All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Looking for Kristiansen's
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Ingrid Yost
Starting member

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2008 :  02:03:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello,
I am new to this and looking for direction. I am trying to find information on my father's family. I know from the 1900 census records that my grandmother Ingrid Kristiansen was born 1 Dec. 1897 in Vagen Parish. This was the first stumbling block because my grandmother claimed to be 2 years older than the record states. I presume this is the right record since the names of her parents and siblings matched the information I already knew.
My grandmother claimed to be 18 when my father was born 22 Oct 1914 and that her husband Olaf (Stavern/Slavern)?? was a merchant sailor who was killed Sept. 1914 when his ship was torpedoed by the Germans.
She said that they came to the US in 1918 but I can find no records to match this information. I did find an Ingrid Kristiansen who arrived NY on 29 May 1916 on the Kristianiafjord. The age at arrival seems to match but that passenger was listed as single and did not have a child with her.
She was married to Olaf Hansen here in the US possibly in the Jamestown NY area. Unknown on what year...he must have adopted my father since this is the surname my dad went by.
I have not been able to locate any records for my father given name Konrad Meier.
Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Ingrid Yost

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2008 :  02:25:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You seem to say that you know the names of Ingrid's parents and siblings but then don't share that information here. It would be very helpful for you to give that information to us.

One possibility based on the limited info provided -- a young girl in Vågan district of Nordland, Norway in the 1900 Norwegian census.
http://www.rhd.uit.no/folketellinger/ftliste_e.aspx?ft=1900&knr=1865&kenr=005&bnr=0116&lnr=00

Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2008 :  02:51:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There were two different steam ships named "Kristianiafjord".
The first took passsengers from Oslo (Kristiania), Kristiansand, Stavanger, Bergen to New York from 1912 to 1917. In June of 1917 that ship was wrecked and lost in a storm.
The second "Kristianiafjord" wasn't built until 1920.
Go to Top of Page

Ingrid Yost
Starting member

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2008 :  03:27:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My great-grandparents were Johan Kristiansen and Nilsine. The one you directed me to is the record I also found. Bjarne grew up to become the CEO of Bulls Presypjanst (not sure of the spelling) in Stockholm. I am not sure of the reason but his last name was changed to Steinsvik (something to do with a divorce) he had 2 sons Botten and Helge. I don't know if he had any other children.
The 1910 census may be of more help because there is still a brother Harald, who was younger than Bjarne.
The emigration record I found was for the first Kristianiafjord in May 1916.
The other thing I am curious about are the 2 additional residents of the household Maren Joakimsen and Ingebrigt Sivertsen. I do not recognize those names but I also do not speak Norwegian so I cannot figure if they are relatives or not.

Ingrid Yost
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2008 :  03:57:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is important that you spell the location properly -- Vågan district/parish of Nordland, Norway. There are other areas in Norway called Vågå and Vågen and you don't want to start researching in the wrong area.

I don't speak Norwegian either - but there are many online aides you can use to translate many of the words you encounter.
http://homepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~norway/census_abbreviations.html
http://home.online.no/~otjoerge/files/word.htm

Good information to study for those "new to this" -
http://homepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~norway/articles.html

Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2008 :  06:59:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know if your info about your grandmothers birth date came from a baptisimal record, anyway it is #15 (girls) - she was baptized Ingrid Kristine May 27 1899.
Her parents were John Severin Kristiansen and Nilsine Bertine Andersen, they were married when the first child Alfhild Margit was born Nov 5 1891, see #9

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 14/10/2008 07:51:56
Go to Top of Page

Ingrid Yost
Starting member

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2008 :  08:09:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the information. I will make sure to use the full location information.

To the person who found the baptisimal record... if possible can you give me an internet link. If not could you please see if you can find any records of my father Konrad Meier born 22/10/1914, Vagan parish of Norland. Unfortunately I do not know a surname, as my father was adopted by his step-father after they emigrated to th US.

Ingrid Yost
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2008 :  09:37:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Parish records can be found at Digitalarkivet
The 2 additional residents of the household Maren Joakimsen and Ingebrigt Sivertsen were supported by poor relief but not likely related to John (Johan) Kristiansen and his family.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 14/10/2008 15:11:20
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2008 :  10:32:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Konrad was christened Sept. 9. 1914 in Vågan church, he was born out of wedloc to worker Ingolf Aalberg born 1896 and Constanse Margrethe Nilsen born 1887 #61

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 14/10/2008 22:23:47
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2008 :  10:48:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ingolf Aalberg on Svinøen in Vågan with parents and three brothers in 1900

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 14/10/2008 22:24:16
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2008 :  14:54:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kåre,
Konrad Meier born 22/10/1914, was the son of Ingrid Kristiansen (actually Andersen) born 1 Dec. 1897 in Vagen Parish and born out of wedlock, the father being Olaf (Stavern/Slavern)?? - so how can Konrad (Ingolfson) born Aug 10 and christened Sept. 29. 1914 mother being Konstanse Margrethe Nilsen come into the picture??
In the official register by the way is noted that this Konrad was adopted by Ove Nikolaisen and his wife Julie Sjursen (Ove Nikolaisen was born in 1885)

Einar
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2008 :  15:02:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ingrid, last evening I gave you a couple of links to good study material. I suggest you continue to read and use those but I must also pass along my standard advice for starting to use the online scanned Norwegian church records.

The Digitalarkivet web site has been adding scanned images of the original Norwegian parish church records for anyone with Internet access since November 2005.

The Digitalarkivet web site - http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/WebFront.exe?slag=vis&tekst=meldingar
An English option is available by clicking on that word from either the left hand column or the blue link bar along the bottom of the homepage.
The scanned images are available from the homepage link "Skanna kyrkjebøker" [Norwegian version]/"Digitised parish records" [English version] which is listed along the left hand column and from the blue banner of links along the top section of the homepage.
After you've clicked on that link and a new main page has presented on the screen be sure and read the instructions that are available from the Digitalarkivet for navigating the scanned records. The instructions are available in Bokmål (official Norwegian), Nyorsk (Norwegian), Davvisámegiella (Saami), and English.
Recommended basic reading are the "Startsiden" [Norwegian version]/"Main page" [English version], "Brukerveiledning" [Norwegian version]/"User's guide" [English version] and "Om tjenesten" [Norwegian version]/"About this service" [English version].

Good information about translating the formats of Norwegian parish church records during various time periods, many of the basic terms used and understanding how to use the information should be studied at this web site -
http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~norway/na20.html
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2008 :  15:05:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ingrid, do you have other FIRM information that the son Konrad was born in Vågan? Could his mother have moved from there before the birth?

The 1900 Norwegian census shows one Olaf Stavern --
Skogn district in Nord-Trøndelag

Edited by - Hopkins on 14/10/2008 15:14:14
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2008 :  16:07:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry, I misunderstood Konrads birthday, I looks like he perhaps was born in another parish.

Kåre
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2008 :  17:02:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In case Olaf Stavern from the 1900-census, Skogn was Konrads father, his baptismal record is #17
his parents were Laurits Johannesen (1860) and Martha Oline Olausdatter (1856). The proof is Olafs confirmation record from sept 30 1900, see #3

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 17/10/2008 16:17:57
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2008 :  21:15:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ingrid Kristiansen left Trondheim May 15 1915 heading for Tauton, Minn. see 169081
No Konrad listed though.
If he called himself Konrad Meier, it would probably be of interest to know that the teacher at the elementary school in Vågan in 1900 was Anton Meyer.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 14/10/2008 21:21:33
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article