All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 Norwegians in America
 Johannes Johannesson b. 1814 Habakken
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JenJohnson
Starting member

Belgium
28 Posts

Posted - 22/09/2007 :  00:35:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am looking for his parents. What might Habakken refer to? He died in Freeborn County in MN, USA. His wife never left Norway: Ingeleiv Jensdtr Moldo b. 1812. They had sons John Overgaard Johnson (obviously Americanized) b. 1836 and Ola Johannesson Moldo b. 1840. John Overgaard Johnson died 1929 in Freedborn County. John O. Johnson said he arrived in the US in 1858. John's first wife is Sonneva Monsdtr. Tonjum b. 1833, his second wife is Ragnhild Pedersdtr (Laerdal) b. 1835, and his third wife is Ann Pederson b Norway 1843- d 1920 Freeborn County, MN. Any information on Ragnhild would be appreciated as well. Thanks!

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 22/09/2007 :  01:32:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are farms called Tønjum, Haabakken, Molde and Øvregaard in Lærdal district of Sogn og Fjordane, Norway. Most names like that originated with names of farms or residences.

The church birth/baptismal records for the chapels and parishes in the Lærdal district are to some extent scanned and available online.
The second young boy on the left hand page MIGHT be the one you seek -
Johannessen b. 15 Jul 1814

Search for such a common name always indicates that more research will need to be done to make sure that that is the ONLY possible match - or the BEST possible match.

If you haven't used Norwegian church records before you can study up online. There is an excellent article about the topic in this group -
http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~norway/articles.html

You should also read the enclosed article about Norwegian naming practices.
Actually ALL those articles are well worth your time to study.

There's another EXCELLENT article about Norwegian naming available on this website.
http://www.norwayheritage.com/norwegian-names.htm

You'll find a number of excellent articles for "newbies" also available from this website. Also check the "Links" (upper part of this page) for a link to helpful lists of translated words.
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 22/09/2007 :  03:07:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From the same online scanned church records -

Ole Johannes. 17 Feb 1840

Johannes "John" Johannes. 30 Nov 1836

Their parents were not married - not for either child. But the boys do share the same two parents.

Ragnilda Peders. 26 Oct 1835

You'll probably want to try searching the scanned records for yourself.

The Digitalarkivet web site has been adding scanned images of the original Norwegian parish church records for anyone with Internet access since November 2005. They are planning that this project of adding the records may be finished by the end of the year 2007. More records are added every week.

The Digitalarkivet web site - http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/WebFront.exe?slag=vis&tekst=meldingar
An English option is available by clicking on that word from either the left hand column or the blue link bar along the bottom of the homepage.
The scanned images are available from the homepage link "Skanna kyrkjebøker" [Norwegian version]/"Digitised parish records" [English version] which is listed along the left hand column and from the blue banner of links along the top section of the homepage.
After you've clicked on that link and a new main page has presented on the screen be sure and read the instructions that are available from the Digitalarkivet for navigating the scanned records. The instructions are available in Bokmål (official Norwegian), Nyorsk (Norwegian), Davvisámegiella (Saami), and English.
Recommended basic reading are the "Startsiden" [Norwegian version]/"Main page" [English version], "Brukerveiledning" [Norwegian version]/"User's guide" [English version] and "Om tjenesten" [Norwegian version]/"About this service" [English version].

When you've studied and used the instructions and been able to find a scanned page that you'd like to capture as a URL to share with someone else or save for your family history documentation - just copying the URL that your browser shows will NOT provide a working link.

Working direct links to the scanned images on the Digitalarkivet can be copied and pasted from the desired page from a display option available. At the top of the scanned image page is an option labeled "Bildeinformasjon:" [Norwegian version]/"Image Information"[English version] which is by default set to "Ingen" [Norwegian version]/"None" [English version]. Change that and magic is available. Of the three options I like "Øverst" [Norwegian version]/"On top" [English version] because it puts the additional information across the top of the page and is usually easier for me to see.

