All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Christain Tromm
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 54

jungfigh

Malta
326 Posts

Posted - 24/12/2016 :  09:20:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow..! Jackie. You're a star...You've put a lot of work into this indices...Thank-you very much.

DL. ;o) Malta. G.C.
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 27/12/2016 :  19:30:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lyndal40

I have had some time to think about the DNA testing since I wrote the above post. Yes DNA test results can be very confusing and at times even contradictory but since both Frank and Finn have both already done the 37 marker test I think that you should try and get the most out of these tests that you can. In my opinion that has not yet been done. I would not advise either Frank or Finn to get more testing done until they have pursued the joining the Norway Project. When I did my testing at FTDNA I was not able to make much sense out of the results. It was not until after I joined The Norway Project that I was able to make any sense out of the data and only then after some number of e-mails back and forth between myself and two of the Administrators for The Norway Project.

From what I have seen posted, Frank seems to be a member of the R1b1a1a2 (R-M269) Haplogroup. Different from mine but one of the three most common haplogroups found in Norway. If Frank joins or you, join in Franks place you can get some useful information. I am not sure that it has to be Frank since all that is needed is the Kit Number and Password from FTDNA to join, I assume you could join for Frank using the Kit Number and password. The information I would want to obtain is:

The complete DNA Haplogroup sub group listing. I would think for 37 markers it should be very close to as long as the one I posted for my test results. You need make a comparison between the results for Frank and Finn. An Administrator for The Norway Project can look at the test results for the two Kits and give you the list of Haplogroup and sub groups for both Frank and Finn. That would give you some idea of the closeness of the Haplgroups for Frank and Finn. Identical would be good.

Once results for Frank and Finn are put into The Norway Project Y DNA Chart you can look at the closeness of the 37 markers and see where they differ. The Administrators for The Norway Project should be able to draw a general conclusion from looking at the whole 37 markers for the two individuals about the degree of confidence they would have in the relationship.

Another thing that would be obtained by getting both Frank and Finn in The Norway Project Y DNA Chart is you can see if there might be others who have been tested that have a close relationship to Frank.

As I stated earlier I do not think you have mined the already obtained DNA results for as much information as they contain. You also have a ready made contact at The Norway Project who can help you with the necessary interpretation in Gunnar Sigve Aurdal, Volda, Norway. Also on the main page for The Norway Project is a list of Administrators. I used Anne M Berge to start and she moved me onto Svein Arnolf Bjørndal who really proved useful in answering my questions.

Here is a link to The Norway Project site.

http://www.norwaydna.no/norway-dna-project/

Great suggestions!

Edited by - JaneC on 27/12/2016 19:31:58
Go to Top of Page

jungfigh

Malta
326 Posts

Posted - 28/12/2016 :  08:42:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I fully concur.

DL. ;o) Malta. G.C.
Go to Top of Page

FrankTompson
Starting member

United Kingdom
22 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2017 :  11:45:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Many thanks to all our friends for recent postings.

If we want to pursue DNA testing via the Norway Project it's over to you Derek, because, as we know, FTDNA will only recognise you (masquerading as me!) I just tried to see if they have sorted it out but they haven't, and I can't login with my details.

Happy new year to one and all :)
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9141 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2017 :  16:51:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If I read your message correctly Frank, you are saying that FTDNA will allow Derek to log in using your Kit Number and Password but will not allow you to log in. That is a problem but not insurmountable. That means that Derek can log into FTDNA and join the Project. Once he has done that and set up the correct Account parameters you will be able to view your data on the Norway Project Y-DNA Chart. He just needs to make sure when he joins Norwaay Project that he sets it up so that anyone can see his data. It is a relatively easy process to follow.

Join the Norway Project
Have you already got a test and kit number?

