All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Christain Tromm
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 54

jungfigh

Malta
326 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2014 :  15:40:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kåarto

quote:
Originally posted by JaneC

Thanks Kåre. Bottom line, this is a personal quest and no one's preferences matter except the people directly involved. About Kåre's link. Seems this project coordinates with Family Tree DNA service (FTDNA), the service we've talked about. Am I reading that right?

Hi Jane.
I am uncertain how the DNA project works, and its quite complicated to explain, but the number who sign up are increasing.

Interesting to read how someone who suspected that his great-great grandfathers father was incorrect rec. in the church book.

From family information and comparison with a cousin who also was a descendant after his g.g grandfather, and from the DNA test he found out that his suspicion was correct, though he found it inappropriate to suspect his grandmother.

If you get a hit, a DNA calculater can calculate the percentage of how many generations back is was since you had a common ancestor.

Kåre

Hello Kåre.

It's a veritable 'minefield'...Cousin Frank and I have done some research, but, as neither of us are complete idiots, I came away from the research feeling like one..!

DNA is universally known, used, but understood..? That's a different kettle of herrings.

DL. ;o) Malta. G.C.
Go to Top of Page

jungfigh

Malta
326 Posts

Posted - 15/02/2014 :  12:22:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh dear..!

Why do things at times seem so difficult..?

After awaiting a reply from New Scotland Yard, London. With regard to an accredited list of their DNA Labs. I have been referred to the Home Office.

Without seeming too much of a grump, before the time of computers, etcetera, our inquiries were made by personal visits, telephones and with the aid of and pen and paper. The system worked.

Now the marvellous technology (the Internet) is with us, in certain circumstances the process of investigation seems to have grown to achieve ones goal. To me things appear to have regressed.

Moan over..!

I have made my feelings known to the faceless operator on The N.S.Y. website.

DL. ;o) Malta. G.C.

Edited by - jungfigh on 15/02/2014 12:23:39
Go to Top of Page

jungfigh

Malta
326 Posts

Posted - 17/02/2014 :  12:35:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great news:

Received earlier this morning from the British Army researcher.

Dear Derek

I am pleased to be able to tell you I have completed my research into Christian Tompson and can report as follows –

I searched in record classes WO363 & WO364 which contain the surviving service records for First World War other ranks. I was unable to trace anything under his birth name here or in medal records. I then tried some alternatives and found that he actually enlisted as Christopher Thompson! However his correct first and last names are noted on a couple of occasions within the record.

One thing I noticed where his widow on the form she sent to the war Office applying for a pension she notes at the bottom “My husband drowned at sea. None of his people ever know”

Now to frustrate you further in your search for your ancestry in Norway he ststed he was born in Ramsgate! He probably gave this information as he was afraid he may be rejected for service if not born in the UK.

Medal card – This shows he was awarded the British War and Victory medals in respect of his wartime service. He served in the Royal Garrison artillery.

If you have any questions or queries please do not hesitate in contacting me.

I am sending the images via Hightail (formerly YouSendIt) which is an internet based file transfer system. You will shortly receive an email from YSI advising you that they have a transmission and giving the instructions for downloading.

In the past, the name Hightail has been mistaken for spam, but it is not and indeed is a very reputable organisation.

If you have any difficulty with Hightail please contact me and I shall advise you. Please let me know you have received them safely or if you have not received a notification email within 24 hours.

Regards

Lawrence

I am at present poring over the Army records of Cristian...so far what I have seen is truly fascinating.

I will share them when catalogued.

DL. ;o) Malta. G.C.
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 17/02/2014 :  14:27:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So Maud applied for a pension based on Cristian's service, was it awarded? If she got it, was she able to "keep" it since she married again in 1920?
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 17/02/2014 :  16:48:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jungfigh

Below are the details of my maternal Grandfathers death.

It is believed he travelled to UK (Ramsgate, Kent) at the turn of the 19th century from an unknown Norwegian location....There is also a memorial plaque dedicated to 'Campanula' in the Seaman's Church, Royal Harbour Ramsgate. Interestingly my Grandfather's name is shewn: Christine Thompson.

A thought: Do we know what record was used in identifying the names to be included on the monument? I can't recall, but I'll scan it to see if that came up.
Could "Christine Thompson" come from a record for
Christin E Thompson?

Derek, wonderful news from your researcher. Doesn't help with the search for him in Norway, unfortunately, but does add much to your understanding of Christian's life.

Edited by - JaneC on 18/02/2014 03:56:15
Go to Top of Page

jungfigh

Malta
326 Posts

Posted - 18/02/2014 :  06:10:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jkmarler

So Maud applied for a pension based on Cristian's service, was it awarded? If she got it, was she able to "keep" it since she married again in 1920?

