All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 PASSENGER LISTS AND EMIGRANTS
 Hunting Passenger Lists
 Looking for Olson, Imes, Hoff, Mauersen
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Thiassi
Starting member

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2007 :  01:33:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
JOUAS OLSON IMES
ANNA CHRISTINA MAUERSEN
From looks like Hammersand, Norway

Bad hand writing, but looks like.
Hal Olson
Karen Hoff
From Kongsberg, Norway

Came to America around 1880ish. It would be so fun if I could find thier ship. Thanks for any help.

-Scott

Vikingism.com

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2007 :  02:18:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Please give us dates - birthyears, immigration years.

What document(s) are you getting the information from? I'm assuming they emigrated from Norway... to where?
Go to Top of Page

Thiassi
Starting member

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2007 :  02:50:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Kongsberg. Norway
Hal??? Olson
Born Dec 7th 1858
Died Jan 3rd 1912
Karen Hoff
Born Feb 27th 185?
Died Sep 4th 192?

Hammersond, Norway
J Imes
Born May 27th 1853
Died 1941
Married April 28th 18?4
Ansi Christina Mayer?????
Born April 9th 1854
Died July 28th 1905

Vikingism.com
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2007 :  12:44:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not much help since I havn´t been able to find them in any records, but i my have overlooked them. His name was certain Halvor Olsen. Karen (Oletta) Hoff is likely named after her origon farm Hoff, one of 6, in Buskerud County in Rollag municipality about 40 miles north of Kongsberg in a walley named Numedal.There are still Hoff´s living in Kongsberg. http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2007 :  13:01:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jonas Olsen Ims comes from the Høgsfjord area of Rogaland, Norway. I recognize several of the farm names mentioned on that section of the pedigree sheet: Ims, Eltervåg, Håheller (Haaheller), and Ådneshaugen (Aadneshaugen).
Ims and Eltervåg are located in the district NOW known as Sandnes, Rogaland - in 1865 the area was called Høle. Håheller, and Ådneshaugen are located on the other side of the Høgsfjord in the district known as Forsand (Fossan), Rogaland.

What additional information did you learn from the various applicable US censuses and other local records/documents of Yellow Medicine Co. Minnesota? Immigration year(s)?

This is probably Jonas in the 1865 Norwegian census -
http://www.rhd.uit.no/folketellinger/ftliste_e.aspx?ft=1865&knr=1128&kenr=010&bnr=0035&lnr=000

Edited by - Hopkins on 15/03/2007 13:10:22
Go to Top of Page

Thiassi
Starting member

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2007 :  15:53:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the information. I was able to find my Mom's Uncle, Chandler Olson Sr. still in Minnesota and he provided the above tree. He said he got it a long time ago from my Grandfather(his older brother), Herbie Olson who died in Missouri. That is why it is hard to read. He also told me the names of his other brothers and sister, Vernon Olson, Allard Olson, Junez Olson-Ritchie, His father Alfred H. Olson and Mother Anna Gergena Imes.

Not all Vikings have blond hair,
some of us have to die it!

Vikingism.com
Go to Top of Page

Lester Hanson
Advanced member

USA
567 Posts

Posted - 16/03/2007 :  04:37:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A little bit of help from the 1900 Minnesota census, Yellow Medicine County, Sioux Agency Township, has Jonas and Anna Ims, immigrating to the US in 1884. On the next family line is a Iver O. Ims and family. Possible brother. Immigrated 1880.

There is a Jonas O Ims on the SS Mauretania sailing from Liverpool 3 July, 1909 to New York city, arriving July 9, 1909, returning to Granite Falls, MN his home.

Les
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 16/03/2007 :  13:15:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, brother Iver Ims/Imes is also on the same page of that US census. He also appears on the 1865 Norwegian census page that I earlier linked. Their father's second wife and the boys' stepmother is listed on that 1865 census. The pedigree chart listed that their mother died in 1856.
The closest possible port of departure for the "Ims" family was Stavanger - where most of the original emigration records were destroyed by a fire. Therefore the ARRIVAL records in America are likely to be the best option for your research to find ship's names and passenger lists for their original landing on this continent.
Scott, you'll be able to track a LARGE section of the "ims" family tree in the bygdebok series entitled "Forsandboka" (available by inter-library loan). I also had family that resided on Håheller, and Lyse (Lyse is the main farm that Ådneshaugen is attached to) and I found those books quite useful. I borrowed them several years ago (the lending library was the US Library of Congress! -- now how and why did they get such a large collection of Norwegian books?)

