All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Hanna & Jens Hage
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2018 :  21:02:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jens and Johanna were both born in Skudeneshavn - the picturesque little port city at the southern end of Karmøy. Look that up on the Internet and enjoy the beautiful photos. I've always wished I could visit Skudeneshavn on May 17th of any year and experience their small town version of the Norwegian national day.

Was your Marie (b. Oct 1884 Iowa) the daughter of Jens and Johanna who married a Robert Norton?

Edited by - Hopkins on 09/01/2018 22:02:43
Go to Top of Page

Nacho
Starting member

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2018 :  00:11:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hopkins

Was your Marie (b. Oct 1884 Iowa) the daughter of Jens and Johanna who married a Robert Norton?

Yes that was my great grandmother. My grandfather Robt. Bud Norton was a cad so my grandma ditched him when my mom was still a child. That was probably part of the reason the distance between my family and Norton's Hage line grew. We have photos of Marie with Robt. Norton Sr. and their kids. A number of photos are unidentified so there may be a few Hage cousins among them.

Which line are you in, Mr. Hopkins?
Go to Top of Page

Nacho
Starting member

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2018 :  00:23:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's merely a naming coincidence that my adoptive father's Norwegian line is a Haga/Hagen but from Gol, Hollingdal. In 1881 Ole Hagen, an ancestor sold the stave church there to King Oscar II for his personal play park in Oslo. The story went like this:

In 1869, my grandma's great uncle Ola/Ole Hagen owned the land and church in Gol first built in 1212. Ole was the brother of my grandma's grandfather Knut Haga. Their father Colbjorn Hagen was listed as owner before Ole in 1829. A wealthy landowner was traditionally responsible as caretaker for the area's religious land upkeep. Knut changed his last name to Haga as there were too many Hagens in America.

As the landowner, Ole Hagen had the right to sell timber from the land to pay the parish pastor's salary. He was accused of cutting more timber than he was allowed. The town decided to build a new church around 1850. Ole offered to give the old church to the community. The town refused the offer so Ole sold the old stave church to the King of Norway, Oscar II, for 400 kroner in 1881. In 1884 the church was moved to the public park at Bygdø Kongsgård. Because the snow conditions for sled transportation was too poor, the disassembled church could not be moved to Christiania (Oslo) before in January 1884! In the summer that same year, the church was re-erected at Bygdøy and can be seen at the Folk Museum there in Oslo.

Although originally built in 1212, it was a working church until the 1880s so underwent many renovations and a few expansions. In the rebuilding, all attempts were made to maintain the original interior and ancient pagan details. Vikings!

Ole Hagen was so aggravated by the community (for not accepting the church and the accusations of taking more trees than his quota allowed) that he paid cash (thanks to all that extra lumber?) for a farm in Hurum near Oslo and moved his family and livestock there. The original key to the stave Kirke hung in the Haga home in Gol until it was donated to the new community church in Gol. Recently read that original key was given as memento to a long serving pastor of the church upon his departure from the parish. The key is now part of the symbol of Gol.

Duplicates of the rebuilt Gol Stav Kirke can be found at Gol, Disney Epcot Orlando, Rapid City, SD near Mt. Rushmore, and in Minot, ND. Haven't visited any of them yet either.
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2018 :  01:10:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Hallinglag had services in the Gol replica in Minot in 2008. It was an awesome experience.
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2018 :  03:39:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I feel like I've already explained this earlier in this multipage thread from 2007 but...
Jens Hage was my great grandfather's younger brother. My great grandfather was Jakob Andreas Salvesen [Hage] the fifth child and first born son to their parents. My grandparents were married in Jens and Johanna's home in Buena Vista Co. IA, Jens being my grandmother's uncle, and my family line remained in Iowa until this current generation when we have really started to scatter around the country and globe.
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2018 :  15:38:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Craig - The Alex Plog who began this thread in 2007 is your 2nd cousin once removed. Alex/Alexander also posted another query in Jan of 2017 on another message forum and also dropped that line of inquiry without response -
http://boards.rootsweb.com/surnames.hage/73/mb.ashx

I notice that you posted a response to another thread on that same message board -
http://boards.rootsweb.com/surnames.hage/58/mb.ashx
You would also be 2nd cousin once removed to the poster "K Kester" but a slightly more distant cousin to "PR".
Go to Top of Page

Nacho
Starting member

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2018 :  17:30:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for these tips, H. Good to see Rootsweb is back up after the hack compromising user info. Alex must have a number of users on Ancestry. I DM'd a couple of them plus a few other Hage connections. No replies from the others yet. I've found Alex Norsetech em address so I will email him. PR and KK may have retired from the quest. It appears Alex was seeking cousins on the ground in Norway. Fortunately, Norway has a few good tools to find places and people, however connecting to confirmed cousins requires knowing their lines, which is tremendously difficult with decades of separation. What ideas could you share on stalking living cousins in Norway? Are any of them interested in faraway family?

