All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Christain Tromm
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 54

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2013 :  20:50:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The descendant does not know where Ananias was run over by the train, other than it was in America. It could have been "Buffalo", but he could not find any source for that.
I showed him the picture of Cristian and the 7 children, and although he had seen old pictures of his family, he had never seen this picture.
He did not see any similarity to Alfred, but could imagine that Daniel maybe would have looked something like this at that age.
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2013 :  03:11:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well there are a lot of towns named Buffalo in US:

Buffalo, White County, Indiana
Buffalo, Scott county, Iowa
Buffalo, Wilson county, Kansas
Buffalo, Larue county, Kentucky
Buffalo, Wright county, Minnesota
Buffalo, Dallas county, Missouri
Buffalo, Fergus county, Montana
Buffalo, Erie county, New York
Buffalo, Cass county, North Dakota
Buffalo, Guernsey county, Ohio
Buffalo, Harper county, Oklahoma
Buffalo, Washington county, Pennsylvania
Buffalo, Harding county, South Dakota
Buffalo, Leon county, Texas
Buffalo, Putnam county, West Virginia
Buffalo, Johnson county, Wyoming

And double this number if it's Buffalo + something additional.
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2013 :  03:14:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Realistically, England itself is an island but don't forget Ramsgate was on the Isle of Thanet....
Go to Top of Page

jungfigh

Malta
326 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2013 :  11:26:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jwiborg

What is left to search for in the UK; in order to locate Cristian Tompson's date of birth?
Did he apply for naturalisation as a British citizen?
Any probate register? Death record? Burial record?

Kristian Elias Danielssen Strømme in question was born 02 Nov 1882 in Volda, Møre & Romsdal, Norway.

Good morning Jan Peter,

With regard 1,2,and 4. No information.

Death record as shewn, but, no death certificate issued as he went down with his ship, Captain included who acts as the registrar in British registered ships. I was told when I telephoned Southampton that ALL who perished when Titanic was lost, the same applied. The Captain was lost with his ship.

Subsequent survivors who perished in boats, later ashore etc. Did receive certs.

I only hope the British Army can supply me with a 'Will' and possibly a date and place of birth, definitively, of the very elusive Cristian.

Sincerely,

Derek. Malta. G.C.

DL. ;o) Malta. G.C.
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2013 :  15:39:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Emigrants travelling to "Buffalo" from Trondheim:
162 Buffalo, New York
38 Buffalo, Minn
10 Buffalo
9 New Buffalo, Dakota
8 Buffalo, Cap. Dakota
6 Buffalo, N. Dakota
4 Buffalo, Dakota
1 Buffalo, Wisc
1 Buffalo, S. Dakota
1 Buffalo, Erie N. N.
1 Buffalo, Erico

Emigrants travelling to "Buffalo" from Ålesund:
5 Buffalo
3 Buffalo, u.s.a.
1 Buffalo, Dakota

So a "qualified" wild shot would be Buffalo, Erie county, New York. Is there a train station "hub" there, where you have connecting tracks from various parts of the country?
And was a Norwegian killed in an train accident there in 1918?

Edited by - jwiborg on 09/12/2013 15:46:13
Go to Top of Page

David Yaw
Medium member

United Kingdom
128 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2013 :  16:02:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Apologies in advance if I sound like a dog with a bone with Cristian’s stated father’s forename of Donald and a Norwegian link thereto.

Herewith another unusual entry in the UK records.

Donald STEWART appears in the 1861, 1871 and 1881 censuses as follows :.

1861 – Donald b Norway 1854, son of John Stewart, born 1816 Dunkeld, Perthshire, farmer of 180 acres (= about 75 hectares) and wife Susannah Stewart b England 1822 and living in Tarbert, Gigha, Argyllshire. Tarbert is on the west coast of Scotland about 50 miles west of Glasgow as the crow flies. Gigha is a district of Argyll, and also the name of an island about 3 miles off the coast between the mainland and Islay. (I could not trace a marriage record for John & Susannah in England & Wales – I do not have access to Scotland’s People to site to check that out)

1871 – Donald b Norway, Sharpsborg (Sarpsborg ??) aged 16, bricklayer, living with his widowed mother Susannah, b Cambridge 1823 and her mother Lydia Aldus, born Hemingford, Hants(ie Hampshire), 1790 living in King Street, Batley, West Yorkshire
(Note: Lydia’s birthplace appears to be transcribed incorrectly – I think it should read Hemingford, Huntingdonshire. And Susannah’s maiden name may have been Allpress, not Aldus – there is a marriage record for Lydia Allpress and James Aldus b Laxfield Suffolk 1777 – they married abt Mar 1847 in St Ives on the Cambridgeshire/Huntingdonshire borders, and comparing 1841 and 1851 censuses looks like she was his second wife. The 1841 census also has a Susannah Allpress apparently unmarried living in the Wakefield district and born outside the county – the same area of Yorkshire as Batley to which she would later return,)

1881 – Donald b Norway, British Subject, aged 25 unmarried, general labourer living in Batley, West Yorkshire with widowed mother Susannah, lodging house keeper aged 60 b Fen Drayton, Cambridgeshire and his younger brother George age 23 born Scotland. Note there is a death record about Dec 1882 for Susannah Stewart aged 57 (calculated yob 1825) in Dewsbury - Batley is in this district, so very likely Donald’s mother.

