All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Christain Tromm
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 54

jungfigh

Malta
326 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2013 :  11:30:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Through various contributors I have managed to trace my Grandmother Maud's Birth, Marriage and Death certificates. Hard copies are being despatched from England.

Thank-you all once again for your tremendous input in my quest.

I remain, yours faithfully,

Derek Lawbuary. Malta. G.C.

DL. ;o) Malta. G.C.
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 17/09/2013 :  05:24:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Post pertninent details when they come available, okay?
Go to Top of Page

jungfigh

Malta
326 Posts

Posted - 17/09/2013 :  05:54:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Definitely: A delivery date has been given as the 7th October.

DL. ;o) Malta. G.C.
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 17/09/2013 :  17:09:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I haven't been able to eliminate the following Kristian from Løten:

1900 Census last names starting with trøm, the only family with a Kristian of approximately the right birthyear:
http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/WebCens.exe?slag=visbase&sidenr=2&filnamn=f00415&gardpostnr=329&personpostnr=1952&merk=1952#ovre

Kristian Johansen Trømnæs #21, b 23 Dec 1885:
Source information: Hedmark county, Løten, Parish register copy nr. 6 (1892-1909), Confirmation records 1900, page 220.
Permanent pagelink: http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=6027&idx_id=6027&uid=ny&idx_side=-211

Trømnæs in 1910:
http://digitalarkivet.arkivverket.no/ft/person/pf01036399005002

I didn't find him in the 1910 census either by birthdate or by name Kristian Johansen. There were 3 or 4 Kristian Johansens in Løten death records but none with a birthdate or year like his. Also doesn't appear to be in the utflyttedes from the parish.
Go to Top of Page

jungfigh

Malta
326 Posts

Posted - 18/09/2013 :  12:10:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I cannot thank-you enough for your stalwart efforts on my behalf jkmarler. It really is so much appreciated.

I am, yours sincerely,

DL. ;o) Malta. G.C.

Edited by - jungfigh on 18/09/2013 12:10:34
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 18/09/2013 :  20:02:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
These are the possibilities I found, at first glance. Have not checked the 1910 census to rule them out...

1) Kristian Tomasen, Dayworker, born 1883 Nesj Hedemarken, residence Gjøvik, Oppland
2) Thomas Christian Thomassen, Mechanical apprentice, born 1883, residence Kristiansand, Vest-Agder
3) Kristen Tomassen, Farm work, born 1884, residence Selbu, Sør-Trøndelag IN NORWAY 1910
4) Ole Kristian Tomassen, Tailor apprentice, born 1883, reidence Grong, Nord-Trøndelag
5) Theodor Kristian Tomassen, Farm work, born 1884, residence Nord-Rana, Nordland
6) Kristian Tomassen, Mechanical work, born 1882 Bodø Nordland, residece Skjerstad, Nordland

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page

jungfigh

Malta
326 Posts

Posted - 18/09/2013 :  21:41:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Once again invaluable Jan Peter: If only I could get something on an official document from England to match one of these.

DL. ;o) Malta. G.C.
Go to Top of Page

jungfigh

Malta
326 Posts

Posted - 19/09/2013 :  19:14:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This link: http://www.michaelsbookshop.com/orw/id4.htm will take you to the church In Ramsgate where Christian & Maud were believed to be married.

DL. ;o) Malta. G.C.
Go to Top of Page

jungfigh

Malta
326 Posts

Posted - 20/09/2013 :  10:32:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have posted photographs of Maud, on her own and Christian with the seven children to the sites web-master to upload for me. No response. Please let me know if the scan wasn't received.

I remain yours in anticipation,

DL. ;o) Malta. G.C.
Go to Top of Page

David Yaw
Medium member

United Kingdom
128 Posts

Posted - 20/09/2013 :  13:28:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jwiborg

These are the possibilities I found, at first glance. Have not checked the 1910 census to rule them out...

1) Kristian Tomasen, Dayworker, born 1883 Nesj Hedemarken, residence Gjøvik, Oppland
2) Thomas Christian Thomassen, Mechanical apprentice, born 1883, residence Kristiansand, Vest-Agder
3) Kristen Tomassen, Farm work, born 1884, residence Selbu, Sør-Trøndelag IN NORWAY 1910
4) Ole Kristian Tomassen, Tailor apprentice, born 1883, reidence Grong, Nord-Trøndelag
5) Theodor Kristian Tomassen, Farm work, born 1884, residence Nord-Rana, Nordland
6) Kristian Tomassen, Mechanical work, born 1882 Bodø Nordland, residece Skjerstad, Nordland

Jan Peter

Derek, is it useful to consider how and when Christian ended up in Ramsgate and marrying there ?? It's not a place like say Hull or Newcastle with obvious Norwegian connections. JKMarler's earlier post on the Norwegian census gives Christian's occupation as "Kok paa Dampskip", which I guess means "cook on a steamship" - at least a seaman. I looked to see if the there are "sjomannsroller" seaman's records for Bergen, but found none.

