All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Hanna & Jens Hage
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 31/05/2007 :  12:44:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Alex, hope you have slept well.
Hopkins, you was right about when Jens Hage was born.

Jens Hage´s birth record from Falnes/Ferkingstad in Skudesnes parish, bap. nr 57:
Born March 11-bap. April 7, Jens: Parents Salve Anbjørnsen Hage i Skudesneshavn and Anne Malene Jacobsdatter, next is his godparents

http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=1656&idx_id=1655&uid=ny&idx_side=-86

Jens was baptised Oct. 4 1868 in Skudesnes, nr 9:
Jens Hage: Parents Jens Anbjørnsen Hage og Anne malene Jacobsdatter

http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=5698&idx_id=5698&uid=ny&idx_side=-257

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 31/05/2007 13:48:42
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 31/05/2007 :  13:29:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jens' wife was NOT called Hanna in Norway - she was Johanne born in Skudeneshavn January 1854, the daughter of Kornelius Korneliusen and Kristine Olsdatter. She is listed in the census with the incorrect middle name of Gurine - it was actually Kornelia/Cornelie. Her birth/baptism record is found in Skudenes parish book A.3.1, page 65, entry #13.
http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&sidenr=6&filnamn=f61150&gardpostnr=866&sokefelt=skjul
Johanne and Jens married 23 May 1876 in Skudeneshavn and that record can be found in the parish record Bok A4 1864-1881, page 305, entry #26.
They had five (5) children in Skudeneshavn before they emigrated to the states, including one set of twins. Norwegian records mistakenly list them as heading to Linn Grove, Minnesota - but that was actually Linn Grove in Iowa (Buena Vista County). Jens and Johanne had two more children while they lived in Iowa, a girl and a boy. They lost at least one Norway born child and possibly two at a very early age and either while they were enroute to the US or very shortly after.

I have no intentions on dumping a huge amount of information of "raw information" on my new cousin Alex this early in the hobby of genealogy. There are some preliminaries and introductions to finish. There is a huge amount of information easily available to those of us who know where to look, family stories and a stack of old photos still waiting to be identified. But there are also persons who have done some very sloppy research on this family line previously and I'd like to help Alex avoid those pitfalls.
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 31/05/2007 :  14:04:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi hopkind and thank you for correction me. I was wondering why I coulnt find any Hanna in the church records so my posting about her is canceled.

Her is Johanne

Born Jan. 8, bap Feb. 9. 1854 in Ferkingstad local parish, nr 13, Johanne Cornelie, daughter of merchant Cornelius Corneliusen Skudesnes and Christine (Corneliusen) Olsdatter

http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=1656&idx_id=1656&uid=ny&idx_side=-83

Good luck in the further work helping your new cousin Alex .

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 31/05/2007 14:35:49
Go to Top of Page

Loki714
Starting member

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 31/05/2007 :  16:26:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thank you all, this is all so sudden and very interesting. i found myself at first just wanting to travel to norway, to wanting to learn the language, and then wnting to learn the family history. i only just very recently (as in days ago) starting in the family history. and i can honestly say, i have never been so hungry for info as i am now, and im glad to have found another source of great knowledge. As for the searching part, i have no clue where to begin, as im so knew to this, and im very glad for the help and this knew discovery.
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 31/05/2007 :  17:57:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hold on - I'll be glad to help you learn and work with you on the Hage family, but I have obligations through much of today that may keep me away from the computer a great deal. I was starting a little earlier before my first appointments - but a thunderstorm knocked me off the Internet.
Hopefully by this weekend we can have private email and/or snail mail connection with each other - then we won't bore everyone else to death with details about the Hage family.
I'll write more later as time permits. If you have a bit of time check out what is available in the articles on this website and under LINKS near the upper right corner of this page.
Go to Top of Page

Loki714
Starting member

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 31/05/2007 :  18:02:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
alright thanks a bunch. i would enjoy that, and no worries about replying fast or not. and feel free to email, its in my profile
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 31/05/2007 :  18:32:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've got a couple minutes - let's first talk maps and locations.

Skudeneshavn is on the island of Karmøy in Rogaland, Norway. Like the US is divided into states, Canada is divided into provinces, Switzerland is divided into cantons, Norway is divided into fylker. (Fylke in the singular). Rogaland is a fylke in the far southwest of Norway. Stavanger is the largest city in Rogaland. We English speaking researchers often refer to the Norwegian fylker as "counties" (probably because we are terrified that we'll misprounounce fylker).

A link to some rather crude maps of Norway - http://www.rootsweb.com/~norway/NorMap1.html
At bottom of opening page you can see location of Rogaland. Then go back up the webpage and click on Rogaland to see a map of that fylke.

See the city of Stavanger? Karmøy is to the northwest of that city - the small city of Haugesund on the north end and the little port of Skudeneshavn on the farm southern end.
The family name "Hage" comes from the Haga farm where Salve Hage was born and had several generations of earlier family history. The Haga farm is located along the western coast of Karmøy between Skudeneshavn and the location labelled as Ferkingstad.

Enter Skudeneshavn in your favorite search engine - you'll find at least a couple of webcams and plenty of pictures, old and new. Talk later...

Go to Top of Page

Loki714
Starting member

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 31/05/2007 :  19:08:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
oh yes, aunt stella use to mention the farm and thats where the hages were from. it had totally slipped from my mind until i read that. there was so much still to learn from her, but i was around 13 yrs old the time of her passing and i was more into playing games with her and just hanging out, i knew she always talked about family but at that age, things went in one ear and out the other and i regret it fully.
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 31/05/2007 :  19:58:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Immediately to the north of Stavanger you should notice the island district of Rennesøy. Salve Hage's wife, Anne Mallene Jakobsdatter, was born in Rennesøy and we have generations of family history also on those various islands.

