All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Christain Tromm
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 54

jungfigh

Malta
326 Posts

Posted - 28/02/2015 :  10:11:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have made exhaustive inquiries with regard 'Donald Thompson' the alleged father of Kristian...to Maud. As shewn on their wedding certificate. Unfortunately calls by telephone, and on-line searches have proved inconclusive..It would appear that in the early 20th Century this was a 'norm' .

I still find this hard to believe.

Answers please experts.

DL. ;o) Malta. G.C.
Go to Top of Page

FrankTompson
Starting member

United Kingdom
22 Posts

Posted - 28/02/2015 :  11:08:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry Derek, what was 'a norm' you refer to? Can you give us all a bit more context, I've slight lost the plot with where we are/looking to go with Donald.

Cheers,

Frank
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 28/02/2015 :  11:14:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Derek; If "Donald Thompson" is equal to Daniel Johannes Danielson Strømme (1854-1942), there would be no records of him in UK archives. So the fact that your exhaustive inquiries ends up with nothing, is a good indication that "Donald Thompson" was not a UK citizen.

To progress: Could there exist some hidden clues in your old papers, or other family members? Have you checked with all descendants?

As said earlier; There are hundreds of clues pointing towards Christian Elias Danielsen Strømme from Volda in this case, I doubt you will find a better match within the next 10 years.

And as you remember, the farm history book for Volda said this about the two brothers:
Ananias Johannes (13 Feb 1880 - ?). "Travelled to England. Married and settled there".
Kristian Elias (02 Nov 1882 - 1918). "Travelled to America. Dead 1918".
It looks like the fate of the brothers are mixed, but we don't know 100% for sure.

How perfect would it be, to find a record of Ananias Johannes Danielsen Strømme in the US?
Annanias Strømme was a sailor in census-1900. No records have been located of him after this census.

Ref my previous postings about Annanias, info given by one of the descendants of Alfred Straume, Kristian's younger brother:

The descendant had been pondering about these brothers for years. His thoughts is that the first editor (Aarviknes) mixed up on the brothers; probably Daniel Johannes og Ananias Johannes.(But he later says it could be Kristian and Ananias...)
And that the fault had been copied over to the new volume.
It was only one of Alfreds daughters (Kari) that remembered the marriage in England (or rather "Shetland or Orkney islands" ?), but she was already quite ill when the book came out.
She said her uncle drowned on the sea when she was a little girl, and that they had received a letter from the widow, in english, asking for help to the children whom she now was alone with.
But she was quite sure that the book had it wrong, she ment that it was Ananias that died in America. The story about him is that he was heading home to Norway, left a train on the homeward trip, and was hit by a crossing train in the next lane.
As they had understood it, the English family should have been a fishing family on the islands, and that he drowned while fishing. The people who received the letter was Daniel and his second wife Synnøve.

The descendant did not know where Ananias was run over by the train, other than it was in America. It could have been "Buffalo", but he could not find any source for that.

Edited by - jwiborg on 28/02/2015 13:21:57
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 28/02/2015 :  13:22:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm with Frank on this - I too have lost the plot, the rationale behind a search for a Donald Thompson. Jan Peter makes a good point too.

This thread is titled, "Christian Tromm." First post in the thread contains this line: "I have been told that Tromm translates into English, or was changed to Thompson." So your line of the family knew that Christian's original birth name was NOT Thompson. Frank's branch of the family agrees. Frank shared his "scrappy paper" with Christian's birth name, and it was not Thompson (it was Christain Thromme I think). Christian's father could be someone who changed his name at a later date, I suppose, to McGillicuddy or Thompson or Peabody, or anything. Any person could conceivably do that. But the father's name cannot be Thompson when Christian was born; Christian was not born Thompson. Ergo, the Donald Thompson of Scotland, found in the 1871 census in England, is not Christian's father. The father can't be "Thompson" at that point.

As you can see, I take the "scrappy paper" very seriously.

Another problem with Donald Thompson of Scotland is that he is Scottish.

Again consider that a Norwegian man would typically give his first-born son the name of his father. This could be an honorary name, not a calling name (not the name by which the boy is called). Christian gave his first-born a middle name of "Daniel."

Frustrating not to find Christian's origins. We're all with you on that. I realize contributors in the forum can't feel as you do, care as much - but we're close. You've certainly engaged our interest and hearts in this project.

