All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Lunde/Morken Family from Sogn, Norway
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Betty Jean Ellingson

USA
48 Posts

Posted - 22/04/2008 :  03:18:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Les- Thanks for the info!! Yes, that is the same Trond...he lived in the Crookston, Minnesota area. I believe that it was his son who became a legislator in Minnesota.

I will google the Bentz family and see if I can help them.

Thanks again for all of your help....this is awesome.....

Betty Jean Ellingson
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 22/04/2008 :  04:32:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And you'll be able to help them better if more study materials for "how-to" are available for all of you.

http://homepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~norway/articles.html

The Digitalarkivet web site has been adding scanned images of the original Norwegian parish church records for anyone with Internet access since November 2005.

The Digitalarkivet web site - http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/WebFront.exe?slag=vis&tekst=meldingar
An English option is available by clicking on that word from either the left hand column or the blue link bar along the bottom of the homepage.
The scanned images are available from the homepage link "Skanna kyrkjebøker" [Norwegian version]/"Digitised parish records" [English version] which is listed along the left hand column and from the blue banner of links along the top section of the homepage.
After you've clicked on that link and a new main page has presented on the screen be sure and read the instructions that are available from the Digitalarkivet for navigating the scanned records. The instructions are available in Bokmål (official Norwegian), Nyorsk (Norwegian), Davvisámegiella (Saami), and English.
Recommended basic reading are the "Startsiden" [Norwegian version]/"Main page" [English version], "Brukerveiledning" [Norwegian version]/"User's guide" [English version] and "Om tjenesten" [Norwegian version]/"About this service" [English version].

Good information about translating the formats of Norwegian parish church records during various time periods, many of the basic terms used and understanding how to use the information should be studied at this web site -
http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~norway/na20.html
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 22/04/2008 :  07:56:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Torsten Throndsen (1820) father Thrond Morken is Tron Augunsen (1771), see 1638
Trond was baptized Dec 23 see #3 from the top here
his parents were Augun Tronsen (1731) and Britta Hermundsdatter (1743).
From LDS:
Auguns parents Tron Andersen (1695) and Mari Larsdatter (1698)
Trons parents Anders Tronsen and Anna Olsdatter
Maris father Lars Jensen.
Brita Hermundsdatter was baptized Aug 5 1742, see 11 Søndag
Parents Hermund Eriksen Mælum and Margerita Jakobsdatter.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 22/04/2008 08:39:31
Go to Top of Page

Lester Hanson
Advanced member

USA
567 Posts

Posted - 22/04/2008 :  16:40:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kari Bottolfsdtr's Father, Bottolf Hermundsen birth record, baptized 14 June 1801, 2nd page, last entry: http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=1992&idx_id=1992&uid=ny&idx_side=-151

His parents are Hermund Bottolfsen Lunde and Kari Ingebretsdtr.

1801 Telling brings up Hermund and Kari, and must be a lot more relatives on this page. #1771 & 1772

Les
Go to Top of Page

Betty Jean Ellingson

USA
48 Posts

Posted - 23/04/2008 :  04:31:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am very overwhelmed with all of this, you guys!! The details and accuracy are so unbelievable!! And the Norwegian on that last post that Les gave me is so spectacular!!!!

I will have so many details to put into my family tree software now.

Again, thanks....

Betty Jean Ellingson
Go to Top of Page

Holly
Medium member

USA
95 Posts

Posted - 23/04/2008 :  22:26:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Augund Trondsen of Morchen left a will, dated July 6th, 1804. He was an enkemand (widower), so no help on his marriage.

Here are the people mentioned in it...

'Personar i skiftet :
(1) Trond Augundsen Myndig Søn (Myndig is adult)
(2) Anders Augundsen Myndig Søn
(3) Anna Augundsdatter Datter
(4) Marie Augundsdatter 28 Aar Datter
(5) Lensmand Bremer Kreditor
(6) Ole Rasmusen Feedt Formynder for Marie (Formynder is like a guardian)
(7) Prest Friis Kreditor
(8) Giest Knudsen Laed Gift med Anna (Gift med means married, so Anna number 3 married Giest Knutsen of "Laed")
(9) Klokkar Peder Lomem Kreditor
(10) Lars Knudsen Morchen Gift med Margrethe (he'd be the husband of the dauther mentioned item #15)
(11) Hermund Augundsen Myndig Søn
(12) Brithe Larsdatter Datterdatter (she'd be a granddaughter, probably daughter of Lars Knutsen & Margrethe)
(13) Sorenskrivaren Kreditor
(14) Far Lars Knudsen Morchen Formynder for Brithe
(15) Margrethe Augundsdatter Død Datter

I don't know how to make a direct link at this site, but you can do searches here with only a letter or two...
Link

(I forgot a step) Click on the link "Databasetenester". Then...

