All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Christain Tromm
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 54

jungfigh

Malta
326 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2013 :  06:25:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank-you Jackie, Kåre.

It is such a coincidence that two official English documents, for two different Norwegian Men shew Walden, as their place of birth. Was there ever such a place, or as, suggested, corrupted down the line..?

This quest is so intriguing that it becomes exhausting at times.But we'll get there..!

DL. ;o) Malta. G.C.

Edited by - jungfigh on 02/11/2013 10:11:11
Go to Top of Page

jungfigh

Malta
326 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2013 :  08:12:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Could either of these be Cristian's birthplace..?

http://www.geographic.org/geographic_names/name.php?uni=-440013&fid=4436&c=norway

http://www.indexmundi.com/z/?lat=63.7&lon=8.5666667&t=p&r=8840&p=volden&cc=no&c=norway

DL. ;o) Malta. G.C.

Edited by - jungfigh on 02/11/2013 10:14:20
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2013 :  02:27:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kåarto

Walden, changed from Valden, Wolden or Volden?
It was a large number of Volden farm (1878 persons) in Norway in 1900, 36 persons on Valden farms, 14 persons on Wolden farms.
Kåre

More statistical studies. In the 1900 census found 5 parishes which had a farm named exactly Valden (for a total of 6 farms):
Oppland, Dovre
Oppland, Vaage
Aust Agder, Dybvaag
Vest Agder, Vanse
Rogaland, Strands (2 farms)

Oppland, Aust-Agder, Vest Agder & Rogaland are fylke and may be roughly equivalent to shires in Britain.

There were a great deal more of farms with names spelled exactly Volden, 296 (not including those which might have had volden as a part of a longer name) Of these there were 46 on which there was someone named Christian (and all the reasonable spellings possible) but none found matching a birthyear 1882 +/-2 years. The one fylke (like shire) which had the largest number of Christians was Nordland which accounted for 18 total in about 10 or so different parishes.

W appears with less frequency in Norwegian than does V. Sometimes the letters appear to be used interchangeably but generally V is more favored through time.

Since it isn't known when Cristian came to England with certainty, there is a possibility that he was born in Norway and transported to England in advance of 1900, thereby missing the census of that year.

In the Norwegian 1900 census, the overwhelming majority of people who give Volden as a birthplace appear to be referring to the parish Volda in which it was found there were a total of 3 baby boys born either named Kristian or had Kristian as a middle name in the years 1882-1884. There were none in 1883 and Kristian Elias was the only one who had Kristian for a first name rather than a middle name. There was another his name was Kristian Fredrik b. 22 Sept 1884 son of Gudleik Olai Ellingson b. Rødsæt.

Kristian Elias Danielsen grew up and made confirmation age. But he is not found in Norway in the 1900 census anywhere. If he was a sailor as was his older brother Ananias he could be away and missed being counted in the sailor's census list in 1900 as well as the regular schedules.

I searched the outmigrating lists from Volda and did not find him. I don't know how compliant Volden folk were in getting the pastor's permits and permission to leave the parish. For instance Kristian Elias' family left Volda for a period of about 10 years from 1884ish, moving to a place called Kabelvaag and I didnot find their inmigrating record to Volda when they returned about 1893 or so. I haven't yet searched the funeral /deaths in Volda parish registers from 1898-1900 but his name doesn't appear in the very nicely done searchable database of the funerals of Volda at the digitalarikevet.

Records which would greatly assist searching for a mention of Kristian Elias Danielsen would be the 3 volume Volda bygdebøker, the dødsfallprotokol of his eldest brother Daniel Andreas Danielson who died in 1898, his mother Johanne Ananiasdatter who died in 1900 in which he may be listed as living elsewhere and possibly where and that record of any other unmarried siblings who died before 1920 may also tell such a detail about him. The dødsfallprotokols are mini estate records and these records are being mounted on the digitalarkivet site. So far the dates for Møre og Romsdal fylke records of this sort published online are prior to 1898 so cannot help. The Norwegian archives may be able to search records not yet mounted but I've not ever requested that kind of search so am unfamiliar with procedure but perhaps some of the Norwegian nationals on the forum have done and can share how to go about it.

Edited by - jkmarler on 03/11/2013 23:17:52
Go to Top of Page

jungfigh

Malta
326 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2013 :  06:51:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Phew: Great information Jackie, Thank-you very much. The search continues..!

DL. ;o) Malta. G.C.
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2013 :  09:42:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Without seeing the above replies, I also noticed this Kristian Elias Danielson b 02 Nov 1882 in Volda. He seems like a plausible clue.

