All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Christain Tromm
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 54

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 31/12/2013 :  18:36:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They does, change constantly.
For an "Østlending" Eastlender like me the R in the Møre dialect is pronunced with a long, hard rolling R.

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 31/12/2013 19:33:28
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 31/12/2013 :  18:51:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kåarto

Not sure why I brought in VORDNER for Walden, I must have mixed up with something else
Kåre

--Lauden Vordner is the birth place for Cristian Tompson as remembered by Derek from his aunt's journal
--Walden is the birth place for Cristian Tompson as listed in a registry of the deaths of seamen (British National Archives registry, at Kew)
--jkmarler was discussing Lauden Vordner, puzzling over what it refers to, and also referenced David Yaw's siting of "Walden"
--Kåre, you responded to jkmarler's comments on Lauden Vordner, referring to "Lauden and Vordner" as both being non-Norwegian
--David Yaw then commented on Walden, addressing his comment to Kåre when likely he meant to direct it to jkmarler, or to both

So I am not understanding why Kåre says this; I see no mixing up by Kåre.

Hi to Frank - nice to meet you!
And happy new year all!

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Page 14 of the thread, from jungfish: "We have found documentation that shews Cristian's place of birth as Waldon. No date. Is there such a place...in Norway?" (he then corrected to Walden)
Page 21, here comes the source of that statement, from David Yaw:
"National Archives, Kew. I went through the BT334/74 and BT334/80 records. As we suspected, these are simply the registers which record the deaths of seamen with very basic details of name, nationality, place of birth and residence. The deaths in the loss of the Campanula on 28 January are not recorded until March 1920 - presumably the delay was due to the length of time to realise the vessel was missing, that she was lost and the administrative process of forwarding that info to the authorities and them then entering it into the register. Note Christian's nationality given here as British, birthplace Walden."

And bravo David, for all you've done on this project.

Edited by - JaneC on 31/12/2013 19:29:21
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 31/12/2013 :  21:42:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Jane.
Easy to get lost with so many replies.
For a moment I thought I had fallen off the wagon

Kåre
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 31/12/2013 :  22:32:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You are clean and sober!

HaPpY New YeAr!

Edited by - JaneC on 01/01/2014 00:50:54
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2014 :  01:53:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Question for the Brits among us...

If a foreign national joined British military would that be a short-cut to being able to assume British citizenship? In America during WWI there was an initiative offering military service to reduce or eliminate your prison term. I know of one who reduced his 10 year sentence to time servied (7 years) by doing that. Anything similar in Britain

Otherwise, what's the procedure to become a British citizen?
Go to Top of Page

jungfigh

Malta
326 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2014 :  06:24:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome cousin Frank:

New contributor,new blood with possibly a new view on investigations

.It would also be special if cousin. Bobbie and her son Francis joins us too.

DL. ;o) Malta. G.C.
Go to Top of Page

jungfigh

Malta
326 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2014 :  06:30:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jkmarler

If a foreign national joined British military would that be a short-cut to being able to assume British citizenship? In America during WWI there was an initiative offering military service to reduce or eliminate your prison term. I know of one who reduced his 10 year sentence to time servied (7 years) by doing that. Anything similar in Britain

I don't know the answer to this one Jackie but I will track it down. The early 20th century and in particular The Great War years may also have had special dispensations for non-British combatants.

In the meantime a B I G Thank-you all for doing such tremendous research into the Enigma who was Cristian.
May 2014 reveal all.

a Is - Sena t - Tajba.

from Malta. G.C.

DL. ;o) Malta. G.C.

Edited by - jungfigh on 01/01/2014 06:32:18
Go to Top of Page

jungfigh

Malta
326 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2014 :  10:51:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Amongst photographs, etc. Cousin Frank sent a copy of a piece of paper (I'm having trouble posting it here). Written thereon: Kristan Thromme...Tomsen. Died 1920. VOLDEN LAUDNOR Norway. This is Cousin Frank's dad Franks' recollection of his father.

DL. ;o) Malta. G.C.
Go to Top of Page

David Yaw
Medium member

United Kingdom
128 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2014 :  12:25:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jungfigh

quote:

I don't know the answer to this one Jackie but I will track it down. The early 20th century and in particular The Great War years may also have had special dispensations for non-British combatants.

In the meantime a B I G Thank-you all for doing such tremendous research into the Enigma who was Cristian.
May 2014 reveal all.

a Is - Sena t - Tajba.

from Malta. G.C.