Copy either the permanent page link on the line "Permanent sidelenke:" [Norwegian version]/"Permanent pagelink" [English version] or the permanent image link "Permanent bildelenke:" [Norwegian version]/"Permanent imagelink" [English version] given. The permanent page link will bring the user to the exact same web page location, with source information displayed and with all the choices for viewing at ratios from 20 to 150%. The permanent image will display only a jpg image file with greatly more limited zoom capabilities.

The first line "Kildeinformasjon:" [Norwegian version]/"Source information" [English version] is a really nice summary of the source of the information and is wonderful to have for making detailed source citations, footnotes, etc.

The second line "Permanent sidelenke:" [Norwegian version]/"Permanent pagelink" [English version] is the best line to capture if you want to save or share the actual scanned image and the source information. It allows the full capabilities for zooming in and out to best view the image and informs the recipient of the exact location, book and other details to be able to find WHERE you found the information.

The third line "Permanent bildelenke:" [Norwegian version]/"Permanent imagelink" [English version] is the best used to print a copy of the image or to save a copy of the image in a jpg format computer file. This line does NOT also capture the source information and therefore is NOT the best line to copy to share online when requesting help or assistance in deciphering the image found.
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 22/09/2007 :  09:47:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Haabakken in Tønjum local parish in Lærdal parish, Sogn og Fjordane county, is according professor Ola Rygh refering to "Ha(vi)bakki af Adj. har-høy " - coming from Adjective høi (1880 languide).

Høi means high and bakken means hill, hillside, slope.

Kåre
Go to Top of Page

JenJohnson
Starting member

Belgium
28 Posts

Posted - 22/09/2007 :  23:41:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you very much for all your help. I've been reading the many helpful articles and looking at the parish records you were kind enough to direct me to and they're beginning to make sense. Only beginning, mind you.
It would be interesting to read some of the resources you mention, particularly those with entire biographies, but I doubt I'll be able to avail myself of many since I live in Belgium. I suppose I can see if LDS shares books with int'l Universities.
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 23/09/2007 :  03:46:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It IS a joy when "they start to make sense"!! You will enjoy it! You've been doing good study - that helps.
Good idea about checking for loans to libraries -- also look for an LDS Family History Center in Belgium. And/or perhaps there might be a Norwegian library that shares books?
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 23/09/2007 :  16:02:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After a long long night's sleep, I have more ideas if you're really interested in seeing what the bygdebøker for Lærdal might have for you.
"Lærdal Bygdebok", 3+? volumes by Alfred Espe, Ola Gram and Kåre Hovland.

Try contacting a volunteer who does "lookups". Persons who have the book(s) in question and who have listed themselves as available to do limited lookups for others. These volunteers won't search out an entire family tree of information - but you should be able to learn if the book(s) are something you care to investigate further.

Norway Listers Lookups
Books We Own
Norway Lookup Volunteers - Schwartz

If one or more of the volumes appears to have information you'd really like to have copies of or own yourself - perhaps a holiday or weekend trip to Norway (since you are relatively nearby). A library and/or a used book store?? There is a online listing for the constantly changing holdings of "used book stores" in Scandinavia that can be used to check availability if you determine definite interest in a particular volume.

Another resource? I've heard of an online archive specific for Sogn og Fjordane which you might learn to use (Fylkesarkivet i Sogn og Fjordane). I cannot be of assistance with it because I have no heritage from that particular area and therefore have never bothered to gain familiarity with the archive or it's holdings, have not even kept a copy of the URL to reach it.

Go to Top of Page

Mary Jane Pahos
New on board

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2010 :  17:21:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jen,
Please email me at zhipchip@hotmail.com. I have information on this Johnson family, as John Overgaard Johnson is my grgrgrandfather. I have some photos also.
zhipchip@hotmail.com
Thank You,
Mary Jane Pahos
Webster, WI
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article