Go to Projects > Join
Write “Norway” in the project search field (scroll down past any suggestions, they are not useful)
Click the link that shows Norway DNA
Click Join at the bottom of the page

A personal aside. I have found the folks at The Norway Project to be much more user friendly than the FTDNA organization. The best thing you can do is get your data out of FTDNA and into The Norway Project where you and the Norway Project moderators can look at it and they can explain to you what it means.

Edited by - AntonH on 02/01/2017 17:01:24
Go to Top of Page

FrankTompson
Starting member

United Kingdom
22 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2017 :  17:03:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Lynda.
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2017 :  18:20:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ref 1: "My Auntie Marge (the 4th of Maud's daughter's) had it documented as such in an old journal, like my Aunt, long gone, unfortunately no date of his birth. She also had written down that Grandfather hailed from Lauden Vordner. Norway. I believe there is no such place."

Ref 2:

"Lauden Vordner" = "Volden, Laudnor" = "Volden, Søndmør" (1890) = "Volda, Møre & Romsdal" (2017).

Laudnor ... Laudmor ... Lundmor .... Sundmor = Sundmøre.
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9141 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2017 :  04:01:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some other comments on DNA analysis. In my case at 12 markers I have over 30 direct matches in Norway alone. At 25 markers I have no direct matches and only 12 matches at distance of one in Norway.. At 37 markers tested I have no matches at all in Norway and only three matches at a genetic distance of four in England and one in America. At 67 markers tested I have only one close related match, again at genetic distance of four. He is William Russell, b. 1605, Abbots Langley, England. I have several in Norway at a genetic distance of seven.

Thus I think you can see that a exact match at 12 markers does not mean much in a time frame that we usually look at. It means you may be related some 3,000 to 10, 000 or more years ago. I have not found that very meaningful. In the case of William Russell you have to go back at least 12 generations or more to get a probability of 90% that we share a common ancestor.

From http://www.worldfamilies.net/ftdnamatches

For those who tested at 37 markers:
Less than 31/37 – the two participants do not share a common ancestor*
31/37 and 32/37 - the two participants have a small possibility that may share a common ancestor from the early days of surnames. This is an area with little clear insight. An upgrade to 67 markers is encouraged
33/37 - some researchers consider this to be a match and some don't. If there is a shared common ancestor - it will be more than a few 100s of years ago. Upgrade to 67 markers for additional clarity.
34/37, 35/37, 36/37 & 37/37 - the participants share a recent common ancestor

Edited by - AntonH on 11/02/2017 18:20:22
Go to Top of Page

jungfigh

Malta
326 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2017 :  04:52:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A slight aside:

On Thursday, 24th August, 2017 at about 1100 Our son Darren, daughter Jo and cousin Frank boarded Bonaventure 11, Skipper Allan Booth at The Royal Harbour, Ramsgate. With them they had the cremated remains of my Mother Daisy and her sister Marjorie. The weather was good. Allan drove the boat to a point near the Goodwin Sands ( where 27 years earlier a quarterdeck service was held aboard HMS Ark Royal. Darren was serving aboard her then. My father Ernie had recently died and his cremated remains were committed to the deep). Therefore my mother 'joined' her husband and both sisters 'joined' their father, Christian Thompson who was killed aboard the Ramsgate Fishing Vessel 'Campanula' along with all of her crew after trawling up a mine in 1920. (In the same body of water).

Thank-you Allan. All aboard were impressed with your knowledge and expertise. A long chapter in our family history is now closed.

DL. ;o) Malta. G.C.

Edited by - jungfigh on 27/08/2017 05:00:58
Go to Top of Page

jungfigh

Malta
326 Posts

Posted - 13/01/2018 :  05:39:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Ron Cannon. MBE deceased.
« on: January 11, 2018, 06:48:20 PM »
Reply with quote Modify message Remove message

Another aside which I believe needs a mention.

Far too young.

http://www.kentlive.news/news/kent-news/story-ramsgate-lifeboatman-ron-cannon-1026235

DL. ;o) Malta. G.C.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 54 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article