All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Maren Sophie Olofsdtr b. 1815
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

jcjens

USA
34 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2007 :  04:18:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been looking for years for any information about my husbands 2nd g-grandmother, Maren Sophie Olofsdtr, b. 1 Feb 1815 in Norway. In the 1875 census I found her with her husband, Christopher Nielsen and two of their children. On this census it says she was born in Solør. Expedia says that Solør is in Hedmark but I have not been able to find it anywhere. Maren probably married Christopher about 1849 but I have not been able to find exactly when or where. I believe that her parents names were Olaf Hendriksen (b. in Denmark) and Marie Larsdtr (b. in Norway) but I have not been able to find any information about them to prove or disprove this information. I believe Maren emmigrated to the USA in September 1883, but she died. I don't know if she died while on the ship or if she died while in New York. Finding anything out about Maren Sophie is a huge puzzle and if anyone can help me I would be so grateful!

Sincerely,
J. Jensen

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2007 :  04:36:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Solør is a geographic region in Hedmark which includes the parishes of Aasnes, Brandval, Grue, Hof, Valer, and Vinger.

Exactly where was she in the 1875 census?
Go to Top of Page

jcjens

USA
34 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2007 :  04:41:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hopkins

Solør is a geographic region in Hedmark which includes the parishes of Aasnes, Brandval, Grue, Hof, Valer, and Vinger.

Exactly where was she in the 1875 census?

Thank you so much for your reply!!!
This is what I have:
1875 Norway Census
http://www.rhd.uit.no/folketellinger/ftliste_e.aspx?ft=1875&knr=0301&kenr=046&bnr=2498&lnr=00
http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&filnamn=arkivverket/ft1875/f70301&variabel=0&postnr=60664&fulle=true&spraak=e
Census year: 1875
Municipality: Kristiania
Municipality number: 0301
Street: Øvre Gade 4
Number of persons in this domicile: 54.
Digitalarkivet: 1875-telling for 0301 Kristiania. [62150/8]
Persnr. - Hushold - Fornavn - Etternavn - Kjønn - Familiestilling - Sivilstand - Yrke - Fødselsår - Fødestad - Bostatus - Trossamfunn
60664 50 1 Christofer Nilsen m hf Arbeidsmand 1819 Lier b Mormonismen
60665 51 Maren Nilsen k kone 1815 Solør b Mormonismen
60666 52 Nikoline Marie Nilsen k d Strygejomfru 1852 Kristiania b Mormonismen
60667 53 Ollaf Hendet Nilsen m s 1861 Kristiania b Mormonismen
60668 54 Marthe Erikesen k Logerende e Vaskekone 1821 Hoffsong Solør b Mormonismen
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2007 :  10:22:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LDS have a record of a "Maren Olsdr", christened 05 MAR 1815 in Brandvold, Hedmark. Parents Ole Henriksen & Mari Larsdtr. Could that be her?

The original parish record should be checked, but doesn't look to be online. You could find it at a LDS library.

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2007 :  11:29:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
She is in the Grue parish records as #19 here
she was an "uægte" child, the father was a "huusmandsøn" and her birdate was Jan 31 - very close to Febr 1!
The LDS records also show her with the same parents, but the given name is Sophie Marn - search for Christopher Nielsen born 1819 and look at both Ancestral Files.
Marriage record would be helpful as well as the emigration record.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 07/12/2007 18:14:35
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2007 :  14:28:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is a CD of information called "Mormon Immigration Index". It may be available for use at your closest LDS Family History Center - and if not it is available for purchase from the LDS website familysearch.org (very cheaply). It often lists Mormons travelling to the US that somehow did not get their names entered into the registers of emigrants being kept by the Oslo/Kristiania police. We've had a number of inquiries about Norwegian Mormon emigrants recently and I've noticed that a number of them have not registered in the police registers.
The LDS library catalog also lists the availability of microfilmed Mormon church records from the city of Olso for the time period 1850-1950 and called a "Record of Members". The Record of members includes baptisms, confirmations, blessings of children, priesthood ordinations, minutes of meetings, emigrations, deaths, excommunications, and other miscellaneous information.

