All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Christain Tromm
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 54

jungfigh

Malta
326 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2016 :  09:35:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jungfigh

quote:
Originally posted by jwiborg

quote:

I've attempted on many occasion to contact David J Morgan...Negative. I'll have another go.
I have also on several occations tried to contact David J. Morgan, His website has not been updated for years, and his flickr account seemed also to be sleeping. Until now. He has some updated pictures on flickr from last summer, taken of his dog Darwin, pictured in Kingsgate bay, which is next to Ramsgate. Maybe try to add a comment to the picture, and see if he respond?
https://www.flickr.com/photos/tz1_1zt/17993086442

Good morning Jan Peter. David replied to my posting:

Hello Derek,

That sounds like my photo, this one www.flickr.com/photos/tz1_1zt/2061965557/

Yes I also have photos of Venners on my flickr account, my maternal grandmother was a Venner. They are all here on flickr - www.flickr.com/photos/tz1_1zt/albums/72157603292462613

I'll speak with my Mum, she has lots of information on her side of the family and can identify the people in the photos. The Venners certainly came from Ramsgate, my grandmother worked in service at Quex house when she was young.

It's a strange coincidence that the photo you commented on was taken where we holiday in Kingsgate, at a place that my wife's family have, and it's just miles from where my grandmother was born.

Regards,

David

Your message;
Hello David...nice action shot of Darwin.
Are you the David J Morgan who supplied the monochrome photo of 'Great Aunt Maud' page 1 in www.norwegianheritage.com ...also the 'Venner family'..?
If so we may be 2nd cousins..? Great aunt Maud was my Maternal Grandmother. My aunt Chrissie married a Venner.
Sincerely,
Derek Lawbuary, Ex Brights Place, Ramsgate.
Now Malta. G.C.
Thank-you Jan Peter...done that. Let's hope he responds.

He did...another link in a very long chain..!

DL. ;o) Malta. G.C.
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2016 :  13:12:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Good morning Jan Peter. David replied to my posting:

That's great! It will be interesting to hear what his mother knows...
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2016 :  14:59:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another suggestion made that was passed by was to make a list of places called Volden.

Here is a start at such a list.
http://digitalarkivet.arkivverket.no/sok/eiendom?s=volden

I searched Digital Archives for places, not people, using the word Volden. One would use the search bar to enter similar terms, such as Wolden, Volda, etc. Each place has a specific church book that could be searched for a November 1882 birth. The archives seem daunting at first, but honestly it wouldn't take long to feel comfortable. The forum has a couple people in particular who give a lot of help to people who want to learn to do their own research.

This approach is not to everyone's taste. But at the moment, you have volunteer helpers standing between you and the actual searches. Might be some relief/enjoyment in entering into the search in Norway, first hand. But again, not everyone chooses or feels equipped for that direct approach, and that's what Norway Heritage Forum is all about. This note simply is trying to address any possible, unexpressed concern about not knowing how.

Edited by - JaneC on 29/01/2016 15:03:36
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2016 :  16:32:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As you all might remember; Volda in Møre & Romsdal was up until 1918 named Volden.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volda
Go to Top of Page

jungfigh

Malta
326 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2016 :  19:09:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JaneC

quote:

quote:

Some suggestions:

2) Review this thread, maybe print it out? and use a highlighter to note every instance of a suggestion not followed up on or responded to. For example, the suggestion to question Christian's descendants above and beyond Frank. Perhaps this was done, but no comment posted in the thread. Let us know (review for us) what suggestions remain to pursue and update (again, as you wish or if you wish).

Good morning Jane,

Thank-you.

Frank and I are the longest link..(.so I believe) within the Tompson clan...I don't believe there are any attics left to discover our history...Our Mother's and Father's, and relatives have died. On my behalf I cleared out all of my Mothers, Daisy, and Aunt Marge's attic..Negative... I can't speak for Frank. The other children of Kristian and Maud: Christine died early. Aunt Tish was next followed by Uncle Tim Aunt Rose and uncle Frank, then mother, lastly, aunt Marge.

I thought you said you and Frank are the only living descendants of Christian. The suggestion to identify Christian's descendants and question them was made several times with no response before it was finally put to rest by this post.
If there are others in addition to David, they may have information, or a photo taken In Norway with a photographer's logo, or a revealing memento like a postcard, or who knows what. Someone out there (someone like David's mum) might even know the whereabouts of your aunt's journal. T'were my project, talking to cousins would be a first step.

And yes, agree with Jan Peter, David's report will be interesting and welcome.

It was only this day Jane that I established from David that he was connected to the Venner's. My aunt Chrissie who married John Venner would have been about 14 years of age when Kristian was killed. I don't know of any children from that marriage. 27 years later Chrissie died. David states that his Great Grandmother was a Venner. It is possible she knew 'Great Aunt Maud'. It is a very tenuous link through Chrissie via Kristian down to David. Therefore I stand by "Frank and I are the longest link..(.so I believe) within the Tompson clan..." Frank is still the strongest link (paternally)...I'm next (maternally). My sister is deceased. That leaves cousin Frank's sister and her children...David will be a long way down the line.

DL. ;o) Malta. G.C.
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2016 :  21:29:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah, I see. That makes it very clear. Thanks Derek. So that is one of a number of contributing causes of not knowing Christian's origins, that there are only three in your generation of descendants - very few people who might have a memory or note or artifact. Shucks.

Yes, about Volda/Volden, I had remembered Volda in Møre og Romsdal was called Volden. But Derek is inclined to continue on and search another candidate, with understandable reason, so I was brainstorming about how a person could DO that, given the exhaustive search already undertaken.