Go to the link "Skifte indre Sogn 1600-1850" in Norwegian or "Probate records Indre Sogn" in English.

I have some Elling sons & daughters in my DB, but don't know if they are connected to your people.

I have a Hermund Ellendsen (Lunde) bapt 17 Jul 1785 in Hafslo
(1755-1806), Chronological list 1785, page 171-172.

The sponsors at his baptism were:
Kirstina Alme
Tosten Alme
Iver Beum
Thron Lund Houg
Giertrud Larsdatter Uglum

I have his parents & grandparents if you find yourself connected to him.

The will left by Botolph Arnesen may also be of interest to you.

Edited by - Holly on 23/04/2008 23:01:01
Go to Top of Page

Betty Jean Ellingson

USA
48 Posts

Posted - 24/04/2008 :  03:46:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks so much Holly- the people named in a will are on the web also??....interesting...

Thanks....

Betty Jean Ellingson
Go to Top of Page

Holly
Medium member

USA
95 Posts

Posted - 24/04/2008 :  05:20:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That site is an amazing resource! I don't know who transribed all of the probates that they have there, but I've found the info in the wills to be genealogy gold. They offer clues on marriages, which children of a marriage survived longer than their parents, who some of the children married, whether or not there's been a remarriage & other useful information. If you can't find either parent's will, you might find one left by a sibling that had no children. Wills past the early 1820's at the site are thin, tho the title says they have wills up to 1850. Often, they confirm relationships that you're not quite sure about.

You'll find more results in searches using as few letters as possible, because spelling wasn't always consistant. For example, if you're looking for "Elling", records for him may be under "Eling", "Ellend" or "Elend". Plug "EL" into the search field. Trond can also be spelled Thrond or Tron, so searches using "TR" miss the records that have it spelled with a TH. If a search shows too many "hits", add another letter.

Some wills are found with only first name & location used, and the spellings of locations can also be part of the challenge.
Go to Top of Page

Betty Jean Ellingson

USA
48 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2008 :  05:14:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Holly- I will be checking out that website in more detail.

I am wondering you have access to any photos from the churches or area in Sogn, Norway (Hafslo parish) where Kari Morken came from. I see some of the other forum posts have photos....I would love to have even one from that area.

Thanks....

Betty Jean Ellingson
Go to Top of Page

Holly
Medium member

USA
95 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2008 :  05:58:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry, I can't help you there.
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2008 :  06:42:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The present Hafslo kirke was built in 1878, a little bit late for Kari, she might have been baptized in the old Stave church which no longer exists.
See Hafslo

Einar
Go to Top of Page

Lester Hanson
Advanced member

USA
567 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2008 :  05:03:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can I get some help reading this parish record? 2nd page 4th entry for Births.
http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=1992&idx_id=1992&uid=ny&idx_side=-30

I have been able to trace Trond Torstien Mother's lineage back from Kari Bottolfsd, to her Mother Britta Erichsdtr baptized 22 Feb 1801, to her parents Erich Hermundsen Raaeim, baptized 15 Oct 1755, and his second wife Karen(Cassie) Adamsdtr per 1801 Census.

The marriage record for Erich and Karen, gives her name as Karen Kirshna Kirstina Reutz. 1st page 7th entry: http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=1992&idx_id=1992&uid=ny&idx_side=-91

The name Karen was used for her first and third children, and then the name Cassie Adamsdtr for her second child and four more children.

I found Cassie's death record of 15 Mar 1812, age 50, which means she was born about 1761. The above sited parish record is the only one I can find for a Cassie born in 1761. But this record indicates her Father is name Schierven. The blured word after Cassie, could that be a Reutz?

There is an Adam Reutz who died in 19 Mar 1792, age 68, and a Cassie Reutz that died in 29 Aug 1824, age 89. Both these names were used as Godparents for Karen Munthe, baptized Dom XIII P Trinity (25 Aug 1793). 2nd page 5th entry for births: http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=1992&idx_id=1992&uid=ny&idx_side=-132

Erich and Cassi also had a son named Adam Reutz, born 10 Mar 1796, 2nd page, 6th entry under births: : http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=1992&idx_id=1992&uid=ny&idx_side=-138

So, is it possible I have found the right Cassie, or do I have to keep looking?
Les

PS: Betty, I sent you an e-mail via Norway Heritage two days ago, did you receive it, or was it blocked? If blocked, click on my name in the forum, and send me your address. I have more records for you.

PS Again: Thanks to Einar, the name is Ellev, not Cassie.

