All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Capt. Rolaf Olesen
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

stevej

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2002 :  20:24:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
K.P.,
Thank you very much, and you were right it is a great site!
I ran Rollefs name through their database and found him on his way to Quebec.
The problem is that he is with Katrine and her children , and NOT with Maren and her children.
I am starting to think that this is not the man we were looking for.
What do you think?
stevej

Go to Top of Page

askeroi

Norway
299 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2002 :  12:18:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, his occupation is suspicious, but isn't this Maren (married) Olsen and her children on this list?

http://www.slekt.org/utvandring/passlist/rjukan72.html

It seems like they met in America (rather common to marry someone from your homeplace for first generation immigrants...)

askeroi
Go to Top of Page

askeroi

Norway
299 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2002 :  13:15:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I do mean Mrs. Johannes Olsen, of course - not Mrs Rollev Olsen...

askeroi
Go to Top of Page

stevej

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2002 :  13:52:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi askeroi,
The ship I had found him on was the "Skien" leaving in 1870. The records I had on him said that he was already re-married to Maren around 1867.The records are pretty sketchy though,so my dates could be wrong.
On the list for the "Skien" ,they have him as Rollef Olsen Braekkejordet, what does Braekkejordet mean?
Thanks, stevej

Go to Top of Page

K.P. Hansen
Starting member

Norway
12 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2002 :  16:39:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
stevej,
Brækkejordet is just the name of a place where he lived or was born. I will however mention that captain in the military whas a quite high post at that time in Norway, or to put it more correctly - he would have been a rather important man. From where do you know that he was a capitain ? Thanks for helping me with my "fellows" in Wisconsin.
K.P.

Go to Top of Page

stevej

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2002 :  17:06:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
K.P.,
"Capt." is the only way he was mentioned in any family record.As I had mentioned to askeroi, I had nothing for info. on him except that he married my ancestor Maren and came to the U.S. about 1873. No place or date of birth were ever given , and no clue as to why they called him "Capt."
stevej

Go to Top of Page

stevej

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2002 :  20:08:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Heres a question:
If Rollef left Skien with his first wife Katrine in 1870 , and Maren and her children left in 1872 , where along the line did she become Maren Olsen ? He must of returned to marry her between 1870 and 1872.Correct?
He is also not listed on the manifest of the "Rjukan" when Maren leaves , so was he still in Norway or had he left ahead of them?
Getting a HUGE headache,
stevej

Go to Top of Page

K.P. Hansen
Starting member

Norway
12 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2002 :  22:01:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
But Stevej,
Did they marry in USA or in Norway? It can be the same people, but youre dates can be incorrect.
K.P.

Go to Top of Page

stevej

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2002 :  23:38:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
K.P.,
Supposedly they were married in Norway.The point I was trying to make is that in the 1865 census she was listed as Maren Torkildsd. and when she boarded the "Rjuken" in 1872 she was Maren Olsen.

Edited by - stevej
Go to Top of Page

askeroi

Norway
299 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2002 :  06:20:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Please remember that at this time name "systems" were changing. The old way of everybody keeping their birth name were wanishing, and more and more women tokk their husbuands name as surname. Maren Thorkildsdatter called herself Maren Olsen as her first husband was named Johannes Olsen. She left for US under that name. There she met your captain. But you can very well understand why you're information is wrong about them being married in Norway: they allready had the same name. Please remember that BOTH her husbands were Olsens...

Another thing I wonder about: WHY are you interested in these people - if we've found the right ones they're probably too old to have common children?

askeroi
Go to Top of Page

askeroi

Norway
299 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2002 :  06:48:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
K.P. is right about a military captain being a highly ranked person, but ANY floating thing had a "captain".

What did he do for a living in the US? My guess is sailing a small boat giving him the title IN THE US.

From the 1865 census you can see that he was born in Sauda, Telemark. That's not exactly by the sea. He didn't have a naval growing up - he probably was one of the younger sons on a small farm he couldn't inherit an left for Skien - to him "the big city" - to get work. He was living at just the right time when "everybody" was doing that - leaving the farm land and went to the cities for work.

I do think a bit more research on his time in the US would of great help...

askeroi
Go to Top of Page

askeroi

Norway
299 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2002 :  10:12:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
But if he has a seamen's record in Norway, here's the adress to write to:

Riksarkivet, Sjømannsseksjonen, Folke Bernadottes vei 21, NO-0862 OSLO, NORWAY.

Don't forget to give them ALL information you (think you) have on him and YOUR OWN (snail mail) address they can reply to. GOOD LUCK!

askeroi
Go to Top of Page

stevej

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2002 :  14:09:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello askeroi,
The "Capt." has been an enigma in our family for as long as I can remember.Maren Olsen was my GGGrandmother and after they left Norway they vanished. Marens children show up in Wisconsin , and 3 of them settled around the town where I live. Even Olava Jacobsen lived nearby.
If we can finally place the "Capt" and Maren in Canada - as it appears we can - hopefully I can find where they both are buried. And maybe even alittle about there life there.
Thanks, stevej

Go to Top of Page

pheisholt
Starting member

Norway
17 Posts

Posted - 18/04/2021 :  12:37:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Although this thread is from 2002, I'm taking a chance on reviving the dialogue.

