All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Christain Tromm
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 54

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2013 :  19:19:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jwiborg

A dødsfallprotokoll could be available for his wife. Unfortunately, I did not request that for her. I'm not sure if that would add any news to the search. Kristian would be only 17 y.o., and the best we could possibly hope for, would be that he was listed as a seaman...?

The reason for getting her record is to find Kristian in a location. He is not in the 1900 Norwegian census, nor the special sailors schedule, where was he England, US or at sea?
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2013 :  19:34:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[Back in an edit with jkmarler cx]

Oh I thought it would be really helpful if a dødsfallprotokoll were found for Kristian Elias's mother who died 1900 - as Jackie says - as it might tell his location at that point. Some other candidates have been suggested for Cristian; locating Kristian Elias after 1900 might help rule him in or out as a candidate for Cristian.

Another family member who died was Kristian Elias's brother Daniel, in 1898.

Edited by - JaneC on 10/12/2013 20:06:16
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2013 :  19:36:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
First name Ole, born 1875 in Volda:

#47 Ole Johannes
Born 22 May 1875
Christening 20 Jun 1875, Volda, Møre og Romsdal, Norway
Parents: Blacksmith Peder Olssen Steinsvik b.1844 & Ingeborg Eline Olsdtr b. 1844, m. 1871

Census-1900 list Ole Pedersen as a blacksmith for the Port Authorities in Volda.

The reason I find him interesting is that "Pulers" could be "Peders", and that he is working for the Port Authorities.
The descendant after Alfred said that most men in his family worked as carpenters for the Port Authorities in Volda.

Edited by - jwiborg on 10/12/2013 19:37:46
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2013 :  19:41:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
But he is a farmer i Volda in 1910...
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2013 :  19:53:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JaneC

Oh I thought it would be really helpful if a dødsfallprotokoll were found for Kristian Elias's mother who died 1900 - as Jackie says - as it might tell his location at that point and/or location of Ananais Johannes. This family has two brothers AWOL in 1900 and thereafter and it could mean something if the forum could fill in that gap. Some other candidates have been suggested for Cristian; locating these two brothers after 1900 might help rule Kristian Elias in or out as a candidate for Cristian.

Another family member who died was Kristian Elias's brother Daniel, in 1898.

No link to it but Annanias was living with Daniel and family in 1900 with occupation as sømand / sailor.
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2013 :  09:45:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If an error is repeated.........

A Norwegian familytree, family nr 625, "Simon Pedersen Storebotnen" on "home.online.no" that I do not get opened because my keyboard has an error has the same info;
Ananias b. 1880 em. to England
Kristian b. 1882 em. to USA.

Kristian was confirmated Oct. 9. 1898 as Kristian Elias Danielsen and em. before 1900
Ananias em. between 1900 and 1910.

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 11/12/2013 13:10:26
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2013 :  10:46:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kåarto

If an error is repeated.........

A Norwegian familytree "Simon Pedersen Storebotnen" on "home.online.no" that I do not get opened because my keyboard has an error has the same info;
Ananias b. 1880 em. to England
Kristian b. 1882 em. to USA.

Kristian em. before 1900
Ananias em. between 1900 and 1910.

Kåre

I was in contact with him one month ago. His source was the book "Busetnadssoga for Volda, band 2 Folkestad, Kilsfjorden, Bjørkedalen".
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2013 :  12:38:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You were.
It`s not seldom that errors appears in Bygdebøker.
Some few have corrections in separate booklets. others have posted corrections dierctly on the web.
I`m more and more comfortable with that we have the right Christan, and are exited about what responce you will get Jan Peter.

The protocol for general probates are publicly avalable, "Skifteloven" Administration of Estates § 78

Kåre
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2013 :  12:56:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Heartened to read....

Okay, here's what's in my gut. If Walden = Volda parish, then the only man Cristian Tompson could be would be Kristian Elias Danielsen Strømme.

There is no place, no village, no hamlet, no municipality, no region, no parish, no fylke called Walden in Norway today. There are a couple of close equivalents in sound and spelling but nothing exactly like that. Ws are very seldom found as the beginning letter in Norwegian words. They were used more frequently in the past, I think, but gradually the language and tongue have evolved to rely on V to do the same duty as the letters W and V do in English. Yet a handful of Norwegians elsewhere than Norway have given Walden as their place of origin. And no Norwegians in 1865, 1900, 1910 censuses give their origin as Walden. So there is something different going on away from home
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2013 :  13:18:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And Volden municipality changed to Volda 1928.

Kåre
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2013 :  16:57:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One reason that neither Ananias or Kristian is reg. in the emigration protocols is perhaps they both were sailors.
During the period 1870-1900 Norwegian authorities assumes that approximately 40 000 sailors left their Norwegian ships abroad and ca 20 000 returned home after some years.

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 11/12/2013 16:58:18
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2013 :  18:04:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Where would / who would have the sailor rolls for Volda or Sunnmøre?
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2013 :  21:17:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not sure where to look, but the Norwegian 1900 census for shipping/fishing contains 25.865 sailors/fishermen on 2628 ships.
No traces of those we are looking for link

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 11/12/2013 21:21:37
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2013 :  22:15:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't mean to interrupt the important question about the sailor rolls but have a quick question or two for Derek,

Cristian had a son Thomas A. D. Thompson; do you know his full name? Especially what did the "D" stand for? I found a record I didn't keep for "Thomas Alfred D Thompson"...Also might be helpful if the researchers knew what are the full names of all Cristian's children and how does Cristian's name appear on their birth, marriage, and death records - IF you have that info. Not trying to pester you.

In 1883 Ørsta was separated from Volden to form its own municipality (per Wikipedia). Present-day Volden is south of Ørsta. Could Lauden = Sønder, or similar?

Edited by - JaneC on 12/12/2013 00:03:33
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2013 :  00:15:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You are right.
Strømme is across the two fjords Volds-/Austefjorden from Volda.

Lauden is not a Norwegian place, farm, name etc.
The closest I can get is Laudalen (Leaf valley).
Lauden is most likely written down for what she heard or rememberd, or am I wrong?
Enter the map and spell "Straume, Volda"
There is no Laudalen to my knowledge nearby Strømme and I do not want to led anyone into a dead end.
Lauden make no sence to me.

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 12/12/2013 00:33:21
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 54 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article