All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Christain Tromm
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 54

jungfigh

Malta
326 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2016 :  08:23:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jkmarler

Yes, I think there was some discussion about Daniel's death re getting his probate record. Not sure if I can find it quickly or not but will look for it.

Here is his data frm DIS gravminner I Norge:
3839769 Daniel Johannes D. Straume 1509 1854 2811 1942 0312 1942 E 5 8 Leirshaugen Volda

It says he died 28 Nov 1942 and was buried 3 Ded 1942 in a cemetery called Leirshaugen in plot identified as E 5 8 in the Volda parish.

A man with more than one watch is never really sure what time it is:
SAT, Ministerialprotokoller, klokkerbøker og fødselsregistre - Møre og Romsdal, 511/L0140: Parish register (official) no. 511A07, 1851-1878, p. 27
Quick link: https://media.digitalarkivet.no/en/kb20070327650442

http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:NBN:no-a1450-kb20070327650442.jpg

Looks like Daniel Johannes Danielsen was actually born on 1 Sept 1854, different from the date in the 1910 census transcription and the headstone transcription at DIS.

Do you know if Derek got some interpretive help from his most recent DNA test?

Thank-you all for your contributions...I have been AWOL for a while as terrible things 'happened' to my PC...(like me it's an ageing thing but I'm used to it)..! All appears OK now.

No Jackie I didn't get any help with regard interpretation of my results. (I can understand now why cousin Frank had so many problems).

I have had 'we've found a latest match' messages with people listed from all over...they don't seem to make much sense either...Hey-Ho..!

DL. ;o) Malta. G.C.
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2016 :  19:10:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay so who are the matches from the Norway DNA project? We might be able to "reverse engineer" who their ancestors were to see where your possible matches come from...
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 31/07/2016 :  04:25:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, there are 4 obvious Norwegian ancestors listed, 2 from NordTrondelag, 2 from Hordaland. I don't know if you descend from any of them. There are three that match you exactly (genetic distance 0) but only one of them is obviously Norwegian (Lars Johansen Lysberg).

I still don't understand what you've got there but you are able to click on one of the icons to mail to the person who matches. It doesn't appear strong though as you have only a 12 markers. But you can write them to see if they know of any descendants of the particular ancestor in Volda or Nordland.

It might not be the best to have posted your account number and the password as there are lots of folks who have evil intentions who might welcome the information and also it might be violating the site's privacy regulations.

Your one "haplogroup" R-M269 is the most common European male group according to this article, 100 million European men strong:
https://gap.familytreedna.com/media/docs/2013/Hammer_M269_Diversity_in_Europe.pdf

The Norway DNA project page has a lot of explanatory information. This article is quite interesting on determining if matches mean you are related or not:
https://dna-explained.com/2016/01/06/we-matchbut-are-we-related/
The author suggests testing for at least 67 markers and as much as 111 if budget allows.

There is a forum there (for Norway DNA project) where you can post and get responses from experts about what you have at the site, also. Someone has already entered a basic question about what R-M269 means. Maybe you should try posting there rather than relying on people like me who understand the genealogy but not necessarily DNA aspects. It appears way more complicated than I imagined.

Edited by - jkmarler on 31/07/2016 14:52:23
Go to Top of Page

jungfigh

Malta
326 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2016 :  15:59:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank-you Jackie,

As suggested article removed.

My apologies for being AWOL for so long as I have spent the past 9 weeks in hospital after a hip replacement.

I've a lot of catch-up to do..!

DL. ;o) Malta. G.C.

Edited by - jungfigh on 09/10/2016 20:21:30
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2016 :  16:19:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome back!
Go to Top of Page

jungfigh

Malta
326 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2016 :  12:15:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Welcome back!

Thank-you Jackie..!

DL. ;o) Malta. G.C.
Go to Top of Page

jungfigh

Malta
326 Posts

Posted - 19/12/2016 :  07:33:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wish every contributor, (wherever you may be). For your much appreciated assistance in this on-going 'labour of love' thread. A very Merry Christmas and Happy and Healthy 2017 to you all.

DL. ;o) Malta. G.C.
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 19/12/2016 :  17:10:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glædelig Jul!
Go to Top of Page

jungfigh

Malta
326 Posts

Posted - 20/12/2016 :  10:26:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Glædelig Jul!

Tak Jackie..!

DL. ;o) Malta. G.C.
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 20/12/2016 :  13:18:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
God Jul Derek

Kåre
Go to Top of Page

jungfigh

Malta
326 Posts

Posted - 20/12/2016 :  16:28:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Takk Kåre.