You should use your favorite search engine to seek out more online displays of the Lysefjorden's best known attractions. Preikestolen (Prekestolen) or "Pulpit Rock" in English and Kjerag or Kjeragbolten. Enjoy!
http://www.pbase.com/henkbinnendijk/image/32131357
http://www.trekearth.com/gallery/Europe/Norway/photo220.htm

Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 16/03/2007 :  17:21:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Elen Serine Olsen
Birth: 17 SEP 1837
Christening: 30 SEP 1837
Place: Aadneshaug, Hole, Rogaland, Norway
Parents: Ole Kristoferson & Kristine Isaksdr

Isak Olsen
Birth: 29 NOV 1839
Christening: 01 DEC 1839
Place: Imsoygard, Hole, Rogaland, Norway

Kristofer Olsen
Birth: 12 MAR 1842
Christening: 28 MAR 1842
Place: Imsodegaard, Hole, Rogaland, Norway

Ole Olsen
Birth: 12 MAR 1844
Christening: 31 MAR 1844
Place: Imsodegaard, Hole, Rogaland, Norway

Bertel Kristian Olsen
Birth: 30 AUG 1847
Christening: 19 SEP 1847
Place: Imsoygard, Hole, Rogaland, Norway

Kristine Olsen
Birth: 22 JAN 1851
Christening: 16 FEB 1851
Place: Ims-Odegaard, Hole, Rogaland, Norway

Jonas Olsen
Birth: 27 MAY 1853
Christening: 12 JUN 1853
Place: Imsodegard, Hole, Rogaland, Norway

Iver Olsen
Birth: 07 SEP 1855
Christening: 07 OCT 1855
Place: Imbsodegaard, Hole, Rogaland, Norway
Parents: Ole Kristofersen & Kristine Isaksdr

Ane Kjerstine Olsen
Birth: 14 JUL 1859
Place: Imbsodegard, Hole, Rogaland, Norway
Parents: Ole Kristofersen & Joren Christoffersdr

Inger Olsen
Birth: 06 DEC 1860
Christening: 23 DEC 1860
Parents: Ole Christophersen & Joren Christophersdr

Karine Olsen
Birth: 01 SEP 1864
Place: Imbsodegard, Hole, Rogaland, Norway
Parents: Ole Kristofersen & Joren Christoffersdr

Kristoffer Olsen
Birth: 21 FEB 1867
Christening: 17 MAR 1867
Parents: Ole Kristoffersen & Joren Kristoffersdr

Jan Peter

Edited by - jwiborg on 16/03/2007 17:40:17
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 16/03/2007 :  22:34:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From your pedigree chart, Jonas Olsen Ims' wife looks like Anna Christine Haaversen, born 9-Apr-1854.

Homeplace/farm looks to be Hommersand, which is both a farm and a schooldistrict in Hetland, Rogaland.

Now located in Hommersåk in Sandnes municipality, Rogaland.
On the map above, it's located halfway between Stavanger and Ims, in the bay where Riskafjorden comes in, you'll see a "yellow" township. That is Hommersåk.

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 16/03/2007 :  23:22:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Possibly Karen Hoff? Link

Karen O. Helgesdatter (7) on the Hoff farm in Sandsvær, Buskerud in census-1865. Parents: Helge Sjulsen & Johanne Marie Andreasdatter.

Sandsvær is now a part of Kongsberg municipality.
The original churchrecords for Sandsvær 1859 shows that this Karen Olette was born on 29-Jan-1859 and christened on 20-Mar-1859. Dosn't your pedigree chart read Karen Oletta...?

However, you have dob as 29-Feb-1859, the churchbook says 29-Jan-1859. "29/1" could be a mistake by the priest, 'cause the children around her are all born in February/March...

