All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Christain Tromm
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 54

jungfigh

Malta
326 Posts

Posted - 22/09/2013 :  09:43:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another link to the loss of Campanula with another named crew member

http://www.ramsgatehistory.com/forum/index.php?topic=541.0

DL. ;o) Malta. G.C.
Go to Top of Page

jungfigh

Malta
326 Posts

Posted - 22/09/2013 :  09:47:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jwiborg

This is a challenge!

Donald Tompson is for sure not a Norwegian name. I wonder what "Donald" could have been in Norway?
Did Cristian Tompson apply for naturalisation as a British citizen?

Jan Peter

It certainly is Jan Peter being made a lot more easier for me by the fantastic amount of input from you good people.

DL. ;o) Malta. G.C.
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 22/09/2013 :  11:12:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 22/09/2013 :  12:17:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It will be hard to identify Cristian Tompson 100% without a date or place of birth. Were could that be found?
In the application for naturalisation as a British citizen at the Ramsgate courthouse?
The deathrecord from 1920 could possibly contain some information?
Christening records for his children could also possibly tell something?

"Donald" could be Didrik, Daniel or Ditlef in Norway.
There is one Didrik Andreas Thomsen in census-1885 for Bergen.
A son Didrik Thomsen born 1885 is listed, but no Cristian born ab. 1883 in the census. Besides, he is a painter apprentice, and not a carpenter.

Being a sailor, his origin should be from the coastal area of Norway.

Jan Peter

Edited by - jwiborg on 22/09/2013 13:21:35
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 23/09/2013 :  03:05:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are either of the two witnesses to the Cristian's and Maud's wedding Norwegian? John William (Anderson? maybe?) and Clara Agnes Johnson?
Go to Top of Page

jungfigh

Malta
326 Posts

Posted - 23/09/2013 :  11:40:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jwiborg

It will be hard to identify Cristian Tompson 100% without a date or place of birth. Were could that be found?
In the application for naturalisation as a British citizen at the Ramsgate courthouse?
The deathrecord from 1920 could possibly contain some information?
Christening records for his children could also possibly tell something?

"Donald" could be Didrik, Daniel or Ditlef in Norway.
There is one Didrik Andreas Thomsen in census-1885 for Bergen.
A son Didrik Thomsen born 1885 is listed, but no Cristian born ab. 1883 in the census. Besides, he is a painter apprentice, and not a carpenter.

Being a sailor, his origin should be from the coastal area of Norway.

Jan Peter

An interesting point here Jan Peter.:

After comments made that Donald is not really a Norwegian name I searched the English census for 1871 and came up with the posting below.

Donald Thompson
Profession: Private Royal Mariner ... Birth County: Scotland ... Birth Place: Scotland ...
Address: Royal Marine Barracks ... Parish: Lower Walmer ... Area: Eastry ...

The name Donald is truly of Scot's origin. The age given is about right to be Christian's Dad. The area (Royal Marine Barracks) was not far from Ramsgate. And his profession is a Private Royal Mariner (Royal Marine).
Could it be possible that Donald being a' sea-going soldier' visited Norway whilst H.M.Ship bound...formed a liaison with a local girl.. Christian being the result..? This is purely hypothetical but possible.
A young 20 year old Norwegian going to Ramgate (to seek his Father)..? and marrying a local girl.

Another thread to this enigma. The answer is there to be found.

Kent 1871 Census

DL. ;o) Malta. G.C.
Go to Top of Page

jungfigh

Malta
326 Posts

Posted - 23/09/2013 :  11:50:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jkmarler

Are either of the two witnesses to the Cristian's and Maud's wedding Norwegian? John William (Anderson? maybe?) and Clara Agnes Johnson?

Jackie,

I have also considered what you suggest.

As being a Geneaologist yourself you will appreciate the Parish records in England are very concise, although, as yet, not all have been placed on line. The 'old fashioned telephone calls' will have to be made to some Parishes to assist me.

DL. ;o) Malta. G.C.
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 23/09/2013 :  15:20:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Christian Tompsen born ca 1883 in Norway.
Father Donald Tompsen.
Most of the em. kept the intials; D. T.
Traditional Norwegian naming practice; Christians father was Donald (Daniel, Dankert, David, Didrik, Ditlef, Dyre + some rare names)

If Christians father had some of the names in the parenthesis as his 1. name Christian was bapt. Christian Danielsen, Christian Dankertsen, Christian Davidsen, Christian Didriksen etc.

Kåre
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 23/09/2013 :  16:31:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In the 1911 England census transcription there are 127 Norway born people listed as residing in Kent. There are only 2 in Ramsgate, Cristian and this one Edith Tinniswood age 27:

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XW6W-8W8

Perhaps there's a connection?
Go to Top of Page

David Yaw
Medium member

United Kingdom
128 Posts

Posted - 23/09/2013 :  17:56:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I read the male witness as John William ADAMS. There are credible matches for John W Adams, son of timber merchant John Adams in the 1891 and 1901 UK censuses. John W and family were living at St Mildred Grange Road, Ramsgate in 1911. I reckon we probably now know where Christian was working as a sawyer labourer as per his occupation in the 1911 census.

