All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 SHIPS AND VOYAGES
 The voyage
 Feeder ships from Denmark to England?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jon
Starting member

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 17/06/2008 :  23:44:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Danish emigrants who did not depart "direckte" on a transatlantic ship from Copenhagen to U.S. departed "indirekte", which I understand means other European ports. I know many probably took a train to Hamburg or Bremen, but were there feeder ships that left from Copenhagen to Hull, England, just like feeder ships that departed from Oslo or Goteborg to Hull, England? Or did the ships from Oslo, Stavanger, or Goteborg stop first in Copenhagen and pick up Danish emigrants on the way to Hull?
Are there any records that identify names and dates of feeder ships that departed from Copenhagen?
Thanks.
Jon

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 18/06/2008 :  11:21:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Perhaps you need The Danish Emigration Archives
Go to Top of Page

Jon
Starting member

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 19/06/2008 :  02:26:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hopkins,

I appreciate receiving your reply. However, I have examined the Danish Emigration web site thoroughly and I cannot find any info there that answers my questions specifically about feeder ships, routes, etc. If that info is there, please let me know.
Thanks.
Jon
Go to Top of Page

Borge
Veteran Moderator

Norway
1293 Posts

Posted - 19/06/2008 :  09:52:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Jon

Yes, there were (is) also feeder routes from Denmark to England (Esbjerg - Harwich), but not as far as I know by the Wilson Line. There might have been a route to Hull.I will see if I can provide some more information about that later.

Concerning your previous question about Cuba, I would suggest one of the large German lines, which had extensive routes to South American ports. Train from Denmark to Hamburg or Bremen...

Børge Solem
Go to Top of Page

Lislcat
Advanced member

USA
690 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2008 :  05:43:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jon,
List all the info you are looking for and those of us that are both Norwegian and Danish, may be able to help you.
Wanda

Lislcat
Go to Top of Page

Jon
Starting member

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 25/06/2008 :  15:56:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi. Wanda & Borge,
Thanks for your replies. I am researching Frederik Petersen, Danish emigrant (registration date 18 Sept 1879) who departed "indirekte". I do not know if he took a train to Hamburg or Bremen, or if he took a feeder ship to England, so was trying to learn about feeder ships from Denmark. If he took a feeder ship from a Denmark port, are there any passenger records of that? I have the impression that "indirekte" probably meant the emigrant probably took a train to Germany. I have searched Ancestry.com passenger records and Canada's passenger records and cannot find his immigrant record. I have tried many spelling variations and wildcards, and the closest I have come is a F. Pedersen who arrived on the Saratoga in 1880 from Cuba, along with several other Danes. That is why I have been posting about European routes to Cuba.
Thanks.
Jon
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article