All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Christain Tromm
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 54

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2013 :  11:17:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sunnmmørsdialect (with many variations) spoken on Sunnmøre is quite different from "Bokmål" which I speak.
In Volda they speak a variasion of Nynorsk with its own local varity.
Because of that some words can be difficult or almost impossible to understand for somone who is not from there.

Pehaps if a person from Volda read this the answer is (....Lauden it means.....)

Kåre

Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2013 :  14:14:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kåre, would dialect differences also explain the spelling differences between Strømme and Straume?

(This reminds of one of my favortie stories. Did you know that Norwegians today are fluent in 8 languages? No what are they? Well 7 of them are Norwegian!)

Edited by - jkmarler on 12/12/2013 14:25:36
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2013 :  16:22:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It`s a wealth of dialects in Norway, almost as many as there are people living here
In Kongsberg municipality (one of 428 munic.) where I live it is as least 5 dialects with small local variations in addition.
Maybe the owners of Strømme after 1900 returned to the origin name Straum that was used in 1540.

Nynorsk "New Norwegian" became official languge 1885 but until 1928 it was called "Landsmål"

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 12/12/2013 16:29:45
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2013 :  21:28:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's very interesting. Thanks! Still no Ananais.

Edited by - JaneC on 13/12/2013 12:44:33
Go to Top of Page

jungfigh

Malta
326 Posts

Posted - 13/12/2013 :  06:36:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JaneC

Don't mean to interrupt the important question about the sailor rolls but have a quick question or two for Derek,

Cristian had a son Thomas A. D. Thompson; do you know his full name? Especially what did the "D" stand for? I found a record I didn't keep for "Thomas Alfred D Thompson"...Also might be helpful if the researchers knew what are the full names of all Cristian's children and how does Cristian's name appear on their birth, marriage, and death records - IF you have that info. Not trying to pester you.

In 1883 Ørsta was separated from Volden to form its own municipality (per Wikipedia). Present-day Volden is south of Ørsta. Could Lauden = Sønder, or similar?

Sorry Jane I don't have this information to hand. I only knew the boys as Uncle Tom & Uncle Frank. I will apply for their certs to qualify your question.
I would like to thank-you all for your continuing 'sterling' work over the past days. I've had pesky PC problems...marvellous pieces of technology but Soooo! frustrating when they fail.

DL. ;o) Malta. G.C.
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 13/12/2013 :  08:49:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just a thought.

Perhaps D stands for Daniel after Daniel Danielsen Strømme.
Thomas Alfred Daniel Thompson?

Kåre
Go to Top of Page

jungfigh

Malta
326 Posts

Posted - 14/12/2013 :  08:33:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kåarto

Just a thought.

Perhaps D stands for Daniel after Daniel Danielsen Strømme.
Thomas Alfred Daniel Thompson?

Kåre

Good morning Kåre,

I have a v-e-r-y distant relative who may just know this...fingers crossed.

DL. ;o) Malta. G.C.

Edited by - jungfigh on 14/12/2013 08:34:47
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 16/12/2013 :  01:03:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just in case Walden doesn't equal Volda, here are the locations of 6 farms called "Valden" in the 1900 Norwegian census. There were no Kristians found among the people on the farms but ....

Valden (2 of them) Strands, Rogaland
Valden 1 in Vanse, Vest Agder
Valden 1 in Dybvaag, Aust Agder
Valden 1 in Dovre, Oppland
Valden 1 in Vaage, Oppland
Go to Top of Page

jungfigh

Malta
326 Posts

Posted - 16/12/2013 :  06:24:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank-you Jackie for your continuing research.

I'm still chasing 'loose' ends this end..!

DL. ;o) Malta. G.C.
Go to Top of Page

jungfigh

Malta
326 Posts

Posted - 17/12/2013 :  10:03:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jkmarler

Heartened to read....

Okay, here's what's in my gut. If Walden = Volda parish, then the only man Cristian Tompson could be would be Kristian Elias Danielsen Strømme.

There is no place, no village, no hamlet, no municipality, no region, no parish, no fylke called Walden in Norway today. There are a couple of close equivalents in sound and spelling but nothing exactly like that. Ws are very seldom found as the beginning letter in Norwegian words. They were used more frequently in the past, I think, but gradually the language and tongue have evolved to rely on V to do the same duty as the letters W and V do in English. Yet a handful of Norwegians elsewhere than Norway have given Walden as their place of origin. And no Norwegians in 1865, 1900, 1910 censuses give their origin as Walden. So there is something different going on away from home

Good morning Jackie,

Would you know where (Norwegian address) I could apply for a hard copy of the birth certificate for Kristian Elias Danielsen Strømme.?

DL. ;o) Malta. G.C.
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 17/12/2013 :  12:39:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Derek, use the printing feature on the page of the birth / baptism record below. The PDF 2 page feature will give you the basic information re the dates and names as well as the people who were godparents in large enough size to read:

Source information: Møre og Romsdal county, Volda in Volda, Parish register copy nr. 511C03 (1864-1884), Birth and baptism records 1882, page 298.
Permanent pagelink: http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=15961&idx_id=15961&uid=ny&idx_side=-269

Edited by - jkmarler on 17/12/2013 12:48:17
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 17/12/2013 :  12:41:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The church books for Volda, Møre og Romsdal are kept in The Regional State Archives in Trondheim

Perhaps they aslo have records for seaman/fishermen from Volda.
Worth a try to send them a request.

Kristian Elias Danielsens bap. record is online, see #49

He must have left Norway between Oct. 9. 1898 when he was confirmated #39 and 1900

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 17/12/2013 13:00:23
Go to Top of Page

jungfigh

Malta
326 Posts

Posted - 17/12/2013 :  17:18:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jkmarler

Derek, use the printing feature on the page of the birth / baptism record below. The PDF 2 page feature will give you the basic information re the dates and names as well as the people who were godparents in large enough size to read:

Source information: Møre og Romsdal county, Volda in Volda, Parish register copy nr. 511C03 (1864-1884), Birth and baptism records 1882, page 298.
Permanent pagelink: http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=15961&idx_id=15961&uid=ny&idx_side=-269

Thank-you Jackie, you too Kåre.

DL. ;o) Malta. G.C.

Edited by - jungfigh on 17/12/2013 17:19:32
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 18/12/2013 :  22:15:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A short update regarding the probate record for Daniel Johannes Danielssen Strømme.
I also sent a new request later for a copy of the death protocol for his first wife. The reply on that was that it only said that Johanne Gurine left 8 children behind, of which 7 were minors. No name, age or residence for them. They could not find any probate register for her between 1900-1912.

The papers from 1942 (Daniels death) will be sent by snail mail, and I will probably not receive it before I leave for xmas vacation. A short summary was that 5 children were listed as heirs after Daniel, and Kristian was not among those 5. I did not receive any other details in the email, so we'll have to wait and see what it says.
Go to Top of Page

jungfigh

Malta
326 Posts

Posted - 19/12/2013 :  05:55:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank-you for your continuing research Jan Peter.

I am still awaiting inquiries from the Royal Marine Museum, Portsmouth, for information on Private Royal Mariner (Royal Marine) Donald Thompson, born Scotland, aged 22, recorded in the 1871 UK census. Based at Marine Barracks, Deal, Kent .

I keep being drawn back to this man as being Cristian's father. Sometimes 'gut' feelings are real..!

DL. ;o) Malta. G.C.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 54 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article