[stevej]: It sounds like you are talking about my 3rd great grandmother Catherine Petersdatter [1811–after 1870] and her second husband Rollef Olsen [1812–after 1870].

Catherine married my 3rd great grandfather Ole Johannessen Heisholt Jr. [1810–bef 1840] on May 16, 1832 in Gjerpen, Telemark. They had three children:
  • (Johan) Petter Olsen [1832–1909] (my 2nd great grandfather)

• Johannes Olsen [1832–aft 1869]

• Karen Maria Olsdatter [1836–1927]

Johan Petter and Johannes were twins.

Catherine remarried on Jan 23, 1840 in Gjerpen, Telemark. She and Rollef had 4 children:
  • Olava Kristine Rollefsdatter [1845–1937] (arrived in Quebec on June 7, 1870 with husband Johan Jacobsen and two sons Jonas Rudolf and Carl Mathias. She and her husband are buried at Mount Olive Cemetery, Chicago)

• Dorthe Maria Rollefsdatter [1847–1???] (arrived in Quebec on June 1, 1872 with husband Christopher Hansen and a son Hans Rudolf [1870–1???]. In 1873 they had another son, also named Hans Rudolf, which seems to indicate that son number one had died earlier.)

• Regine Cathrine Rollefsdatter [1847–1880] (left for North America in April 1867 with her husband Niels Larsen Ballestad and her half-sister Karen Marie Olsdatter. Regine seems to have died in Chicago shortly after she gave birth to her daughter Regine. She also had a son named Ludvig, born in Chicago in 1870.

• Ole Rollefsen [1850–1???] (arrived in Quebec on June 7, 1870 with his parents)

Regine Cathrine and Dorthe Maria were twins.

Cathrine and Rollef emigrated to North America in 1870, departing from Skien on April 12, 1870 aboard the ship "Skien", arriving in Quebec on June 7, 1870. But prior to that – on May 25, 1866 – church records show that Cathrine and Rollef (+ 5 children aged 15-30) moved from Gjerpen to Skien in Telemark. Rollef is listed as a 'sailor' at the time.

So far we haven't been able to find any traces of Rollef and Cathrine after they arrived in Quebec in 1870.

----

Now back to Cathrine's children with Ole Johannessen Heisholt Jr. Her son Johannes Olsen [1832–aft 1869] married Maren Thorkildsdatter [1826–1???].

They had at least 5 children: Karoline Berthea [1856–1???], Ole [1858–1???], Johannes Martinius [1860–1???], Johannes Martinius [1862–1???], Theodor [1864–1893]. All born in Skien, Telemark, Norway. We assume that the first Johannes Martinius died shortly after birth, but haven't been able to find his death listed in any church records.

Johannes Olsen was a sailor. In 1869 he enlisted on the "Neptunus". However, after the ship arrived in Quebec on July 17, 1869, he seems to have jumped ship. According to his sailing record he deserted. Have so far not been able to find any trace of him after that.

In 1872 Maren and her four children (Karoline Berthea, Ole, Johannes Martinius and Theodor) emigrated to North America. They departed Skien aboard "Rjukan" on April 11, 1872, arriving in Quebec on May 23, 1872.

So far we haven't been able to find out if Maren ever rejoined her husband.

Theodor Olsen [1864–1893] seems to have married Norwegian born Mary Jane Hansen [1865–1927] on Jun 22, 1886. The couple settled in Menomonie, Dunn County, Wisconsin.

They had at least three children: John Thomas [1887–1???], Anna Marie [1888–1925] and Caroline Bertha [1890–1???].

Theodor was only 29 years old when he passed away. He is buried at Christ Lutheran Halvorson Cemetery in Menomonie.

[stevej]: Your postings seem to indicate that Rollef Olsen married Maren Thorkildsdatter. Do you any records to support that? If so, we'd be very interested in copies or links.

-paul-

Edited by - pheisholt on 20/04/2021 12:31:56
Go to Top of Page

slaleike

USA
57 Posts

Posted - 20/04/2021 :  05:05:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, Paul:
I don't really have too much to offer here, just a hunch that Regine Catherine and her husband and half sister may have traveled to the USA on the same ship as my ancestors from Skien/Gjerpen. Jan Peter Svendsen and Gunhild Olsdatter left Gjerpen with their two surviving children aboard the bark Amelia, sailing from Porsgrunn on 18 april 1867. From other discussions on this amazingly helpful board, I have gotten the impression that often groups of emigrants would leave together from the same neighborhoods/parishes and sail out on the same ships. Additionally, my people ended up in Chicago for awhile as did your family; Gunhild birthed a son there, before they moved to central Wisconsin. Perhaps they traveled together for more than just the ocean journey. Good luck in your continued searchings here! If anyone can help, it is indeed the fine members of this group.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article