All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Christain Tromm
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 54

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 13/09/2013 :  23:30:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Christian/Kristian Thomassen/Thomesen/Thomsen born Norway ca. 1883.

- April 29. 1883. Bremnes parish, Møre and Romsdal county. Parents; Kristian Thomassen and Barbro Kristiansdatter
- August 24.1883. Kristiansand town, Vest-Agder county. Parents; Ole Thomassen and Lovise Emilie Rosanowsky
- Oct. 12. 1884. Ringebu parish, Oppland county. Parenst; Torsten Tomassen and Kristine Iversdatter
- March 24. 1881. Bremnes parish, Møre and Romsdal county. Parents; Henning Thomassen and Ingeborg Johanna Elida Kramer
- July 23. 1882 Halden town, Østfold county. Parents; Thomas Marinius Bernhard Thomesen and Trine Amalia Harby
- Oct. 18. 1881 Fjell parish, Hordaland county. Parents; Iver Thomassen and Martha Olsdatter
- Dec. 2. 1884 Austre Moland parish, Vest-Agder county. Parents; Hans Kristian Thomsen and Benedikte Gurine Johannesen
- Oct. 20. 1881 Tomter parish, Østfold county. Parents; Thorvald Thomassen and Tale Sørensdatter
- Sept. 15. 1885 Oslo. Parents; Rasmus Thomsen and Johanne Conradsen

Kåre
-
Go to Top of Page

jungfigh

Malta
326 Posts

Posted - 14/09/2013 :  08:09:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My Auntie Marge (the 4th of Maud's daughter's) had it documented as such in an old journal, like my Aunt, long gone, unfortunately no date of his birth. She also had written down that Grandfather hailed from Lauden Vordner. Norway. I believe there is no such place.

DL. ;o) Malta. G.C.
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 14/09/2013 :  09:22:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You are right, there is no place in Norway by that name, so there are two possibilities; either you have read it wrong, or your Aunt have written it down as it sounded or how she remembered it orally.

Are you absolutely sure it says "Lauden Vordner", or is there room for interpretation of your Aunt's handwriting? Could you provide a scan of the text?

Jan Peter

Edited by - jwiborg on 14/09/2013 09:24:09
Go to Top of Page

jungfigh

Malta
326 Posts

Posted - 14/09/2013 :  09:44:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kåarto

Christian/Kristian Thomassen/Thomesen/Thomsen born Norway ca. 1883.

- April 29. 1883. Bremnes parish, Møre and Romsdal county. Parents; Kristian Thomassen and Barbro Kristiansdatter
- August 24.1883. Kristiansand town, Vest-Agder county. Parents; Ole Thomassen and Lovise Emilie Rosanowsky
- Oct. 12. 1884. Ringebu parish, Oppland county. Parenst; Torsten Tomassen and Kristine Iversdatter
- March 24. 1881. Bremnes parish, Møre and Romsdal county. Parents; Henning Thomassen and Ingeborg Johanna Elida Kramer
- July 23. 1882 Halden town, Østfold county. Parents; Thomas Marinius Bernhard Thomesen and Trine Amalia Harby
- Oct. 18. 1881 Fjell parish, Hordaland county. Parents; Iver Thomassen and Martha Olsdatter
- Dec. 2. 1884 Austre Moland parish, Vest-Agder county. Parents; Hans Kristian Thomsen and Benedikte Gurine Johannesen
- Oct. 20. 1881 Tomter parish, Østfold county. Parents; Thorvald Thomassen and Tale Sørensdatter
- Sept. 15. 1885 Oslo. Parents; Rasmus Thomsen and Johanne Conradsen

Kåre
-

Thank-you very much Kåre an absolute mine of information. I hope when I manage to trace some definite information this end one will match.
I am, yours sincerely, Derek.

DL. ;o) Malta. G.C.
Go to Top of Page

jungfigh

Malta
326 Posts

Posted - 14/09/2013 :  09:50:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jwiborg

You are right, there is no place in Norway by that name, so there are two possibilities; either you have read it wrong, or your Aunt have written it down as it sounded or how she remembered it orally.

Are you absolutely sure it says "Lauden Vordner", or is there room for interpretation of your Aunt's handwriting? Could you provide a scan of the text?

Jan Peter

Sorry Jan Peter, as said, the journal of my Aunt went missing. On her death I managed her estate If I had come across such a mine of information I would have kept it. The two possibilities you mentioned: Could you let me have them and I will attempt a trace from this end. I cannot impinge on your hospitality. Everything people from Norway have sent is proving invaluable. I again Thank-You all.

I remain, yours sincerely,
Derek.

DL. ;o) Malta. G.C.
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 14/09/2013 :  10:04:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jungfigh

Sorry Jan Peter, as said, the journal of my Aunt went missing. On her death I managed her estate If I had come across such a mine of information I would have kept it. The two possibilities you mentioned: Could you let me have them and I will attempt a trace from this end. I cannot impinge on your hospitality. Everything people from Norway have sent is proving invaluable. I again Thank-You all.

Derek.

I think you already have the two possibilities I mentioned...
Possibility 1: Did you read the place "Lauden Vordner" correct from your Aunts journal, or could it read something else?
Possibility 2: Your Aunt wrote down his hometown as it sounded or how she remembered it orally.

