All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 Norwegians in America
 Relatives of John Johnson, Two Creeks, WI
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 29/12/2007 :  09:04:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ingeborg Tjærandsdatter came from Rennesøy, she was baptized on Tuesday June 11 1805. Her father was Tiæran Windhoug under Helland, see here
Ingeborgs parents Tiæran Ariansen and Martha Anfinsdatter were married April 10 1792, see right hand page here
(sorry for wrong first posting and also the first correction!)
Halvor and Ingeborg were married Dec 28 1826, see #157
Halvor came from Hegebostad in 1825 (Approx 21 years old) and was 23 years old when he married. He had been baptized and confirmed in Hegbostad church. See #69

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 31/12/2007 05:26:28
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 29/12/2007 :  13:21:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Johan Halvorsen was born Dec. 15. 1827 in Rennesøy parish #406
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 29/12/2007 :  13:52:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This area is Norway´s heritage.

Return to the Map. North of Stavanger is Rennesøy (øy means island),

North of Sola you will find Madla. Jåsund is at the headland north of Madla (sund means sound) and this sound leads to a small Fjord called Hafrsfjord

Sola was the place of origin for Erling Skjalgsson

Kåre
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 29/12/2007 :  14:34:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Rennesøy bygdeboks list the following: (Halvard is more common spelling in the bygdeboks than Halvor in this district)

Hauskje farm --
"Halvard Johannesson, Berge, Hegebostad, f. ca. 1803, g. 28.12.1826 m. Ingeborg Tjerandsdtr., Helland,<snip>, f. ca. 1804.
Born:
1. Johan, f. 15.12.1827.
2. Marta Olena, f. 12.9.1830, d. 23.6.1832.
3. Marta Olena, f. 25.1.1833.
Hyslyden flytta i 1837 til Eltarvåg i Frue (Riska). I Stavanger 1842."
Source: Rennesøy Gard og Ætt - Band 1 (Norway: Rennesøy Kommune, 1993) by Birger Lindanger and Jørg Eirik Waula, page 373.

Helland farm (Husmannsplass i Vindhaug m/jord) --
"1. (ca. 1795-ca. 1835) Tjerand Adriansson, Håvarstein <snip>, dp. 10.2.1763, d. 21.11.1835. G.1 10.4.1792 m. Marta Anfinnsdtr., Gongenes <snip>, dp. 16.7.1767, d. 19.11.1831. G.2 19.3.1833 m. Berta Abrahamsdtr., Dysjaland, f. ca. 1783.
Born 1. esteskap:
1. Adrian, dp. 22.7.1792, f. på Gongenes, grl. 6.10.1798.
2. Anna Kristina, dp. 28.9.1798, f. på Vindhaug, Vik
3. Anfinn, dp. 17.2.1802, grl. 17.3.1802.
4. Anfinn, dp. 6.5.1803, grl. 29.5.1803.
5. Ingeborg, f. ca. 1804, Hauskje <snip>."
Source: Rennesøy Gard og Ætt - Band 1 (Norway: Rennesøy Kommune, 1993) by Birger Lindanger and Jørg Eirik Waula, page 336.

Håvarstein Husmannsplass 1 utan jord --
"Adrian Tjerandsson, Naustvoll, Kvitsøy, dp. 6.2.1728, grl. 14.5.1806. F: Tjerand Torgersson og Guri Assersdtr., d. 22.6.1766, 80 år. G.(1. ) 1.9.1753 m. Anna Andersdtr., f. ca. 1730, grl. 16.11.1760. G.(2.) 6.1.1762 m. Ingeborg Olsdtr., f. ca. 1737. Truleg dtr. av Ole Larsson Bjerga og Kristi Pedersdtr. "
(A total of 9 children are listed for the two marriages - Tjerand being born as the first child in the second marriage.
Source: Rennesøy Gard og Ætt - Band 1 (Norway: Rennesøy Kommune, 1993) by Birger Lindanger and Jørg Eirik Waula, page 417.

I inserted <snip> where internal book references seemed unnecessary to this posting.