Donald is not found in the 1891, 1891, 1901 or 1911 censuses (for the latter I only have access to England & Wales, not Scotland), nor did I find a matching death record for his year of birth (also England & Wales only).

I looked up Sarpsborg on Digitalarkivet – but the Ministerial records don’t start until 1859, ie 5 years after Donald’s supposed birth. (Can any of our Norwegian friends confirm whether there records simply don’t exist before 1859, or exist but are just not digitised ??)

So how does a young Norwegian-born son come to be part of this family with no obvious link to Norway ??

Were John & Susannah Donald’s natural parents ?? If so, why would modest farmers from Scotland be in Sarpsborg at the time of his birth around 1854/5 ??

Or might they have been his adoptive parents ?? But neither Tarbert nor Gigha are on any obvious route between Norway and western Scotland which might have brought Norwegian vessels or travellers there.

Where does he go after the 1881 census ?? Is it feasible he returned to Norway, where he soon married and his wife bore him a son Cristian in about 1883 ?? Then where does he/they go ??

And if – and it’s a big if !! - all this were so, why might the surname be changed from Stewart to Stromme or Tompson ??

Can anyone at least help in finding birth records for Sarpsborg, or later records for Donald ??

Another long shot – just hope its not yet another blind alley
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2013 :  16:06:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For Sarpsborg before 1859, you have to look under Tune.
Go to Top of Page

David Yaw
Medium member

United Kingdom
128 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2013 :  16:09:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Derek, more on Cristian's father Donald.

Looking at some UK marriage certificates today from my own tree, I noticed that a number included the comment "deceased" against the father of the bride and/or groom. Not sure if this was a hard and fast "rule" of the Registrars.

But just going back to the original of Cristian's marriage certificate which I think you now have, does it make any such comment against his father ??

If not, maybe indicates there was a Donald Tompson still out there somewhere at time of the marriage who we still need to search for.
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2013 :  16:10:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kristian Elias Danielssen Strømme in question was born 02 Nov 1882 in Volda, Møre & Romsdal, Norway.

I believe you have found the right person, only the final proof for your Christians birtday remains.

His father Daniel could well be Donald in the UK.
Acc. to the 1900 census Daniels occ. was stoneworker and CARPENTER.

Kåre

Go to Top of Page

David Yaw
Medium member

United Kingdom
128 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2013 :  16:29:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

For Sarpsborg before 1859, you have to look under Tune.

Jan Peter, thanks for this. I checked the records for Tune. I'm pretty sure I found the record - No 251 for baptisms 1854. Looks like Robert Donald, s/o John Stevard, born 10 July 1854 baptised 15 September 1854 - I think this must be him and they were natural parents.

Apologies - haven't figured out yet how to paste the permanent link here. Maybe someone could help with that and translate rest of the text.

Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2013 :  17:38:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Jan Peter

1903 Marriage Record, Cristian and Maud
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2013 :  18:35:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's the link for #251. His parents are unmarried:

Source information: Østfold county, Tune, Parish register (official) nr. 11 (1852-1856), Birth and baptism records 1854, page 71.
Permanent pagelink: http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=456&idx_id=456&uid=ny&idx_side=-75

How does this Robert Donald explain the situation about the last name Tompson?

Apparently there was a question on the record. She is listed as Hustruen or Hustrue, so married but his position is unclear maybe not Ungkarl but Brug.Karl which is something else. The whole notation in the legitimate or illegitimate column is marked "ligesaa" which means same as above or ditto and the one above is legitmate. So never mind me...

Edited by - jkmarler on 09/12/2013 19:12:07
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2013 :  18:38:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
...and birth place Walden?

Originally posted by jkmarler
His last name was changed from Tromm to Tompson. Perhaps it was changed from "Strommen" to Tromm to Tompson. In Norway the most common spelling of Strommen would be Strømmen. Here is Kristian Strommen onboard vessel b. 1883:
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XSF3-3D5

David Yaw added information about this vessel, the Rapid, and more, page 8 of this thread.

Edited by - JaneC on 09/12/2013 19:10:13
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2013 :  19:00:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Here's the link for #251. His parents are unmarried:

- I read "Ligesaa" ref the one above - it says "Ægte af Tune", i.e they were married.

Einar
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2013 :  19:17:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jkmarler

His last name was changed from Tromm to Tompson. Perhaps it was changed from "Strommen" to Tromm to Tompson. In Norway the most common spelling of Strommen would be Strømmen. Here is Kristian Strommen onboard vessel b. 1883:

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XSF3-3D5

That is a really good finding. I had totally missed this one.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 54 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article