I can't come up with a place in Norway that sounds like "Lauden Vordner", so some characters must be wrong.

laardal
lardal
larvig
larvik
laudal
laurdal
laurvig
laurvik
lavik
lunder
lyster
lærdal
lærdalsøren
lørenskogen
løvdal

Jan Peter

Edited by - jwiborg on 14/09/2013 10:14:26
Go to Top of Page

jungfigh

Malta
326 Posts

Posted - 14/09/2013 :  10:28:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry again Jan Peter.

I remember it as written when my Auntie Marge shewed me the Journal. Perhaps it was lost in translation by Auntie.

I recall telephoning the Norwegian Embassy in London at the time, some 30 years ago when I worked in the Capital, with that given name...obviously it came up negative. (well before the time of PC's and this wonderful World Wide Web).

I've 'the bit between my teeth' now and time is no problem,... usually. I am determined to get to the bottom of this conundrum.

Derek. ;o)

DL. ;o) Malta. G.C.
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 14/09/2013 :  11:10:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Any chance you could locate their marriage certificate? Any idea of where and when they could have married?

Jan Peter

Edited by - jwiborg on 14/09/2013 11:13:12
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 14/09/2013 :  11:38:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Derek, what about your gran? Did she remarry? Where did she live? Do you have a copy of her obituary or other documents about her??

The clothing she's wearing in the picture looks to be mid to late 19 teens (Belle epoque). Do you have any pictures of her and her children?

Were there only 2 children--your parent and sister Chrissie or were there more? What do you know about them, like the place where they were born, where they lived, that sort of thing?

Sorry, so many questions...
Go to Top of Page

jungfigh

Malta
326 Posts

Posted - 14/09/2013 :  12:07:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jwiborg

Any chance you could locate their marriage certificate? Any idea of where and when they could have married?

Jan Peter

That is in hand Jan Peter. Of course any results will be published here.
Sincerely, Derek. ;o)

DL. ;o) Malta. G.C.
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 14/09/2013 :  12:08:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Long shot on the name of the place. What if the v is a non-speakers attempt to deal with fj?

The list of name places in my KNA Kart- og Reise- Handbok
(sorry no date) has this "Loddefjord." I haven't actually found it on the map but the general location given for it locates it somewhere near Bergen but south of Bergen, by Sund, Fana, and Os....

In the 1900 Norwegian census there are 8 farms called Loddefjord in Askøen.

Here's what familysearch says about Loddefjord:
"Microfilm of parish registers available at the Family History Library for Laksevåg clerical district. Contains the parish registers of Laksevåg and Loddefjord parishes. They were separated from Askøy clerical district in 1915. For earlier records see Askøy and Fjell clerical districts. Records available from 1875-1926. "

Wikipedia describes Loddefjord as a suburb of Bergen.

Edited by - jkmarler on 14/09/2013 13:20:50
Go to Top of Page

jungfigh

Malta
326 Posts

Posted - 14/09/2013 :  12:18:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jkmarler

Derek, what about your gran? Did she remarry? Where did she live? Do you have a copy of her obituary or other documents about her??

The clothing she's wearing in the picture looks to be mid to late 19 teens (Belle epoque). Do you have any pictures of her and her children?

Were there only 2 children--your parent and sister Chrissie or were there more? What do you know about them, like the place where they were born, where they lived, that sort of thing?

Sorry, so many questions...

Needing so many answers: Yes I have a photograph of Maud, similar to the one already posted. She is on her own. Also a photograph of Christain/Christian/Christine (Thompson) at the head of his entire family, 5 girls & 2 boys (minus Maud). My Mother has written on the back 'Father with...' and then goes on to name all. No date but Grandfather was dressed in a British Army uniform. From that I assume that it was taken probably toward the end of WW1. All the children (7) were born before then.
I am not too good at 'posting' photographs, but, bear with me I will attempt this evolution.

Sincerely, Derek. Malta. G.C.

DL. ;o) Malta. G.C.
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 14/09/2013 :  13:15:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lauden Vordne
To translate from Norwegian to English is not easy nor to attemt to understand the origin since the pronunciation of the Englsh and Norwegian alphabet is quite different.

I have listened to Norskklassen and twisted my ears

Worth a try.
Lauden ?? Lodalen?? - dalen means valley - Lovalley.
There are several Lodalen in Norway.

Vordner is a hard nut to crack at this point

If we could solve one of the names the solution is perhaps "Stumling close" (A Norwegian saying)

Kåre
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 14/09/2013 :  13:27:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kåarto

Lauden Vordne
"Stumling close" (A Norwegian saying)
Kåre

You mean we might stumble & fall into it?
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 14/09/2013 :  13:31:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jungfigh

That is in hand Jan Peter. Of course any results will be published here.
Sincerely, Derek. ;o)

The reason I am asking over and over about where and when they could have married, is for you to put it up here, so that others might help you trying to locate it, while you do your own investigation.

=> If you have a likely timeframe about when they could have married, you should put it up here.
=> If you have a qualified guess about where they could have married, you should put it up here.
Country, County, Borough, City...?

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 54 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article