Apologies for asking you to repeat your connection. I too 'felt' like you did but asked again anyway without reviewing the thread thoroughly another time.
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2018 :  18:39:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Apparently it's only the message boards that are up at Rootsweb. The rest of the space is still being Ancestrified.
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 19/01/2018 :  17:12:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A pause for a few days under the weather...

Yes, there are 'Hage cousins' still in Norway (but not necessarily using Hage as surname). In past years I have been in contact with several - but we have not kept up contact.

Can I please ask why contact living relatives there? for what purpose? I never found any reason beyond greetings and well wishes.
Go to Top of Page

Nacho
Starting member

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2018 :  14:15:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hopkins

Can I please ask why contact living relatives there? for what purpose? I never found any reason beyond greetings and well wishes.

Greetings are a sound reason. My paternal grandmothers side is from Gol Hallingdal and that line has occasionally reached out to their American cousins. Just returning the good vibes of global outreach. Connections I’ve made with far away relatives have occasionally satisfied mutual curiosity. Someone may have photos of ancestors born in 1801 they don’t mind sharing. I just sent same to folks in Gol.
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2018 :  18:34:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
PR is still very much about - but no longer under that user name. Also quite a bit more reclusive since having been taken advantage of by "cousins" stealing family history work and claiming it as their own product including publishing information meant to be entirely private.

You can find family trees for Salve Arnbjørnsen Hage online at Ancestry and at the FamilySearch website of the LDS church. A few of those appear to have been fairly well done - but some others are sorely lacking and obviously were never checked against primary records.

I have a very poor image of Salve (xerox of a xerox of a xerox unknown times) sent to me by a distant Hage cousin from a Minn twin cities suburb. I also have an image of Salve's gravestone still on Karmøy where another distant cousin in Stavanger has been paying to keep his burial site undisturbed.
Go to Top of Page

Nacho
Starting member

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2018 :  21:15:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have recently made contact with Nina Dalberg of the Jens & Hannah Hage line. Her grandfather was Peter Magnus. She shared some of ‘Aunt Stella’s’ lineage notes. Still no word from Alex Plog, but genealogy requires patience beyond vigilance. Nina sent a pic of Peter Magnus and I find a wide faced similarity between him and Marie. Nina has had contact with P Risvold.
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2018 :  18:05:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have not seen any place where Alex Plog has continued to do ANY research into the Hage family tree. So contact with him would probably be limited to more recent info.

My first experience in researching the Hage family tree was when I was provided with a couple pages from the book “Bygdebok for Karmøy: Skudenes og Skudeneshavn” by Arnvid Lillehammer. That book is now available online at the website Slektsforum Karmøy for free use.

My next step was to do my best to verify each item with the parish church records which still exist - and some time periods for Skudenes do not... I will admit that I've never learned to be proficient in using the original Norwegian probate records or land records.

Nacho -- the mention of nachos is making me hungry. Must check the pantry for tortilla chips... or perhaps take a trip to a favorite Mex restaurant.
Go to Top of Page

Nacho
Starting member

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2018 :  16:26:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
References on this forum lead me to the “Bygdebok for Karmøy: Skudenes og Skudeneshavn” on Sleksforum Karmøy website. It feels like discovering treasure. The entries on Sleksforum Karmøy have their associated local books listed so we can dig up more treasure elsewhere. It's super cool someone assayed the records and collated families, incredible that we can peruse them online. The amount of information on the family that you have assembled about their trades, etc. fills in a lot of color that goes far beyond names and dates in church and census data. Searching the original records is kinda frustrating. It's as though I'm clueless in selecting winning search criteria. Sometimes lucky, usually not.

We live in San Francisco, in the Mission which is home to gargantuan burritos. Large tortilllas (Guererro Mexico influence), black beans (Central American influence), Mole/Al Pastor/grilled fish or animal parts, salsa, cheese, sour cream, guac wrapped in foil. Weighing in at nearly two pounds plus chips and salsa, it's a few meals in one easy to portage container. When you visit SF, you have to get a burrito in La Mision. I will meet you there!
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2018 :  17:13:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The bygdebok for Skudenes og Skudeneshavn as posted on the Sleksforum Karmøy website has been "updated" when the genealogy group gets more information. I've found almost all of the information there to be accurate - with a few exceptions, mostly very minor.

I was just browsing through the life details I have collected through the years for Jens Salvesen Hage (1854-1932) and noticed I have not found him in the 1930 US census. Do you know where I should be looking and/or how his name might have been butchered in that?

You have link to the original birth/baptism record for your Jens?
https://media.digitalarkivet.no/kb20051214010374
His father's occupation is listed then as "Skibsreder". Salve did own and outfit sailing ships with a small group of other men - I think of them as a small private consortium. Jens is the only one of Salve's sons or sons-in-law that I never found ANY listing of work on the ships. He may have as a very young man - but I've never found any proof of that.

Burrito and nachos - I'm afraid I do not have a gargantuan appetite and such an generous offering would be wasted on me. Sounds wonderful though.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article