He doesn't appear in the 1901 UK census, and so presumably came between then and a few months (weeks even ??) before his marriage in third quarter 1903. Have you checked to see if their marriage was preceded by banns read in the church there ?? Just might have an address. If not, hopefully the marriage certificate will have it,as well as name of his father.

A long shot maybe. The 1901 UK census has a Norwegian vessel in port of Ramsgate on the night the census was taken, 31 March 1901. Record difficult to read, but looks like she was the Norwegian registered sailing ship "Liv", home port "Lausing", which I can't find on any map. What is clear is that the master was Ole Christian Andreassen, with an all Norwegian crew. Local newspaper records often published details of vessels arriving and leaving port, so a search might give a clue whether this was a one-off voyage or part of a regular route or indeed other vessels making this call. Maybe our Norwegian friends can trace either the vessel or master, just might give a clue as to its/his origins..
Go to Top of Page

David Yaw
Medium member

United Kingdom
128 Posts

Posted - 20/09/2013 :  13:43:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jungfigh

Once again invaluable Jan Peter: If only I could get something on an official document from England to match one of these.

Derek, the parish transcript of their wedding shows that Christian aged 20 occupation fisherman was living at Bloomsbury Rd at the time of the marriage, as was Maud aged 18.

Christian's father is named as Donald Tompson, no address, occupation carpenter. Doesn't sound a very common Norwegian Christian name - but might help our Norwegian friends in searching for him in the Norwegian records.

Maud's father listed as Thomas Fast, occupation fisherman.

Unfortunately, its beyond my IT skills to post a copy of the record here, but I could e-mail it to you.
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 21/09/2013 :  03:27:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Donald would be an exceedingly uncommon first name in Norway. Perhaps Christian's family including father came from Norway to England and are to be found in the 1901 census?

Few Donald but there are lots of first names which contain "ald" in Norway. Perhaps Donald is an adaptation from one of those names.
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 21/09/2013 :  05:00:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is what the Norsk Maritime Museum web page has for sail ships of the name Liv. There were 5 listings but the last two concerned the finding of the word liv in the descriptions and not what the ship was called. None of the captain's names appear to match the 1901 census finding.:

LIV18..Vikkilen, Grimstad, NorgeNasjonalitet:
Norsk
Type:Skip
Material:Tre
Byggeår:18..
Shipyard:Salve Johnsen
Construction site:
Vikkilen, Grimstad, Norge
Home: Grimstad

LIV ex britisk EAST ANGLIAN1876Pt. GlasgowNasjonalitet:
NorskType:Bark
Material: Jern/stål
Byggeår:1876
Shipyard:Robt. Duncan & Co.
Byggenr:106
Construction site:Pt. Glasgow
tonnage:912 brt, 797 netto
Mål:197,3 - 32,6 - 19,4
Home: Larvik 1896-1912
Owners: Chr. Nielsen 1896-1901 Chr. Nielsen & Co. 1901-12 (A/S Liv)
Skipsførere:A. H. Larsen 1896-1903 L. R. Farup 1903-06 Alfr. Nielsen 1906-12
Endelig skjebne:
Solgt Uruguay 1912, forandret til CLAVO. Avrigget 1912 i Motevideo, opprigget 1916, forandret til CLAVO

picture and other information from Sjøhistorie website:
http://www.sjohistorie.no/skip/l/1351715781.98

LIV1859Porsgrunn, NorgeNasjonalitet:Norsk
Type:Bark
Material:Tre
Byggeår:1859
Construction site:Porsgrunn,
Norgetonnage:264 brt, 246 nettoMål:106 -2 26 - 12,4 DNV
Ombygginger:Ombygget 1880 i Tønsberg
Home:Tønsberg -1864, -1897/98 Larvik 1897/98-1903Owners:Joh. Harbitz -1897/98 H. Corneliussen 1897/98-1903
Skipsførere:A. Svendsen 1864 Corneliussen -1903 H. A. Ditmansen L. A. Larsen 1889-98 H. Isaksen 1898-Farter:Trelastfart på Canadas østkyst
Endelig skjebne:Douglas, Isle of Man - Larvik. Ballast. Til ankers. Strandet, vrak 1903 10/10 Fleetwood Road

Edited by - jkmarler on 21/09/2013 06:48:59
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 21/09/2013 :  21:12:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is a challenge!

Donald Tompson is for sure not a Norwegian name. I wonder what "Donald" could have been in Norway?
Did Cristian Tompson apply for naturalisation as a British citizen?

Jan Peter

Edited by - jwiborg on 21/09/2013 21:36:08
Go to Top of Page

jungfigh

Malta
326 Posts

Posted - 22/09/2013 :  07:01:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JaneC

Derek, I also haven't succeeded in teaching myself how to upload a photo to this forum. Here's a workaround - a free image hosting site. You can upload your jpg here and then post a link.
http://tinypic.com/

Thank-you Jane. Most kind.

When in the RN my speciality was weapons & explosives. Working with them never phased me, but, the vagaries of IT...well..!

DL. ;o) Malta. G.C.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 54 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article