All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Christain Tromm
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 54

David Yaw
Medium member

United Kingdom
128 Posts

Posted - 15/10/2013 :  23:39:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jkmarler

Hoping that Christian's will from his WWI will reveal something, also. Very interesting set of records, thanks for the reference to the article.

Derek, I was at the main probate registry office in London this afternoon in connection with my own family research. I took the opportunity to check out the indexes for the years 1921 and 1922 for Thompson, Thomson and Tomson - regret to report no matches for Christian. Let's hope there is indeed a document from his army service, and that it wasn't with the rest of his records destroyed in that bombing raid.
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 15/10/2013 :  23:57:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Yaw

Derek, I was at the main probate registry office in London this afternoon in connection with my own family research. I took the opportunity to check out the indexes for the years 1921 and 1922 for Thompson, Thomson and Tomson - regret to report no matches for Christian. Let's hope there is indeed a document from his army service, and that it wasn't with the rest of his records destroyed in that bombing raid.

Cristian Tompson died in January 1920, so maybe the probate was in 1920?
Go to Top of Page

jungfigh

Malta
326 Posts

Posted - 16/10/2013 :  02:35:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Hoping that Christian's will from his WWI will reveal something, also. Very interesting set of records, thanks for the reference to the article.

Thank-you David.

I had the same problem.

DL. ;o) Malta. G.C.
Go to Top of Page

jungfigh

Malta
326 Posts

Posted - 16/10/2013 :  02:40:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jwiborg

quote:

Cristian Tompson died in January 1920, so maybe the probate was in 1920?

Thank-you Jan-Peter I had covered that date. Christian certainly is an enigma wrapped up in a conundrum..!

DL. ;o) Malta. G.C.

Edited by - jungfigh on 16/10/2013 06:56:11
Go to Top of Page

jungfigh

Malta
326 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2013 :  10:04:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jungfigh

A medallist in England put me onto this site. He says his monthly magazine states that ALL wills made by WW1 soldiers will eventually be on-line. At present only soldiers who were killed/died in action are available. He also says that it was mandatory for every soldier to make a will. That makes sense

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-23861821

Below is the full transcript from the medallist I mentioned:

A LASTING LEGACY.

Thousands of soldiers' wills written during World War 1 are being made available on-line. The project has been initiated by Her Majesty's Court and Tribunal Service (HMCTS) who are releasing the documents from their huge archive as being part of next year's World War 1 centenary commemorations. Some 280,000 soldiers' wills are held by the Probate Officer and will be available as an on-line database. Every soldier had to complete a will before they headed to the front line so, should they pay the ultimate sacrifice, then their estate could be dealt with. The soldiers carried a copy with them and many used the opportunity to write letters to their nearest and dearest. Courts Minister Helen Grant said "This fascinating project has opened the door to a whole new insight on our war heroes-it has given us the opportunity for the first time to hear the thoughts and emotions of the brave soldiers who died for this country in their own words". The documents will be available shortly and scanned copies of "The First World War Wills" can be searched and copies ordered on-line at www.gov.uk/probate-search for a small fee.

Your comments please.

DL. ;o) Malta. G.C.

Edited by - jungfigh on 18/10/2013 10:08:24
Go to Top of Page

jungfigh

Malta
326 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2013 :  11:04:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Unfortunately no information on the Will Christian had to submit.

DL. ;o) Malta. G.C.
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2013 :  19:16:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The article link you posted earlier in the topic mentioned that the database online contains only those wills of men who were killed in action. Since Christian survived his military experience he is unlikely to be in the database. However, his will may have been preserved, but just not indexed.

Go to Top of Page

jungfigh

Malta
326 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2013 :  22:10:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hope so Jackie.

I've still a few 'irons in the fire' pending from UK. Hopefully will have them sometime next week.

DL. ;o) Malta. G.C.
Go to Top of Page

jungfigh

Malta
326 Posts

Posted - 21/10/2013 :  22:06:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jungfigh

Dear Mr Borg.

That is my Maternal Grandmother (sitting) in the picture you posted. I don't know who the other lady is. One discrepancy: my Nan died about 1952. I was 8 years old.

I would like to thank all contributors in my search. I will scrutinise them all tomorrow...an early start beckons. Thank-you all.

To-day I received Maud's Death Certificate. The year shewn was 1960. Amazing how time plays tricks on the mind. I could have sworn it was 8 years earlier.

DL. ;o) Malta. G.C.
Go to Top of Page

jungfigh

Malta
326 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2013 :  12:19:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One of the certificates received from England, the wedding of Cristian and Maud dated July 19th. 1903. The Parish Church (Christchurch Ramsgate). His Father Donald Tompson (carpenter), her Father Thomas Fast (fisherman).

Cristian and Maud were both shewn as living at the same address at the time of their wedlock.
Cristian signs as Cristian Tompson. ( No H ).
Maud signs as Maud Olivia Adams Fast. (not hyphenated)..