There are a couple of contemporary records for the other witness Clara Agnes Johnson - but none that I could find with any connection to Ramsgate or Kent.
Go to Top of Page

David Yaw
Medium member

United Kingdom
128 Posts

Posted - 23/09/2013 :  18:22:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jungfigh

Below are the details of my maternal Grandfathers death.

It is believed he travelled to UK (Ramsgate, Kent) at the turn of the 19th century from an unknown Norwegian location. It is also known that he fought on the Western Front in the Great War as a gunner in the Royal Artillery.
I have been told that Tromm translates into English, or was changed to Thompson. There is also a memorial plaque dedicated to 'Campanula' in the Seaman's Church, Royal Harbour Ramsgate. Interestingly my Grandfather's name is shewn : Christine Thompson.
Any information would be sincerely appreciated in helping me find my Norwegian relatives.

Name: THOMPSON, CHRISTAIN
Initials: C
Nationality: United Kingdom
Regiment/Service: Mercantile Marine
Unit Text: Steam Trawler "Campanula" (Ramsgate)
Date of Death: 28/01/1920
Additional information: Husband of Maude Oliva Thompson (nee Fast), of 6, Florence Terrace, Cannonbury Rd., Ramsgate. Born in Norway.
Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
Memorial: TOWER HILL MEMORIAL

Derek, can you please clarify the source of the info that Christian served in the Royal Artillery on the western front. My guess is he would have been awarded a medal for service in this campaign - or is the implication his medal card was one of those destroyed by the unfortunate bomb on the records building ??

And do you have any steer on when he joined the Merchant Marine and the vessel he was serving on at time of death ?? I can't find a record for him among the Norwegians who were awarded the Merchant Marine Medal and/or Ribbon for service in WW1.

So might he have served in the army until the end of the war in Nov 1918, and only then taken up service in the merchant marine ??
Go to Top of Page

David Yaw
Medium member

United Kingdom
128 Posts

Posted - 23/09/2013 :  18:33:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Yaw

quote:
Originally posted by jungfigh

Below are the details of my maternal Grandfathers death.

It is believed he travelled to UK (Ramsgate, Kent) at the turn of the 19th century from an unknown Norwegian location. It is also known that he fought on the Western Front in the Great War as a gunner in the Royal Artillery.
I have been told that Tromm translates into English, or was changed to Thompson. There is also a memorial plaque dedicated to 'Campanula' in the Seaman's Church, Royal Harbour Ramsgate. Interestingly my Grandfather's name is shewn : Christine Thompson.
Any information would be sincerely appreciated in helping me find my Norwegian relatives.

Name: THOMPSON, CHRISTAIN
Initials: C
Nationality: United Kingdom
Regiment/Service: Mercantile Marine
Unit Text: Steam Trawler "Campanula" (Ramsgate)
Date of Death: 28/01/1920
Additional information: Husband of Maude Oliva Thompson (nee Fast), of 6, Florence Terrace, Cannonbury Rd., Ramsgate. Born in Norway.
Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
Memorial: TOWER HILL MEMORIAL

Derek, can you please clarify the source of the info that Christian served in the Royal Artillery on the western front. My guess is he would have been awarded a medal for service in this campaign - or is the implication his medal card was one of those destroyed by the unfortunate bomb on the records building ??

And do you have any steer on when he joined the Merchant Marine and the vessel he was serving on at time of death ?? I can't find a record for him among the Norwegians who were awarded the Merchant Marine Medal and/or Ribbon for service in WW1.

So might he have served in the army until the end of the war in Nov 1918, and only then taken up service in the merchant marine ??

Derek, apologies - ignore this post. I just re-read your earlier post about this
Go to Top of Page

David Yaw
Medium member

United Kingdom
128 Posts

Posted - 23/09/2013 :  18:43:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

In the 1911 England census transcription there are 127 Norway born people listed as residing in Kent. There are only 2 in Ramsgate, Cristian and this one Edith Tinniswood age 27:

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XW6W-8W8

Perhaps there's a connection?

I checked this out a little further. The 1911 census states she is an actress, and a naturalised British subject. Sounds like an odd surname though for a Norwegian - maybe she anglicised it on naturalisation. I searched the UK National Archives to see if there is a naturalisation record for her - none.

Neither could I find one for Christian T(h)ompson - 1911 census merely states "resident", not "naturalised" - nor did I find one for Donald T(h)ompson.
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 23/09/2013 :  19:09:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just a thought, but Tinniswood could be Tønnevold, a farmname in Fjære (Grimstad), Aust-Agder.

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 23/09/2013 :  20:02:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ellis Island record 1916 for an Edith Tinniswood, actress, age 26, journeying from Liverpool to New York, final destination Los Angeles, California, USA; going to sister Evelyn Tinniswood in Los Angeles; nearest relative in England is George Tinniswood, brother.
O. T. Tønnevold had a shipping firm.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 54 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article