Edited by - JaneC on 28/02/2015 14:14:29
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 28/02/2015 :  14:24:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All the clues about Christian found in English records are what led us to Christian Elias Danielson Stromme. We didn't put Christain Thompson into a database somewhere and out popped the result. It was bit by bit building out from what was the starting point. Based on the records we have seen he cannot be someone else.
Go to Top of Page

jungfigh

Malta
326 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2015 :  11:15:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by FrankTompson

Sorry Derek, what was 'a norm' you refer to? Can you give us all a bit more context, I've slight lost the plot with where we are/looking to go with Donald.

Cheers,

Frank

My apologies Frank,

I'm trying to obtain a link from Donald Thompson to his wife, Kristian's mother.

The 'Norm' I refer to is that during the 19th-20th centuries many people...mainly men adopted pseudonyms...for a number of personal reasons. ( i.e. AKA) During those days documentary evidence was not as prolific as it is today...An example: Our Grandfather is recorded as Christine Thompson in the Sailors Church, Ramsgate...after being killed in 'Campanula'...1920.
That is now cast in stone. ( or at least on the Honours Board) within. ( So is He a She to visitors)..? We know differently..!

Others displayed on the Menin Gate, Belgium, also shew AKA names who were either too young to join the colours, or through a misdemeanour did not wish to to verify their correct names.

DL. ;o) Malta. G.C.

Edited by - jungfigh on 02/03/2015 09:52:43
Go to Top of Page

jungfigh

Malta
326 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2015 :  13:00:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JaneC

For the record, Christian Thompson never used the woman's name Christine as a pseudonym. A pseudonym is an alternate name knowingly and purposefully adopted by a living person. Christian had died when his name was accidentally misstated by a random stranger in a report. Also for the record, the adoption of pseudonyms between the years 1800-1999 was not a norm in any Western culture and no evidence of any such norm has been advanced here. I don't know which Donald Thompson Derek means; Donald Thompson is a name on a marriage license, but which of the proposed identities is meant remains unclarified. Discussing the meaning of the word pseudonym and debating non-existent "norms" seems a little wide of the mark as to making progress in this thread, but at the same time, it's tough to leave our beloved English language and 19th-20th century history alone here, misused and undefended!

Thank-you Jane,

I am fully aware of my language and its variations.

DL. ;o) Malta. G.C.
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2015 :  14:26:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I guess that for you to progress, it's not necessary for the forum to understand what you meant or who you called or wrote, on what mission regarding which Donald Thompson. Main idea is: you're still interested in knowing Christian's heritage. Jan Peter posted some good points and excellent advice. That's about it.
Cheers,
Jane

Edited by - JaneC on 02/03/2015 15:15:29
Go to Top of Page

jungfigh

Malta
326 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2015 :  17:23:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank-you once more Jane...

That's about it hey..?

Thank-you so much for your input over the years.

I remain, yours sincerely,

Derek. Malta. G.C.

DL. ;o) Malta. G.C.
Go to Top of Page

FrankTompson
Starting member

United Kingdom
22 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2015 :  12:17:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks folks. Agree all on page 49.
Go to Top of Page

jungfigh

Malta
326 Posts

Posted - 19/03/2015 :  11:02:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by FrankTompson

Thanks folks. Agree all on page 49.

I'm not admitting defeat on my latest quest, but, I have 'run' into a brick-wall after extensive inquiries to establish who was Kristian's Father

DL. ;o) Malta. G.C.
Go to Top of Page

jungfigh

Malta
326 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2015 :  09:10:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Since my last posting I have continued in the search for Kristian's biological Father...it appears he was as enigmatic (more-so) than his Son...the search goes on...watch this space..!

DL. ;o) Malta. G.C.
Go to Top of Page

jungfigh

Malta
326 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2015 :  06:43:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another month on...since my last post I have been undertaking further inquiries with regard Kristian's Father...No luck..!... I must be missing something here...HELP..!

DL. ;o) Malta. G.C.
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2015 :  08:25:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Derek did you ever "uphgrade" your genetic test?
Go to Top of Page

jungfigh

Malta
326 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2015 :  10:42:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jkmarler

Derek did you ever "uphgrade" your genetic test?

Good morning Jackie,

No.

DL. ;o) Malta. G.C.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 54 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article