DL. ;o) Malta. G.C.
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9200 Posts

Posted - 22/12/2016 :  04:31:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I confess I have not followed this thread for some time but today I had some free time so I read most of the pages. I find the discussion of the DNA work interesting. I have tested my DNA on FTDNA for 67 markers. I also joined The Norway DNA Project. My first try at DNA was to get a DNA test through Ancestry at 12 markers. That was not very useful. At 67 markers it has proven only slightly useful My closest matches at 67 markers are two English brothers with ancestor William Russell, b. 1605, Abbots Langley, England. My fathers line oldest known ancestor is Syvert Torjussen Herefoss, b. 1590, A-AGD. A-AGD stands for Aust-Agder. In The Norway DNA-Project my closest match is a match of 59 of the 67 markers. Thus I do not have a very close match from Norway. So I have been given my own line in The Norway DNA Project - Norgesprosjektet - Y-DNA Classic Chart. You can if you are interested go to chart at https://www.familytreedna.com/public/Norway?iframe=yresults and scroll down and look at the data. if you set the MARKER to Y-DNA 67. You can see the various numbers given to the markers. One way to compare DNA samples is to seek a match with these markers.

Frank should be able to have his 37 marker DNA data entered into this chart, it may have already been done. He would be able to see if he has any close matches from Norway. He can also use the DNA experts at The Norway DNA Project to evaluate the closeness of the match he has with his supposed relative. He should be able to go along the line from left to right and see where the matches differ. I am assuming from what I have read that the 37 markers between the two tested individuals do not match exactly.

The other piece of information that comes from the DNA test is the Haplogroup. This is another way of making a comparison. You can see from the chart that mine is

R1a M512+ Z284+ S4458+ S5301+ S5153+ L448+ CTS4179+ S6821-A

Frank should be able to obtain from The Norway Project a similar assignment.

Edited by - AntonH on 27/12/2016 16:43:37
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9200 Posts

Posted - 22/12/2016 :  18:00:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have had some time to think about the DNA testing since I wrote the above post. Yes DNA test results can be very confusing and at times even contradictory but since both Frank and Finn have both already done the 37 marker test I think that you should try and get the most out of these tests that you can. In my opinion that has not yet been done. I would not advise either Frank or Finn to get more testing done until they have pursued the joining the Norway Project. When I did my testing at FTDNA I was not able to make much sense out of the results. It was not until after I joined The Norway Project that I was able to make any sense out of the data and only then after some number of e-mails back and forth between myself and two of the Administrators for The Norway Project.

From what I have seen posted, Frank seems to be a member of the R1b1a1a2 (R-M269) Haplogroup. Different from mine but one of the three most common haplogroups found in Norway. If Frank joins or you, join in Franks place you can get some useful information. I am not sure that it has to be Frank since all that is needed is the Kit Number and Password from FTDNA to join, I assume you could join for Frank using the Kit Number and password. The information I would want to obtain is:

The complete DNA Haplogroup sub group listing. I would think for 37 markers it should be very close to as long as the one I posted for my test results. You need make a comparison between the results for Frank and Finn. An Administrator for The Norway Project can look at the test results for the two Kits and give you the list of Haplogroup and sub groups for both Frank and Finn. That would give you some idea of the closeness of the Haplgroups for Frank and Finn. Identical would be good.

Once results for Frank and Finn are put into The Norway Project Y DNA Chart you can look at the closeness of the 37 markers and see where they differ. The Administrators for The Norway Project should be able to draw a general conclusion from looking at the whole 37 markers for the two individuals about the degree of confidence they would have in the relationship.

Another thing that would be obtained by getting both Frank and Finn in The Norway Project Y DNA Chart is you can see if there might be others who have been tested that have a close relationship to Frank.

As I stated earlier I do not think you have mined the already obtained DNA results for as much information as they contain. You also have a ready made contact at The Norway Project who can help you with the necessary interpretation in Gunnar Sigve Aurdal, Volda, Norway. Also on the main page for The Norway Project is a list of Administrators. I used Anne M Berge to start and she moved me onto Svein Arnolf Bjørndal who really proved useful in answering my questions.