This is not an authoritative response, but one based on personal experience with family members moving from Norway to UK.

It seems the applicant was interviewed by a sergeant in the local constabulary who drafted a report on the applicant's background and character, with links to UK - in our case including several years' service on British registered vessels. The report and recommendation were forwarded to the Home Office in London. They prepared a document confirming granting of naturalisation, signed by the Secretary of State (=Minister) - in our case a certain Winston S Churchill !!

Thereafter the applicant swore an Oath of Allegiance to the Crown before a Justice of the Peace (= local magistrate). That seems to have completed the process.

In one of our cases, the successful applicant is referred to as "British Subject" in the 1911 UK census. But in another case, my great grandmother is shown in the 1901 UK census as "Naturalised British Subject" but simply "British Resident" in the 1911 census. I have found no naturalisation certificate for her in the National Archives.

. In the 1911 census, Cristian is shown as having Norwegian nationality, and born Norway and Resident - but not sure we can draw hard and fast conclusions from this. I have previously checked the National Archives and found no naturalisation grant for him.
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2014 :  13:50:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Amongst photographs, etc. Cousin Frank sent a copy of a piece of paper (I'm having trouble posting it here). Written thereon: Kristan Thromme...Tomsen. Died 1920. VOLDEN LAUDNOR Norway. This is Cousin Frank's dad Franks' recollection of his father.

This is part of notes written by Frank, Cristian's son, or notes written by Frank, Frank's son?
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2014 :  13:59:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Yaw

. In the 1911 census, Cristian is shown as having Norwegian nationality, and born Norway and Resident - but not sure we can draw hard and fast conclusions from this. I have previously checked the National Archives and found no naturalisation grant for him.

This apparent change is what sparked my curiosity about the WWI service question, what had happened in the intervening years to change Christian's status? The then British system seems a whole lot less formal and prescribed than the then American process, 2 step (which today is absolutely hideously complicated).

Edited by - jkmarler on 01/01/2014 14:55:03
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2014 :  14:09:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmm
VOLDEN LAUDNOR NORWAY
LAUD (??) NOR (NORWAY??)

Try another door, but It make no sence that -NOR stands for Norway since Norway is mentioned.
I have tried to figure out from what LAUD- may have been translated from.

LAUD is an old grade in school for very good and make no sence in this case.

I have no answere to that.

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 01/01/2014 14:35:56
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2014 :  14:36:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kåarto

Hmm

LAUD is an old grade in school for very good and make no sence in this case.

Kåre

Laud in English is a noun meaning praise. According to my Webster's it's roots are Middle English & Old French to Latin laus, laudis meaning praise or glory.

Still a bit of a muddle....
Go to Top of Page

jungfigh

Malta
326 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2014 :  14:49:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

This is part of notes written by Frank, Cristian's son, or notes written by Frank, Frank's son?

I believe the first note(s) were written by Cristian's son, Frank. But will verify that with cousin Frank. If you're looking in cousin Frank perchance you could verify,or, even better, post your dad's note-let.

DL. ;o) Malta. G.C.
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2014 :  15:30:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
VOLDEN

Derek's Norwegian grandfather is "Kristian Thromme of Volden" who went to England and died at sea in 1920 in a fishing boat tragedy

Remind you of anybody we know?

Glory Hallelujah Happy New Year!

As you guys have implied and I agree (and said earlier in the thread), Laudnor seems to be (or could be) a word that specifies more information about Volden. It might simply be an adjective. It might refer to a place, either a place smaller than Volden/within Volden (as in Oslo hospital, or Volden beach neighborhood) or it might refer to a place larger than Volden (as in Oslo, Norway, or Volden Sunnmøre or Romsdalen or Rovdefjord - replace my choices and insert correct geographical term here). Gramtrans translator gives "nor" as the English word "cove." Is that anywhere close to accurate? If so, could that be Laud Cove or Laud Bay? Then allow that maybe an R was rolled into an L (per local dialect, local accent). Does Raud Cove or Raud Bay mean anything? Kristian Elias's father Daniel was at one time a "strandsitter" (?) and rented land on the shore for his house. Kåre has been firm that Laudner is not a Norwegian term or place, so it must be an Anglicization of what Cristian Tompson was referring to, based either on his writing or on his spoken word.

Godt Nyttår :D

Edited by - JaneC on 01/01/2014 17:59:40
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 54 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article