All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Christain Tromm
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 54

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2014 :  08:05:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Quite a few family members on Facebook, and listed in the online phone and address books. Let us know if you need help connecting.

Edited by - JaneC on 20/02/2014 16:56:10
Go to Top of Page

jungfigh

Malta
326 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2014 :  10:48:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
from my point Jane it's a nil desperandum attitude.

We will get there...I'm sure of that.

DL. ;o) Malta. G.C.
Go to Top of Page

FrankTompson
Starting member

United Kingdom
22 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2014 :  12:39:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Folks,

Further to Derek’s earlier posting I have tried to tidy up the records that have been photographed by Derek’s researcher, and posted them onto Flickr at https://www.flickr.com/photos/52194225@N06/sets/72157641249355745/

(There were too many to embed on the genealogy page so this seemed a reasonable option.)

The images all get lumped together, but if you mouse-over each one you will see the file name which I have given each to hopefully make it at least a bit more meaningful.

Many records are of little direct interest, (ie in providing evidence of Cristian’s origins) but I’ve uploaded them all. You never know if someone will spot a vital clue hiding somewhere! Some are of academic interest. (He was evidently recorded on one form as ‘Christopher’ for some reason.)

The main revelation I believe, and as Derek has already flagged-up, is potentially pinpointing Cristian’s birth date as 2 November 1882. The documents that suggest this to me are:

service_statement_19_0ct_19.jpg – ‘Called up for service … 4:7:16’
medical_history.jpg – ‘Declared Age… 33 years, 245 days’. ‘Enlisted…. on 4th day of July 1916.

However, before I get too carried away, these files show:

enrolment_acceptance_paper_31_jul-1916 – ‘What is your age? … 33 Years 245 days’ and is dated 31 JUL 1916.
joining_record_31_jul_1916 – ‘What is your age? … 33 Years 245 days’ and is dated 31 JUL 1916.

However, my suggestion is that the 33 years, 245 days has simply been transferred from an earlier source on these last two files, including medical_history.jpg.

Grateful if any of our wonderful contributors would advise if you think my logic is sound and that we can move forward on the basis that 2 November 1882 is at least highly likely to be Cristian’s birth date (in which case we have a direct match with Kristian Elias; a huge leap forward), or, just as importantly, I’ve made an unreasonable assumption in my observations.

Thanks,

Frank

Edited by - FrankTompson on 21/02/2014 15:29:40
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2014 :  15:04:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Really cool stuff. Lucky to have found the record since his name is incorrectly recorded as Christopher. To get the same birthdate on an otherwise error laden record is a boon. Concur with your logic about the date (even though the time / date calculator you linked to said that the actual date varies due to how the subtraction is done--interesting to know!)-- a person would not be the identical age 28 days after the initial recording, so I think we have a match!

The flickr worked for me although as you indicated the sizing of the documents was limited. The picasa didn't work at all for me as when I clicked on it it required an account name and password from Google.
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2014 :  18:12:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To view the flickr images in full size:

Edited by - jwiborg on 21/02/2014 17:18:23
Go to Top of Page

jungfigh

Malta
326 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2014 :  20:50:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by FrankTompson

Folks,

Further to Derek’s earlier posting I have tried to tidy up the records that have been photographed by Derek’s researcher, and posted them onto both:

Flickr at https://www.flickr.com/photos/52194225@N06/sets/72157641249355745/ and
Picasa at https://plus.google.com/photos/102259800174582794710/albums/5982087128926320721

(There were too many to embed on the genealogy page so this seemed a reasonable option.)

The images in both sites all get lumped together. In ‘Flickr’ if you mouse-over each one you will see the file name which I have given each to hopefully make it at least a bit more meaningful. However, when I tried I couldn’t easily increase the size. In ‘Picasa’ you can easily resize, but no file name - so take your pick! (I’ve tested both sites but if you have any viewing problem please let me know and I’ll fix.) The images are high resolution so at full size you can see a lot of detail, manuscript insertions etc.

Many records are of little direct interest, (ie in providing evidence of Cristian’s origins) but I’ve uploaded them all. You never know if someone will spot a vital clue hiding somewhere! Some are of academic interest. (He was evidently recorded on one form as ‘Christopher’ for some reason.)

The main revelation I believe, and as Derek has already flagged-up, is potentially pinpointing Cristian’s birth date as 2 November 1882. The documents that suggest this to me are:

service_statement_19_0ct_19.jpg – ‘Called up for service … 4:7:16’
medical_history.jpg – ‘Declared Age… 33 years, 245 days’. ‘Enlisted…. on 4th day of July 1916.

However, before I get too carried away, these files show:

enrolment_acceptance_paper_31_jul-1916 – ‘What is your age? … 33 Years 245 days’ and is dated 31 JUL 1916.
joining_record_31_jul_1916 – ‘What is your age? … 33 Years 245 days’ and is dated 31 JUL 1916.

However, my suggestion is that the 33 years, 245 days has simply been transferred from an earlier source on these last two files, including medical_history.jpg.

Grateful if any of our wonderful contributors would advise if you think my logic is sound and that we can move forward on the basis that 2 November 1882 is at least highly likely to be Cristian’s birth date (in which case we have a direct match with Kristian Elias; a huge leap forward), or, just as importantly, I’ve made an unreasonable assumption in my observations.