He 20 years.

She 17 years.

DL. ;o) Malta. G.C.
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2013 :  16:27:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just curious, topic is so big now can't remember if anyone has looked at the 1901 England census at the Fast family to see if they had other boarders or fisherman living with them that year...
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2013 :  16:39:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Grasping for straws.....

Search criteria:
given name including rist: christ, christain, christan, christean, christen, christian, christin, christjan, cristen, cristian, krist, kristain, kristan, kristban, kristean, kristen, kristiae, kristian, kristinius, kristinn, kristion, kristjan, kristoval, kristpinus, kristtian, kristyen, krristian, risten

surname starting with to: tobias, tobiasen, tobiass, tobiassen, tobies, tobiesen, tolefsen, tolfsen, tolfsrød, tollags, tollaks, tollaksen, tollefs, tollefsen, tollefssøn, tollevs, tollevsen, tollis, tollisen, tollofs, tolløfsen, tomas, tomasen, tomass, tomassen, tomasson, tomassøn, tommas, tommasen, tommassen, tommasstuen, tommesen, torakilds, torberg, torbergsen, torbjørns, torbjørnsen, torbjørnsrud, torbjørs, tordsen, torers, tores, toresen, toreson, toress, toressen, torevalds, torgals, torgers, torgersen, torgerss, torgrims, torgunrud, torjes, torjesen, torjeson, torjus, torjusen, torjuss, torjussen, torjusson, torkels, torkelsen, torkelss, torkilds, torkildsen, torkils, torkilsen, tormodsen, torsen, torson, torsteins, torsteinsen, torstens, torstensen, torstenson, torvalds, torvaldsen, torvilds, torvilsøn, tossen, tostens, tostensen
birthyear 1883 +/- one year: 1882, 1883, 1884
occupation includes fis: fisker, fiskeri

Finds 5 possibles:
Rogalnd, Egersund
Kristian Torkildsen b. 1882 Egersunds ladestad sta; father’s full name and occupation not known from census entry since this Kristian is an employee:
http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/WebCens.exe?slag=visbase&sidenr=20&filnamn=f01116&gardpostnr=39&personpostnr=231&merk=231#ovre

Rogaland, Strand
Kristian Tostensen Fjelle b 1883 Strand; father Tosten Kristiansen Fjelle boat builder
http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/WebCens.exe?slag=visbase&sidenr=17&filnamn=f01130&gardpostnr=285&personpostnr=1596&merk=1596#ovre

Møre og Romsdal, Edø
Kristian Toresen b. 1883 Edø; listed as son of Paul Jakobsen, Kristian is temporarily away in Trondheim
http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/WebCens.exe?slag=visbase&sidenr=23&filnamn=f01573&gardpostnr=371&personpostnr=2439&merk=2439#ovre

Sør Trøndelag, Aa
Kristian Torbergsen b. 1884 Aa; son of Torberg Olsen
http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/WebCens.exe?slag=visbase&sidenr=26&filnamn=f01630&gardpostnr=308&personpostnr=2309&merk=2309#ovre

Nordland, Rødø
Kristian Torstensen b. 1884 Rødø; father is Torsten Hanssen
http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/WebCens.exe?slag=visbase&sidenr=29&filnamn=f01836&gardpostnr=91&personpostnr=589&merk=589#ovre

None are particularly enticing as no Donald for father, no birthplace or residence reminiscent of Trom or Lauden Vordner. Only one's father, Kristian from Strand, is demonstrably a carpenter (boat building requires carpentry unless one building a metal ship).

But at least this is on the wall....
Go to Top of Page

jungfigh

Malta
326 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2013 :  16:48:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank-you for your continuing help Jackie...we'll get there.

DL. ;o) Malta. G.C.
Go to Top of Page

jungfigh

Malta
326 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2013 :  17:14:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Just curious, topic is so big now can't remember if anyone has looked at the 1901 England census at the Fast family to see if they had other boarders or fisherman living with them that year...

No Jackie.
It shews Father Thomas (fisherman).

Mother Ann Mary.

Maud and five brothers living in Bloomsbury Road, Ramsgate. No lodgers.

Bloomsbury Road is also the address shared by Cristian and Maud at the time of their marriage (1903).

The 1911 Census shews Cristian and Maud living in Alma Road Ramsgate. With 5 daughters. The son's were not yet born.
Cristian is shewn as a Timbermerchant (sawer/labourer).

DL. ;o) Malta. G.C.
Go to Top of Page

jungfigh

Malta
326 Posts

Posted - 23/10/2013 :  22:22:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've widened my search: Lloyds of London ( ship losses, etc). and similar to try to establish Cristian's date of birth. It must be recorded somewhere.

DL. ;o) Malta. G.C.

Edited by - jungfigh on 23/10/2013 22:23:33
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 54 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article