All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Andrew and Carrie Knutson
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Lislcat
Advanced member

USA
690 Posts

Posted - 30/07/2007 :  20:53:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I need some help with info on my great great grandparents.

This is what I know.

Anders Knutsen(Knudsen) was born November 14, 1835 in either Mykland or Arendal, Aust-Agder, Norway. I found an Anders Knudsen on the LDS site that lists his birth as Nov. 12, 1835 and the christening taking place in Mykland, Aust-Agder on December 13, 1835. It lists his parents as Knud Anderssen and Kari Tergjesdr. He immigrated in 1849, according to the 1900 and 1910 US censuses and I found him arriving in New York on the Juno from Arendal, on August 18, 1849.

I believe that he sailed with his mother and sister, plus his mother's brother's family. I found Karen Terjesdotter, age 34, but no Knud Anderssen. Just before her on the list is Svend Tergeson, age 27, along with 2 children and his wife. Anders is listed as being 13 and his sister, Guneld Knudsdotter is 15.

He married Carrie/Caroline/Karen/Katherine, last name unknown, abt 1857 in the states. She is listed as being born in January 1, 1840 in Hitterdal, Norway. Thanks to Hopkins, I know that the current name of Hitterdal is Heddal, in Telemark, Norway. They settled in Waupaca County, Wisconsin and went on to have 17children.

They are both buried in Park Cemetery, St. Lawrence Township, Waupaca County, Wisconsin. Carrie died October 12, 1929 and Andrew, October 20, 1931. At least I have longevity on this side of my family. She was almost 90 and he was close to 100!

I can't find records for 1835 in Mykland parish and was wondering if someone could help. I'm trying to find out Carrie's family name or her parents names, but so far nothing. I want to find out if the Anders Knudsen the LDS site lists, is "my" Anders Knutson. There records are off by two days and I have his birthday from his tombstone.

Thanks in advance for the help.
Take care,Wanda

Lislcat

Edited by - Lislcat on 30/07/2007 20:55:02

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 30/07/2007 :  21:09:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I went to the webpage you mention at the LDS website - familysearch.org

The specific record you quote shows a link to a Source Call No.: 0123544. Click on that link and it will take you to the description of the microfilm where the original record was found. It lists it that they have it under Herefoss prestegjeld (Aust-Agder). So if it isn't online YET at the Digitalarkivet you will be able to order that microfilm at your nearest Family History Center and see it anyway.

If you look further into the catalog it gives more information about the church records for the area which also give insight into the history of the area: "Contains priest and sexton records for the parishes Herefoss, Vegusdal and Mykland. Herefoss clerical district was established 1 Apr 1875 when Herefoss parish was seprated from Hommedal clerical district; Vegusdal parish from Evje clerical district; and Mykland parish from Åmli clerical district. Earlier church records for Herfoss, Vegusdal and Mykland parishes are in the above mentioned clerical districts."

No farm name hints exist for Carrie/Caroline/Karen/Katherine, last name unknown??? That's awful! Keep your fingers crossed - that increases difficulty HUGELY. What do US censuses give as the year that she came to US?

Edited by - Hopkins on 30/07/2007 21:12:35
Go to Top of Page

Lislcat
Advanced member

USA
690 Posts

Posted - 30/07/2007 :  21:38:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Hopkins,

I will look further into the LDS record that you mentioned. Thanks!

The 1910 census says that Carrie immigrated in 1847. I will find out a last name, sooner or later. I'm hoping to find an obit, when I go to the Wisconsin Historical Society in the near future.

I'm also having fun figuring out the names of all their 17 children and what happened to them. So far, I've got 14 and counting.

Thanks again! Wanda

Lislcat
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 31/07/2007 :  00:46:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In 1835 Mykland belonged to the Åmli Parish. You will find an Anders as #11 here http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=9925&idx_id=9925&uid=ny&idx_side=-58

Einar
Go to Top of Page

Lislcat
Advanced member

USA
690 Posts

Posted - 31/07/2007 :  03:19:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Einar,

I looked at that one too, but the dates didn't match with his birthdate. I have him as being born November 12, 1835 and the link that you listed has the birthdate as August 16, 1835. I just don't think the birthdates can be that far off, do you?

Thanks, Wanda

Lislcat
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 31/07/2007 :  12:50:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is a link to both Gunild & Anders:

Gunild Knudsdr
Birth: 02 FEB 1834
Christening: 16 FEB 1834. Mykland, Aust-Agder

Anders Knudsen
Birth: 12 NOV 1835
Christening: 13 DEC 1835 Mykland, Aust-Agder.

Even though Mykland belonged to Åmli parish, it have had it's own church since 1682, and was a local parish (sokn) under Åmli parish (prestegjeld).

Knud Anderssen & Kari Tergjesdr
Marriage: 17 JUL 1833, Mykland, Aust-Agder

Kari Tergjesdr/Terjesdr/Torgersdr, born ca 1815.

Her brother Sven?