Edited by - Hopkins on 29/12/2007 15:29:12
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 29/12/2007 :  21:33:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hegebostad/Hægebostad is in Rogaland´s neighbour-county Vest- Agder central in the county at road 43

Photo of Hegebostad

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 29/12/2007 21:35:41
Go to Top of Page

flukerkr

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 30/12/2007 :  04:11:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for all the additional information. I was trying to figure out how to diplomatically say that Ingeborg couldn't have two different fathers, but not necessary now, since Eibache all ready corrected the problem.

All this information is very interesting and way beyond what I had hoped to get, especially my not knowing Norwegian. Now I have a number of relatives to add to my family tree. I have always been interested in my Norwegian roots and now I am finding out more about them.

The information you have provided helps make sense of the sketchy facts my mother knew about our Norwegian relatives. For example, she thought they lived in Stavanger for a while, but they didn't always live there. She thought some of Halvor's children might have been born in different places.

All the links were very helpful. I got a Norwegian geography lesson as well as a history lesson on Erling Skjalgsson. Its real nice that most of the sites are in English. I still have lots to read on the sites you provided.

Richard

Richard Reise
Go to Top of Page

Lester Hanson
Advanced member

USA
567 Posts

Posted - 31/12/2007 :  03:49:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The 1860 Wisconsin Census, has these people.

1860 United States Federal Census
Name: Halver Johnson
Age in 1860: 60
Birth Year: abt 1800
Birthplace: Norway
Home in 1860: Rowley, Manitowoc, Wisconsin
Post Office: Two Rivers
Household Members: Name Age
Halver Johnson 60
Ingomar Johnson 60
Christiana Johnson 16
Halver Johnson 13
Chas John Johnson 10.

All of the above people were born in Norway.

Right below this family are:

John Johnson
Age in 1860: 33
Birth Year: abt 1827
Birthplace: Norway
Home in 1860: Rowley, Manitowoc, Wisconsin
Post Office: Two Rivers
John Johnson 33
Ganver Johnson 27
Hannah Johnson 9
Helmet Johnson 7
Christine Johnson 4
Albert Johnson 2

All of the above children were born in Wisconsin. Parents were born in Norway.

Some of the names and ages are different, but I think there is a close enough match for your family. The Post Office is Two Rivers, rather than Two Creeks. The town is Rowley, rather than Two Creeks.

Halvor and John's occupations were fisherman.

Edited by - Lester Hanson on 31/12/2007 04:11:05
Go to Top of Page

flukerkr

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 31/12/2007 :  05:12:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, Lester those most definitely are my relatives. Thank you for the information. I suspect the census taker must have just written down the names as he thought he heard them and the Johnsons either didn't know he mispelled their names or just opted not to correct him. For example my great grandfather's name was Helmick not Helmet. And his mother's name was Ingeborg not Ingomar. One of the mysteries is tracking what happened to Halvor and Ingeborg. I suspect they were buried in the Johnson cemetary alongside Lake Michigan. The cemetary was evidently on a cliff over looking the Lake and at some point it just washed away into the Lake. When I was a kid I asked my mom where the old Johnsons were buried and she told me they were in the Lake. I took her response that they just buried them in the Lake, but evidently that wasn't the case.

The town was first named Rowley and then the name was changed to Two Creeks. I am pretty sure the name was Two Creeks not Rowley in 1860, but they (the census takers) evidently just didn't bother to change it. All the different names makes it very difficult to track them down, especially after the kids moved away. There are lots of Johnsons, and many of them have the same first names.

Besides just being interested in getting as much information as I can about the Johnsons, I also hope to use the information to help identify some of the people in old photos I have. Many of the photos have names of the photographers and the town were the photos were taken. If I can figure out who lived where and when I might be able to discover who some of the people are.

All the information I have received from the forum members the last several days might help me solve one very interesting mystery. I have a picture of an old woman who is identified on the back as John's grandmother. I believe it must be the John Halversson (later changed to John Johnson) grandmother. So her name could be Martha or Marta.

Now that I look closer at the information Eibache and Hopkins have posted separately, it looks like they might have different sets of parents for Ingeborg. Eibache has indicated the parents are Tiaeran Ariansen & Martha Aslaksdatter, while Hopkins appears to have her parents as Tjerand Adriansson and Marta Antinnsdatter.

It might just be that I am misreading the information. Can you all help me figure out what is what.

Thanks

Richard

Richard Reise
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 31/12/2007 :  05:28:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Please look at the second correction on my posting, sorry for the mixup!

