All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Christain Tromm
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 54

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2014 :  17:48:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JaneC

[b] Does Raud Cove or Raud Bay mean anything?

Happy New year.

Raud is New Norwegian for Red.

Kåre
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2014 :  18:27:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

VOLDEN

Derek's Norwegian grandfather is "Kristian Thromme of Volden" who went to England and died at sea in 1920 in a fishing boat tragedy

Remind you of anybody we know?

Glory Hallelujah Happy New Year!

As you guys have implied and I agree (and said earlier in the thread), Laudnor seems to be (or could be) a word that specifies more information about Volden. It might simply be an adjective. It might refer to a place, either a place smaller than Volden/within Volden (as in Oslo hospital, or Volden beach neighborhood) or it might refer to a place larger than Volden (as in Oslo, Norway, or Volden Sunnmøre or Romsdalen or Rovdefjord - replace my choices and insert correct geographical term here). Gramtrans translator gives "nor" as the English word "cove." Is that anywhere close to accurate? If so, could that be Laud Cove or Laud Bay? Then allow that maybe an R was rolled into an L (per local dialect, local accent). Does Raud Cove or Raud Bay mean anything? Kristian Elias's father Daniel was at one time a "strandsitter" (?) and rented land on the shore for his house. Kåre has been firm that Laudner is not a Norwegian term or place, so it must be an Anglicization of what Cristian Tompson was referring to, based either on his writing or on his spoken word.

Godt Nyttår :D

Well who knows?

My 1949 Gyldendals Norsk -Engelsk dictionary has a Norwegian word "nor" which means "(vik) frith ( with a narrow inlet)". That could be a description of the place where thethin stream of water goes by the farm Strømme in Volda and empties into the fjord. I think there was a map posted sometime ago on this topic or am I having a phantom memory.
Go to Top of Page

jungfigh

Malta
326 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2014 :  18:53:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A very basic sitrep:

We know Cristian was real.

He fathered 7 children with Maud Fast.

He served in the British Army...WW1 and survived until joining the Ramsgate fishing fleet and was killed after his ship Campanula trawled up a mine in 1920.

All these facts are documented. Photographic evidence too.

Why, oh why can't we establish HIS exact place, date of birth..?

Did he live under an alias...pseudonym..? If so why..?

Why should my Aunt Marge and Cousin Frank's dad have similar note with regard Cristian...? (although Aunties was lost and was left to my memory) the similarity is uncanny. Cousin Frank's note-let from his Dad was new to me.

Further inquiries from the Royal Marine and Royal Artillery museums await for any other details...however tenuous.

DL. ;o) Malta. G.C.
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2014 :  18:58:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Circumstantial cases are always untidy and can come down to the smallest of details in among the mounds of details.

My doctor told me one time that when diagnosing a case to always look for horses first, then the zebras. Usually the most common things are the straightforward records with straightforward facts only when those are exhausted can you move on to zebras looking for the uncommon diagnoses.

Edited by - jkmarler on 01/01/2014 19:03:01
Go to Top of Page

jungfigh

Malta
326 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2014 :  21:06:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Stripy horses hey..!

DL. ;o) Malta. G.C.
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2014 :  23:01:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What would be the best right now would be to hear how Frank, Christian's son related the information about Volden and when he passed this on to Frank the son.
Go to Top of Page

jungfigh

Malta
326 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2014 :  06:26:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jkmarler

What would be the best right now would be to hear how Frank, Christian's son related the information about Volden and when he passed this on to Frank the son.

Agreed on that Jackie: If Frank doesn't see these posts I'll contact him today.

DL. ;o) Malta. G.C.
Go to Top of Page

FrankTompson
Starting member

United Kingdom
22 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2014 :  11:02:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi folks,

Here's the scrappy note that Derek was alluding to. It's probably 30 years old, but I hung onto it in case it was of use for purposes exactly like this.

Apart from that there's nothing that I can recall at present that Derek hasn't already flagged up. (I do recall my father telling me that on one occasion he reached over at a mealtime to help himself to a piece of bread, only to find the sharp blade of the bread-knife come crashing down from Cristian's hand and being told, in no uncertain terms, that if you want a piece of bread you ask. Life was tough!)
Go to Top of Page

jungfigh

Malta
326 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2014 :  16:38:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank-you for that Frank.

Again, your dad's memory of Cristian's discipline was new to me...and why shouldn't it be..?

When I was young and recall speaking with grandmother Maud, Aunt Rose, Tish, Marge and my own Mum, even Timmer, I can't ever recall grandfather being mentioned by them with the exception of Maud stating that Cristian fought for Britain in WW1.

Of course being so young at that time questions weren't asked...but...such a shame.

Something always to be regretted...Hindsight is a marvellous thing.

DL. ;o) Malta. G.C.
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2014 :  16:38:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank, thanks for sharing the note you took 30+ years ago from a conversation with your father Frank about his father Cristian's origin.
It is as Derek has said two of the siblings had similar memories of the origin place of their father. Coupled with Walden from the official record they make Kristian Elias Danielson seem much more plausible.