Thanks,

Frank

Thank-you for that cousin Frank.

I envy your IT talent.

DL. ;o) Malta. G.C.
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2014 :  23:05:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jungfigh

Good morning Jan Peter, likewise no reply from Svein Straume whom I e-mailed on 12th February. That's good news with regard Petra.

Cousin Frank and I will be choosing a Lab. for DNA purposes shortly, details of which will be posted here.

I'm a rookie regarding the DNA-stuff, but have done a little investigation and read what others say in various forums and webpages, incl. this forum. So if I should recommend something; I think I would have considered the Y-DNA37 or Y-DNA67 @ http://www.familytreedna.com/products.aspx
Go to Top of Page

jungfigh

Malta
326 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2014 :  05:56:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Like you Jan Peter both Frank and I are also rookies. We have done a lot of research though.

Even if we get no replies from our Norwegian hopefuls I believe Frank will go ahead to have his DNA (male line) extracted and recorded.

That should take care of the English Tomson connection.

DL. ;o) Malta. G.C.
Go to Top of Page

FrankTompson
Starting member

United Kingdom
22 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2014 :  15:35:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks to Jan Peter for the explanation of how to resize in Flickr (why couldn't I see that ?) which I think now meets the need pretty well.

(Despite battling with Picasa I've given up trying to publish publicly (ie completely publicly without the need for a Google account), and have amended my original post to reflect this.
Go to Top of Page

FrankTompson
Starting member

United Kingdom
22 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2014 :  12:52:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, been having a think, and I’ll nail my colours to the mast and say I’m now in agreement with others that Kristian Elias Danielson Stromme is our man. I’ve emailed Derek off-line and he also agrees.

• From my father’s scrappy piece of paper, ‘Volden’ (now Volda) is an exact match and ‘Stromme’ is a very close match with ‘Thromme’
• Too much fits from Jackie’s original 02/11/2013 posting on Page 14 and subsequent contributions to make this a coincidence
• The Army birth date record exactly matching the online record clinches the deal

So, we now appear to have:

1. Original name
2. Date of birth
3. Place of birth
4. Parents, brothers and sisters
5. Something about his Army career
6. Some things about his civil life
7. How and when he died
[8. Other things I’ve not identified]

That is quite a lot!

I am keen to do the DNA test as what it seems to me we lack is:

a. ‘Absolute’ certainty about the detail above
b. Information on his descendants in Norway (and relations in the USA?), who they are, where they are living, what they have got up to in their lives, and any anecdotes that may have been passed down about Kristian.

So, a response from the grandson of Peder and Petra Stromme and Svein Ragnar Straume is eagerly awaited so we have someone to match with me in a Y-STR DNA test. However, if we don’t get a response there seems little point in doing so, as, to quote from http://genealogy.about.com/od/dna_genetics/p/y_dna.htm - “Y-DNA results have no real meaning when taken on their own. The value comes in comparing your specific results, or haplotype, with other individuals to whom you think you are related to see how many of your markers match.”

Anyways, fingers crossed for a response from one or both. Derek and I have agreed to go with FTDNA for the test assuming it goes ahead.

Any comments on the above welcome from our genealogy family

Cheers,

Frank
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2014 :  15:58:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This all sounds very well thought out. One could hardly have said it better, nor come to more solid and sensible conclusions.
Kudos! Thank you for posting all the records and sharing all these plans, and for welcoming comments, as I think your genealogy family got rather invested in this project! As for waiting, for many things in life, there's no time like the present, yet I see your point about waiting for your own test, Frank.

I found it interesting that Cristian's Army record was found filed under Christopher. A long series of misrepresentations of facts about Cristian has plagued this search. It is very much to Derek's credit, and yours too, that the project has come so far.

Crossing fingers!

Edited by - JaneC on 22/02/2014 17:29:20
Go to Top of Page

jungfigh

Malta
326 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2014 :  21:30:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well put Frank.

Thank-you Jane.

DL. ;o) Malta. G.C.
Go to Top of Page

jungfigh

Malta
326 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2014 :  11:58:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In searching for any additional information I could find on Cristian, I came across this. I thought the proper genealogists amongst us may find useful in their research:

http://www.stepshort.co.uk

DL. ;o) Malta. G.C.

Edited by - jungfigh on 25/02/2014 13:11:45
Go to Top of Page

jungfigh

Malta
326 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2014 :  11:13:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning everybody,

I haven't forgotten Cristian's thread.

I'm still waiting for a few 'loose end' inquiries to arrive.

Cousin Frank has decided he will not undertake his DNA test until/unless we/he gets a possible Norwegian candidate as a possible match to his male line.

I will take this opportunity to thank-you all for assisting in, what has turned out to be, a marathon endeavour.

We're not quite finished yet..!

DL. ;o) Malta. G.C.

Edited by - jungfigh on 07/03/2014 16:06:01
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2014 :  16:16:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Derek.
This is the longest lasting topic in this forum and I have read every posting.
I wish I could have contributed more
I wish you good luck from the bottom of my hearth.

Kåre
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 54 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article