Also recommended reading is the article "The gathering to Zion - Mormon emigration from Norway" on this website -
http://www.norwayheritage.com/articles/templates/voyages.asp?articleid=29&zoneid=6
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2007 :  15:42:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe you already know this, but anyhow
Christopher Nielsen was the son of Niels Ellensen and Kari Aslesdatter, baptismal record see #50 here
Niels Ellensen and Kari Aslesdatter married 1816, see #19 here
You will find Nils and his family in the 1801 census here and Kari and her family in the same census here
Christopher was confirmed 1834, see #4 here

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 07/12/2007 15:49:07
Go to Top of Page

jcjens

USA
34 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2007 :  07:06:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you everyone for the wonderful information and suggestions!! I will research further in the areas you have all suggested. I have looked extensively for the marriage certificate of Christopher and Maren because I am hoping that will give me more information about her parents... but unfortunately I have not found it in the digital on-line records. However, I am grateful to all the suggestions and if anyone can think of any other records to search I would be so grateful to hear from you. Thanks again!! You are the best!!!
J. Jensen
Go to Top of Page

jcjens

USA
34 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2007 :  07:47:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eibache

She is in the Grue parish records as #19 here
she was an "uægte" child, the father was a "huusmandsøn" and her birdate was Jan 31 - very close to Febr 1!
The LDS records also show her with the same parents, but the given name is Sophie Marn - search for Christopher Nielsen born 1819 and look at both Ancestral Files.
Marriage record would be helpful as well as the emigration record.

I had previously found this record and I too thought that Jan 31 was close enough to the birth date I have for her that this could be her. Also, the parents names are correct. Can anyone translate this for me because unfortunately I can't read all the Norwegian words? What does "uægte" mean? Also, the word "huusmandsøn"? Does it say where Olof Hendriksen is born?
Thanking you again for any help!!

J. Jensen
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2007 :  08:22:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"uægte" means the child was born out of wedlock. In the column for date of birth it says do. meaning as above March 5 in Brandvold Church. In the column for parents it reads "Moderen Pige Mari Larsdatter Hanestadsæteren udlegger til Barnetsfader Huusmandssøn Ole Hendriksen Lukashougen. Begge 1ste Leiermål" - The mother maiden Mari Larsdatter Hanestadsæteren claims as the childs father cotters son Ole Hendriksen Lukashougen. The first child born out of wedlock for both.
Ole Hendriksen was living at Lukashougen, whether he was born there it does not say. In the 1801 census there are two Ole Henriksen on the farm Løvhaugen (possibly the same as Lukashougen) the one you are interested in could be #4236.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 11/12/2007 12:49:44
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2007 :  16:18:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Under 'Links' on these web pages you will find several helpful articles which translate formats of Norwegian census formats/Norwegian parish record formats and lists of translated words.
http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~norway/articles.html
http://home.online.no/~otjoerge/files/word.htm
http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~norway/na17.html
http://www.rhd.uit.no/art/michael02.html
Go to Top of Page

jcjens

USA
34 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2007 :  19:37:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you everyone for all your help!!!

J. Jensen
Go to Top of Page

jcjens

USA
34 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2007 :  04:54:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
BINGO!
Go to Top of Page

jcjens

USA
34 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2007 :  05:00:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oops, hit the wrong button before I finished my post and I sent just the word "Bingo!" Sorry!

Could someone help translate?
After searching most of the day I finally have found Christopher Nielsen and Maren Olofsdatter's marriage record but once again their are a lot of words I can not read. Would someone be so kind and take a look and let me know if it shows where she was born and anything about Ole Hendriksens birthplace? It is under the digital parish records in Oslo - Aker - 1848-1853 entry #29 - dated 19 Apr 1850 - marriage banns at: http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?uid=25517&urnread_imagesize=full&show=67#toppen

Best regards,
J. Jensen
Go to Top of Page

jcjens

USA
34 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2007 :  05:12:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh my, the link above does not work so here is the correct one... sorry again!
Thank you!
J. Jensen
http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?show=67&uid=25785&urnread_imagesize=full&hode=nei&ls=1
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2007 :  09:23:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is the record of the announcement of the intention of a couple to marry. It is announced March 17, 24 and April 1. It reads "Ungk. Gaardskarl Christoffer Nielsen og Pigen Maren Olafsdatter Nord paa Øvre Ullern" - batchelor farmers hand Christoffer Nielsen and maiden Maren Olafsdatter Nord at Øvre Ullern.
"Han, søn af Niels Elensen, er født, døpt og confirmeret i Lier Prestegjeld hvor han har communiseret og er ledig til Ægteskab. 30 Aar gml." - he, son of Niels Elensen, is born, baptized and confirmed in Lier Parish where he has recieved communication and is ready for marriage. 30 years old.
"Hun, datter af Oluf Nord, er født, døpt og confirmeret i Grue, er ugift og har communiseret i Ager. 35 Aar gml." - she, daughter of Oluf Nord, is born, baptized and confirmed in Grue, is unmarried and has recieved communication in Ager. 35 years old.
The date April 19 1850 is their marrige date.
Marens father comes from the farm Nord, there are two farms in Grue which could be the right one, see 1801 census and you will find many Ole - same as Oluf.

Einar
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article