Here is a link to The Norway Project site.

http://www.norwaydna.no/norway-dna-project/

Edited by - AntonH on 22/12/2016 18:02:23
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 23/12/2016 :  00:13:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The brother Peder's trip was mentioned and linked earlier in the thread. Carbonado was in Pierce county here in Wikipedia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbonado,_Washington
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 24/12/2016 :  03:04:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's a beginning of an index for this topic, needs much:
Index for Christain Tromm
Alfred Strømme pg 22
Attaining British citizenship pg 31
Campanula details pg 20
Campanula sinking pg 11, 12
Christian’s lisp pg 27
Dina Strømme pg 22
Discussion how to print copy from Norwegian digital archives parish register pg 26
Discussion Norwegian dialects pg 26
Discussion Norwegian naming pattern pg 16
Discussion of Christian’s children’s names, pg 25
Discussion of Halden = Walden pg 18, 19
Discussion of makeup and source of names in England and Norway pg 2, 6
Discussion of Walden pg 25. 26, 29. 30
Family Bonnevie pg 8,9
Family of Kristian Elias Danielsen Strømme pg 21, 22
Family Tinniswood discussion pg 6-7
Father candidate for Christian Daniel Danielsen Stømme pg 24
Father candidate for Christian Didrik Andreas Thomasen pg 6
Father candidate for Christian Donald Campbell Mackey Bonnevie pg 8, 9
Father candidate for Christian Donald Stewart pg 22
Father candidate for Christian Donald Thompson pg 26, 31
Frank Tompson, cousin mentioned pg 27, 28
Gustav Strømme pg 22
Johannes Stromme marriage in Pierce county Wash pg 28
List of Christian / Kristian Thomassen / Thomasson/ Tomassen b 1883 pg 3
List of Cristian b 1882+/-1 pg 14
List of Kristian / Christian residing on farms named Strømmen in Norway 1900 pg 8
List of Kristian / Christian Thomasen from familysearch compared to 1910 Norwegian census pg 19
List of Kristian / Christian Thomasen from familysearch pg 18
List of Kristian / Christian with T starting patronymic born 1882-1884 occupation in fishing pg 13
List of place names beginning with L pg 3
List of place names beginning with V pg 26
List of place names containing fjord pg 7
Marriage record (with several handwriting styles) of Cristian Thompson and Maude Fast pg 6
Marriage record received and posted 27 Oct 2013 pg 14
Miscellaneous English with Trom / Tromm name pg 11
Miscellaneous Norwegians with Trom / Tromm name pg 1
Names of all children of Christian pg 27
Norwegian candidate Christian Johan Tønnesen b 1883 pg 1
Norwegian candidate Christian Massilius Danielson b 17 May 1882 pg 7,8
Norwegian candidate Karl Kristian Tauland b 1883 pg 8
Norwegian candidate Kristian Elias Danielsen Stromme b 2 Nov 1882 pg 14
Norwegian candidate Kristian Frederik Gudleiksen b 22 Sept 1884 pg 15
Norwegian candidate Kristian Gabrielson Tusskvam b 1883 pg 4
Norwegian candidate Kristian Johansen Trømnes b 23 Dec 1885 pg 5
Norwegian candidate Kristian Severin Trømmestad b 1885 pg 7
Norwegian candidate Kristian Strøm b 28 July 1884 pg 17-18
Norwegian candidate Kristian Strommen b 1883 pg 8
Norwegian candidate Kristian Thomm b abt 1881 pg 1
Norwegian candidate Robert Donald Stewart pg 23
Peder Matias Strømme pg 22, 53
Photo Christian Thompson & 7 children pg 10
Photo Maude Fast Thompson pg 9
Photo Maude Olivia Fast Thompson pg 1-2
Rules of evidence pg 28
Source of place name as Lauden Vordner on journal pg 1, 3
Source of place name as Volden Laudnor on 1970s note, pg 31
Source of place name as Walden on British Mercantile seamen record pg 14, 28
Source searched 2006 Volda bygdebøker authors pg 22, 23
Source searched 6 different British records pg 21
Source searched British newspaper pg 11
Source searched BT141/7, Registry of Shipping & Seamen, Indexes to Registers of Certificates of Competency & Service Engineers. Pg 19
Source searched BT352, Index to Certificates of Competency, Masters, Mates, Engineers & Fishing Oficers, Home & Foreign Trade. Pg 19
Source searched Central Index Register of Merchant Seaman CR10s 1918-1921 pg 21
Source searched Chronicling America pg 22
Source searched Genealogybank.com pg 22
Source searched Old Fulton history pg 24
Source searched probate register Daniel Danielson in Norway pg 24, 25, 26
Source searched Volda bygdebøker pg 20, 21, 22,
Strømme, Alfred pg 22
Strømme, Dina pg 22
Strømme, Gustav pg 22
Stromme, Johannes marriage pg 28
Strømme, Peder Matias pg 22
Summary comparing Christian Tompson to Kristian Elias Danielsen Strømme pg 24, 32
Volda 1971 bygdebok pg 20, 21, 22
Volda 2006 bygdebok pg 21
Wills of British WWI soldiers pg 13

Haven't even gotten to the DNA business....

Edited by - jkmarler on 24/12/2016 20:11:35
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 54 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article