All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Christain Tromm
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 54

jungfigh

Malta
326 Posts

Posted - 27/09/2013 :  10:59:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
During Christian's relatively short life time The Sailor's church' in Ramsgate harbour is where he may have worshipped before going to sea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PjgRfLyl4k

DL. ;o) Malta. G.C.
Go to Top of Page

jungfigh

Malta
326 Posts

Posted - 27/09/2013 :  11:06:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Derek,

I spent a bit of time this afternoon trying to make some progress with Christian's father in Norway.

When I run a search in the Norwegian archive for all databases and the period 1800-2013 for someone forename Donald, there are about 43 records. Many of them relate to Norwegian emigrants to North America, and to more recent deaths in Norway.

But there is one record that is really unusual - see the attached scan. This is for the baptism of a child with the forenames Donald Campbell Mackey - born in Calcutta of all places in January 1849, and christened in Stromso (its near Drammen, and not far from Strommen) in October that year - probably after the voyage home which must have taken several months in those days. Apart from missing an "Angus" and a "Mc", it would be difficult to find a more Scottish name !!!

The apparent parents are Honoratus Bonnevie and Petronelle Lund both from Tangen - and as far as I can make out, the witnesses at the baptism include a Pastor Bonnevie and some Lund's. Bonnevie doesn't sound particularly Norwegian either (more like French, and one branch of the family does originate from there), but there are quite a few who pop up in a search. Honoratus' occupation is given as "Proprietaire" - I'd translate that from the French as "Property- or land-owner", but need to check the Norwegian version.

So how the heck did a couple of Norwegian parents come to be (apparently) in India and choose some very Scottish names for their child ?? Or was he maybe orphaned and/or adopted ???? And following Norwegian naming practice, would his name thus be Donald Campbell Mackey Honoratusen ??? I can't find anyone at all with that surname in the Norwegian archives 1800 - 2013 !!

I have tried to trace them in the 1865 and later Norwegian censuses without success, but I'm not that proficient at navigating my way around the Norwegian archives - definitely still have "L" plates on !!!

But what then becomes a bit more intriguing is when we run a search into the 1900's. Hakon Honoratus Bonnevie b 1916 and Rolf Donald Bonnevie b 1923 both show up as (I think I have the translation correct) students at the Bergen Cathedral School 1930 - 1947. These names sound like too much of a coincidence for there not to be some family connection there.

BUT what are the chances this "Donald" could possibly be Christian's father - born 1849 so age would not dis-bar him.

This post courtesy of David with his permission to print. Meanwhile my searches In The British Isles continue.

Thank-you all once again for your input. Every little piece of the puzzle makes a complete one. As we all appreciate.

DL. ;o) Malta. G.C.

Edited by - jungfigh on 27/09/2013 11:13:40
Go to Top of Page

David Yaw
Medium member

United Kingdom
128 Posts

Posted - 27/09/2013 :  13:15:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Derek,

A little more digging. I googled "Donald Campbell Mackey Bonnevie". Lo and behold, he comes up with a family tree on Geni managed by Jouni Ruohonen. Its beyond my IT skills to put the link here - maybe one of our more proficient community colleagues could find and post it.

Parents are stated as Honoratus and Petronelle, so the tree does refer to the same person. Incidentally, links to this tree state Honoratus died 1854, one link stating he died in India, (Donald would have been just 5 years old) and Petronelle in 1863.

According to the same tree, Donald married Sofia Elisabet - and wait for it, maiden name STROMER !!!! The tree gives links to other trees, which yield the information that she was born 7 May 1853 in Oulu, Finland. No date or place is given for their marriage.

The tree further states they had TWO children :

Emmy b Fredrikshald (now Halden) . I found her on the Norwegian archives, b 2 September 1876 baptised 8 October 1876, record #119

Henry Honoratus, b Royken, Buskerud. I found this record too, b 12 May 1878 baptised 16 June 1876 record #56

(Apologies, I don't know how to put the links here. Again, maybe a community colleague could do that - they might also glean more info from the names of the witnesses)

Both baptisms refer to Donald as "Engineer", which together with the spread of places for his wife's and children's birthplaces might imply he travelled around.

But the trees make no reference at all to a third child Christian, who we reckon was born around1883 - the two above would have been his siblings.

Apparently Donald died in Christiania in 1900.

I want to avoid the danger of making the facts fit the story rather than the other way around, but surely there are now too many coincidences I this thread with the names Donald, Bonnevie and Stromer for there not to be a linkage ??

I'd be grateful if another pair of eyes more experienced than mine could run over these searches to validate these comments.
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 27/09/2013 :  14:02:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is bit of family history on Bonnevie family:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honoratus_Bonnevie

Here is a geni page for Donald Campbell Mackey Bonnevie:
http://www.geni.com/people/Donald-Campbell-Mackey-Bonnevie/6000000013172354458

Edited by - jkmarler on 27/09/2013 14:18:42
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 27/09/2013 :  14:28:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is the baptism for Donald #110:
Kildeinformasjon: Buskerud fylke, Strømsø, Ministerialbok nr. I 14 (1848-1858), Fødte og døpte 1849, side 33.
Permanent sidelenke: http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=1137&idx_id=1137&uid=ny&idx_side=-36

Here is Donald Bonnevie in 1885 living in Oslo. Unfortunately no son named Christian:
http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&sidenr=8&filnamn=f80301&gardpostnr=1384&personpostnr=29321&merk=29321#ovre

Edited by - jkmarler on 27/09/2013 16:53:40
Go to Top of Page

jungfigh

Malta
326 Posts

Posted - 27/09/2013 :  16:59:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This really is a conundrum wrapped up in an enigma...or vice-versa..!