Einar
Go to Top of Page

flukerkr

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 31/12/2007 :  05:56:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Eibache,

Thank you for your help in clarifying things. I thought every thing was cleared up but when I looked at your Post again, it didn't look right. I think what happened was that some how I was looking at the old post before your edits. I was beginning to think I was losing my mind, because I was sure every thing was right.

I really do appreciate all the help every one has given me. Not knowing Norwegian really puts me at a disadvantage.

There is some thing else I would like some help with. Lester posted a site with Johan's and Karin marriage record. It evidently indicates that she is the daughter of Hans Hansen, does it also have information on Karin's mother. I don't know how to enlarge the document on my home computer screen and I don't have a printer so I can't print it out. Even then after I enlarge the records and print them from my office computer tomorrow, I might not be able to figure it out since the headings are in Norwegian.

Thank you

Richard

Richard Reise
Go to Top of Page

Lester Hanson
Advanced member

USA
567 Posts

Posted - 31/12/2007 :  06:52:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here are some possibles, I'm guessing Helmick is mis-spelled to Almon.

Wisconsin State Censuses, 1895 and 1905 Wisconsin State Censuses, 1895 and 1905
Name: Almon H Johnson
Census Date: 1 Jun 1905
Residence County: Green
Residence State: Wisconsin
Locality: Monroe
Birth Location: Wisconsin
Marital Status: Married
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1853
Race: White
Relation: Head
Spouse's Name: Harriet M
Almon H Johnson 52
Harriet M Johnson 53
Earl D Johnson 23
Jessie Johnson 19
Mabel S Johnson 15

Do these names look familiar?

Evidently we are looking for John and Karin Johnson who moved to the state of Washington. I was looking for his parents, Halvor and Ingeborg in Washington. Do you have any more information to share for city or county in Washington?

Les

Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 31/12/2007 :  09:16:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In the marriage records only the bride and grooms fathers are recorded. The best place to find mothers is in birth records, for Karen Malene you will find her mother at #26
Karen Malene was born Nov 21 and baptized Nov 27 1825. The mother was Torber Einarsdatter, the parents lived at the Revem farm in Malde parish.
There is a possibility that Torber actually is Torborg and that she was born in Hjelmeland parish in 1788. The marriage with Hans Hansen would be in Hjelmeland then, sometimes between 1810 and 1824 maybe.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 31/12/2007 09:32:29
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 31/12/2007 :  14:21:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All of the links given (at least all those I've looked at during this thread) to specific church records in the online collection of scanned records at the Digitalarkivet website have included the option for enlargement. Along the top of the page see the pull-down option which includes "%" -- pull-down the options and change that at will.
The instructions given with the Digitalarkivet scanned records should be studied -
The Digitalarkivet web site - http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/WebFront.exe?slag=vis&tekst=meldingar
An English option is available by clicking on that word from either the left hand column or the blue link bar along the bottom of the homepage.
The scanned images are available from the homepage link "Skanna kyrkjebøker" [Norwegian version]/"Digitised parish records" [English version] which is listed along the left hand column and from the blue banner of links along the top section of the homepage.
After you've clicked on that link and a new main page has presented on the screen be sure and read the instructions that are available from the Digitalarkivet for navigating the scanned records. The instructions are available in Bokmål (official Norwegian), Nyorsk (Norwegian), Davvisámegiella (Saami), and English.
Recommended basic reading are the "Startsiden" [Norwegian version]/"Main page" [English version], "Brukerveiledning" [Norwegian version]/"User's guide" [English version] and "Om tjenesten" [Norwegian version]/"About this service" [English version].

Good information about translating the formats of Norwegian parish church records during various time periods, many of the basic terms used and understanding how to use the information should be studied at this web site -
http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~norway/na20.html

The LDS library catalog lists a large number of resources available for research into Manitowoc County, Wisconsin including information about old cemeteries in that county. That library catalog also indicates published book -- 'a biographical and genealogical directory of the residents of Norwegian birth and descent in Manitowoc and Kewaunee counties in Wisconsin from the earlist settlement to 1900'.
Go to the LDS website (familysearch.org) and in the library catalog do a place search into 'Manitowoc' part of 'Wisconsin'. Learn all you can about historical records available for the area.
Also check into historical and/or genealogical societies local to Manitowoc County area - they may be able to give you advice about searching for the material you are interested in for the American "Johnsons".

