All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Christain Tromm
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 54

jungfigh

Malta
326 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2014 :  06:13:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hopefully a glimmer at the end of this l-o-n-g tunnel Jane

DL. ;o) Malta. G.C.
Go to Top of Page

jungfigh

Malta
326 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2014 :  11:47:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hopefully the query regarding 1st. World War British Soldiers Wills can be cleared up too!

DL. ;o) Malta. G.C.
Go to Top of Page

jungfigh

Malta
326 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2014 :  11:41:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Through the grapevine an old school chum of mine from Ramsgate has been in touch.

He has now retired as being the Cox'n of Ramgate Lifeboat, after many years. He has offered his services to help trace down any relevant information he can find with regard Cristian.

After a life-time on the sea at Ramsgate and the Kentish coast his assistance and contacts may prove invaluable.

DL. ;o) Malta. G.C.
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2014 :  23:33:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JaneC

Name: Peder Strømme
Death Date: 15 Jun 1967
Burial Date: 20 Jun 1967
Burial Place: Ålesund, "Møre og Romsdal", Norway
Birth Date: 10 Oct 1885
http://www.disnorge.no/gravminner/index.php

from the Volda-Soga:
Peder Matias Strømme, b. 10 Oct 1885, d. ?, married to Petra Hellandshamn, lived at Ålesund.

I have located a son of Peder and Petra, probably living as of today, 93 y.o. Thus; a male lineage (DNA-wise) after Daniel Straume.
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2014 :  23:43:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fabulous!
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2014 :  23:59:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WOO HOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My goodness, he might even remember stories of Kristian.

Edited by - JaneC on 06/02/2014 00:18:49
Go to Top of Page

jungfigh

Malta
326 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2014 :  06:10:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jwiborg

quote:

Name: Peder Strømme
Death Date: 15 Jun 1967
Burial Date: 20 Jun 1967
Burial Place: Ålesund, "Møre og Romsdal", Norway
Birth Date: 10 Oct 1885
http://www.disnorge.no/gravminner/index.php

from the Volda-Soga:
Peder Matias Strømme, b. 10 Oct 1885, d. ?, married to Petra Hellandshamn, lived at Ålesund.

I have located a son of Peder and Petra, probably living as of today, 93 y.o. Thus; a male lineage (DNA-wise) after Daniel Straume.

Excellent news Jan Peter...You're a star

Suggestions please: How should I, (or would it be best left to you for continuity purposes)..proceed..?

DL. ;o) Malta. G.C.
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2014 :  09:18:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
thanks.
It would be of great news if he is alive, and by good health. I am in contact with a descendant of another line after Daniel Strømme, and he actually thought this person was deceased, but couldn't tell for sure. They had never had any contact. I've found a phoneno. for him, so I've asked him if he could give him a call. We will try to sort this out as soon as possible.

From your side; I guess you would be interested in a DNA test?
Maybe start a process of which company to use, the costs and practical matters towards them, how to proceed, what they need (hair or saliva) etc..?

Edited by - jwiborg on 06/02/2014 09:20:38
Go to Top of Page

jungfigh

Malta
326 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2014 :  09:35:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As it stands Jan Peter I would be willing to pay the bill. The only requirements needed from the Norwegian connections would be a mouth swab and a head hair (if possible). I believe these simple kits, swab and container and plastic bag for hair sample are available almost everywhere. They can then be submitted to me or cousin Frank in England for submission, with Frank's (he would be the better match than me, him being the male line) to the Lab. there.

Once all is collated I will put everything together and post it on.

DL. ;o) Malta. G.C.

Edited by - jungfigh on 06/02/2014 09:46:26
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2014 :  12:42:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I believe many/most companies have their own set of "equipment" to be used for such sample-collection, and which are included in the total prize?
Could you do some investigation around that, to verify how it shall be done for the Company of your choice?
We must avoid getting into a situation where they dont accept the received samples.

