All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Christain Tromm
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 54

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2013 :  19:19:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Family history is seldom perfect but always in a state of being perfected... So all have to be explored to find the truth
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2013 :  19:54:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fyi,
I have requested a copy of the 1942 probate records after Daniel Johannes Danielssen Strømme. The answer might take a couple of weeks, and will be provided by snail mail. Not sure if it will provide any new info, but its worth a try.
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2013 :  02:48:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Having those records for Daniel Danielson will be excellent, await the day of arrival.

There is a special website of just New York newspapers online searchable. It makes my computer hiccup but perhaps some one else on forum could visit and see if there are any stories about "killed by train" in or near Buffalo, New York between 1900-1918.

http://www.fultonhistory.com/Fulton.html

Jane usually does a better job with summaries than do I but here is a summary of the starting information about Cristian Tompson and other facts generated on forum:

Cristian
Tompson
Born abt 1883
Born Norway
Born Lauden Vordner
Last name changed from Tromm to Tompson
Died on or about 20 Jan 1920 at sea
1911 timber /lumber work,
1914-1918 artillerist
1920 2nd engineer on fishing vessel
Have photo of Cristian with 7 children taken about 1917-1918
Ramsgate is on the Isle of Thanet.

Information generated on forum
Married 3 July 1903 Ramsgate, Kent, England
Father’s name: Donald Tompson
Father’s occupation: carpenter
Age at marriage: 20
Birthplace Walden
Eldest daughter’s full name Rose Malinda Joanna Tompson
Eldest son’s name Thomas A.D. Tompson (don’t know yet what the D stands for)

If anyone has a correction to this, drop me an email and I will correct this summary. I fear this topic has gotten so large that everybody is finding it impossible to get their arms around it. (At least I know I am, since I'd forgotten about my own post of the Kristian Strommen 18 year old sailor in English waters census listing once before)

Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2013 :  11:00:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Lauden Vordner" is a mystery. Was it an oral expression?
Go to Top of Page

jungfigh

Malta
326 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2013 :  12:08:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No Jan Peter,

... It was written by my Aunt Marge, which I actually saw. Her translation...of which she was told..? goodness knows.

I never questioned her with regard to Cristian.

My wife Lyn has asked me did all the children ( with the exception of Chrissie who died of tuberculosis when I was very young) talk about their Father..? No..! It wasn't the things I was told or even comprehended as a youngster.

DL. ;o) Malta. G.C.
Go to Top of Page

jungfigh

Malta
326 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2013 :  12:13:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jwiborg

quote:
Originally posted by jkmarler

His last name was changed from Tromm to Tompson. Perhaps it was changed from "Strommen" to Tromm to Tompson. In Norway the most common spelling of Strommen would be Strømmen. Here is Kristian Strommen onboard vessel b. 1883:

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XSF3-3D5

That is a really good finding. I had totally missed this one.

A truly exciting find.

Cristian aboard Rapid. A link I could possibly follow...Thank-you all.

DL. ;o) Malta. G.C.
Go to Top of Page

jungfigh

Malta
326 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2013 :  12:16:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I started this Inquiry,

I didn't appreciate it was like 'Opening Pandora's Box'.

I have learned a lot.

DL. ;o) Malta. G.C.
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2013 :  15:38:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If the answer reg. the probate after Daniel Danielsen Strømme is negative there is perhaps a 2. chance.

A probate register after his wife Johanne Gurine Annaniasdatter Strømme.
She was born on farm Amelfotsæter and died of disease on Kile August 17. 1900, see down page #15

Woodworker and Carpenter Daniel Strømme married Synnøve (Henriksdatter Bjørdal) Mai 27. 1901, and because of that perhaps a probate record was set up.
See farm Øren 1910

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 10/12/2013 15:44:32
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2013 :  16:00:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another remote possibility is Kristianne Elinse Sjursdatter, Kristian Elias' grandmother, farmor. She was born in 1829 and died at 93 on 24 Oct 1922 according to the Volda-soga & family tree posted this topic.

