All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 Norwegians in America
 Family in Norway
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

FredHoltan
Starting member

Canada
6 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2007 :  23:18:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm looking for relatives of Haaken Holtan son of Sorin of Stavanger. Is there anyone knows anything about my father/grandfather?

tlwright65

USA
433 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2007 :  23:55:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What's his birthdate?

Tami

Edited by - tlwright65 on 10/04/2007 23:59:14
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2007 :  00:23:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tami has boiled it down to one brief question pretty well. Let me expand upon that - We need to know what time period 'Haaken Holtan' lived in the city of Stavanger. When was he born? when did he live there? if he emigrated - approximately when? We have experienced searchers in a number of Stavanger sources - but which would be the appropriate era?? If you have any information about other members of the family please list that too.
I have family history in the city of Stavanger and have used many different sources for family history research - but without more information I wouldn't dream of starting a search.
Go to Top of Page

FredHoltan
Starting member

Canada
6 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2007 :  01:11:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
my father's birtday was jan 13 1913 I do that he was at sea when norway surrender to germany he never returned
Go to Top of Page

tlwright65

USA
433 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2007 :  02:01:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you happen to know Søren's birthdate or maybe a last name?

Tami
Go to Top of Page

Brining
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
868 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2007 :  04:10:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Assuming that Sorin had the same last name as Haaken (this was not always so in Norway) there are two Sorin Holtan's in the 1900 census. One is too young to be Haaken's father but there is one in Eidanger Telemark Click Here who is about 24 and he has a brother named Haaken. He would be a possibility but would need more information to make a definate connection
Carla
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2007 :  19:35:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I also think Haakon had the same lastname as his father Søren, in 1913 that was common.
Holtan´s origin is a farm name, but if both Haakon and Søren used Holtan or his father´s last name or both we still don´t know.

Look ups in the records online from Stavanger gave no answer so fare.

Haakon and Håkon has the same pronunciation, aa = å, both can have been used in the church records.
Søren can be translated to Soeren in English

Kåre
Go to Top of Page

FredHoltan
Starting member

Canada
6 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2007 :  23:25:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i will have more info tomorrow thank you
Go to Top of Page

Lislcat
Advanced member

USA
690 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2007 :  00:01:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On Ancestry.com, I found Haakon Holtan arriving in New York on March 22, 1946. He signed on as one of the seamen. It lists him as age 33 and of Norwegian decent. He came over on the SS Roald Amundsen from Hull, England. The original port is listed as Oslo, Norway, but I don't know if he was on the ship for that part of the voyage. I'll keep looking.

Fred, if you don't already have this info, I can send you a copy.

Take care, Wanda

Lislcat
Go to Top of Page

Brining
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
868 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2007 :  05:09:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In the headstone listing for All Saints Anglican Church Cemetery (New) Bayswater, Lunenburg, Nova Scotia There is a Haakon Holtan 1913-1982 with a listing that appears to be his wife Stella M. 1935 - (no death date listed).
Click Here
Is it possible that this is your father?

Carla
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2007 :  09:50:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All Norwegian ships during WW2 was reistered in Nortra-Ship, the world largest shipping company established by the Norwegian exile Government in London April 1940 with more than 1000 ships. The ships was given back to the owners summer 1945.

Nortra-ship had a main office in 80 Broad Street Manhattan. About 10% of the ships and the seamen was lost in convoying in the Atlantic. Many ot the seamen settled down in New York after the war.

Thanks to Wanda, her is
D/S Roald Amundsen:

http://www.warsailors.com/singleships/roaldamundsen.html

I don´t have acess to these registers which are saved in the archives at Digitalarkivet, not online.

Perhaps more look-ups into this link in English. http://www.warsailors.com/freefleet/nortraship.html ore others in this fora can help.

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 12/04/2007 20:57:06
Go to Top of Page

FredHoltan
Starting member

Canada
6 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2007 :  15:55:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carla that is my father. Soren Lund Holtan 1876-1952 wife Laura 1878-? are his parents. I have a norwegian book Sandar Grend og gard 1850-1970. The info is on page 290 Skaren 72/2.Sorry i can not trans late.
Go to Top of Page

FredHoltan
Starting member

Canada
6 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2007 :  00:38:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi if anybody can give me more info thank you I am stil loking for more info and possible family info thanks
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2007 :  02:52:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wonder why anyone might call him "Sorin of Stavanger"? Maybe he moved there later in life.

He appears in the 1900 Norwegian census twice. He was born in 1876 in Porsgrund, Telemark. He worked on a ship (unnamed) at the time of the 1900 census -
http://www.rhd.uit.no/folketellinger/ftliste_e.aspx?ft=1900&knr=0015&kenr=skl&bnr=0007&lnr=skl
He is also listed as a member of his parents' household in Eidanger, Telemark in 1900 - (Carla had this one exactly right on the 11th with almost no identifying information!)
http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&sidenr=1&filnamn=f00813&gardpostnr=187&sokefelt=skjul

You'll find excellent 'how-to' information in the LINKS in the upper right section of this page.
Translating from Norwegian will be a necessary thing if you plan on continuing research into Norwegian ancestors - you'll find fairly long translation lists also under that LINKS area and a good Norwegian-English dictionary would be a good addition to your personal reference library.

The book you have is probably Sandar : grend og gård 1850-1970, med tidsbilder fra næringsliv og kulturhistorie by Vilhelm Møller which was published in 3 volumes between 1977 and 1985 (published by Sandefjord Kommune). Sandefjord/Sandar area is in Vestfold, Norway (not close to Stavanger).
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2007 :  04:04:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Søren Lund born 15 Dec 1876 -- the Porsgrund Telemark church baptismal record is #27 on the following page -
http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=1391&idx_id=1391&uid=ny&idx_side=-158
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2007 :  08:36:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is more information on the records from Porsgrunn. When Søren Lund Holtans baptism was confirmed (he was baptized at home) one of the godfathers were Søren Lund!

Looking up on the baptism of Søren Lunds mother Laura Hannine it becomes evident that Lauras father was styrmann (first mate) Søren Larsen Lund (her mother was Elen Marie Paus from Østre (Eastern) Porsgrunn) #55 here http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=1390&idx_id=1390&uid=ny&idx_side=-86

Hans Holtan and Laura Lund were married Jan 9 1872 see #1 http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=1391&uid=ny&idx_side=-296.

Hans was born in Solum parish Jan 28 1845 see #10 http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=4970&uid=ny&idx_side=-11.

Here it becomes evident where Hans got his last name Holtan. His parents Ole Olsen and Catrine Mathilde Rasmusdatter gaardfolk (farming people) - Holteeiet.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 27/04/2007 13:01:51
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article