It's also a little sad to think one of your father's memorable experiences with his father involved a knife blade slapping down on his hand -- at most at 6 or 7 years of age. I guess that is a lesson to all parents--if this was your last day, is this how you would want your child to remember you?

I'll look forward to the probate record of Kristian's father to see if any mention is made of his children who died before him. I think it would be most helpful to have the death certs for all the siblings to see if any have another iteration of Cristian's homeplace in Norway.

Hopefully there is some local expert in Volda who knows the local in dialect name of the thread of water connecting Botnvika with the 2 little lakes, one of which is between the farm Kile and the fjord.

Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2014 :  19:38:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kåarto

Strømme is across the two fjords Volds-/Austefjorden from Volda. Lauden is not a Norwegian place, farm, name etc. ...
Enter the map and spell "Straume, Volda." Lauden make no sence to me.
Kåre

A good idea from jkmarler: "Hopefully there is some local expert in Volda who knows the local in dialect name of the thread of water connecting Botnvika with the 2 little lakes, one of which is between the farm Kile and the fjord."
Map
http://www.1881.no/Kart/?p=%7b62.067264344031%7c6.06639907126418%7cStraume%7cFolkestad%7d

Jan Peter did mention that the papers from Daniel's death in 1942 listed 5 children as heirs; Kristian Elias was not among them.

Edited by - JaneC on 02/01/2014 20:25:51
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2014 :  21:10:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by FrankTompson

Hi folks,

Here's the scrappy note that Derek was alluding to. It's probably 30 years old, but I hung onto it in case it was of use for purposes exactly like this.

Apart from that there's nothing that I can recall at present that Derek hasn't already flagged up. (I do recall my father telling me that on one occasion he reached over at a mealtime to help himself to a piece of bread, only to find the sharp blade of the bread-knife come crashing down from Cristian's hand and being told, in no uncertain terms, that if you want a piece of bread you ask. Life was tough!)

Volden municipality changed to Volda 1918.

Still working with the word LAUDNOR.

Kåre
Go to Top of Page

jungfigh

Malta
326 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2014 :  06:29:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

VOLDEN

Derek's Norwegian grandfather is "Kristian Thromme of Volden" who went to England and died at sea in 1920 in a fishing boat tragedy

Remind you of anybody we know?

Glory Hallelujah Happy New Year!

As you guys have implied and I agree (and said earlier in the thread), Laudnor seems to be (or could be) a word that specifies more information about Volden. It might simply be an adjective. It might refer to a place, either a place smaller than Volden/within Volden (as in Oslo hospital, or Volden beach neighborhood) or it might refer to a place larger than Volden (as in Oslo, Norway, or Volden Sunnmøre or Romsdalen or Rovdefjord - replace my choices and insert correct geographical term here). Gramtrans translator gives "nor" as the English word "cove." Is that anywhere close to accurate? If so, could that be Laud Cove or Laud Bay? Then allow that maybe an R was rolled into an L (per local dialect, local accent). Does Raud Cove or Raud Bay mean anything? Kristian Elias's father Daniel was at one time a "strandsitter" (?) and rented land on the shore for his house. Kåre has been firm that Laudner is not a Norwegian term or place, so it must be an Anglicization of what Cristian Tompson was referring to, based either on his writing or on his spoken word.

Godt Nyttår :D

Good morning Jane,

Sounds good.

Would it be possible to trace the heirs of "Kristian Thromme of Volden"...or could you advise how I go about it..?

DL. ;o) Malta. G.C.

Edited by - jungfigh on 03/01/2014 09:47:01
Go to Top of Page

jungfigh

Malta
326 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2014 :  12:08:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jkmarler

Question for the Brits among us...

If a foreign national joined British military would that be a short-cut to being able to assume British citizenship? In America during WWI there was an initiative offering military service to reduce or eliminate your prison term. I know of one who reduced his 10 year sentence to time servied (7 years) by doing that. Anything similar in Britain

Otherwise, what's the procedure to become a British citizen?

Good morning Jackie,

I have just spoken with the historian at 'Firepower'. The Royal Artillery Museum in Woolwich, London.

He Informs me that " Anyone, from any country, who joins The British Army , and serves,becomes a Briton by right".

Very interesting. I wasn't aware of that.

DL. ;o) Malta. G.C.
Go to Top of Page

jungfigh

Malta
326 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2014 :  12:29:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have managed to speak with an Historian:

The Royal Marine Museum, Southsea England.

The E-mails I have sent have not been acknowledged with regard to Donald Tompson, shewn in the UK census 1871 as a Marine in their barracks in Deal, Kent.

Also Donald Tompson is shewn as Father, of Cristian on Cristian & Maud's Wedding Certificate

I keep going back to this man although I may be entirely wrong with regard the linkage.

DL. ;o) Malta. G.C.

Edited by - jungfigh on 03/01/2014 12:30:15
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 54 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article