All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 SHIPS AND VOYAGES
 The ships
 what is "et kons"?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

thelebrity

Norway
234 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2002 :  15:10:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anybody know what "et kons" means in this context (the text is from a danish letter written in 1903 and printed in Adresseavisen, so I'm not sure if the word is norwegian or danish):
"..om eftermiddagen gik der plutselig Brud paa styrbords Maskin under et "Kons"..."

Per Helge Seglsten

Borge
Veteran Moderator

Norway
1293 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2002 :  16:10:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Per Helge - 2 questions
1. Are you sure that is the word?
2. What is the rest of the sentence? (give us some more of the context please)

Børge Solem
Go to Top of Page

thelebrity

Norway
234 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2002 :  21:25:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
here is more:
Tirsdag den 17de Februar om Eftermiddagen gik der plutselig Brud på Styrbords Maskin under et "Kons", og Maskinen maatte stanses; med mindsket Fart gik vi frem for Bagbords Maskine alene, medens alle Mand gik i Gang med at reparere den havarerede..."

Here is more from an extract of the hearing held after the enquiery of the accident:
"Omtr. 15. Min. senere maatte St. B.'s Maskine stoppes som Følge af at Lavtryks-Hovedlejer vare sprengte, og Boltene saaledes ikke kunne holde Dækslerne paa Plads."

here is still more from a danish newspaper:
"Kaptajnen kunde dog snart roe Gemytterne med, at det kun var den ene Skrue, som var bleven ubrukelig, i det Lejerne, hvor Urlen hviler, var gaaede i Stykker."

None of the other descriptions of the accidents uses the word Kons, and i t might be some kind of slang or dialect or a sailor's term.

Per Helge Seglsten
Go to Top of Page

thelebrity

Norway
234 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2002 :  02:20:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jeg har fått foreslått via en dansk nyhetsgruppe at ordet "kons" muligens skal være "rovs" altså når skipet jobber i så høye bølger at propellen plutselig står over vann og arbeider helt vilt. Det høres plausiblet ut. Ordet står i en artikkel i Adresseavisen for 23. mars 1903 på side 2, og denne avisen er skannet og nettutlagt på nasjonalbibliotekets hjemmesider (under samlinger/avissamlingen). Problemet er bare at jeg for tiden ikke klarer å hente opp avisteksten. Er det noen andre som får til, hadde det vært spennende om dere kunne sjekke dette. Avissidene kan zoomes inn og forstørres, slik at det skulle være mulig å få en endelig avklaring.

Per Helge Seglsten
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article