All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 PASSENGER LISTS AND EMIGRANTS
 Hunting Passenger Lists
 Looking for Olson, Imes, Hoff, Mauersen
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2007 :  16:53:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are you in Texas???
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2007 :  18:58:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jan Peter,
you are right about Hoff in Sandsvær, Kongsberg was a blind track.In this case it was for me more a disadvantage to live in Kongsberg and be born in Sandsvær when "strange" names" is coming up, the Hoff name pointed out Rollag in Numedal for me since i never heard of Hoff in Sandsvær. Here is from Sandsværs Historie b. V: Karen Olette Helgesdatter Hoff was born on Farm Hovstua (Hoff) in local parish Efteløt in Sandsvær, present Kongsberg municipality on Jan. 21. 1859 as Maren Olette Helgesdatter (bap. oct. 5. 1872 as Karen Olette Helgsdatter Hovsmoen), daughter of Helge Sjulsen Bømoen 1803-1883 and Johanne Marie Andreasdatter Dalseie 1816-1881. Helge was son of Sjul Helgesen Hov 1773-1837, married as a National soldier in 1801 to Kirsti Nilsdatter Wulfsberg 1769-1838. Karen Olette married Halvor O. Sagfossen (Saw mill falls) b. 1857 in Sande municipality in Vestfold County, both employeed as workers on farm Kjørstad in Sandsvær in 1882, they emigrated next year to USA and farm Hovslien was taken over by her one year older sister Helene and her husband Ole Knutsen Gåserudplass.
Kåre
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2007 :  19:31:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks!
Then there's no doubt that this is the right girl...

I've also seen the parishrecords, and the birthdate reads 29/1. I agree that her name at the christening looks like Maren Olette, but there's no doubt that this is the right girl, when you look at the parents.

Oct. 5. 1872 must ne her confirmation date?

So then we have the last person in this puzzle also then, Hal Olson from Kongsberg must be Halvor Olsen Sagfossen b. 1857 in Sande, Vestfold. Where is he in census-1865?

Have not found their emigrationrecords from 1883....

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2007 :  20:33:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They emigrated from Kristiania/Oslo 3 days after Whit Monday, on Norway's National Day Thursday 17th of May 1883:

Halvor Olsen (25), from Sandsvær, destination Calmar. (Prob. Calmar in Winneshiek County, Iowa)

Olette Olsen (24) from Sandsvær, destination Calmar.

Olette is registered together with their 8 month old son Ole Olsen.

Jan Peter

Edited by - jwiborg on 17/03/2007 21:45:37
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2007 :  21:45:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Halvor is hard to find in 1865 census. Church record 1878-1906, page 313, Efteløt parish in Sandsvær, Couple nr 5: Halvor Olsen married Maren Bolette Hogfsmoen on Mai 30. 1882 as Halvor Olsen Kjørstad Bap. in Sande in1872, son of Husmand/Cotter Ole Olsen. Another possibility is Saude (in Telemark) instead of Sande? http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=4200&uid=ny&idx_side=212
Kåre
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2007 :  21:56:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry, I forgot an - before 212: http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=4200&uid=ny&idx_side=-212
Kåre
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2007 :  22:00:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, Halvor Olsen is from Saude (Sauherad) in Telemark, not Sande in Vestfold!

Christening record

Census 1865
His parents are Ole Olsen Lommerud & Anne Jacobsdatter Slettems

Note: Lommerud & Slettems are farmnames.

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2007 :  22:04:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Halvor Olsen is born 07-Dec-1857, not 1858.

Link

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2007 :  22:33:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

1) Hommersand in Hetland, Rogaland. Anna Christine Haaversen.(?)
2) Ims in Høle, Rogaland. Jonas Olsen.
3) Lommerud in Sauherad, Telemark. Halvor Olsen.
4) Hoff in Sandsvær, Buskerud. Karen Olette Helgesdatter.

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2007 :  23:28:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, this is great.
Lommerud (under which farm?) is in the Klevar area in Sauherad which means the South-Eastern part of lake Heddalsvannet at Nautsund bridge. There are 5 Bygdebooks from this area (unfortunaly Statsarkivet is closed now) written by Birger Kirkeby: Sauherad Gards og ættehistorie, likely more info about Halvor Olsen and his parents exist in one of these books.
Kåre
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2007 :  23:54:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lommerud is an old settlement under the Klevar farm in Sauherad.
Located ab 1km north-west of the Klevar Nordre farm. (1,5km west of the Nautsund bridge)

Jan Peter

Edited by - jwiborg on 17/03/2007 23:55:46
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2007 :  03:18:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Meanwhile back in Rogaland I think I've found Anna Christine who married Jonas O. Ims/Imes.

My connection to the US censuses came back up and the 1900 US census for Yellow Medicine Co. Minnesota clearly lists that she was born in April 1854 in Norway and she immigrated in 1884 about a year before she and Jonas married. Taking Jan Peter's lead about the location of Hommersand I checked the scanned parish records for Frue in Hetland for April of 1854. See record number 73 -
http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=1597&idx_id=1597&uid=ny&idx_side=-60

In Scott's first reading of that pedigree sheet he thought her surname started with an M - maybe he actually could see it better than we could in the small scan - perhaps she had used her father's patronymic in America (many young Norwegian emigrants did!). She is born on the farm Eltervåg. Eltervåg is in HOMMERSAND school district.
But by the 1865 census her family lives on a farm listed as Holen in Hetland (perhaps just a plass name?) - HOMMERSAND school district. Her father's patronymic was Mauritzen and we can see by his status that the family might move more frequently than some others.
http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&sidenr=13&filnamn=f61126&gardpostnr=194&sokefelt=skjul

One of the Ims children was named Syver - perhaps for Anna Christine's younger brother ? By 1900 she'd already lost a child or two - so perhaps some other names from her family had already been used, but the child(ren) had died.

I'm going to go back to browse around the US censuses for Norwegians in Yellow Medicine Co. Minnesota. If I learn anything interesting I'll report here.

Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2007 :  04:13:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The 1910 US census for Yellow Medicine Co. Anna Christine has already died - but her oldest son still lives at home with Jonas and siblings and lists his name as what appears to read Ole Christianus Ims. The handwriting is difficult and I'm not completely sure of the ending for what looks like Christianus.
Go to Top of Page

Thiassi
Starting member

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2007 :  04:17:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hopkins

Are you in Texas???

I live in California now, but my family still lives in the Dallas area.

Vikingism.com
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2007 :  10:27:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Halvor´s parents Ole Olsen and Anne Jacobsdater married Nov. 8. 1855 in Sauherad church, age 24 and 21, he living on farm kaasa, but I Parish register 1851-73, p. 150. Anne was from Juxe/Hjuksebø area in Sauherad, Eastern side across lake Heddalsvatnet. http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?urnread_imagesize=full&info=ingen&hode=nei&show=167&uid=2597&js=j
Kåre
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article