All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Christain Tromm
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 54

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2014 :  00:07:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's great to get a review from someone who has USED the service. Since 23andme doesn't offer Y-DNA, they are out of the running.

Edited by - JaneC on 07/02/2014 00:12:15
Go to Top of Page

jungfigh

Malta
326 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2014 :  05:51:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JaneC

Hi, may I weigh in? I'm not sure there is any particular advantage to using a DNA testing service that is headquartered in England and/or a specialized police lab. To the contrary, I would consider those characteristics disadvantages. Instead I'd look for a very public and worldwide service. Your results will be compared (or can be) with other registrants at the same company, and who knows, a surprise match could come up, now or in the future. Why limit that possibility by using a closed or little known lab? Surprise matches are most likely to come from Norway or America.

One company that is often recommend is FTDNA. Other top services include AncestryDNA and 23andme. I don't know of Norwegian DNA testing services.

Consider ordering a Y-DNA testing kit asap. Purchase a kit to test for 37 or 67 markers. If you choose 37 (less expensive) the results can be upgraded later, if need be. FTDNA says this about the 37 marker test: "37-marker matches are highly likely to be related within the past 8 generations." Should work for you.

The previous sale (reduced price) at FTDNA seems to have evaporated but another may come up. FTDNA website:
http://www.familytreedna.com/y-dna-compare.aspx

On this link, FTDNA describes its test kit:
http://www.familytreedna.com/test-instructions.aspx

Individuals must use this specific kit for this company - and also the kit should be returned directly to the lab (not through a third party). FTDNA accepts payment from a third party, and the people being tested can give the third party access to the results. Payment must be received before the test is run.

Frequently Asked Questions here:
http://www.familytreedna.com/faq/default.aspx

Too bad you can't test Derek, but thank goodness for Frank.

Hope this helps.

Thank-you Jane. I will liaise with Frank.

DL. ;o) Malta. G.C.
Go to Top of Page

jungfigh

Malta
326 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2014 :  05:54:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NancyB

quote:

One company that is often recommend is FTDNA. Other top services include AncestryDNA and 23andme. I don't know of Norwegian DNA testing services.

Consider ordering a Y-DNA testing kit asap. Purchase a kit to test for 37 or 67 markers. If you choose 37 (less expensive) the results can be upgraded later, if need be. FTDNA says this about the 37 marker test: "37-marker matches are highly likely to be related within the past 8 generations." Should work for you.

I haven't following this entire thread, but would like to give a shout out for FTDNA. They have the largest database of the genetic genealogy companies. I used them recently to successfully find biological family for an adoptee who has been searching 35+ years. We started with the 37-marker Y-DNA. (Don't do anything less!) Upgraded to 67 markers and also did the autosomal "Family Finder." All can be done from one test sample. The autosomal will give you a predicted relationship (usually a range) between you and your matches.

We have since also tested with 23andMe (autosomal--23andMe does NOT offer the same kind of Y-DNA test as FTDNA). I much prefer FTDNA.

Thank-you too Nancy.

DL. ;o) Malta. G.C.
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2014 :  17:11:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jkmarler

If for some reason, such as death or lack of desire to do the test, there is also a male2male2male etc descendant from Daniel Danielson's brother Sivert Danielson who might be interested in helping.

Would be great, if possible, to test everyone who meets the criteria (male2male2male) and is willing to participate.

Edited by - JaneC on 07/02/2014 18:52:49
Go to Top of Page

jungfigh

Malta
326 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2014 :  06:22:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes Jane:

Let's hope the Norwegian Gents. would be in agreement.

DL. ;o) Malta. G.C.
Go to Top of Page

jungfigh

Malta
326 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2014 :  11:48:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Still await the report from the British Army researcher with regard Cristian's record.

