2007 :  15:39:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anyone know how to get information from the Oppheim church. do they have information on cemetary location etc.

Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2007 :  22:05:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oppheim church? Is that somewhere in the US? Must be, I don't know of one like that in Norway.

Why don't you write to the county historical society, or the local genealogical society. Check the online genealogical and/or historical webpages about that county for possible listings of cemetery locations or even look for a published book about the county history.
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2007 :  22:47:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oppheim church is in Voss, Hordaland.

It's churchbook for the period 1880-1902 are available online here.

Jan Peter

Edited by - jwiborg on 29/01/2007 23:37:56
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article