My best guess for place of birth "Wolden" is Volda in Møre og Romsdal county.

ps: A strandsitter was a man who did not own any land, but owned a house on rented ground, preferably near the coast. Normally they paid rent for this lease.
Go to Top of Page

jungfigh

Malta
326 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2013 :  10:34:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One of the links I found:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volda

Thank-you Jan Peter. Volda is very well documented on line.

DL. ;o) Malta. G.C.
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2013 :  12:10:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great link. You see the name change from Volden to Volda took place in 1918. Now it would be great to find his date of birth in some english records. Could it be 02 NOV 1882?

His father was listed as Donald..., which could fit with Daniel. Could "Thompson" be made up, for simplicity...?
Go to Top of Page

jungfigh

Malta
326 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2013 :  14:22:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great train of thought Jan Peter. I'm on the case..!

DL. ;o) Malta. G.C.
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2013 :  14:37:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For the record, Daniel Strømme (1854-) is on this family page.
But his son Christian born 02 Nov 1882 is not listed, so the manager of the webpage obviously doesn't know about him.

Daniels occupation is listed as woodwork and carpentry. It's also interesting that his older brother Annanias was a seaman.

Edited by - jwiborg on 03/11/2013 14:37:33
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2013 :  14:58:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another family page.
iii. Kristian Elias Danielsson Straume, f. 02.11.1882, d. 1918, emigrert til Amerika.
Where would this info come from? It says he emigrated to America, and died in 1918. It is possible that it could be England and 1920...?

There is an e-mail link to the web-owner at the bottom left of this page. He states on his webpage that "If you find errors in my reports or have additional information, I would be very happy for an email!"

It also says his brother Ananias Johannes Danielsson Straume born 13 Feb 1880 emigrated to England.(!!!)

Edited by - jwiborg on 03/11/2013 15:49:47
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2013 :  15:12:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jungfigh

It is such a coincidence that two official English documents, for two different Norwegian Men shew Walden, as their place of birth.

What's the name of the other person with p.o.b. = Walden?
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2013 :  15:36:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Too real, maybe the brothers' destinations were turned around?

The names are at the top of page 15 this post...

Evolution of the name Trom to Thompson. (Cristian)

Evolution of the farm name Strømme to Straume (Norway)

Perhaps the Trom comes from a slightly remembered Strømme?

Edited by - jkmarler on 03/11/2013 16:16:04
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2013 :  16:13:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jwiborg

Without seeing the above replies, I also noticed this Kristian Elias Danielson b 02 Nov 1882 in Volda. He seems like a plausible clue.

My best guess for place of birth "Wolden" is Volda in Møre og Romsdal county.

A good proposel Jan Peter
Googling; Volda Wolden
I got 302 000 hits and Volda was spelled Wolden in the 1801 cencus.

Kåre
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2013 :  16:25:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is one of the Christian Stromme found in US records, arriving New York in 1910:

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/JJFY-Z31

There is no one named Ananias in 1910 Norway born Volden with the birthdate of 13 Feb 1880--so he left Norway between 1900 & 1910 or died between those dates.

Edited by - jkmarler on 03/11/2013 18:00:48
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2013 :  19:02:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Derek, you have mentioned that the service records of WWI Brits were destroyed. But apparently there are some fragments left. There is this database at www.familysearch.org. It's not searchable in that there is no search engine yet available for it but it is browseable... Here is small description of contents and the page link to the 43,000,000 records:

"United Kingdom, World War I Service Records, 1914-1920
Description
This collection contains World War I service records from 1914-1920. It contains records from two publications in the National Archives: WO 363 (War Office: Soldiers' Documents, First World War "Burnt Documents") and WO 364 (War Office: Documents from Pension Claims, First World War)."

https://familysearch.org/search/collection/2125045

Perhaps, if Maude never remarried she might have claimed a pension based on her husband's service....

Unfortunately there is a caveat on the use of these images:
"
Image Visiblity
Whenever possible, Family Search makes images available for all users. However, ultimate rights to view images on our website are granted by the record Custodians, The National Archives. The United Kingdom, World War I Service Records, 1914-1920 collection is available to the Family History Library, FamilySearch Centers, and to members of the supporting organization, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. The images can be viewed at a FamilySearch Center near you. "

Which restrictions apparently keep any old internet user from seeing them...

Is there a Family History Center in Malta?

Edited by - jkmarler on 03/11/2013 20:54:42
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 54 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article