Edited by - Lester Hanson on 26/04/2008 07:12:43
Go to Top of Page

Betty Jean Ellingson

USA
48 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2008 :  06:02:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the hafslo church photo (resembles my home church !!) and also for the genealogy info, Les. I have a great deal of information that you all have provided and I am very grateful. All this new info is awesome, Les. Thanks so much.

Betty Jean Ellingson
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2008 :  06:54:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
2nd page 4th entry for Births:
Jan 24 Endre Schiervens søn Ellev
1st page 7th entry:
27 Junii Enkemand Erich Hermundsen Opheim og Pigen Karen Kirstina Reuts

Einar
Go to Top of Page

Holly
Medium member

USA
95 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2008 :  07:15:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Adam Reutz had 5 sons, Claus Rumohr, Hans Munte, Christoffer Munte, Johan Rumohr & Olus Martinius. The daughters were Karen Christine, Kristine Ørbech, Anna Margaretha, Anna Margaretha, Ingebor Maria, Anne Marie & Mette Dorthea.

The "Cassie" Reutz that died in 1824 left a will. She's either the grandmother or great grandmother, not the the "Cassie" you're looking for. Her full name was Karen Munthe Rumohr (Rikheim) Clausdatter & she was baptised 6 Oct 1736. I've fiddled around a little with it, but have yet to fully sort it all out, as there are 70 lines in it & either the transcriber of it or the person who wrote it left key info out of it. Here goes:

(1) Adani ? Clausen 27 Aar Sønnesøn (bp 12 Mar 1796 Sogndal)
(2) Maren Clausdatter 34 Aar Datter (bp 7 Nov 1790 Hafslo)
(3) Gjertrud Clausdatter 28 Aar Datter (bp 15 Jan 1794 Hafslo)
(4) Peder Christensen Hol? Formynder for Ciulia
(5) Adam Hansen 23 Aar Sønnesøn (bp 15 Dec 1799 Hafslo)
(6) Christen Hansen 17 1/2 Aar Sønnesøn (bp 28 Jan 1807 Hafslo - Christen Bremer)
(7) Karen Hansdatter 13 Aar Sønnedatter (I don't have her, but I have a Lucris bp 25 Mar 1803 Sogndal)
(8) Mettte Hansdatter Sønnedatter (18 Apr 1813 Sogndal)
(9) ?
(10) Anna Erichsdatter Sønnesøndatterdatter
(11) Jens Andersen Sønnedattersøn (bp 10 Feb 1793 Hafslo)
(12) Karie Andersdatter Sønnedatterdatter (6 Apr 1783 Hafslo)
(13) Kristie Andersdatter Sønnedatterdatter (16 Dec 1790 Hafslo)
(14) Anna Margrethe Adamsdatter Sønnedatter (22 Dec 1768 Hafslo)
(15) Anne Marie Adamsdatter Sønnedatterdatter (9 Nov 1771 Hafslo)
(20) Hans Erichsen ? Gift med Anna
(24) Peder Einersen Beumb Myndig Gift med Anne Marie
(31) Johanes Nielsen Gunvordahlen (bp 1 Jul 1800 Sogndal) Gift med Sønneve (Hermundsdatter bp 24 Nov 1799 Hafslo)
(32) Anders Hermundsen Hunderie Sønnsdattersøn (23 Sep 1804 Sogndal)
(33) Peder Jørgensen Modzland ? Kurator for Adam
(34) Peder Horgensen Moe Gift med Maren
(35) Ole Torsen Moe Gift med Gjertrud
(41) Anders Rasmussen Næs
(43) Adam Grichsen Opheim Myndig Sønnesøndattersøn
(44) Einer Andersen Opheim Gift med Karen
(45) John Adamsen Reutz 57 Aar ?
(46) Ole Reutz 49 Aar
(47) Hans Andersen Rumohr Død Søn
(50) Niels Jensen Sterrie
(53) Ciulia Clausdatter 21 Aar Datter
(54) Lucris Hansdatter 21 Aar Sønnedatter (bp 25 Mar 1803 Sogndal)
(55) Karen Adamsdatter Død Sønnesøndatter (buried 15 Mar 1812, born about 1761)
(56) Karen Erichsdatter Sønnesøndatterdatter
(57) Johanes Erichsen ? Sønnesøndattersøn
(62) Christopher Grichsen Opheim Myndig Sønnesøndattersøn
(63) Margrethe Erichsdatter Sønnesøndatterdatter
(64) Adamsdatter Død Sønnedatter
(65) Claus ? ? Død Søn
(66) Tosten Andersen Alme Sønnedattersøn (bp 10 Feb 1788)
(68) Sønneva Hermundsdatter Hunderie 20 Aar Sønnedatterdatter (bp 24 Nov 1799 Hafslo)
(69) Niels Hansen Svædalen Gift med Kirstie

Edited by - Holly on 26/04/2008 08:04:18
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article