Daniel's widow Synneve died in 1943 as I recall.

Also there are variations in spelling Strømme, as Daniel's burial record at DIS Gravminner carries the last name as Straume.

Edited by - jkmarler on 10/12/2013 16:23:08
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2013 :  16:59:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Straume was used on Strømme 1910.
Strømme/Straume means stream.
The location is where the narrow Kilspollen and "Straumselva" (Straum-river) flows into Voldsfjord/Austefjord.

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 11/12/2013 23:55:41
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2013 :  17:33:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kåarto

If the answer reg. the probate after Daniel Danielsen Strømme is negative there is perhaps a 2. chance.

A probate register after his wife Johanne Gurine Annaniasdatter Strømme.
She was born on farm Amelfotsæter and died of disease on Kile August 17. 1900, see down page #15

Woodworker and Carpenter Daniel Strømme married Synnøve (Henriksdatter Bjørdal) Mai 27. 1901, and because of that perhaps a probate record was set up.
See farm Øren 1910

Kåre

I don't think there would be a probate register if the husband/estate owner is still alive?
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2013 :  17:50:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In the case of my great great grandmother who owned nothing really, there was a dødsfallprotokol for her and her husband survived her....
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2013 :  18:10:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A dødsfallprotokoll could be available for his wife. Unfortunately, I did not request that for her. I'm not sure if that would add any news to the search. Kristian would be only 17 y.o., and the best we could possibly hope for, would be that he was listed as a seaman...?
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2013 :  18:23:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jkmarler

On Saturday I had a look at the original record of Kristian Strommen 1901 census listing and Ole Pulers in 1911.

This Kristian is one of only 5 or 6 crew, is given the status of AB which I think might mean "Able bodied" and the ship he was one was the Rapide of Shoreham. But the last name did look like Strommen rather than Stromme or Strommer.

Ole Pulers was indexed in Ancestry as M Pulers and the town is written in a fashion which to me looked like Wolden rather than Walden. The schedule at the top also said that it was taken in Scotland.

Ole Pulers was indexed in 1911 census. again, from jkmarler:
Most interesting is this fellow Ole Pulers b. Walden, Norway living in Kent, England in 1901 1911 my bad:
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XWDD-HXP

About the fultonhistory website: I'll try to find a moment to search it at a different location (library maybe?). Makes my computer hiccup too, Jackie. I have searched Chronicling America, as you have too, looking for the train accident circa 1918 +- 2 years in possibly "Buffalo."

Cristian's son Thomas Alfred D. Thompson (working from memory, think that was his name) - do you know, Derek, what the "D" stood for?

On marriage record for Cristian Tompson 1903, he was living same street as bride Maude and presumably same as Thomas Fast, her father? Both Thomas and Cristian are listed as fishermen on that record, as I recall. Could they have worked together? In other words, if you have a paper trail for Thomas Fast occupation, could it help in locating Cristian before his marriage? My understanding is that Cristian's marriage record is his first solid, proven appearance in the findings to date. A long shot, I know...

About the recollection on the part of Kristian Elias niece that one of her uncles lived in the Orkney islands or the Shetland islands, there's an island tucked up next to Ramsgate with a name similar to Shetland (kind of) - Sheppey Island.

Really a stretch, but realize that people's statements about place names and other family history facts can be "close but no cigar." Yesterday I got an email from a family member referring to "Ole mor." Well, I knew who she meant, but.... Derek himself was surprised by the death record of Maude Fast Tompson, as she had died at a later date than he recalled. Hey, it happens to all of us.

Point being, possibly the mystery of Cristian is the result of a series of unfortunate misstatements.

Edited by - JaneC on 10/12/2013 19:27:57
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2013 :  19:18:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What was the occupation for "Ole Pulers"? Any chance of locating a birth date for him in the Uk?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 54 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article