Svend Torgersen
Birth: 30 DEC 1823
Christening: 08 FEB 1824, Mykland, Aust-Agder
Parents: Terje Naressen & Anne Evensdr

Can Tergie Næresen (19) on the Skieggedahl Nedre farm in Mykland, Aust-Agder be the father to your Kari?

His parents are Nære Aslaksen & Anne Tergiesdtr

What was the name of Svens wife and children, as listed on the Juno from Arendal, on August 18, 1849?

Jan Peter

Edited by - jwiborg on 31/07/2007 13:47:34
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 31/07/2007 :  14:32:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Terje Naeresen Skieggedahl (39) & widow(?) Anne Evensdr (...) (29)
Marriage: 24 JUN 1821, Tovdal in Åmli, Aust-Agder
Link1 Link2

Not so good though, that they married in 1821. That means they were not married at about 1815 when Kari Tergjesdr was born...

There are other Tergie Naeresen marriages in the same area... maybe he was a big consumer of wives?

Tergie Naeresen & Birthe Tellefsdr
Marriage: 25 JUN 1799, Aamli, Aust-Agder
(This can not be the one from Skieggedahl, since he was not married in 1801.)

Tergie Naeresen & Taaron Kiddelsdr
Marriage: 27 SEP 1807, Aamli, Aust-Agder

Jan Peter

Edited by - jwiborg on 31/07/2007 15:12:40
Go to Top of Page

Lislcat
Advanced member

USA
690 Posts

Posted - 31/07/2007 :  17:40:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jan Peter, wow! Even from around the world, you still managed to find the information I was looking for. Thanks!!!

The church is beautiful. I wonder if Knud Andersen is buried there? He must of died young or he would of been with them.

I'm not sure who Svend Tergeson's wife is, but I think there is only one child with him on the boat and that is Terje Svendson, 6 months. They have the list alphabetically, so I can't identify his wife. There are other Svendson's and Svendsdatter's but they are too old to be his children, since some are older than him.

This is a lot to take in, so I'm going to read through it again and see if I can locate a death record for Knud Anderson.

Thanks again, Wanda

Lislcat
Go to Top of Page

Lislcat
Advanced member

USA
690 Posts

Posted - 31/07/2007 :  17:56:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe Svend and Kari have different mother's? Could it be that Taaron Kiddelsdr was her mother and died after she was born and then her father married Anne Evensdr and they had Svend?

Something to look into.

Thanks again, Wanda

Lislcat
Go to Top of Page

Lislcat
Advanced member

USA
690 Posts

Posted - 31/07/2007 :  19:24:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Could someone please help with occupation? I believe it means that he farmed on a farm that wasn't his. If this is the case, then it wouldn't be considered to be a family farm, correct?

http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&sidenr=6&filnamn=f10929&gardpostnr=66&sokefelt=skjul&merk=1183

What is a allodialist? Freeholder, I think I understand, but not allodialist.

Thanks, Wanda

Lislcat
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 31/07/2007 :  19:40:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Google search is a wonderful thing -
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=Allodialist&r=66
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 31/07/2007 :  22:11:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Top of left page
Engagement between ”Ung Karl Tergie Næresen nedre Skieggedal og Pigen Taaron Kiddelsd. Østenaae” were recorded at Hillestad Sept 27 1807. (normally they were married the same year)

Einar
Go to Top of Page

Lislcat
Advanced member

USA
690 Posts

Posted - 31/07/2007 :  23:05:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Einar,
That makes sense since the link to the LDS record of their marriage that Jan Peter found, shows that they married on September 27, 1807. How neat is that to have an engagement announcement. I haven't found anything like that before. Thanks!

Hopkins,
I found out what allodialist means, and allodial. \Al*lo"di*al\, a. [LL. allodialis, fr. allodium: cf. F. allodial. See Allodium.] (Law) Pertaining to allodium; freehold; free of rent or service; held independent of a lord paramount; -- opposed to feudal; as, allodial lands; allodial system. --Blackstone.
Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, © 1996, 1998 MICRA, Inc.

My question is, does this mean that he was able to farm someone else's land, without having to pay rent? That would seem like a very good deal, if you hadn't inherited a family farm. So this would not be considered to be a family farm, since he did not own it, correct?

Thanks again for all your help.
Wanda

Lislcat
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2007 :  01:35:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The way I've always interpreted the concept (American background) was that a person with ALLOIDIAL rights to land was a person who had ownership and/or right to farm at least some percentage of the property and it was usually proven by an ancestral line of family ownership of the same piece of property. Therefore it would be an "inherited" right although I'm sure there might have existed legal means to transfer alloidal rights to a piece of property..

I would not assume that "he was able to farm someone else's land, without having to pay rent"... where I grew up you'd have to make some sort of payment. A contract for a part of any profit or perhaps a contract for labor in place of money payment.
Go to Top of Page

Lislcat
Advanced member

USA
690 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2007 :  03:19:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Hopkins!

If I understand this correctly, the farm keeps it's name, but different people may actually own parts of it, that they farm on. That makes sense.

I appreciate the help.
Take care, Wanda

Lislcat
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2007 :  14:57:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Norwegian farms - some background information
http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~norway/na27.html
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article