DL. ;o) Malta. G.C.
Go to Top of Page

jungfigh

Malta
326 Posts

Posted - 27/09/2013 :  17:02:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Still no receipt of Certificates from UK. (yet).

My telephone calls also seem to be non events. (so far).

Onward and upward..!

DL. ;o) Malta. G.C.
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 27/09/2013 :  18:55:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Donald Bonnevie doesn't necessarily get a by. I've seen lots of baptisms celebrated in which the parents are listed as "gifteman" & "pige"--married man and unmarried female....
Go to Top of Page

jungfigh

Malta
326 Posts

Posted - 27/09/2013 :  19:51:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've never heard of or seen those terms Jackie...are they American in origin..?

DL. ;o) Malta. G.C.
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 27/09/2013 :  20:23:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They are Norwegian for married man and unmarried woman.

Here is a database at familysearch.org for Honoratus Bonnevie:
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.2.1/S5ZX-STB
Go to Top of Page

jungfigh

Malta
326 Posts

Posted - 27/09/2013 :  21:16:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank-you Jackie.

Manuel born 1647.. Capitaine...would that be a military title or sea-going..?

DL. ;o) Malta. G.C.
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 27/09/2013 :  21:35:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The origin of the familyname Bonnevie in Norway is French from the city Antibes in Provence and Honore Bonnevie born June 8. 1663. He came to the costal town Brevik in Telemark 1714 where he on March 9. 1715 married Boel Corneliusdatter, daught. to Cornelius Danielsen and Anne Larsdatter. Honore Bonnevie moved Denmark where he died 1734.
He left 3 sons in Norway, one of them was Honoratius Bonnevie 1726-1811. He had 5 sons and these are the ancestors to the Norwegian Bonnevies.
Source; Norsk Slekthistorisk Forening (Norwegian Familyhistory Society)

Honoratius Bonnevie was married twice, his Family-tree

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 27/09/2013 21:44:58
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 28/09/2013 :  05:28:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jungfigh

Manuel born 1647.. Capitaine...would that be a military title or sea-going..?

Sorry, don't know and there are not a lot of details in the base as to resources consulted.
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 28/09/2013 :  06:47:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you know if there might be a town or village in England or Great Britain named Norway?

I'm reminded because an old researcher one time told me they found their ancestor was listed as having moved to Wyoming and he set to searching in Wyoming records and was unsuccessful. It turned out that it was to the town Wyoming in the next county, not the state..
Go to Top of Page

David Yaw
Medium member

United Kingdom
128 Posts

Posted - 28/09/2013 :  10:08:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kåarto

The origin of the familyname Bonnevie in Norway is French from the city Antibes in Provence and Honore Bonnevie born June 8. 1663. He came to the costal town Brevik in Telemark 1714 where he on March 9. 1715 married Boel Corneliusdatter, daught. to Cornelius Danielsen and Anne Larsdatter. Honore Bonnevie moved Denmark where he died 1734.
He left 3 sons in Norway, one of them was Honoratius Bonnevie 1726-1811. He had 5 sons and these are the ancestors to the Norwegian Bonnevies.
Source; Norsk Slekthistorisk Forening (Norwegian Familyhistory Society)

Honoratius Bonnevie was married twice, his Family-tree

Kåre

Kare, just to round this out, look's like this is how Donald came to have a pretty unusual name for a Norwegian :

Know all men by these presents that I Elisabeth Tauber do hereby in behalf of myself my Heiri (?) Executors Administrators or Assigns or any (im) or their lawful Attornie or Attornies resign all right title and interest that I or they have or may have required in consequence of my deceased brother Henry Busches last Will and Testament dated at Calcutta the 10 of March 1845 to the real and personal property which belonged to him as his partnership share in the firm of H. Busch and Bonnevie in the district of Rungpore in the Presidency of Fort William in Bengal, giving my full assent and Confirmation to the deed executed by Mr Donald Campbell Mackey Merchant and Agent in Calcutta who in the 28th of September 1846 as my deceased brother Henry Busches Attorney for and in consideration of the sum of C. R. 40000 / Companye Rupees:/Forty Thousand / assigned to Mr Honoratus Bonnevie all right title and interest the said deceased my brother Henry Busch held in the firm of H. Busch and Bonnevie in Rungpore.

In Welness whereof I the said Elisabeth Tauber have herewith set my hand and seal this 4th day of Oc-tober in the year of our Lord One Thousand Eight Hundred and Fifty Two.

Elisabeth Tauber

Witness to the Signature Born Busch

Copenhagen the 4th of October 1852 (L. I.)

her husband J. H. Tauber

agent of the police

Taken from the Internet - its a response to a lady from Denmark called Lise Tauber. - interesting little vignette.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 54 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article