Jan Peter

Edited by - jwiborg on 16/03/2007 23:48:23
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2007 :  01:40:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Temorarily returning to the Rogaland area and Scott's Ims ancestral line. I believe that I might be "3rd cousin three times removed" to Jonas O. Ims through his ancestral lines on Haaheller and Lyse farms. No wonder I recognized those farms. Ho ho ho.
Go to Top of Page

Thiassi
Starting member

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2007 :  02:47:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey cousin

Les wrote: Jonas O Ims on the SS Mauretania sailing from Liverpool 3 July, 1909
I bet he went back and returned again. I know my GGrandfather Alfred(his middle name) had a huge farm and later they built a small airport which got destroyed in a tornado. Thanks to everyone for the information. My Mom will not belive there are Olsen's in our family. She says that Olson is Norway and Olsen in Sweden.

My Mom says one of the old timers was a pirate. I have no idea how to figure that out.

Vikingism.com

Edited by - Thiassi on 17/03/2007 04:46:17
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2007 :  12:30:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Olsen is norwegian spelling, Olson is swedish.

Quite impressive that your Jonas Olsen Ims had (atleast) 11 siblings!

I'm quite sure that the Karen Hoff you're looking for is this Karen Olette Helgesdatter Hoff from Sandsvær, Buskerud.

Not sure where this Anna Christine Haaversen(?), could be "hiding" in the 1865-census, but she should be found in the Hommersand area in Hetland, Rogaland...

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2007 :  13:51:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Scott - tell your Mom it took me awhile to get used to the ...sen spelling too. I know that in Minnesota and Iowa that definitely got reversed and where I grew up we expected the Swedes to also use a double s spelling. Your Mom will like the 'Forsandboka' books - the writers typically used ....son or ....ssøn. Standardized spelling of names is a modern convention, or perhaps fashion. It didn't matter before - you spelled it as you heard it - if you could write at all. Lives were not controlled by "the paper trail", no drivers license, no credit history, etc. Bottom line - the spelling didn't matter. Spell it however you like; just keep it recognizable.

I'm facinated with finding Anna Christine Haaversen(?) too. I agree with Jan Peter about the possibility of Haaversen/Håversen as an interpretation of Grandpa's writing. Scott, when did she immigrate to the US? I can't peek into the US censuses for clues to that info this weekend - my usual online connection to those is down for a few days. Did she have other family members in Minnesota too?

The areas of Hetland, Høle, and Forsand have a tangled history of names and district boundaries. For many years the church books are found under Strand, some under Riska, and sometimes Høgsfjord. Today big parts of the area are in Sandnes. It's a challenge! But when you find the right connection that just increases your right to dance and celebrate! (Well, it does for me.)
The Hommeland farm was included in Sigleif Engen's notes for a never completed bygdebok for Høle, Rogaland. I've checked through that listing and not found a likely suspect. The name Håver/Haaver is fairly common in the area.
I have a copy of the Table of Contents of "Riska: Gardar og Tettstad" by Eivind Smith and it lists Garden Hommarsåk and a 'Maudland' farm, also Eltarvåg. (When I use a Norwegian bygdebok - I always try to keep a copy of at least the title page and the table of contents -- I handled that one briefly on a visit to the Salt Lake City Family History Library.)

You might eventually find a link to a pirate or privateer - but it will take you time and research. With all of your different Norwegian ancestral lines it would be impossible to guess who or even where that might show up.

Edited by - Hopkins on 17/03/2007 13:54:14
Go to Top of Page

Thiassi
Starting member

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2007 :  16:26:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ya'll are so great. When I was around 9, I got a book from the library to try and learn to speak Norwegian. Didn't work, but I always wanted to know about my Viking background. A few days ago I was talking to my Mom about our Norwegian relatives and she had no idea where any were living. She did give me enough clues that I was able to find the son of one of her uncles. He gave me the chart above. So with ya'lls help, I found almost everything I have been wanting to know in a week! There are a lot of Norwegians living in America. My Stepfather's dad was from Norse, Texas. He is buried there by a cool old church. The church has a huge picture of the king of Norway, when you walk in the front door. My real father, last name Laxson, I have come to find out is Norwegian as well. Thanks again for everyones help.

Vikingism.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article