No comment on the idea to "search every Volden, ford every stream," which I take to mean the idea still does not put a twinkle in any one's eye...

Edited by - JaneC on 29/01/2016 21:39:50
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2016 :  00:46:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not sure if this family tree has been commented before?
Clicking on Cristian Tompson, the owner of the tree has some thoughts about his origin:

Birth: 1883 in Norway.
Death: 1 JAN 1920 in At sea off Kent, England.
Note:
Original spelling may have been Kristian Thomesen, but several Kent families used Tompson ??? Note that the normal Norwegian spelling had Th in front ?? Possible ID is a Kristian Thomesen, born 1882-7-23, Christening 1882-8-27 in Halden, Ostfold, Norway, which is abot 60 miles south of Oslo, next to the border with Sweden.
Marriage certificate:- Thanet 2a 2093 1903(Sept).
In 1911, aged 28, with Maud and 5 daughters, in Ramsgate.
Killed when he caught a mine in his fishing net.

The owner of the tree seems to be David Measday measday@physics.ubc.ca
Unfortunately, he seems to have passed away just before last christmas.

Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2016 :  05:26:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Birth of Kristian Thomesen
27 July 1882 in Halden, Østfold
link

I don't recall if he was researched previously, but birth date is not a good fit.

Edited by - JaneC on 30/01/2016 05:37:07
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2016 :  10:55:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Birth of Kristian Thomesen
27 July 1882 in Halden, Østfold
link

I don't recall if he was researched previously, but birth date is not a good fit.

Back on page 19, whew, this candidate was discussed. Copying and pasting my then findings:

"KRISTIAN THOMESEN b Halden 1882-07-23 there is a Kristian Berg b Tistedalen on that date in the 1910 census. Tistedalen is now a neighborhood in Halden, originally started some 4 km from the center of Halden."
Go to Top of Page

jungfigh

Malta
326 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2016 :  11:16:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Not sure if this family tree has been commented before?
Clicking on Cristian Tompson, the owner of the tree has some thoughts about his origin:

Birth: 1883 in Norway.
Death: 1 JAN 1920 in At sea off Kent, England.
Note:
Original spelling may have been Kristian Thomesen, but several Kent families used Tompson ??? Note that the normal Norwegian spelling had Th in front ?? Possible ID is a Kristian Thomesen, born 1882-7-23, Christening 1882-8-27 in Halden, Ostfold, Norway, which is abot 60 miles south of Oslo, next to the border with Sweden.
Marriage certificate:- Thanet 2a 2093 1903(Sept).
In 1911, aged 28, with Maud and 5 daughters, in Ramsgate.
Killed when he caught a mine in his fishing net.

The owner of the tree seems to be David Measday measday@physics.ubc.ca
Unfortunately, he seems to have passed away just before last christmas.

Excellent research Jan Peter. Intriguing reading with a few minor discrepancies.
Such a shame that Dr. Measday has died. I wonder why he did research on the Thompson/Lawbuary's. I note his wife's nee name is Norbury.
A very clever and industrious man all the same.

DL. ;o) Malta. G.C.

Edited by - jungfigh on 30/01/2016 13:48:58
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2016 :  19:25:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Excellent research Jan Peter. Intriguing reading with a few minor discrepancies.
Such a shame that Dr. Measday has died. I wonder why he did research on the Thompson/Lawbuary's. I note his wife's nee name is Norbury.
Here you can read about the Measday's. David and his genealogy research is mentioned. Maybe you can find the link to your family in the text.
Btw; Davis seems to have passed away from cancer in late May last year, based on the time of these comments.
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2016 :  20:17:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kristian Haug in census-1900 for Fredrikshald (Halden). He is a petty Officer pupil at Fredriksten fortress.

His parents and siblings in census-1900 for Fredrikshald (Halden).

Kristian Haug in census-1910 for Idd. Many with the name of Tomasen in the same household, incl his widowed mother Trine Tomasen.

I'm confident that Kristian Haug = Kristian Thomesen, but to be 100% sure one should locate his marriage record with Olga Jensdatter. In 1910, although his lastname has become Haug, he lives with the mother and all siblings of Kristian Thomesen.
Thus; I believe Kristian Thomesen, born 1882-7-23 stayed in Norway.
Go to Top of Page

jungfigh

Malta
326 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2016 :  16:15:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Here you can read about the Measday's. David and his genealogy research is mentioned. Maybe you can find the link to your family in the text.
Btw; Davis seems to have passed away from cancer in late May last year, based on the time of these comments.

Phew..! What a read. A superbly put together ( with expanding click-ons ) piece.

A lot of midnight oil burnt here. I think I've covered it all but I can't find the connection between the Fast's and Thompson's to the Measday's although they are mentioned within.

I'll pore over it again.

DL. ;o) Malta. G.C.
Go to Top of Page

jungfigh

Malta
326 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2016 :  07:39:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Still can't find the link. Anybody..?

DL. ;o) Malta. G.C.
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2016 :  10:19:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I also didn't find the link with your family in the base, and as far as it goes what he has in it concerning Christian Tompson has already been discredited as the candidate he thought looked good for it remained in Norway, the actual connection may go back far into the mists of time and only be on female lines, thus no help at all re your Norwegian ancestry.

Derek since the genetic results are what has caused this "crisis in confidence" have you updated the genetic test to include the autosomal which Jane mentioned sometime ago?

Did you join the Norway DNA effort to which you were invited within the last few pages or so?

I'm putting in a link to someone else's experience with an NPE, you might want to follow some of the advised steps there to resolve your issue:
http://dna-explained.com/2013/09/29/why-dont-i-match-my-cousin/

Edited by - jkmarler on 21/02/2016 10:45:58
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 54 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article