All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Christain Tromm
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 54

jungfigh

Malta
326 Posts

Posted - 21/12/2013 :  06:09:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Over the past couple of days I have searched each page, twice, making notes where necessary...so many leads which appear to have been searched, but, nothing definitive (as yet) on the enigma who was Cristian Thomson. Can any of you superb contributors suggest any other routes..? Please..!

DL. ;o) Malta. G.C.
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 21/12/2013 :  15:21:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Derek, we're busy with Christmas doings here so I won't stop long to chat, but know we're hoping Cristian's identity can be solidly established in this coming year! with all good wishes of the season, Jane

Edited by - JaneC on 21/12/2013 21:38:58
Go to Top of Page

jungfigh

Malta
326 Posts

Posted - 21/12/2013 :  18:17:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank-you Jane.

The blessings of the season be upon you and your family.

DL. ;o) Malta. G.C.
Go to Top of Page

jungfigh

Malta
326 Posts

Posted - 24/12/2013 :  14:21:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank-you all for your sterling efforts in more than assisting me to establish my maternal grandfather's Cristian Tompson's lineage.

A very Merry Christmas to you wherever you may be.

Sincerely.

Derek. Malta. G.C.

DL. ;o) Malta. G.C.
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 24/12/2013 :  16:29:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We will have a green Christmas in Southern Norway, very seldom.
"God Jul"
Merry Christmas Derek.

Kåre
Go to Top of Page

jungfigh

Malta
326 Posts

Posted - 24/12/2013 :  19:20:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank-you Kåre

DL. ;o) Malta. G.C.
Go to Top of Page

jungfigh

Malta
326 Posts

Posted - 27/12/2013 :  06:32:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have managed to speak with Frank Tomson, my cousin, Son of Frank, Cristian & Maud's last child. Frank tells me he has some items which may shed more light on Cristian''s antecedents. I will be telephoning Frank this Saturday,and of course pass any new information on. I will also invite Frank to join Norway-Hertage...a new outlook..?

DL. ;o) Malta. G.C.

Edited by - jungfigh on 27/12/2013 12:27:51
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 27/12/2013 :  17:42:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fingers crossed!

A broad canvassing of any/all descendants could find yet more. Someone might have a clue, such as a photo you don't have, marked "Cristian and his brother Ananais of Buffalo, New York" or a manuscript titled, "My Life and Times" by Cristian Tompson, lol. More descendants of Daniel Stromme should probably also be found and queried. As for Donald Thompson of Scotland, I found the 1871 census to which you referred, but following him from there was a little confusing. Have you tracked him?

Edited by - JaneC on 27/12/2013 17:42:55
Go to Top of Page

David Yaw
Medium member

United Kingdom
128 Posts

Posted - 27/12/2013 :  17:56:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Derek, I don't know if the Community hands out any prizes at this festive time of year, but if they do, it seems to me Cristian and you deserve one for this topic being the fastest to reach 400 posts !!!

With best wishes for 2014 to all contributors on this - and indeed other threads. Let's hope somehow e can tie him down definitively.
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 27/12/2013 :  18:04:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jungfigh

I have managed to speak with Frank Tomson, my cousin, Son of Frank, Cristian & Maud's last child. Frank tells me he has some items which may shed more light on Cristian''s antecedents. I will be telephoning Frank this Saturday,and of course pass any new information on. I will also invite Frank to join Norway-Hertage...a new outlook..?

If he joins you might want to give him a synopsis of the 27 pages--it might be too scary to read it all on his own!

But it will be good to see what other documents and memories he might bring to the mix.
Go to Top of Page

jungfigh

Malta
326 Posts

Posted - 27/12/2013 :  21:41:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank-you David and Jackie. I do hope our conversation(s) are enlightening.

DL. ;o) Malta. G.C.
Go to Top of Page

jungfigh

Malta
326 Posts

Posted - 29/12/2013 :  11:10:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JaneC

Don't mean to interrupt the important question about the sailor rolls but have a quick question or two for Derek,

Cristian had a son Thomas A. D. Thompson; do you know his full name? Especially what did the "D" stand for? I found a record I didn't keep for "Thomas Alfred D Thompson"...Also might be helpful if the researchers knew what are the full names of all Cristian's children and how does Cristian's name appear on their birth, marriage, and death records - IF you have that info. Not trying to pester you.

In 1883 Ørsta was separated from Volden to form its own municipality (per Wikipedia). Present-day Volden is south of Ørsta. Could Lauden = Sønder, or similar?

Good morning Jane: In answer to your query, Uncles name was Thomas Alfred DANIEL Tompson. His death certificate shews he was born 3rd November, 1912. Ramsgate, Kent. Died 13th October,1990. Broadstairs, Kent.( Broadstairs is a smaller town situated on the coast about 4 miles North of Ramsgate. Charles Dickens lived and wrote there for a time).

