All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 PASSENGER LISTS AND EMIGRANTS
 Hunting Passenger Lists
 Looking for Olson, Imes, Hoff, Mauersen
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2007 :  10:56:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Continuing from above because I send to earli, pushed the wrong buttom: .........farm Kaasa, but in one of the records I saw Kaasa unde Klevar. Slettemoen was a cotters place under Andingard/ Angaard in Hjuksebø. When Anne married she live on farm Trykkerud in Hjuksebø, daughter of Jacob Halvorsen Trykkerud.
A curiosity: There are two Anne Jacobsdatter, married, in 1865 census in Saude, the other Anne is my G. grandmother from Hem North of Klevar.
Why the link didn´t open I don´t know.
Kåre
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2007 :  12:09:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kåre,
Direct links to the scanned images on the Digitalarkivet can be copied and pasted from the page from a display option available. At the top of the scanned image page is an option "Bildeinformasjon:" which is by default set to "Ingen". Change that and magic is available. Of the three options I like "Øverst" because it puts the additional information across the top of the page and is usually easier for me to see. Copy either the permanent page link on the line "Permanent sidelenke:" or the permanent image link "Permanent bildelenke:" given. The page link will bring the user to the exact same webpage location, with all the choices for viewing at ratios from 20 to 150%. The permanent image will display only a jpg image file with slightly more limited zoom capabilities.
The first line "Kildeinformasjon:" is a really nice summary of the source of the information and is nice to have for making detailed source citations, footnotes, etc.

Did I make that clear and understandable? Sorry I can't explain in Norwegian. My abilities in the language of my ancestors are limited to the very limited vocabulary of the old Norwegian parish records and small bits and pieces from bygdebøker (with the help of my much used and tattered Norwegian-English dictionary). I translate one word at a time and very slowly.
Although born in the American midwest, I now have a Texas accent myself and my feeble attempts to speak Norwegian usually brings those who can to their knees in hysterical laughter.

Scott mentioned Norse, Texas. You in Norway may be interested in that location. It is now considered a Texas Ghost Town and is a location that had disappeared from most maps. It was the area for the largest settlement of Norwegian emigrants in the state of Texas.
http://www.texasescapes.com/CentralTexasTownsNorth/NorseTexas/NorseTexas.htm

Personal note -- If you are NOT fond of lutefisk - avoid Bosque County Texas in December!! They send out loud invitations to all of us in Texas to join them for the feast and I hide here (in Austin Texas) hoping I won't have to face the "stuff".

Edited by - Hopkins on 18/03/2007 12:21:16
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2007 :  12:56:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Hopkins for assisting me, It´s to many :&_?/- to make the spelling work every time.
Kåre
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2007 :  15:49:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Weddding Nov. 8. 1855: Ungkarl og Husmandsøn (Bachelor and Cotters son) Ole Olsen Kaasa juxebø age 24 and pige og Husmandsdatter (unmarried girl and cotters daughter) Anne Jacobsdatter Trykkerud age 21: See couple #12 http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=5983&idx_id=5983&uid=ny&idx_side=-167
Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 15/04/2017 00:00:50
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2007 :  16:12:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anne Jacobsdatter Trykkerud and her father, widower Jacob Halvorsen age 54 and and heer siblings on 1865 census: http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&sidenr=2&filnamn=f60822&gardpostnr=319%merk=319#ovre
Kåre
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2007 :  22:29:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Continuing from page 2 above, Sandsværs Historie, and Sjul Helgesen Hov born 1777. He was son of Helge Anundsen Hotvedt 1731-1777 and Dorthe Marie Sjulsdatter Bø 1734-1781, daughter of Sjul Anundsen Bø 1684- dead before1739 and Anne Hansdatter Graven 1701- dead after 1739. Sjul Anundsen was son of Anund Mortensen Bø 1640-1701 and Eli Kristensdatter Lindum dead after 1702. Anund Mortensen was son of Morten Anundsen Strenge 1604-1661 and Åse Olsdatter Hvam dead after 1683, daughter of Ole Rolfsen Hvam about 1614- dead after 1661 and unknown wife, son of Rolf Olsen S. (Southern Hvam about 1585-1650 and Gunbjørg Lauritsdatter on N. Hvam.
Sandsværs Historie take this family back to farm Søum about 1250.
Kåre
Go to Top of Page

Lester Hanson
Advanced member

USA
567 Posts

Posted - 20/03/2007 :  05:23:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Scott, you originally asked for a ship name your ancestors used. Thanks to Jan Peter's post, where they emigrated on 17 May 1883, Halvor and Karen Olson traveled on the S/S Geiser from Christiania, to Chrisiansand, to New York, and arrived June 2, 1883.

Halvor Olson age 25.
Olette do age24.
Ole do age 8 mo.

For ancestry.com users, they are image 16 of 20. I could not get the Search feature to find them. Had to use 1 page at a time.

Found Halvor(age52) and Karen(age 51) Olson in the 1910 Census, Minnesota, Yellow Medicine County, Friendship locality, with 6 children. Ole is absent.

Henry, age 23
Alfred age 20
Gina age 18
Hilda age 15
Clarence age 13
Elma age 7.

Henry and Alfred can also be found in the 1920 censuses.

