All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 Norwegians in America
 Relatives of John Johnson, Two Creeks, WI
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

flukerkr

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 28/12/2007 :  17:19:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am trying to find relatives of John Johnson who lived in Two Creeks, WI from about 1850 to 1873, in order to share genealogy information. I am looking for information on his siblings and their families as well as his children and their families. John (name is John Halvorsson on the passenger list) emigrated from Norway in May 1850 on the Schooner Ebenezer along with his father and mother (Halvor and Inger Johanneson) his wife Karin (Karin Halvorsson) and seven siblings. I believe they came from Haeggebostad Pastorate in Norway, but I am not sure.

John Johnson originally settled in Dane County, Wisconsin, but by 1853 he had moved to Two Creeks, Wisconin. He subsequently moved to South Dakota and then Washington State, where he died around 1897.

Any help on tracking down John's siblings - Martha, ingeborg, Karine, Gunhild, Anne, Halvor and Carl - would be appreicated.

Thanks

Richard

Richard Reise

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 28/12/2007 :  19:09:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hægebostad is a district in Vest-Agder, Norway. It also has some historical ties to Kvinesdal district of Vest-Agder.

Your family if they came from Hægebostad obviously left before the 1865 Norwegian census and therefore our easiest method to verify their origins is not available to us.

Hopefully some relative who also descends from John Johnson's family is interested in family history and is searching for 'cousins'. Even if they aren't you should still be able to research the earlier family tree if your idea of WHERE they came from is correct. There are many Norwegian historical documents available for the research and you will enjoy them.
Go to Top of Page

flukerkr

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 28/12/2007 :  21:17:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the information Hopkins. I got the name Haeggebostad from a document I have. Until I read about it yesterday on this website I didn't know what it was, but I learned it is a passport. Specifically, it is the passport allowing my ancestors to emigrate to the U.S. Since it is in Norwegian I could not make out what it said. The only word I could make out was police. Actually, I do have a translation of it some where, but I still couldn't figure out what it was.

So at the time they emigrated they were living in Haeggebostad. I do not know whether that was their ancestral home or not.

You are right I am going to enjoy researching my ancestors in Norway.

A major reason I am trying to find some "cousins" is that I have a lot of old photos of my Johson relatives, but I don't know who most of them are since there are no names on the backs.

My mother had been corresponding with some "cousins" before she passed away ten years ago. But the people she had been writing, and knew who some of these people are, have also passed away. Hopefully, I can find some younger "cousins" who might me able to help me.

As you can surmise, it is real hard tracking down Johnsons.

Richard

Richard Reise
Go to Top of Page

rbjerke1
New on board

1 Posts

Posted - 28/12/2007 :  22:54:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am the author of a book entitled Manitowoc-skogen, which treats all the Norwegian settlers in Manitowoc County, including John Johnson. The entire book is on line at my Web site, www.rbjerke.net
Perhaps you are already aware of this, as I have had correpondence with various family members, possibly including your mother.
Go to Top of Page

Lester Hanson
Advanced member

USA
567 Posts

Posted - 28/12/2007 :  23:01:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is some documentation for leaving Stavenger in 1850.
http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&sidenr=9&filnamn=STAV&gardpostnr=63922&merk=63922#ovre

They give Ingers last name, and middle names of the children.

You have to click on "next page" to get the rest of the family.

Les
Go to Top of Page

flukerkr

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 28/12/2007 :  23:47:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All this information is very good, thank you very much Robert (I believe it is Robert) and Les. I do know who you are Robert and indeed you did correspond to my mother, Grace Reise. In fact you gave her a copy of your book Manitowoc-skogen, which I now have. Just yesterday I saw where you put your book on-line. You have also talked with my cousin Mark Johnson, over the years. My father recently gave me my mother's genealogy papers and I am trying to figure out who some of the people are in the unidentified photos. I ran across some letters in Norwegian that my great grandfather's brothers wrote him. There were also some english translations. Did you per chance translate them for my mother. I have them out right now in order to send Mark some copies.

Les, thank you for the link to the Stavanger records. Having the right names of John's siblings are going to help me track down their descendents. It came up in Norwegian, which button do I have to press for "next page"

Richard

Richard Reise
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 29/12/2007 :  00:05:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Emigration April 9. 1850 from Madla parish in Håland main parish, present Sola parish in Rogaland county, right page #6-16

John was christened Johan.
Jåsund and Håland are mentioned as place of origin in the em. record for Stavanger, Jåsund is located to Håland.

No christening record found for John/Johan Halvorsen so fare.

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 29/12/2007 00:07:22
Go to Top of Page

Lester Hanson
Advanced member

USA
567 Posts

Posted - 29/12/2007 :  00:53:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Richard,

Sorry about that.

Neste = next
Førre = previous

Les
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 29/12/2007 :  00:55:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry, but I can´t help you finding relatives in USA, It would be more like a shot in the dark so I "stay" in Norway.

Madla in Håland (Sola) 1844, Halvor Johannesen, his wife Ingeborg and three children, Johan age 16, Marthe Olene age 13 and Karine age 5 moved from Stavanger town and settled down in Jåsund in Håland parish, left page #23-27

Cause: Halvor bought a farm i Jåsund.

They were all born in Stavanger in Rogaland county
Stavanger records

Kåre
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 29/12/2007 :  01:05:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rogaland county

Stavanger is at the coast central in the county, Sola (Håland) is south of Stavanger.

Kåre
Go to Top of Page

Lester Hanson
Advanced member

USA
567 Posts

Posted - 29/12/2007 :  01:33:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is the marriage record for Johan and Karin. They are number 4, or last on the page.

http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=1616&idx_id=1616&uid=ny&idx_side=-139

Les
Go to Top of Page

Lester Hanson
Advanced member

USA
567 Posts

Posted - 29/12/2007 :  02:04:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Birth record for Halvor's son Halvor born 28 May 1846.

http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=6288&idx_id=6288&uid=ny&idx_side=-10

Les
Go to Top of Page

Lester Hanson
Advanced member

USA
567 Posts

Posted - 29/12/2007 :  02:28:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Birth record for Halvor's son Carl Johan, born 11 Dec. 1848. His first name appears to be spelled Carel. He was about 18 months old when they emigrated.

http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=6288&idx_id=6288&uid=ny&idx_side=-29

Les
Go to Top of Page

Lester Hanson
Advanced member

USA
567 Posts

Posted - 29/12/2007 :  02:42:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is another daughter, Gunnild, born 5 Feb 1841. Number 14.

http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=15811&idx_id=15811&uid=ny&idx_side=-59

Les removed the wrong entry and replaced it with the correct one.

Les

Edited by - Lester Hanson on 02/01/2008 23:35:59
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 29/12/2007 :  04:22:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is probably Karen/Karin's older brother Hans and his family - still living on the Refvem farm in Sola, Rogaland in 1865. That's the name of the farm she listed on her marriage record.
http://www.rhd.uit.no/folketellinger/ftliste_e.aspx?ft=1865&knr=1124&kenr=006&bnr=0020&lnr=000
Go to Top of Page

flukerkr

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 29/12/2007 :  07:46:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you all very much. I got home and found 9 more message, what a pleasant surprise. It surely looks like you have located records for my ancestors in Norway. Now I will have to go over all the information you have found, to see what it all means.

Thanks again.

Richard

Richard Reise
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article