Be sure and use the two very helpful lists of translated Norwegian words which are linked through the 'Links' available on this webpage at the upper right hand section of this page.

Go to Top of Page

flukerkr

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 31/12/2007 :  16:32:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks again for all the information. With all your help I am having an easier time finding things on the documents but I am still quite challenged. I am sure its just a matter of developing a familiarity with things. You have provided me the names, which helps a lot.

With regard to the U.S. censuses, I have ascertained with help from Robert Bjorke's book on Norwegians in Manitowoc County (the county where the Town of Two Creeks is located) that John Johnson moved to the state of South Dakota in 1876. I believe my grandfather's father, Helmick Johnson, also moved to South Dakota in the early 1870s. Then at some point, maybe early 1890s, John Johnson moved to the State of Washington. He lived in Port Angeles I believe. Then Helmick followed his father John to the state of Washington. My grandfather, Ira, was born in South Dakota in 1891 and he graduated from high school in Bellingham, Washington.

Karin Johnson, was John Johnson's first wife. Karin died in a cholera epidemic in 1854. An infant son Ole, also died around the same time. I imagine there were other family members that probably also died at that time, which is one reason I am probably having a hard time locating them. John remarried to a Gunvord Thorkildatter. Gunvord was also known as Augusta Olson. I believe Gunvord came over from Norway in about 1855. They evidently were married in Green Bay, Wisconsin. Augusta filled for widow's benefits after John died in about 1897. I'm not sure where he died. Anyway, Augusta had to testify when and where she married John. A lot of this information I just found recently after going through old papers of my mother's (my mother was Grace Lorraine Johnson Reise, daughter of Ira Alfred Johnson, son of Helmick Johnson, son of John Johnson) and I haven't found them all in the census records yet. Helmick's surviving children were Carrie, John, Geralda, Ira and Mabel. Mabel was born in the state of Washington, the other four in South Dakota.

My Norwegian ancestors here in the U.S. did keep track of some of their relatives back in Norway, but I have no information on it. Evidently one of the Norwegian cousins my grandfather corresponded with was one of the first casualties when the Germans invaded Norway in WWII. My grandfather might have kept letters from these relatives but I haven't been able to find any. I have found several letters written in Norwegian, but they appear to be letters to Helmick from his brothers. Helmick spoke primarily Norwegian. When he tried to re-enter the United States after having lived in Canada homesteading for a number of years, U.S. immigration officials would not let him in because they contended he was Norwegian and not an American. My grandfather, Ira, was in the process of getting proof that Helmick was born in the U.S. (letters from relatives and neighbors who knew him when he lived in Wisconsin) when he passed away. My mother was actually born in Canada in 1927, but moved to Wisconsin shortly after when my grandmother decided she had enough of the cold and the bears of Canada.

I appreciate all the help you are giving me. It is so interesting, and I am having a hard time finding enough time to go over all the information.

Richard

Richard Reise
Go to Top of Page

flukerkr

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 31/12/2007 :  16:45:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just got down posting and realized that there was another point I wanted to address. I am trying to find genealogy societies to join in Wisconsin, specifically Manitowoc County. I recently contact the Manitowoc Genealogy Society and just hard back from them, regarding joining. Years ago I had joined the Wisconsin State Historical Society, but my membership has lapsed and I need to renew it. I also use to get a lot of stuff from the Everton Publishers which is or was (I'm not sure if it still exists) associated with the Morman Church. Any way I have a lots of books on Norway and how to find ancestors in Norway. But until the internet came along, it was very difficult to utilize the information. I tried getting microfilm tapes from the Church of Latter Day Saints but I could not decipher any thing on the tapes and gave up.

I do have a distant cousin (non-Norwegian side of the family) who lives in Madison, Wisconsin and she had been helping me get copies of vital records from the Wisconsin State Historical Society Library. The big problem is trying to find the right Johnsons. There are lots of Ingeborgs, Johns, Halvors etc, and it is hard to figure out who is who. Other problems include the fact that in the 1850s there just are not a lot of marriage, death and birth records available. Either they weren't recorded or I just haven't located them yet. Not living in Wisconsin makes it very hard to look up local and church records.

Hope you all have a Happy New Year!!

Richard

Richard Reise
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article