Edited by - jwiborg on 06/02/2014 12:46:24
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2014 :  15:18:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If for some reason, such as death or lack of desire to do the test, there is also a male2male2male etc descendant from Daniel Danielson's brother Sivert Danielson who might be interested in helping.
Go to Top of Page

jungfigh

Malta
326 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2014 :  15:31:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes Jan Peter.

I fully accept what you say.

Frank and I have 'done' investigations. Some are as clear as mud.

I also await news from the Metropolitan Police, London who they have on their accredited Laboratories list for DNA purposes now that the MetPol. Forensic service has been disbanded...such a shame., It was a World class service. I suppose austerity affected us all.

I'm sure we'll make the right decision...Just to get this far with regard Cristian is fantastic...so many 'if only's'.

As a child I never questioned about Cristian. Cousin Frank mentioned he can remember his Father saying that Cristian whacked him (Frank's father) with the blade of a knife for taking bread from the dining table without asking permission.
I never had the fore-sight to ask my Mother any memories of her Father. If only..!

DL. ;o) Malta. G.C.
Go to Top of Page

jungfigh

Malta
326 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2014 :  15:33:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jkmarler

If for some reason, such as death or lack of desire to do the test, there is also a male2male2male etc descendant from Daniel Danielson's brother Sivert Danielson who might be interested in helping.

Thank-you Jackie.

I only picked up your post after replying to Jan Peter.

A great boon.

DL. ;o) Malta. G.C.
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2014 :  20:20:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, may I weigh in? I'm not sure there is any particular advantage to using a DNA testing service that is headquartered in England and/or a specialized police lab. To the contrary, I would consider those characteristics disadvantages. Instead I'd look for a very public and worldwide service. Your results will be compared (or can be) with other registrants at the same company, and who knows, a surprise match could come up, now or in the future. Why limit that possibility by using a closed or little known lab? Surprise matches are most likely to come from Norway or America.

One company that is often recommend is FTDNA. Other top services include AncestryDNA and 23andme. I don't know of Norwegian DNA testing services.

Consider ordering a Y-DNA testing kit asap. Purchase a kit to test for 37 or 67 markers. If you choose 37 (less expensive) the results can be upgraded later, if need be.

The previous sale (reduced price) at FTDNA seems to have evaporated but another may come up. FTDNA website:
http://www.familytreedna.com/y-dna-compare.aspx

On this link, FTDNA describes its test kit:
http://www.familytreedna.com/test-instructions.aspx

Individuals must use this specific kit for this company - and also the kit should be returned directly to the lab (not through a third party). FTDNA accepts payment from a third party, and the people being tested can give the third party access to the results. Payment must be received before the test is run.

Frequently Asked Questions here:
http://www.familytreedna.com/faq/default.aspx

Too bad you can't test Derek, but thank goodness for Frank.

Hope this helps.

Edited by - JaneC on 07/02/2014 05:54:02
Go to Top of Page

NancyB
Medium member

USA
104 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2014 :  23:35:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

One company that is often recommend is FTDNA. Other top services include AncestryDNA and 23andme. I don't know of Norwegian DNA testing services.

Consider ordering a Y-DNA testing kit asap. Purchase a kit to test for 37 or 67 markers. If you choose 37 (less expensive) the results can be upgraded later, if need be. FTDNA says this about the 37 marker test: "37-marker matches are highly likely to be related within the past 8 generations." Should work for you.

I haven't following this entire thread, but would like to give a shout out for FTDNA. They have the largest database of the genetic genealogy companies. I used them recently to successfully find biological family for an adoptee who has been searching 35+ years. We started with the 37-marker Y-DNA. (Don't do anything less!) Upgraded to 67 markers and also did the autosomal "Family Finder." All can be done from one test sample. The autosomal will give you a predicted relationship (usually a range) between you and your matches.

We have since also tested with 23andMe (autosomal--23andMe does NOT offer the same kind of Y-DNA test as FTDNA). I much prefer FTDNA.

NancyB
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 54 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article