I don't know the answer to that one Jackie...pending with regard further ???

DL. ;o) Malta. G.C.
Go to Top of Page

jungfigh

Malta
326 Posts

Posted - 18/02/2014 :  06:15:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by jungfigh

Below are the details of my maternal Grandfathers death.

It is believed he travelled to UK (Ramsgate, Kent) at the turn of the 19th century from an unknown Norwegian location....There is also a memorial plaque dedicated to 'Campanula' in the Seaman's Church, Royal Harbour Ramsgate. Interestingly my Grandfather's name is shewn: Christine Thompson.

A thought: Do we know what record was used in identifying the names to be included on the monument? I can't recall, but I'll scan it to see if that came up.
Could "Christine Thompson" come from a record for
Christin E Thompson?

Derek, wonderful news from your researcher. Doesn't help with the search for him in Norway, unfortunately, but does add much to your understanding of Christian's life.

Thank-you Jane,

I believe the names of Campanula were supplied by the parent company to her. The misnomer could have been entered in error by the sign writer.

DL. ;o) Malta. G.C.

Edited by - jungfigh on 18/02/2014 06:16:47
Go to Top of Page

jungfigh

Malta
326 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2014 :  10:56:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cousin Frank has posted this to me.

Well done Frank.

NB – Given that 3.jpg (army record)shows Cristian’s age as 33 years, 245 days and was apparently completed on 4 July 1916, we should be able to work out his precise date of birth, yes? (which I don’t think we have so far done) But 1.jpg was completed on (what appears to be) 31 JUL 1916. However, it still shows the same 33 years, 245 days. Given the manuscript amendments to the form it looks to me as if he enrolled on 4 July and joined (his unit) on 31 July. In which case his 33 years, 245 days would presumably apply as at 4 July 1916. What do you think?
…. which, having run it through http://www.timeanddate.com/date/dateadd.html (I was never good at sums!) calculates his birth date as 2 November 1882. But please cross-check in case I’ve got that wrong or used an incorrect assumption. (Why couldn’t they have asked is people’s birth dates!?) However, that birth date coincides exactly with one ………. Kristian Elias. Breakthrough?????!!!

YES indeed Frank. I have checked your mathematics with your marvellous link and agree. (also the old fashioned way...abacus)..! 2nd November, 1882 (not a leap year) was a Thursday.

The above dates come from Cristian's Army records. It is not a scientific account but his joining date is recorded (documented) as above.

Working back from that may be his apparent date of birth which matches Kristian Elias.

Cristian's Army records will be posted soon.

Exciting stuff.

DL. ;o) Malta. G.C.

Edited by - jungfigh on 19/02/2014 17:29:28
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2014 :  12:56:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah!
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2014 :  17:14:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah! Yes exciting!
Unsure why the apologies?

Go to Top of Page

jungfigh

Malta
326 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2014 :  17:30:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yeah! Yes exciting!
Unsure why the apologies?

Corrected now Jane..Ta..

DL. ;o) Malta. G.C.
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2014 :  17:58:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kristian Elias had a father Daniel; Cristian Tompson stated his father as Donald (on marriage record). Below, interesting comment made here on Norway Heritage today, by a person in the UK, about a person who is "Dan" and also "Donald." I'm reading this as a clue that "Daniel" and "Donald" indeed can be a Norwegian and English version of the same person. Well, that was discussed, but it's always good to see other examples.
http://www.norwayheritage.com/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5992

Edited by - JaneC on 19/02/2014 18:00:15
Go to Top of Page

jungfigh

Malta
326 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2014 :  19:10:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Kristian Elias had a father Daniel; Cristian Tompson stated his father as Donald (on marriage record). Below, interesting comment made here on Norway Heritage today, by a person in the UK, about a person who is "Dan" and also "Donald." I'm reading this as a clue that "Daniel" and "Donald" indeed can be a Norwegian and English version of the same person. Well, that was discussed, but it's always good to see other examples.
http://www.norwayheritage.com/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5992

Well spotted Jane.

My Inquiries with regard Donald are continuing.

DL. ;o) Malta. G.C.
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2014 :  19:31:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Derek,
what is your next step regarding the DNA track?
The grandson of Peder & Petra has been informed about this search, and was not averse to genetic testing. I'm awaiting a response from him.
Go to Top of Page

jungfigh

Malta
326 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2014 :  06:25:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning Jan Peter, likewise no reply from Svein Straume whom I e-mailed on 12th February. That's good news with regard Petra.

Cousin Frank and I will be choosing a Lab. for DNA purposes shortly, details of which will be posted here.

DL. ;o) Malta. G.C.

Edited by - jungfigh on 20/02/2014 10:48:48
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 54 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article