DL. ;o) Malta. G.C.
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2014 :  16:39:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jungfigh

You have a lot of people crossing fingers for you on that one Derek! Just a word? You've got a ot of Y-DNA cousins if we did the whole extended Y-DNA tree. Y-DNA is relatively stable and will show not only connections to Daniel Stromme and his brothers and their sons, but also to their father and father's brothers, and their sons, and their paternal grandfather and his brothers and all their sons, their paternal great-grandfather and brothers and all their sons, and on and on .. Lot of male descendants with that Y-DNA. Some of them may have already tested. I don't know how popular Y-DNA testing is in Norway, but it is popular in America. About half of Norway's population emigrated (from early 1800s to early 1900s) and we can be almost sure (almost) that you have Y-DNA cousins outside of Norway. This is what i meant by surprise matches. You can seek surprise matches at a big very public well-known lab where other people have tested and filed and are waiting there, just waiting - for you! Your line may match people who have already tested and have not been invited by you. (hint, There's really no need to wait...)

Edited by - JaneC on 11/02/2014 16:50:13
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2014 :  16:50:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is a DNA project for genealogists in Norway link

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 11/02/2014 16:54:32
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2014 :  16:58:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Kåre. Bottom line, this is a personal quest and no one's preferences matter except the people directly involved. About Kåre's link. Seems this project coordinates with Family Tree DNA service (FTDNA), the service we've talked about. Am I reading that right?

Edited by - JaneC on 11/02/2014 18:08:21
Go to Top of Page

jungfigh

Malta
326 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2014 :  09:39:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It would appears so Jane.
Thank-you for the link Kåre. More grist to the mill, if/when required..!

DL. ;o) Malta. G.C.
Go to Top of Page

jungfigh

Malta
326 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2014 :  09:43:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I e-mailed Mr. Svein Ragnar Straume yesterday. His particulars were passed on to Jackie from Annita Søvik.

Mr Straume has been away for a while. I look forward to a reply from him...fingers crossed..!

DL. ;o) Malta. G.C.
Go to Top of Page

jungfigh

Malta
326 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2014 :  09:47:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by jungfigh

You have a lot of people crossing fingers for you on that one Derek! Just a word? You've got a ot of Y-DNA cousins if we did the whole extended Y-DNA tree. Y-DNA is relatively stable and will show not only connections to Daniel Stromme and his brothers and their sons, but also to their father and father's brothers, and their sons, and their paternal grandfather and his brothers and all their sons, their paternal great-grandfather and brothers and all their sons, and on and on .. Lot of male descendants with that Y-DNA. Some of them may have already tested. I don't know how popular Y-DNA testing is in Norway, but it is popular in America. About half of Norway's population emigrated (from early 1800s to early 1900s) and we can be almost sure (almost) that you have Y-DNA cousins outside of Norway. This is what i meant by surprise matches. You can seek surprise matches at a big very public well-known lab where other people have tested and filed and are waiting there, just waiting - for you! Your line may match people who have already tested and have not been invited by you. (hint, There's really no need to wait...)

Thank-you so much Jane.

Very informative.

DL. ;o) Malta. G.C.
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2014 :  10:38:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just a short update, regarding the son of Peder and Petra.
He is alive and 92 years old. But his health is not good, so it might turn out difficult to get a consent for DNA-testing.
But: He has a son that the relatives did not know about! (They only knew of a daughter). They will try to contact this son soon.
The Y-DNA track is alive...

Edited by - jwiborg on 12/02/2014 10:39:31
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2014 :  12:02:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thanks Kåre. Bottom line, this is a personal quest and no one's preferences matter except the people directly involved. About Kåre's link. Seems this project coordinates with Family Tree DNA service (FTDNA), the service we've talked about. Am I reading that right?

Hi Jane.
I am uncertain how the DNA project works, and its quite complicated to explain, but the number who sign up are increasing.

Interesting to read how someone who suspected that his great-great grandfathers father was incorrect rec. in the church book.

From family information and comparison with a cousin who also was a descendant after his g.g grandfather, and from the DNA test he found out that his suspicion was correct, though he found it inappropriate to suspect his grandmother.

If you get a hit, a DNA calculater can calculate the percentage of how many generations back is was since you had a common ancestor.

Kåre
Go to Top of Page

jungfigh

Malta
326 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2014 :  15:35:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jwiborg

Just a short update, regarding the son of Peder and Petra.
He is alive and 92 years old. But his health is not good, so it might turn out difficult to get a consent for DNA-testing.
But: He has a son that the relatives did not know about! (They only knew of a daughter). They will try to contact this son soon.
The Y-DNA track is alive...

Thank-you Jan Peter.

DL. ;o) Malta. G.C.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 54 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article