Ole may have used the name Olaf Olson. The 1920 and 1930 census for Minnesota, Yellow Medicine County, Canby lists him as single, with a couple year variations in age and immigration.

I think your "Olson" relatives kinda took over Winnisheik, Iowa, and Yellow Medicine, Minnesota.

Les
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 20/03/2007 :  09:59:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lester and Jan Peter is right, their son Ole was born on farm Hellebæk in Øvre (Upper) Sandsvær municipality Sept. 14. 1882 and bap. in Hedenstad church:link on Nov. 5. Parents Halvor Olsen Sagfossen and Olette Helgesdatter (Hoff-Hov). Olette was bap in Efteløt church in Ytre (Outher) Sandsvær municipality in Efteløt church:link and Halvor was bap in Sauherad church in Saude/Sauherad municipality in Telemark County: Link
Kongsberd is a nearby town, that´s likely why they are listed from Kongsberg in th US records.
Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 14/04/2017 23:55:53
Go to Top of Page

Thiassi
Starting member

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 20/03/2007 :  19:02:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you. I've downloaded some family tree software(Legacy 5.0) and getting started. I don't know how ya'll do it.

Vikingism.com
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 20/03/2007 :  23:39:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
More look ups:
Sagfossen was a cotters place under Øvre (Upper) Kløvstad, close to a small river named Kløvstadelva (sag=sawmill, elv=river, foss = waterfall). The rent was 16 Spd/Speseidaler, 64 Kroner a year
Ole Olsen Kaasa (under Klevar) and Anne Jacobsdatter Slettemoen /Trykkerud under Angaard in Juxe /Hjuksebø area left Sauherad in Telemark county and moved to Sagfossen in Sandsvær municipality in Buskerud County in 1873. The houses are gone now, but the barn was moved to farm Hørtvedt in 1936 and the house/place to live was bought by a local museum, but is still only stored there. Halvor and Olette was renters on Hellebæk for a about a year until the emigration in 1883.
Halvor´s brother Jacob b. 1860 in Sauherad emigrated in 1884. dep. port Oslo, April 25. Dest: New York, ship Rollo (Wilson line).
Next emigration was 8 years later on march 25. 1892 when Halvor´s parents Ole Olsen Kaasa/Sagfossen and Anne Jacobsdatter and 5 children: Kjersti b. 1862 in Saude/Sauherad, Hans b. 1868 in Saude, John b. 1871 in Saude, Anne Marie b. 1874 in Saude-bap. in Efteløt in Sandsvær and Ingeborg b. 1877 on Sagfossen in Sandsvær leftSandsvær. (No dep. port or ship found on these people).
John returned later to take his engaged to be married, Mathilde Daleløkka with him back to America, but something happend between them and a album with a "music box" bought as a gift to Mathilde was instead given to his best friend Jon Olsen on Øvre Kjørstad and it is still kept on the farm. John returned to USA alone.
Source: Sandsværs Historie b. IV, p. 547.
Sandsværs Historie also has a photo of Maren Olettes parents, Helge Sjulsen Hov and Johanne Marie Andreasdatter Dalseie (cotters place owned by Dal) and the farms: Hov, Bø, Hvam and Øvre Kjørstad.
Kåre
Go to Top of Page

Thiassi
Starting member

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2007 :  18:43:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hopkins

Scott mentioned Norse, Texas. You in Norway may be interested in that location. It is now considered a Texas Ghost Town and is a location that had disappeared from most maps. It was the area for the largest settlement of Norwegian emigrants in the state of Texas.
http://www.texasescapes.com/CentralTexasTownsNorth/NorseTexas/NorseTexas.htm

Personal note -- If you are NOT fond of lutefisk - avoid Bosque County Texas in December!! They send out loud invitations to all of us in Texas to join them for the feast and I hide here (in Austin Texas) hoping I won't have to face the "stuff".

I had to go to a funeral in Norse, Tx the other day. I got a Norway cook book from the church and I hope I can make the futtiman cookeis. I hear they are great.

Vikingism.com

Edited by - Thiassi on 07/07/2015 22:07:11
Go to Top of Page

Gwen Hauser
New on board

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2015 :  07:25:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My father is John Imes. His parents, Carl Ims and Alma Eye (Oye) farmed in Minnesota Falls, Mn. His father's parents, Jonas and Anna (Mauritzen) Ims, farmed in Sioux Agency, Yellow Medicine County, Mn. My father is 90 years old (born 1924) and still golfs 18 holes. I am putting together a book that includes family portraits and information. Hey "Hopkins" I am curious how we are related.
GH
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2015 :  14:33:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In 2007 when this thread was active I thought I noticed a common link to my family tree in that Jonas Olson Ims great-great grandparents are probably a match with two of my ancestors from that fjord. So if that is the case we would be very distant cousins.
Go to Top of Page

Thiassi
Starting member

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2015 :  22:08:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hopkins

In 2007 when this thread was active I thought I noticed a common link to my family tree in that Jonas Olson Ims great-great grandparents are probably a match with two of my ancestors from that fjord. So if that is the case we would be very distant cousins.

Nice to see another cousin :)

Vikingism.com
Go to Top of Page

Thiassi
Starting member

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2017 :  18:17:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did the Ancestry DNA test and found I'm only 31% Norwegian. I really thought I would be higher than that. But looking over all this information again is very exciting. A big thanks to everyone!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article