The little port of Skudeneshavn was a major place for herring fisheries from about 1808 to 1870. The number of people who lived in Skudeneshavn increased from 90 in 1801 to 1317 in 1875. During the height of Skudeneshavn's "golden age" about 15,000 could sometimes be found living in or near Skudeneshavn. Salve Hage became a merchant citizen (licensed) of Stavanger in 1838. Salve Hage owned various ships, usually with a group of partners, rather like a consortium. All the ships I've been able to identify were sailing ships and not converting to steam ships may have contributed to the families decine of fortune. He had involvement with a great deal of trade to and from South America, and also into the Mediterranean. He only had an interest in one ship that carried emigrants from Norway to America - and that one only did that for ONE trip.

At least four of Salve's sons are known to have been ship captains or in other capacities on the sailing ships. Also several of his sons -in-law were employed in the same occupation.

Salve Arnbjørnsen (Haga), b. 1808, d. 1870 -- son of Arnbjørn Pedersen (Haga) and Marta Jensdatter (Syre). Salve was the first in the family to start using Hage as his surname.
You should study the several articles about Norwegian naming patterns and practices.
Go to Top of Page

Loki714
Starting member

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 31/05/2007 :  20:05:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thank you, i shall try and look into that, sounds interesting.... i had no clue about the naming...

as far as i know, from what aunt stella would tell me, we still have cousins living and running main fisheries in stavanger to this day.
some of the other older members such as gretta still kept in contact with them through letters until late... gretta isnt doing to well these days and mgiht have plans of moving into a home.. gretta is the last one suriving, if you wanna know more about them i could ask my grandma(tobias' daughter)...if youd like to know more about them...

Edited by - Loki714 on 31/05/2007 20:33:05
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 31/05/2007 :  20:42:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If Gretta is ill - don't let anyone just toss out her old papers. Things like those old papers and letters are better than GOLD to a family history fanatic.

I have also made several contacts with distant cousins in the general area of Stavanger. One has produced a booklet of his family history which includes quite a bit about the Hages since his ancestor was married to Salve Hage's eldest daughter. I'm trying to contact a number of the distant cousins in the Hage family tree - I want their specific permission before I pass out any information about them to you. Protecting privacy is important to all of us.
Go to Top of Page

Loki714
Starting member

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 31/05/2007 :  20:54:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yes of course i fully understand... and yes, we are not sure just how long gretta still has... shes been a real fighter but as of late has gone really downhill .. all papers have been kept and anything of that nature, my grandma has kept... as i said, i am trying to get her to jumpstart her progress on the starts of the hage family book, shes completed all the family but the hages so far since she has the biggest stash of hage history...

--and i would love to post more about what we have, but i didnt get that much of a chance to write down more from what my grandma has, shes sort of the head historian of the family, and we arent exactly that close in distance, about a 40 min drive away. as soon as i get more info from her i wll be sure to pass it along and see how it all matches up. this is an awesome and interesting experiance for me and im glad for all your help--

Edited by - Loki714 on 31/05/2007 20:58:01
Go to Top of Page

Loki714
Starting member

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2007 :  05:39:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
what i have:

Salve hage>Jens hage>Sigmund Hage>Tobias Hage>Karen M.(Tobies daughter-married into the Plogs"my current last name")>Suzan(Karens daughter-married into the Nichols)>Alex(suzans son-me, Alex Plog)--(my biological father i have not met but he is of mexican heritage)
So as far as i can tell, thats my link into the Hage Family. Ive been raised knowing of my norwegian heritage and thats where most my family was from but not up until this past weekend i feel the urge to know as much as i can. Ive always been one to have my family above all else, i might as well know the past as well as the future.

theres more to it then that, im workin on it frantic at the moment trying to see what i can piece all together, once i am done ill let you know, maybe send through email.

Edited by - Loki714 on 01/06/2007 07:57:31
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2007 :  14:03:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, we Americans of Norwegian heritage tend to be pretty proud of it.

Expect a private email later today. I have a great deal of information about the Hage family history and we can discuss how we might share that info. I'd also like to help you learn how to track the other branches of your Norwegian background.

The Hages will be easy - I know where all of that is. The wife of Jens Hage, Johanne Korneliusdatter, will be more challenging but not too difficult for you. The wife of Sigmund was a Norwegian "Thompson" and we can discuss your plan of research for that too.
Go to Top of Page

Nacho
Starting member

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2018 :  20:07:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Eleven years on, I discover some posts by Hage cousins here on Norway Heritage forum. Cool.

My line descends from Jens Hage & Hannah Corneliussen via their daughter S. Marie Hage, who my mother called "Grandma Marie". Even though I think I met the Cerritos CA based Hage family once in the 1970s, we never really connected with them though we lived near them. My grandma listed Sig, Pete, Toby and Margaret, and the Schottmullers in her address book and surely kept in some contact. My grandmother had a genealogical curiosity but I didn't catch the bug until long after she was gone.

Only recently dove into this line so would be happy to get dialogue started with Alex and Mr. Hopkins and other cousins. My mom's maternal line is quite Swedish and German; her paternal line is this Norwegian Hage, plus English and various other. The Swedish great aunts made plenty of lefse, fresh doughnuts and Swedish pancakes! Hoping to travel to Scandinavia one day to see Skudenes and the farmland where they lived.

Edited by - Nacho on 10/01/2018 00:04:58
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article