All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Christain Tromm
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 54

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2014 :  19:46:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jkmarler

When I look at the 2 recaps, the basic kernel of truth is that the 2 tales are very similar. The one sure thing is Volden, and his first name is Kristian /Cristian; age is approximately correct, tale of his demise is very similar and in a general sense the record in Norway vanishes about the same time the record in England begins.

Bingo

am thinkin aboot yer man Cristain that hung aboot Ramsgay an all an may be its the same wan.

Edited by - JaneC on 05/01/2014 20:08:17
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2014 :  20:44:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Derek, thanks. Here's what I get: Not Found. The requested URL /TOMPSON-MATSON was not found on this server. But as I say, when I copy and paste those same words into Google search bar, I get prompted to go to the same document I myself posted earlier. It doesn't include the middle name William. Will you double check?

If the middle name William appears for Christian, I wonder why, what is the source? Since you just discovered it yourself, I can imagine you don't yet have the answer to that...

Thanks again.

Edited by - JaneC on 05/01/2014 22:36:33
Go to Top of Page

jungfigh

Malta
326 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2014 :  20:49:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JaneC

quote:
Cristian's name is here given as Christain Thromme Tomsen.
http://view.officeapps.live.com/op/view.aspx?src=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.franktompson.talktalk.net%2FTOMPSON-MATSON%2520FAMILY%2520TREE.doc

The name on this family tree, posted on page 28 of this thread, is "Christain Thromme Tomsen (7)." Footnote (7) says "Name still uncertain." I believe this is Frank's tree? I see no "Christain William" and the search tool does not find one.

The link you posted just now does not work for me Derek, so I am sorry to say I can't check it. What gives? Do you have a later, more recent version of the same tree? Or ....?

I did paste the following into Google Search...

http://www.franktompson.talktalk.net/TOMPSON-MATSON FAMILY TREE.doc

...which replicates the url you've given, and it takes me to the version of the tree I posted, with no "Christain William."

If the name "William" appears on the family tree you have posted, what is the source of the name "William"? In the extensive documents and discussion posted in this thread, I can't find that the name "William" has ever before appeared.

Jackie, Jane: Cut and paste the link below into the URL. It will open into a word document. Click on page lay out then size and select A4.
(I did this to increase font size to be more readable) There adjacent to Maud fast you will note M Christane WILLAM Thromme. I haven't contacted Cousin Frank as yet to establish why the Family Tree reflects as such.

http://www.franktompson.talktalk.net/TOMPSON-MATSON FAMILY TREE

DL. ;o) Malta. G.C.

Edited by - jungfigh on 05/01/2014 20:57:12
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2014 :  20:56:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay, thanks Derek. From my interpretation of the situation, the names get mashed together when resizing in that way.
There's a William Matson (wife Jane Bushell) who is the father of a William and a John. Cristain's name gets mingled together with those names. I'll predict Frank will verify he did not intend for Cristain's name to appear that way, and there is no middle name of William.

Edited by - JaneC on 05/01/2014 20:59:09
Go to Top of Page

jungfigh

Malta
326 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2014 :  20:58:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for that Jane...Understandable.

DL. ;o) Malta. G.C.
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2014 :  21:00:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You bet.
Urgghhh computers and the internet. So amazing, so incredibly useful - but at times all the variations in the technology tend to trip us up.
Go to Top of Page

FrankTompson
Starting member

United Kingdom
22 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2014 :  23:46:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi folks,

I think something has got misconstrued due to a re-sizing/formatting/whatever during download. There is, indeed, in my family tree version no 'William' attached to Cristian's name. For clarification attached is Cristian's side of my family tree in image format.

Cheers,

Frank
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2014 :  00:15:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Many thanks for help!
Go to Top of Page

jungfigh

Malta
326 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2014 :  06:30:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by FrankTompson

Hi folks,

I think something has got misconstrued due to a re-sizing/formatting/whatever during download. There is, indeed, in my family tree version no 'William' attached to Cristian's name. For clarification attached is Cristian's side of my family tree in image format.

Cheers,

Frank

Thank-you Frank.

DL. ;o) Malta. G.C.
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2014 :  11:26:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kåarto

[quote][i]Volden municipality changed to Volda 1918.

Still working with the word LAUDNOR.

Kåre

We will probably never find out what LAUDNOR means, but if it took many years before the word was written down from where Christian had stated he came from,it may have been a way to emphasize that he came from "LANGT NOR" pronunced "LANGT NOR" which means FAR NORTH.

Volda is "far north" from UK.

Kåre
Go to Top of Page

jungfigh

Malta
326 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2014 :  11:54:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank-you Kåre,

I know we will get there.

Cousin Frank and I have spoken about going along the DNA route. He being a male from the Tomson side would have a better lineage than me, from the female Tomson side.

Inquiries in hand to establish our best Norwegian 'possible relative' for control purposes.

DL. ;o) Malta. G.C.
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2014 :  14:02:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
DNA never lies and is used more and more in genealogy.
In certain parts in England there have been projects to determine what proportion of the population that orginated from the Vikings.

I believe that the longest lasting topic of this forum will have a happy ending

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 06/01/2014 14:03:44
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2014 :  18:15:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Back in an edit

You are investigating all this, Derek, but for the record I'll post the quick facts. Only males carry Y-DNA (males are XY, females are XX), so one must be a son of a son of a son (and so on) to carry a male ancestor's Y-DNA. If a son of a son of Daniel Danielsen Strømme cannot be found, then one could consider seeking a male-line descendant of Daniel's father. Wishing you luck with this!

Edited by - JaneC on 07/01/2014 17:27:59
Go to Top of Page

jungfigh

Malta
326 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2014 :  21:03:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

You are investigating all this, Derek, but for the record I'll post the quick facts. Only males carry Y-DNA (males are XY, females are XX), so one must be a son of a son of a son (and so on) to carry a male ancestor's Y-DNA. The following website (see link) recommends testing for 67 markers.

"For those who tested a maximum of 67 markers:
Less than 60/67 – the two participants probably do not share a recent common ancestor.
60/67 and 61/67 - the two participants may share a common ancestor from the early days ...Increase to 111 markers and re-evaluate.
62/67 and better - researchers consider these to be a match - indicating a recent shared common ancestor."
Link:
http://www.worldfamilies.net/matches#Mean

If a son of a son of Daniel Danielsen Strømme cannot be found, then one could consider seeking a male-line descendant of Daniel's father.

Phew...some reading there Jane.

Than-you so much for your input.

DL. ;o) Malta. G.C.
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2014 :  01:13:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is a very beautiful picture website of Straumshamn, apparently put together by a local person?

www.straumshamn.com

I took the liberty of translating a paragraph or so from the site at Google translate:

"Kilsfjord is a fjord in Volda municipality in Møre og Romsdal. It's a side inlet of Voldsfjorden and is about three kilometers long. The inner part of the fjord, which is also called Kilspollen, a poll by a narrow channel at Straum harbor. Outside Straum harbor called open for most Botnavika. Fjord sides are very high and steep, with mountains over 1000 meters high. European route 39 runs along the western side of the bay, while highway 651 runs on the east side and continuing into Austefjorden. County road 651 (Fv651) runs between Volda and,,,,,"

Its a very beautiful place to be from.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 54 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article