It is interesting to note that all the siblings surnames were shewn thus: TOMSON with the exception of my mother Daisy and her elder sister Marjorie. Their surnames were shewn as THOMPSON...where...why...whom changed the Family name to a different spelling..?

I spoke at length with cousin Frank yesterday: Of course mainly regarding Cristian.

Frank tells me he has ploughed through all the pages on the site with regard Cristian and finds it extremely fascinating. I invited Frank to join in with us and he said he would.

I look forward to you sharing your information with us cousin Frank.

DL. ;o) Malta. G.C.

Edited by - jungfigh on 29/12/2013 11:19:45
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 29/12/2013 :  14:20:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
DANIEL!! YES!!!
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 29/12/2013 :  14:39:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jwiborg

Jan Peter

Great news about Frank!

The name "Daniel" in Thomas Alfred Daniel Tompson is almost a smoking gun - it is more circumstantial evidence that Cristian = Kristian Elias, the son of Daniel.

It is very exciting to hear that.

It is earlier suggested by a descendant that the information supplied TO the Volda book author FROM the family of Kristian Elias appears in the Volda book flip-flopped. One brother went to the USA, one to England. All the family members have been found in Norway, except Kristian and Ananais, so it is only these two who can be flip-flopped. Thus it is reasonable to hypothesize that it was the brother Kristian went to Norway. I'm sorry we haven't been able to prove that, but it stands as a reasonable hypothesis (we haven't disproved it either, though we tried).

The brother Kristian who went to England, a guy with a father named Daniel Strømme from Volden, born same time as your Cristian Tomson from Walden, DIED ON A FISHING BOAT in about 1920.

And bearing in mind that your Cristian did not write his own name on that marriage certificate (someone else spelled his name, as the handwriting is the same throughout), and names get Angelicized, and C = K, and V = W, routinely. [Back in an edit to note Jackie disagrees about Cristian's signature.]

So make that: the brother Kristian Strømme who went to England, a guy with a father Daniel Strømme from Volden, born about same time as your Kristian Tomson from Valden with a father Donald/Daniel and a son definitely Daniel, DIED ON A FISHING BOAT in about 1920.

All this is a striking coincidence!

Edited by - JaneC on 29/12/2013 15:52:16
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 29/12/2013 :  15:23:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JaneC
[About the spelling "Tompson." I think the marriage record for Cristian is the first KNOWN sighting of him in the UK (or anywhere). Is that right? (We have a candidate to be Kristian as a sailor from Norway in the UK.)

On the marriage record shown, Cristian's name is given as Tompson. Clearly he did NOT sign this record - all the handwriting, throughout, is in the same hand. Highly likely that a clerk or pastor or similar third party wrote down the information that was spoken. Perhaps Cristian did not see or proofread the document, or perhaps he did and did not object or correct it, or perhaps Cristian was not literate or not highly literate.

When we find Cristian had a son named Thomas Alfred DANIEL, Think about it.

Well, I'm just pumped about the Daniel. So we have the first girl Rose Malinda Joanne with a name that reminds of Johanne Annanaisdatter, Kristian Elias' mom, and now we have Thomas Alfred Daniel the first boy in the family with a name that reminds of Daniel Danielson, Kristian Elias' dad. This is a custom used for many hundreds of years in Norway, more or less loosely or religiously followed, depending on the area and the folk employing.

But I have to disagree with Jane's assessment of the handwriting in the marriage record. I see 6 hands writing it and Cristian's own signature. If you look at the upper lines wherein the information lies take a look at the capital C in Cristian and the capital T in Tompson and the same letters in the lower signature--they are very different. The pastor's signature is wholly illegible but different from the hand filling in the information, etc. So the two marrying parties signed, each of 2 witnesses signed, the pastor signed, and the clerk who wrote the information didn't sign but showed up doing the job.

Also David Yaw pointed out that Cristian (or maybe Maude?) likely filled out his own 1911 census form--apparently this was the norm. I had occasion to look at the original (online at Ancestry) some time ago and the form had a few corrections and blots as I recall, perhaps written by someone more used to doing something else than writing with a dip pen.

As for spelling of Cristian's name, even in Norway there are many variations in the rendering, regardless of what things an individual might do to their own name. (When I selected for names containing "rist" in my harvesting the reason to do that was there were many different beginnings and endings for that name, the most common are Christian & Kristian but lots of variety otherwise.)

Personal experience-wise, when I was taught to endorse a check, Mom always said to write my endorsement exactly as the name appears in the "Pay to" on the check--to remove any doubt the cashier might have had.

So there stands Cristian, who probably has written his name as Kristian (like his baptismal) seeing it on a form in English and maybe not being able to understand the written word, writes it, in his own hand, as the person who filled in the information, thus starting a trend.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 54 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article